And The Rest Goes To . . . My Hippocampus?

Submitted into Contest #57 in response to: Write a story that starts with someone writing their will — one they know people won’t like.... view prompt

135 comments

Funny Fantasy

I carefully brought my shaking hand onto the yellowing parchment. The large calligraphy at the crown of the paper read Last Will and Testament.

 It was no secret that I would soon become a mortal, not for a myriad of reasons, but for one enormous one. I was diagnosed with Euphorium Aglacia Dernis, a harmful disease that slowly drives away all immortality from gods. 

The quill connected with the old paper, and in circular, swirling motions, I inscribed the words, “I, Chantara, goddess of waterfalls, give my last will and testament of being immortal.” 

I wasn’t confident in knowing what to write, for elemental gods are meant to live forever, not become a foolish mortal at the age of 25,000 decades.

 I continue to write, saying, “I give 250,185 gold wreaths to my husband, Agni, the god of wildfire. I bestow my palace to my daughter, Alinta, and my pure, white stallion to my son, Bourne, along with my golden chariot. I give 200,000 silver wreaths to my forever friend, Pietro, the god of sculpture. And I give the rest of my fortune to my hippocampus, Conch.” 

I closed my eyes, took a deep, shaky breath, and signed the parchment, my name glimmering as the sun reflected off of the ink through the large window pane. I could have named plenty of people that would not be happy with the scroll, but nonetheless, I rolled the paper into a tight cylinder, and placed it on my silver countertop, embellished with art of the gods. 

Pietro did it himself, it was one of his best creations. He wasn’t one of the Elementals, but one of the Creatives. The Elementals and Creatives were enemies, so our friendship was a secret, but when I became human, everyone would know of our close relationship. Pietro would live in shame for a few thousand years, but then the Creative Council would immediately forgive him. The Elemental Court would not be so forgiving. We would lose our immortality for 100 years, which isn’t any time at all for us gods, but for humans, it seems like a millennia they have to endure. 

I walked over to the immense waterfall in my lounge, my heels clicking against the wooden floorboards. I warped the water into a large circular mass, blue light glowing from my fingertips. The water morphed into a large dolphin, in which I handed the scroll over to. The dolphin’s watery substance brushed my hand, leaving a trace of small wet droplets. The dolphin released a shrill whistle and flew (or swam, I tried not to wrap my mind around it, it would keep me wondering for days) out the open window. 

After I was confident the animal had delivered the scroll to the Elemental Court, I rose from the velvet couch and opened the golden double doors next to the lounge, revealing a shimmering spectacle. 

The immense pool in front of me was coated in pristine quartz along the perimeter of the water, sparkling as the sun shone beams of light at it, causing the whole room to feel bright and free. In the crystal clear pool, swimming cheerfully was my amazing Conch, my hippocampus. The top half of him was a horse while the rear end of him had a tail like a mermaid. 

I hop into the pool, sprouting a tail that replaced my legs. It was a metallic, gleaming tail that began with a purple peak and faded into a magnificent blue. My top was a soft baby blue waterproof fabric adorned with beautiful seashells. 

My hippocampus whinnied and swam over to me in no time at all.

“Oh, good morning, Conch.” I purred. “Have you been a good boy?” Conch neighed and then nestled his muzzle into my palm. I laughed and then pulled out an ambrosia cube from the stash in my pocket ( yes, I had pockets in my tail ) and cast it out to the other side of the sparkling pool water. Conch swam swiftly to the other side, and caught the delicious square in his mouth. He swam back and snorted, pleading for more. 

I obliged, placing my hand in my pocket, revealing two more cubes of ambrosia. He happily gnawed at them, finishing them off and then diving happily into the depths of the water. 

I giggled to myself and then got out of the pool, my tail immediately separated into legs, my blue dress came back, and all of the pearls lining the hem were still there.

When I walked out of the door, I was greeted with the faces of the Elemental Court. A rainbow image of them. Rainbow images are what we immortals use to communicate. Oh, goody! I thought to myself. 

“Mrs. Cordelia” said Darya, the minor goddess of the sea. Also known as Poisedon’s daughter. Also known as my mother. She was wearing a crown made of seashells resting atop her blond hair that matched mine. A sleeveless white dress hugged her body at the top and flowed out at the bottom, embellished with an ocean print at the very tip. It wasn’t very fancy, but my mother liked to keep things simple. 

“Just call me Cordelia.” I said, rolling my eyes dramatically. 

“Cordelia.” said Dion, the god of earth. He was wearing a kind countenance and a simple green toga, tattoos of plants climbing up his arm. I was one of the few who knew that if Dion got angry, those plants could leap from his arm and fight somebody. I hadn’t seen it in action, but Dion had shown me when I was younger. 

“You have interacted with Pietro, the god of sculpture, a Creative. You know what consequences will fall upon him. Do you stand by your decision?” said Shula, the goddess of fire. Her outfit was eye catching, a vibrant cropped red shirt and black leggings matching the color of ashes. She was wearing a jacket that was made out of fire, which I figured was a really smart way to keep warm. With her chopped black hair and multiple piercings, Shula looked like what humans called “bad girls”. I had read a book with characters describing the way she looked. She was most likely my least favorite member of the Court. 

“My decision is permanent. I’m not taking it back. And yes, I know the consequences. But those aren’t your decision. They’re the Creative Councils.” I replied coolly.

Brisa, goddess of weather, and the youngest member of the council, replied in a soft voice, “Yes, we know. But this is not what we came to tell you. We wanted to give you a goodbye.”

I was speechless. “You-you what?”

“We wanted to say goodbye.” My mother said. She reached her arm out, but passed through me. “We won’t be able to communicate to you when you become mortal. I just want you to know that I love you, though I might not- project it sometimes.” My mother recovered, and then walked out of sight.

“Goodbye, Cor.” Dion called me by the nickname I only let him call me. He vanished.

“Farewell.” Brise said, and then vanished. 

Shula was the only one that remained. “Listen. I know you might not like me. And that’s fine. But I don’t want you to go immortal thinking that I hated you. Cause I don’t.” The rainbow image ended. 

I walked over to my couch and sobbed until there were no tears left for me to cry. 

The next day, after a long night, was my appointment to the physician. I slipped out of my pajamas and hopped into blue denim jeans and a purple top. I slid into my shining golden chariot and directed my horses over to the medic’s clinic.

When I arrived, I was greeted by the physician, Dr. Morrey. “Good morning.” he said cheerfully. 

“Morning,” I replied tiredly. 

He took me into his office, and asked, “How are you doing?” 

Awful! I am about to die and he has the audacity to ask me how I’m doing?! “I’m great.” I plastered a fake smile on my face, which he seemed to buy. 

“Wonderful!” he responded. He tested my vision and my hearing, and then he injected a syringe into my arm, which would inform him when I was going to lose my immortality. He walked out of the room, leaving me to think about being a mortal. 

My days would be limited, I wouldn’t have powers, my husband, my kids, or Conch. A single tear rolled down my cheeks. 

The doctor walked back in, a bent syringe resting in his hand, a piece of old parchment paper in his arm, and a shocked look on his face. 

“When am I going to pass?” I cringed, expecting the worse. 

“You’re healed. You’re not going to become mortal anymore.”

 I jumped out of the bed. “Seriously?” When he nodded, I hugged him. “Thankyouthankyouthankyou!” I exclaimed, hopping up and down.

“Wait.” I hesitate. “But that means that everything I own-left with my family and friends, just moved to the other side of Olympus yesterday. So I just lost all my family, my friends, and everything I own?”

September 03, 2020 20:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

135 comments

22:47 Sep 18, 2020

New comment thread!

Reply

22:49 Sep 18, 2020

Scarlett: Yes, we could!! :)))))))))) I know! I had a zombie story almost finished and BAM!! New prompts on apocolypes! Smeet!! Guess what? Before I met you, I had been writing a novel and the main characters name was...Scarlett! Crazy, right?!

Reply

17:11 Sep 23, 2020

Totally!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:30 Sep 03, 2020

A couple things: 1. Insipired by Percy Jackson! 2. Pietro is my FAVORITE Marvel superhero, so I HAD to include him!! 3. I will write a Part 2 ASAP!!

Reply

22:38 Sep 03, 2020

1. Makes sense!! Love your own creative spin, tho ;) 2. Coool 3. YOU BEEEEEETTER

Reply

21:39 Sep 05, 2020

1. Thanks 2. Do you like Marvel? If so, who's your favorite? 3. I WILL!! :)

Reply

21:40 Sep 05, 2020

2. Nope, I don’t watch/read/I dunno marvel! But coool

Reply

21:48 Sep 05, 2020

YOU HAVE TO!! It's SO good! Harry Potter?? Do you like Harry Potter?? Here's a story for you: So when I saw Jacob Chase as 1st place, I was like, wow, a lot must have happened in the night. And so I scrolled down on the leaderboard to see what place YOU were in. And then, when I didn't see you ANYWHERE, I was super upset, and I was like, "Okay, three things could have happened. One, someone downvoted everything that Aerin did. Two, AERIN DELETED HER ACCOUNT!!! :(((( Or three, Aerin's account got murdered by a serial killer virus. I HOPE it's...

Reply

22:04 Sep 05, 2020

HAHAHAHAHA! Okay, that’s kinda what I wanted to happen!! PERFECT REACTION! Pranks are fun!! But I’m honored you were sad when I was ‘gone’ and you were relieved when I ammmm JC ☺️ Thanks for the vote of confidence! 😄😄 Oh, and ‘serial killer virus’—GOSH I love this. Can I quote you on that? I often use people’s comments as quotes in the Dailys and ‘Aerin's account got murdered by a serial killer virus.’ is perfect. Mind me quoting you? Anyways, haha, thanks for the laughs! I’m gonna go read more notifications then proofread, so byeee!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lulu Lemon
23:42 Sep 05, 2020

Hi!! Wow!! This story was so awesome! Great job. I Loved it! Please make part 2 ASAP!! ( If you could please check my bio, it's not very important, I just don't want you to think I was ignoring you (You will understand if you read it))

Reply

16:07 Sep 08, 2020

Hi!!! I was wondering where you went!!! Thank you so much! I will!!!!! Okay, taking a look right now!! :)

Reply

Lulu Lemon
22:52 Sep 10, 2020

Hi! I am back now. I just came back from my trip!

Reply

03:33 Sep 11, 2020

Yay! I was missing you!! I couldn't last without our random conversations!! Where did you go?? Did you have a good time?? :)

Reply

03:35 Sep 11, 2020

BTW, I have some news!! I have 491 Karma Points!!

Reply

04:16 Sep 11, 2020

Also, spoiler for a story, your name is in it!! The main character is named Lemon, after you and Blair Lemon!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:55 Sep 11, 2020

Awesome story! Great twist on the prompt.

Reply

16:57 Sep 11, 2020

Aww, thank you! Are you doing a story this week??

Reply

16:58 Sep 11, 2020

Hopefully! Are you?

Reply

17:00 Sep 11, 2020

I think so!! I have a plan to do one of the newer ones. What about you? Are you doing one of the older prompts, or one of the newer ones? If it's the older, I can help you to finish todayyy!

Reply

17:03 Sep 11, 2020

Cool! I can't wait to read it! I started a story this week but I am probably not going to finish today so I will find a way to incorporate one of the newer prompts into it. How do you write such good stories? Do you have any tips perhaps?

Reply

17:06 Sep 11, 2020

If you need any help, let me know! I am totally up for it!! Well, I think that descriptions are definitely great! You need to be able to picture the scene in your head. And then have some funny lines to make the story more enjoyable! That's pretty much all I take into consideration when I write, let me know if this helps!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Emma Sunshine
00:18 Sep 26, 2020

good story, i liked the humor

Reply

20:52 Oct 03, 2020

Thank you, Emma!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
12:28 Sep 11, 2020

Is this intended as a shaggy dog story? Lots of build up for a pretty minor punch line? I'm asking because I thought I held the franchise rights on that one. I mean, after Dr. Asimov passed away. Too bad the editing stage is past, because a title change might be "The Will of the Gods." Clearly, these are gods in a modern era, because they have modern trappings- pajamas and denim jeans. That means you could lace every passage with some little snarky reference or another but of humor. For example - " It was no secret that I would s...

Reply

15:48 Sep 11, 2020

Wow! Thank you for all of the critiques, I will try to use them in my other stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:59 Sep 10, 2020

Hey, this was a very well written story, great job! I loved all of the descriptions, and I can't wait for a Part 2!

Reply

22:15 Sep 10, 2020

Thank you so much! And yes, there will! You'll just have to wait for it to come out!!

Reply

22:15 Sep 10, 2020

Hehe

Reply

16:37 Sep 11, 2020

:)

Reply

17:04 Sep 11, 2020

Congrats on the twins! How is it?

Reply

17:07 Sep 11, 2020

Aww, thank you!! It's great, actually! They are SOOOO cute and I love just snuggling with them!! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
18:10 Sep 10, 2020

Hey kylie i read ur stories and and found them brilliant

Reply

18:11 Sep 10, 2020

Awww, thank you so much!!!

Reply

18:11 Sep 10, 2020

That's so nice!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
18:12 Sep 10, 2020

Would u mind reading my stories as well and then just hit a like Pls

Reply

18:14 Sep 10, 2020

You underestimate me... I will comment, like, and UPVOTE!!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
18:24 Sep 10, 2020

Ohh thanks a lott

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Fantastic!! Woooww!! The way you make your words flow is just so amazing. You use plenty (but not too much) of description so your story was very vivid and I felt like I was right there. In some parts of this story she sounded older (when she says she has a daughter and a son) but others it felt like she was younger (´“Thankyouthankyouthankyou!” I exclaimed, hopping up and down.´) so you might have wanted to change that to make it sound like the same person. Overall, I think this story was awesomeeeeeee. :D

Reply

16:10 Sep 08, 2020

Thank you!! The reason why she was sounding younger is because she literally forgot EVERYTHING else. Like, totally didn't care that she was a goddess and she was like millenia old, and she was SO happy, so that's why she was like that! Does that make sense? :)

Reply

You Are Most Welcomeee. Ohhhhhh ok. Yeah it does.

Reply

18:49 Sep 08, 2020

Great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. . .
20:44 Oct 03, 2020

This story was great! I loved all of the descriptions and the creative ideas! I liked this part: Awful! I am about to die and he has the audacity to ask me how I’m doing?! It was hilarious! Nice work!

Reply

20:45 Oct 03, 2020

Thank you so much, Siena! Also, welcome to Reedsy! ( you're new, right? )

Reply

. . .
20:46 Oct 03, 2020

You're welcome! Also, thanks, I am!

Reply

20:46 Oct 03, 2020

Okay, great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
נιмму 🤎
21:38 Sep 08, 2020

💖💝💛💛💛💚💚💚💝💝❤️❤️💜💜💜 this was so creative and a very interesting read. You really grabbed your reader's attention, good job Kylie! I hope to read more of your stuff soon✨

Reply

19:14 Sep 22, 2020

♡♡♡♡ Thank you so much!! That's so nice of you!! ♡♡♡♡

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
00:01 Sep 04, 2020

Loved this! Read your first one as well! This was super creative! Haven’t read Greek mythology but I know a bit about this! The emotions felt really raw and your descriptions were amazing😊! Hope you’re staying safe!

Reply

04:19 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you so much!! That's so nice!!

Reply

Doubra Akika
09:04 Sep 04, 2020

My pleasure honestly! If you get the chance, would you mind checking out my recent story? I’d really love your feedback!

Reply

15:48 Sep 04, 2020

Totally! :)

Reply

Doubra Akika
16:39 Sep 04, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:36 Sep 03, 2020

THIS WAS AMAZING!! Your plot is insanely creative and your writing is *chefs kiss* perfect. First of all, I love any sort of story with gods and goddesses, and this reminded me of Percy Jackson. But you took it to a whole ‘nother level! Creatives and Elementals is soooo, well, creative, and YAY! Hippocampus!! Love it. Second, your writing was completely flawless! Grammatically/punctuation-y/spelling-y: I didn’t find any mistakes. Also, regularly! You picked all the right words to weave into these awesome scenes...idk, this story just had rea...

Reply

23:07 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you SO much!! (Hint Hint: I am going to try and create some more groups in the next one) This is so nice of you!!!!!! :) Um, YES!! So excited to read it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
01:29 Nov 23, 2020

Kylie, Hello! I finally got around to your story!! :) I absolutely loved this one! The title was super intriguing (I was going through all of your story titles and I was like, oooh this one looks interesting!)! I think you nailed this prompt right on the head! The ending was really good as well! Will there be another part? If so, please tell me! Please do tell me every time you write a new story! :) - Felicity

Reply

18:53 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you so much! Yes, there will be another part!

Reply

Felicity Anne
19:01 Nov 23, 2020

Yay!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raymond Kelly
16:59 Oct 21, 2020

A very good story, you maintain a built world and your character tries to deal with the consequences of... Her descision? Some random virus? I think that got a bit muddled; and you left the prompt after the start. Maybe if you had explored the gods fighting over her stuff, or the negative side effects of her descision were better explored, or maybe the love interest actually came into the story and participated—I really don't know. I do like the world and I feel like you could run with it.

Reply

23:27 Oct 21, 2020

These are all very great ideas that I wish I had come up with!! Thank you so much, Raymond!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:08 Sep 22, 2020

You’re soooooo talanted in writing🥺. I hope I could be as good as every other writer I found in Reedsy😩

Reply

19:04 Sep 22, 2020

Aww, thank you! Your writing is awesome, though, so THAT'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!! If you write for a long time, you eventually get better, that's what I've learned! I've been writing for 3 years now! Just keep practicing! :( Somebody is downvoting ALL OF THE COMMENTS on this story :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
01:03 Sep 18, 2020

The plot twist was so unexpected, it was super enjoyable to read!

Reply

17:35 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you! :)

Reply

. .
02:05 Sep 19, 2020

Np!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:03 Sep 11, 2020

Very clever response to this prompt. I hadn't ever thought of gods getting diseases before. Cool story.

Reply

20:51 Sep 11, 2020

Thank you! I hadn't either, but I had a visual in my mind of a goddess writing a will, but then I remembered that goddesses. can. not. DIE! So I had to find a way to work around it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jose Gonzalez
08:09 Sep 11, 2020

Keep writing. Good things are coming for you keep up the good work

Reply

15:48 Sep 11, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
18:33 Sep 10, 2020

Thanks for a thoroughly witty and enjoyable story. Very inventive!

Reply

18:39 Sep 10, 2020

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.