She and E

Submitted into Contest #180 in response to: Write about someone whose luck is running out.... view prompt

73 comments

Fiction Speculative Drama

She flicked the freezing, fetid mud from her heavy-duty gloves. No luck today, but this area was mostly tapped out, and soon she'd have to make a decision as to whether to move on permanently. E shifted slightly in the makeshift carrier on her back; she removed a glove and reached back, tucking the blanket more snugly around him. He was resting still, which was good. There wasn’t much else for him to do.


Used to be, you could find valuables by the cartload, courtesy of the destruction wrought on the wealthier hillside neighborhoods where the lahars first hit. Once people had gotten over their fear of aftershocks and more mudslides, the braver among them immediately saw the value to be had and set to work. They were followed not long after by scavengers like herself, happy to let others take the initial risk as long as they could do "clean-up" and get at least a little something to trade for necessities: gnarled bits of copper pipe too small for the big haulers, the occasional piece of silver jewelry or cutlery, maybe a small, overlooked bit of gold if you were lucky... your luck would have to hold if you were to avoid getting robbed before you could get it to a trader, though.


Survival of the fittest ensured there weren't many traders left, either. Beyond the initial cataclysm and its accompanying corpses – the majority of which still polluted the mud in various stages of decay – most of the population had not survived the weeks that followed. 


Those weeks had stretched into months, she realized, and without much feeling about it one way or another. 


That pervasive numbness, and not just from the cold (which you could never seem to shake), was one of the first things that took hold. She remembered hearing that the word "decimate" originated when soldiers long ago lost more than 10% of their comrades. What was the word for it when there were only about that many remaining, she wondered, and had it gotten to that point yet?


You mostly tried to avoid people anyway, though, unless you were lucky enough to have survived with some close loved ones intact. She hadn't.


Neither had E: she had come upon him suddenly several weeks back while scavenging, both of them wide-eyed in surprise at the other’s appearance. He appeared to be non-verbal, but she couldn’t be sure if he had ever talked, or if the disaster and intervening time had left him mute. She only called him “E” due to the letter embroidered on his jacket; she had no idea of his actual name.


She also wasn’t sure how he had survived at all. He was very small, but seemed to be in good shape; she guessed he was probably around 5 years old. She had managed to coax him up from where he scrunched against a wall in the mud, huddled in the corner of what may have once been his own home. Upon consideration, she realized that must be the case: the only way she had survived, herself, was by consuming whatever packaged-but-well-preserved foods she was able to pull from the mud near homes. A child his age would know where his own kitchen had been, and where to locate the food therein. Smart.


Her ears picked up the distant sounds of squelching and of debris being rifled through, and she decided to move on for the day. She had found an intact food bar during her scavenging earlier that morning, the corner of its foil wrapper bright against the brownscape. It would have made a good trade, with food growing more scarce than metals, but carrying it on your person ensured that you would not have it long if you encountered a stronger force. Best to eat it as soon as you were able, if you wanted to eat at all.


With someone else nearby, she couldn't linger. She tucked her filthy gloves into her waistband, tore into the foil, and sniffed: stale but not spoiled. Edible. 


As she hiked parallel to the western river, she broke off a piece for E. She reached back to stroke his cheek and rouse him, but already she could tell that his head was turned the other way in refusal and was going to remain so. She had never had a child, but was it normal for them to refuse food even when it was so scarce? Maybe he was ill. If so, there wasn’t much she could do about that. She tucked half the bar away for him and vowed to try again later, then ate the remainder in a single bite.


They were heading back to her campsite, which she thought of as Christmas Paradise. The cataclysm had indeed happened at Christmastime, but that wasn’t why she called it that: it was due to the lush red-and-green ivy which covered the trees and landscape there, and because she had found the spot back when she still had the spirit to name things. 


It was only a narrow swath of land, but it bordered the river on its downward slope, and despite its verdant appeal in a world of muted grays and browns, she had never once had to contend with any unwanted visitors. 


A cache of high-quality camping supplies from the garage of an abandoned Tudor-style house helped make Christmas Paradise a home, the tent tightly nestled among and secured to several sturdy trees. The land even featured a flat, rocky outcrop upon which she could have had a fire, but she didn’t want to draw unwanted attention, and so she kept only a small, vented pit fire near her tent, as suggested by one of the camping guidebooks. It worked for some warmth but did not advertise flames for miles around.


Cooking, of course, wasn’t needed, since their fare consisted of pre-packaged goods. If bags of rice or pasta were found, she would just soak them for a day in settled water from the river until they seemed soft enough to consume. Silt would accumulate at the bottom of the pan and get mixed in with a little of the food, but that would leave more than enough to eat that was still untainted. 


She also kept a number of pilfered bags of dried beans stashed nearby, but those were for an emergency when the other, more convenient food was truly no longer available. Maybe those days weren’t far off, but they hadn't arrived yet. Beans would produce a cooking smell and took more work to prepare; she did not relish the attention that might draw.


It was only midday, but they kept to a schedule of wakefulness at night, so she settled into the plush goose down bag, grateful for the spare-no-expense lifestyle of those who had purchased it, and tucked E beside her. They rested.


***


There is little of note to tell of the intervening time: the days went on with an umber sameness, the nights, eigengrau. 


Because the river was too wide and turbulent to cross, she was eventually forced northward into new territory, unfamiliar and hostile. She never strayed far from Christmas Paradise, though sometimes they had to take the sleeping bag in case they couldn't make it back within the day. It wasn’t that they could sleep at night while away, but they could at least stay warm and huddle together until daylight found them safe again to make their way back home.


They no longer sought precious metals, only food. They avoided concentrated sources like grocery stores, where food was (or had been, at one time) plentiful, but where gangs were sure to have arrived first and might still be lurking. She stuck to remote communities: remote enough that they hadn’t yet been picked clean by a hungry and overgrown populace, but not so remote that the countrymen of the old ways were still steadfastly on guard. 


Then, time finally wound down. Survival isn’t always a grandiose triumph in one fell swoop: it is more often a tedium of days where you wake up again and again, remarkable only in that, one day, you don’t. She was fast coming to that one day.


She had gotten greedy: it was raining hard, and they’d again failed to find food while out. The deluge kept refilling her efforts to seek buried packaging, so she had finally given up and turned to go home, contemplating that it might be time to consider digging into her bean stash. 


Her mud-soaked gloves were freezing her fingers, and she had just removed them to wring them out when something metal caught her eye, sticking out near the chimney of the destroyed home she had been looting. Possibly just a fireplace tool, but she might find a use for it if she was going to need to tend a cooking fire soon. She wasn’t having to juggle both E and a sleeping bag on this particular trip, so she could certainly carry home a spoil.


She grabbed the object to pull, and immediately yelped, a crimson gash covering her palm. No! Though she couldn’t see him in his harness on her back, she knew E’s eyes would be wide and scared, and so she attempted to control her own mounting fear and panic. She pulled off the bandana that held her hair back and tied it tightly around her palm, then put the gloves back on in an attempt to help suppress the bleeding. 


Already she was feeling a bit light-headed as she trudged back home, grateful that E weighed so little, since letting him down to try to keep up on his own would slow her down entirely.


They made it back to Christmas Paradise by early evening. Among the camping supplies from the Tudor was a well-equipped first aid kit, but it had very little of what she would actually have liked to have, namely antibiotic pills, prescription painkillers, and suture. Still, it would have to do. She wiped the wound with antiseptic pads and wrapped it with antibiotic gel and gauze. E continued to stare, wide-eyed and open-mouthed with what she presumed was some level of shock, as she completed the bandaging and washed down some aspirin. Despite her pain, she chatted softly and nonchalantly at him as she worked, hoping to exude an aura of calm. 


She felt nauseous, and so she took what she could find in the kit for that, as well. They were both worn out; she laid down and snuggled him a while, intending only to nap briefly before keeping watch that night, but the dawn was breaking and her hand was badly throbbing when she finally awoke. She examined the limb with trepidation and found it inflamed even beyond the well-bandaged area. Not good.


Her time was growing short, she knew, but with what resources she could stockpile for him in this last big push, E might be okay long enough without her until someone else might come along… hopefully someone kind who could and would look after him.


She spent the next several days showing him the steps in cooking, and only those, repeatedly: gathering the deadwood, building the fire and keeping it going, maintaining a freshwater supply, the soaking, draining, and long process involved in getting edibles out of the packaged beans. He watched intently, never taking his eyes off of what she was doing. 


At last she could tell the delirium was taking over, and that the infection had won. Even as her fever grew, she hoped against hope that there was a future for E, somehow: a legacy of hers. She laid down one last time, and cuddled him closely to her chest, stroking his hair as she fell asleep.


***


Epilogue:

A bright spot of red among the ivy caught the little girl’s eye; she tugged on her father’s sleeve and pointed excitedly to it in the distance. Raising his binoculars, the girl’s father could clearly see a woman’s body lying prone, her hand bandaged and blood-soaked, a sallowness to her complexion. She looked dead, and after a couple of hailing shouts across the verge, the family traveled on: poison ivy was the last complication they needed, and they could not check on the woman without crossing it to get to her. 


As for the red plush doll that the woman was tightly clutching to her chest which had first caught the girl’s eye, well – her father made a mental note to keep an eye out in the hopes of finding his daughter an Elmo doll of her own, very soon.


January 06, 2023 18:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

73 comments

Lily Finch
20:47 Jan 08, 2023

Post-apocalyptic story. Nicely done! LF6

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:00 Jan 08, 2023

Thanks, Lily!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eunice Amero
20:37 Jan 07, 2023

Very good story but sad. Going through hard times can be devastating especially when you aren't sure if you will find food enough to keep alive. Nature itself can cause so many problems. You keep up the good work.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
20:38 Jan 07, 2023

Thank you so much, Eunice, for reading and for the kind comments! I appreciate you. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
14:25 Jan 07, 2023

Hmmm....solid.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
16:12 Jan 07, 2023

Thanks :).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
BRUCE MARTIN
03:58 Jan 07, 2023

Very interesting and complex story. Great imagination.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
03:58 Jan 07, 2023

Thanks very much, Bruce! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
18:03 Jan 06, 2023

First published at https://www.postapocalypticmedia.com/announcing-the-post-apocalyptic-short-story-writing-contest-winners-for-2022/#thirdplace.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
21:59 Jan 10, 2023

That was a fun bleak read :) I love me a good post-apocalypse. It's a great way at poking at our current lives. All the trash we accumulate, which might one day be a life-saving treasure for someone - or still just be trash. But what do we lose with the accumulation? Skills seems the big one. The protagonist quickly develops as a scavenger, but she'd be in trouble once the food other people prepared ran out. Many others didn't even survive long enough to become scavengers. Seems like we trade knowledge for convenience. Anyway. We take a ...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
22:09 Jan 10, 2023

(Or, since it's daytime, he could just be napping in the tent like they always did. :) At this point, you know... I'm not sure I know if he's real or not. Your initial surmise was totally correct as I wrote it, but sometimes the story just takes its own path, and so who knows! The one drawback if it is a real kid in there, is the daytime sleep. :( If it's true he's there, then there was always someone close to Christmas Paradise (she heard them, that first day), so he'll certainly be rescued soon! :) LOVE this review, Michał, and thank you...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chad Eastwood
20:51 Jan 10, 2023

100% didn't see that coming. Also, this is a great example of show, don't tell. Nicely done!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:43 Jan 10, 2023

Thank you so much for reading and commenting - I am really flattered!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
15:04 Jan 10, 2023

Great world building (is post-Apocalyptic actually world un-building?), full of gritty detail and the grim tedium that it should have. I love this struggle to survive and to help another human being, that valiant effort in the face of overwhelming odds, which makes your conclusion all the more deeply impactful. The plush red doll and then the Elmo comment.... Gut punch.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:14 Jan 10, 2023

Thank you so much, Laurel! I feel like our humanity wouldn't go completely away, but it could certainly be warped by a tragedy of that magnitude, to where caretaking a doll might seem totally normal and urgent in the face of such loss. Really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
15:39 Jan 10, 2023

Well I feel like a first-class idiot. All the clues are there, so me seeing it as an actual child is me seeing what I wanted to see in a story. Or I guess completely being in the unreliable narrative pov, which is a real hats off to you that you pulled me into it so well. It is the same impulse of human decency but a different gut punch and I feel deeply apologetic for reading beyond the story. This takes such a unique and refreshing approach to the genre.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
16:43 Jan 10, 2023

Oh gosh no, Laurel! I was tricky with it, no idiocy at all. :) Actually there could be a child still: he'd be asleep in the tent during the day when the family happened by, and the narrative could have just left out the part about him carrying around doll. I did leave it a purposefully vague. :) Thank you so much for the kind compliments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
18:18 Jan 09, 2023

That is the tragic gut-punch to end tragic gut-punches. What a great and devastatingly poignant way to inject the palpable present into this hopeless future. And nicely foreshadowed without risking giving it away (“Used to be, you could find valuables by the cartload, courtesy of the destruction wrought on the wealthier hillside neighborhoods where the lahars first hit.”) It also puts a perspective on what we value until it all falls to dust, while at the same time evoking a symbol of comfort, joy, and innocence. There’s a whisp of horrific ...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:26 Jan 09, 2023

Gosh, Martin, this is so delightful and flattering! I am extremely tickled that you picked up on the sleight of hand that I went to great lengths in order to make it work for this story. It was a lot of go back and revise until yes, a boy that age could have found things in the kitchen. I did not say it was a boy that age. :-) It was honestly a lot of fun doing that, and hopefully nobody is reading these comments before they read the story lol. Thank you again, truly, for the kind review, and the time you took to read and comment! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
23:27 Jan 08, 2023

It was an Elmo? She’d been alone for too long I guess. A bit like Five from Umbrella Academy. Or Wilson from Castaway. WILSON! This felt like The Road or the Book of Eli but more peaceful than those. Also reminded me of the later parts of Into the Wild, same end as Christopher McCandless/Alexander Supertramp.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:34 Jan 09, 2023

Thank you! I enjoy all three of those books you mentioned, so it is possible they slipped in... :) You know, I'm not sure if it was Elmo or not. At first, the twist I meant was what you interpreted, and for the same reasons you intuit. But then later as I was thinking about it: what if the kid was always just carrying that Elmo doll, and she simply never mentioned it? He'd be asleep during the day in the tent, like they always did, so the fact he could have left his doll with her and went to sleep in the tent is a reasonable scenario which...

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:53 Jan 09, 2023

Being less cultured I was referring to the films and tv series of all of these. I read a lot but if there’s a cheat like an audiobook then I take the easy way. The real twist could be that she was the mother and that’s why they’re both immune to poison ivy?

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:56 Jan 09, 2023

TV and movies work for me - having a day job prevents one from keeping it real, as it were. :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:10 Jan 09, 2023

What could be more real than Tom Hanks screaming with passionate grief at a football (soccer ball) as it floats out to sea?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
02:57 Jan 09, 2023

Interesting idea for the twist!!

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:09 Jan 09, 2023

Logical solution to the immunity problem right? And grief and world ending survival are bound to screw with your perception of reality, from what I’ve seen in Mad Max, The Rain, Umbrella Academy…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Freedom Leigh
17:04 Jan 27, 2023

Wow! How sad! I take it the red plush doll the father saw was E? Your vocabulary is amazing! It's interesting how a lot of writers don't necessarily have a broad vocabulary, but you do. Also, I never heard about these things happening after mudslides before. How did you learn about it? I immensely enjoyed the details and reality! Now I'm going to look up what the words eigengrau and trepidation mean.:)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:07 Jan 27, 2023

Thank you so much for the glowing review, Freedom! You are correct, that was E... an Elmo doll that the woman had "adopted" in her PTSD state. I have always been fascinated by man vs. nature conflicts in stories; most of my reading involves true accounts of natural disasters, though I like fictionalized ones sometimes, as well. I suppose some of that brain clutter must have come out and helped inspire the initial cataclysm in all of this, and its subsequent fall-out. :)

Reply

Freedom Leigh
19:20 Jan 28, 2023

I really enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Douglas W. Carr
17:39 Jan 26, 2023

There isn't much to add that hasn't already been mentioned. Although, I had to read the end several times. Nice work.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:41 Jan 26, 2023

Thank you so much, Douglas!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Reece York
23:29 Jan 21, 2023

Lovely story! I liked a lot of the things you did here. The etymology take on the word 'decimate' was a great line. Really set the tone as to how messed up the world had gotten. The section describing survival as the day in day out drudgery was nice; so often that seems lost to me in post-apocalyptic stories. Describing the fact that the new norm is routine for daily survival gives weight to the fact that things are forever changed. I also enjoy the emphasis on how dangerous wounds can be! I feel like the realism towards how disastrous ...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:31 Jan 21, 2023

Well thank you so much, Reece! I am positively beaming at your lovely review - thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this - I am so appreciative! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah K
18:04 Jan 20, 2023

I wanted to commend you again on how great this story is. To be honest, I missed the plot twist about E being Elmo the first time around, and only realized it because of the comments. I was just confused, honestly, lol, trying to figure out why you brought up Elmo so suddenly at the end. It seemed to kind of come out of nowhere - but that was only because I didn't read it closely enough the first time. Upon second reading, I see the clues, with the doll/child being unresponsive, not eating, having "E" on its shirt. This is haunting! That pl...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:05 Jan 20, 2023

Thank you so much, Hannah! Your praise really made my day! :) I also appreciate the tips on how to make it better, as we are all just learning, here, and I will take all the input I can get! :)

Reply

Hannah K
19:20 Jan 20, 2023

So true. I also always appreciate input. Sometimes outside readers see things that we, the writers, are blind to.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
17:00 Jan 19, 2023

OMG, this was killer, Wendy! Down to the very last word, you had me and then - sucker punch! In a word: Brilliant. (I'd see about your own copyright, if I were you)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:12 Jan 19, 2023

Thank you so much, sis! I really appreciate you. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marilyn Filewood
21:01 Jan 18, 2023

Survival stories are so gripping, yet so hard to do. I loved the reference to "decimate" ( I never knew, but the comparison with war was great) and the "tedium of days", and lots more.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:01 Jan 18, 2023

Thanks so much, Marilyn! I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mandy Waters
18:52 Jan 18, 2023

Incredibly creative, Wendy. Your detailed imagination speaks wonders. I loved the finale. There is something to be said about unexpected endings, even if they are a bit painful. Happy writing!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:53 Jan 18, 2023

Thanks so much, Mandy! I really appreciate your encouragement! :) Happy writing to you, as well. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
22:25 Jan 16, 2023

Yeah, I can see how this was already published successfully. Really, really good storytelling on this one, Wendy. Makes me wish Reedsy had its own Post-Apocalyptic genre tag, but I guess Speculative is all-encompassing, so there's that. That plot twist is one of the wildest I've ever seen. Didn't see it coming at all. But the foreshadowing was all there, cleverly hidden, and it makes perfect sense, and the E on his shirt. This is so good. I gotta know how you came up with this one. Super creative. Thanks for sharing this one. I really enjoye...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
22:33 Jan 16, 2023

Zack, thank you so much! I am beaming! :) I think I may have made a drunken deal with de'wevil or something, on this one: it was my first-ever story, actually, and I only just now rolled it out here because that other contest is over (didn't want to double-publish). So I wish I *could* tell you how, because then I'd know, too! Hoping I did some sort of 3-wish kinda thing at the time. We'll see...! :) Thank you so very much for reading and commenting. You really made my day. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:32 Jan 16, 2023

Excellent, Wendy!! I was drawn in right away. I love how it's so 'real' and that she was so kind to take the child - I think it would make a great novel - where the boy survives to save others in a big way - but I'd like it to be a 'girl' - ha. I used to read a lot of this kind of story - then I read "The Road" and put me off that subject for a long time - so grim and scary. I've always been a sort of treasure fan - sea shells, thrifting, etc. which made it even more interesting for me. I also had to look up "eigengrau" - so have a new...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:48 Jan 16, 2023

Thank you, Patricia! Your praise made me smile, and I really appreciate you giving the story a shot! :) That is a cool hobby that you have; do you metal detect?

Reply

17:27 Jan 16, 2023

I have a metal detector, but haven't used it a lot lately. When the grands were young I let them play with it and they nearly dug up the water line (copper) at a local park - ha! We used to go to FL every winter and I LOVED beach combing, and now it's mostly thrifting. I like your story because when men write them it's all about fighting and weapons and not much about 'searching' for things they can use to survive. Have you watched "Alone"? I watched 2 seasons, but they put them there with so little food sources and such cold - it's l...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:36 Jan 16, 2023

omg that sounds right up my alley, thanks for the recommend! I will definitely check that out!! I also want to one day go to Diamond State Park (before I get too old to spend all day digging in the mud, haha). And thank you for the nice compliment! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chad Eastwood
09:23 Jan 16, 2023

I'd say this will win, Wendy. Good luck!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:38 Jan 16, 2023

Chad, thanks so much, very kind! There are a lotta great contenders out there, so it's anyone's game, but I really appreciate your nice comment - you made my day. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.