27 comments

Friendship Funny

Definitions ~

In Greek, Selene means ☾

In Ancient Rome, Aelia means ☀

☀☾

Spotty and white. That’s the colors of the moon. Or was it gray? Looking at it here I can’t really tell. But it sure is beautiful, this is what I have been waiting for, this is what I wanted to see. The moon. The magnificent moon. Its a full circle tonight, and we are sitting right in front of it. How lucky are we to sit right in front of it! The ocean reflects the moon sending ripples through its body. The stars paint the black sky with yellow spots. I see a shooting star but I am too in awe too make a wish.

“Aelia” my good friend calls out my name.

“What?”

“Do you remember the sun?” Selene asks.

“No. I do not care for the sun. I am sick of the sun.”

“I am sick of the moon.” Selene responds. To that I do not respond.

“How could you even like the moon?” Selene keeps going.

“Its pretty and nice. Its not to bright but everyone knows its what lights up the darkness. The moon controls the sea, it gives rest to the sun. We sleep through the beauty, it is a shame. How could you even like the sun?”

“The sun brings life, nature and–”

“–So does the moon.” I interrupt.

“Aelia”

“Yes.”

“Shut up and let me finish.” To that I say nothing.

“The sun brings life, nature and sight.” Selene stops.

“That’s it?” I ask her.

“The Sun speaks for itself, its works speak for the earth. You’ll see.”

“The moon speaks for itself too. Yet nobody appreciates what it brings. They sleep through it and wake till the bright light of the sun.”

“They do not appreciate the sun. They rise with it and proceed to complain of the sun approaching too early.”

“Selene.”

“What?” she responds.

“Your jealous spirit is ruining the beauty of the moon.”

“How you call a chunk of rock ”beauty” amazes me”

“How dare you!”

“Fine, I do agree it does have an amazing view. But it does nothing for the earth.” Selene says.

“It does.”

“Compared to the sun–”

“Stop comparing it to the sun.” I seethe out. “You like everyone else are too blind by the sun to see the beauty of the moon, I refuse to be like you.”

“There is a reason why the sun lies in the middle of all the planets. And there is a reason why the moon is the side kick.”

“A side kick? The moon covers the sun for half of the day”

“You mean –part of the sun,” Selene corrects.

“I don’t really like you.” I tell her.

“I feel the same.”

“Then why are we friends?”

“Good question.” Selene says.

“Got an answer?”

“We coexist. We can be near each other, ‘friendship’ is the modern definition of coexistence”

“I never thought of it that way.” I say as I stare back at the moon. She doesn’t respond.

“I was joking, you know?” I say.

“About what? What are you talking about”

“I do like you. I just hate you 90 percent of the time.”

“That doesn’t make it any better.” Selene responds.

“Most of my head is filled with the moon. Yours the sun. You hate the moon, I adore the moon. Your in love with the sun and I find it boring and stupid. The 10 percent is my love for other things you have the same feelings for.”

“Oh. Anyways, why are we out here again” Selene says ignoring my statement. My eyebrows twitch with anger.

“We. Are. Out. Here too watch the moon!” I hold up my elbow and jab it right in her stomach. Satisfied at her screaming I lay back on our blanket.

“Anyways, I just love the moon how about you? Selene.” I ask her with sarcastic-ness. Suddenly I feel a grip on my hair and suddenly I am thrown into the ocean. I feel warm water comes out of my nose.

“Oh look at that, your much closer to the moon now. Stay right there Aelia I’ll take a picture.” she says with cruel laughter

“That’s nice but I think it would be better if you were here with me!” I reach out and grab her legs she falls backward right in there with me. She comes out coughing and yapping.

“Aww whats wrong? Can’t swim?” She responds by slapping me in the face. I fist slap her back…and soon we are fighting in the sea.

This goes on for awhile– so lets fast forward.

We lay on the blankets with fresh new clothes. Bruised lips and a piece of hershey kisses in our mouth. Its one of the few things we can agree on.

“Selene.”

“What!? This night has been nothing but disaster–”

“Um, let me finish.” I interrupt her rant, I feel her glare in the dark.

“Do you remember the point of this trip?” I ask her to no response, so I answer to myself.

“It was for the both of us to see the Moon and Sun. And why we each love them, it was to admit– to try to admit what we like about what each other likes. I’m sorry for jabbing you in the stomach but I hate to be ignored.”

“…” she stays silent. I lift up my elbow once more aiming for her stomach–

“You’re right.” she says, and I carefully put my elbow away “I’m sorry too I should not have thrown you into the ocean/sea–whatever”

“Lets talk about the sun.”

“Its beautiful!” Selene says with excitement.

“Its also hot.”

“Right!!?”

“No– thats not what I meant.”

“You say what you like about the sun. I’ll do the same for the moon.”

I stay silent. She stays silent.

“Well…?” Selene says.

“Well what?”

“Aren’t you going to go?”

“I thought you were going first.” I respond.

“No.” she responds.

“The moon is right here in our face, I think you should go.”

“Fine, then you go right after.” Selene says with a humph.

“Kay!”

“The moon is… is… is… indescribable. Yes, the moon is indescribable.”

“No you gotta describe what you like about it.”

“The word speaks for the moon.” Selene responds and I can tell shes smirking. “Your turn”

“When the sun appears I will tell you.”

“Thats not–” I yawn loudly interrupting her.

“I’m tired. Lets go to sleep and awake with the sun.” I say as I bring out my sleeping bag.

“That will be the best part.” she says as she gets her sleeping bag.

“No. The best part is falling asleep with the moon shining on our faces.”

“I thought you said you would never be like the people who fall asleep ignoring the moon and awaken with the sun?”

“I never said that.” I respond.

“You did.”

“You obviously misunderstood.”

“Then what did you say?”

“I will never be like the humans who do not acknowledge the moon.” I respond my eyes slipping.

“You say that but you do not acknowledge the sun.”

“I do. I see everything it does, I simply believe the moon is cooler. But without either we all die. They must coexist for us to stay alive. You do not see that, you are the problem.”

“I am not.” she responds quickly.

“Good night Selene.”

“Bad night Aelia.” Selene snarks.

“That’s not nice.”

“Fine, good night”

☀☾

“WAKE UP AELIA!!” Selene yells right in my face.

“Please get out of my face” I wipe the droplets of spit she spat out on my face.

“Look! LOOK!” she yells pointing over at the ocean.

I look over and right right in front of us is the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen. Of course it does not beat the moon but whatever. It feels like the earth has awaken from a long nap, birds fly in the sky as the sun hits my face. The sunrise lifts more and more into the sky. Breathtaking.

I watch in awe. And Selene is practically drooling. But soon I get used to it, as the sun takes its precious time I lose my precious interest.

“Selene.” I call out to my good friend.

“What?”

“Do you remember the moon?”

May 05, 2021 04:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

ALINA Manha
19:20 Jun 08, 2021

Hello! Ugochi! How are ya? How're the holidays Goin? I have tell you this story is amazing!!! The friendship is so cute. Like I wish I could have such friends you know? Overall I love it! 10/10

Reply

04:23 Jun 29, 2021

Hey Alina sorry for the late reply! I took a little break but I am back now! I'm doing good now that school is over, I have been so chill and happy! How about you! Well not much Holidays happen over the summer but summer break has been great! Thank you so much Alina!!

Reply

ALINA Manha
13:05 Jul 01, 2021

It's okay, no need to apologize. That's great. Everyone needs a break sometimes. Great! Well, for me summer break is going to start in 2 weeks and I am really excited about it cause I did not read or do any writing or anything for the matter since the start of the new school year. It was very hard to not do any reading, writing and baking but hopefully it is all worth it in the end. That is good to hear. At least it was fun, right? My pleasure! 😊

Reply

03:42 Jul 26, 2021

Ohh nice! I know you're on break right now, how is it so far? Are you doing fun things! Yeaah it wasss! How are you? I hope everything is well!

Reply

ALINA Manha
14:42 Jul 26, 2021

Good! Like, really good. I am doing lots of reading, helping my mom, going to the corniche, learning how to cook and doing exercises. That's great! I am kind of good and not so good at the same time. Everything is going well alhamdulilah! What about you? How are you doing?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hiyiyiyiiiii I’m bored so yuh hullo And Oop lol Aelia was my initial name in Latin class hehe, I’ve been meaning to use that, guess you beat me to it XDD BUT YEAH WOW THIS COMMENT IS STRANGE K BYE

Reply

03:30 Jul 19, 2021

Hey Aerinnn! Its been awhilee! How are you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
04:34 Jul 08, 2021

God, hi!!!

Reply

18:13 Jul 08, 2021

omggg its been so longg! Hi Sia!

Reply

Sia S
01:57 Jul 09, 2021

Gosh, heyyylollo how you been?

Reply

21:08 Jul 09, 2021

Ive been pretty chill! So i'm good. I'm just happy school is over for a bit! How about you?

Reply

Sia S
05:02 Jul 10, 2021

Yay, that's nice! I have my exams on :/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Esther :)
01:24 Jul 03, 2021

This story was really well written! Amazing Job! I loved the opposite names!

Reply

21:12 Jul 09, 2021

Thank you so much Esther! I'm glad someone noticed it!

Reply

Esther :)
22:32 Jul 09, 2021

Anytime!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charli Britton
01:10 May 23, 2021

I LOVE that you chose the sun and moon to work with for this prompt. and I LOVED your characters. The only thing was, I got a bit bored just reading the dialogue between the two characters, as awesome as it was. I would recommend putting descriptions in. Their mannerisms and where they are standing/sitting. Even if they wave their arms around or twirl their hair. something that makes them a bit more realistic. Also watch the repetitiveness of your words “WAKE UP AELIA!!” Selene yells right in my face. “Please get out of my face” I wipe t...

Reply

02:57 May 25, 2021

Thank you so much Charli! For the feedback and critiques. This is a bit of a story I wrote awhile back so I completely agree! Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
18:22 May 20, 2021

“too blind by the sun to see the beauty of the moon” I like this, it’s like a line straight out of an epic fantasy novel! “Saracastic-ness” Um do you mean “sarcasm”? 😂 How’s everything Snow? Just thought I’d drop by. I like how the argument comes full circle. And their cute yet aggressive interactions. I just wish you’d set the scene a bit more. But good stuff!!

Reply

01:57 May 23, 2021

Hey Rayhan! I see your back from your break! Lol, thank you. I don't know why I didn't just put sarcasm- maybe I probably couldn't remember the word. Things are actually going good! I am about to take my last test then after that I am done with school! So I'm feeling good and nervous- hopefully I do good! How about you, how are you these days?

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
20:29 May 25, 2021

Hope the test went well/will go well! I'm doing alright i guess, just (trying to) finishing up school! And getting a job, trying to feel like a normal human being, etc. lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
KED KED
21:11 May 17, 2021

I mean...anything that starts out with a bit of etymology...I'm already interested! This was cleverly done. I enjoyed the circular dichotomy of their argument around who they preferred...who deserved to be the most beloved lol. Really neat idea! I enjoyed this! :)

Reply

16:54 May 18, 2021

Aw thank you so much Kelly!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
17:28 May 12, 2021

Wow! I really liked this story! I couldn't help but laugh at their silly argument it was cool how you pretty much used just lone little argument for the whole story and I think you did a really good job in not making the readers feel like they were going in circles and the characters were just saying the same things over again. So yeah great story!!

Reply

23:04 May 13, 2021

Oh my thank youuu! I was starting to wonder if anyone would comment on this story so this just made my day! Thank you so much! I'm happy you liked it!

Reply

Echo Sundar
23:38 May 13, 2021

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:38 May 27, 2021

Hey Ugochi, This is an amazing story. I really loved it. I'd love some feedback on this story: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/95/submissions/68977/#comments Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:25 May 05, 2021

This was a story I wrote awhile back! I was writing it then I realized I misunderstood the prompt and totally wrote it wrong. So it never got put on here. Which really bummed me out cause I really liked it! But anyways nowww this is a prompt that relates to it! So I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.