81 comments

Fiction Drama Fantasy

This story contains sensitive content

TW: Shades of abuse and control issues, swearing


Author's note: Written after an eczema flare-up. Hahaha !


**

Tonight, my baby Allison had me blocked again. It has been exactly the ninth time in her thirty-four years of existence she has jumped in that beat-up cobalt blue Honda Accord (safety alert!) in the middle of the night (safety alert!) and drove almost at the speed limit (GAAAAH !) to the harshly-lit emergency room of her nearest hospital.


Believe you me; I tried to stop her, to protest another instance of my girl distancing herself from the shield of my protection. I bellowed to the tiny veins and capillaries around her face, commanding them to swell even more. I saw her delicate, undulating throat and gripped on it tighter, shutting off more of her respiratory tract. However, as if she were hooked on some intravenous line to a bag of determination, she marched into the bright fluorescent lights, to those ridiculous minions in scrubs coloured a disgusting mucus green, to a syringe filled with epinephrine formulated to wrestle an invisible straitjacket on me, to tranquilise me until I’m powerless.


I don’t get it. I, Allison’s immune system, am just trying to look out for her, just want to ensure her safety. Apparently, though, if you were to ask her and those stupid doctors, --- those twats who cannot heal her as much as I can -- I should have never attacked those greasy peanuts on her dessert brownie. According to them, I’m overreacting by forcing her tissues to go on red alert against “food”, am the cause of disease as much as the one tasked to prevent it (Can you believe the audacity to say that?!). No, they don’t understand that like anyone giving life to a child, I take my job of protecting her as a matter of life and death, and that, well, Mother knows best.


They don’t understand that the day Allison’s chromosomes coded me to existence inside a uterus; I was given marching orders to defend the chubby cheeked, blue-eyed life I was encased in. The day I was formed inside my baby, I took up arms, vowing to shoot any microbe, any germ that threatened to invade her organs. The day she came out onto the world, I watched her like a sniper through the viewfinder on the top half of her head and couldn’t help smiling. She looked so peaceful, so docile, and so dependent on me. It was the most perfect time knowing this pink-skinned, gurgling organism wanted me to be its bodyguard, to take care of her like the woman who gave birth to her, and well, Mother knows best.


They don’t understand the sadness I felt the day of my little girl’s third birthday. As she broke into a smile when she blew those purple candles on her chocolate birthday cake, -– her choice (Ugh! I’d have preferred vanilla.)--- I throbbed as if some inexperienced surgical intern were performing a coronary bypass on me without anaesthesia. As she ran across the playground with all the power in her toddler hamstrings to the large sandbox (Eww! Germs!), I wanted to yell at Allison for choosing the risk of getting ill, for not choosing me. I couldn’t help pushing her skin to break out in scarlet bumps, to try with everything I am to get her to notice me.


To my surprise, once my baby girl’s birth giver saw the hives, she tsk-ed and blamed me, ME! Hey, Mama Immune System is just trying to do her job, and well, Mother knows best.


They don’t understand the needle-like sting of my Allison’s betrayal two months after she turned 11. Her birth giver (I know. How could she instigate this?) had asked my baby if she wanted to see some Dr. Pell. As my baby and the woman she called “Mum” got into their car, I had high hopes, to be honest. I thought that, obviously, someone who spent more than a decade learning about the human body would firmly explain to the pair that they need to let me be, to do my job of protecting my Allison. Oh no, instead, that quack demonised me and told my baby she will try to get me under control.


Immunotherapy! That twat in the white coat suggested therapy! Before I could even protest, Dr. Pell asked my Allison to stretch her arm out and scratched my baby with a tiny lancet to see how I attack, and then, scheduled the first session of what they called “desensitisation”. They wanted to weaken me, stop me from fully protecting that child I vowed to defend from the world; that doctor wanted my girl to forget that Mother knows best.


They don’t understand the desperation pumping in me whenever I’m supressed. The round of shots that quack injected into my Allison had stripped me of my ability to pounce on pollen and dust (NO!). Her puberty hormones had further rendered my efforts futile by nullifying my attacks on eggs (NO!). Through the viewfinder on her head, I saw her paint her lips a tacky crimson, ingest those barbecued prawns that disgusted me – observed her drift further and further away from what I wanted for my baby. Any tingle on her lips, any bump on her skin I pushed into her bloodstream, she combatted with bitter pills called antihistamines and a shrug of her delicate shoulders.


I had no choice but to become stricter, more ferocious. I wasn’t content anymore with commanding the production of red rashes; oh no, I started to grip her airway shut with all my might so that in her breathlessness, she’d come home to Mama. I spun furious circles around her to raise her blood pressure, to make her remember her heart is mine. Unfortunately, all it got me was staring at her through her head viewfinder as she employed more doctors to come between us, as she took stronger drugs, as she spat at me whenever I tried to convince her that Mother knows best.


Most of all, they don’t understand how much I love my Allison, that I want to protect my baby girl more than anything, that I desperately want her to comprehend that she’s mine…even if I have to resort to drastic measures, to "Anaphylaxis" (What a terrible name. Why does it sounds so...disease like?). It will always go over those quacks' heads that when I pull her throat shut, it’s me pulling on her heartstrings; that when I quicken her pulse, it’s me attempting to unite our heartbeats.


Then again, Allison doesn’t need to understand, does she? After all, I’m in her, she never escape me. She can block me all she wants and get as many doctors involved. She can put me in a corticortsoid straitjacket for all I care. I will always know best.

March 26, 2024 13:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

81 comments

Corbin Russell
00:25 Mar 31, 2024

Nice one! Thanks for the read :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:41 Mar 31, 2024

Thank you, Corbin !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scott Taylor
10:52 May 07, 2024

I direct a writer's group. I had them write short stories from the POV of birds, other animals, and so on. Never in my dreams did I think about it from the POV of the immune system? LOL Great reading fun!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:05 May 07, 2024

I suppose the things people with severe, anaphylactic-level food allergies come up with. Hahahaha ! Seriously, though, I'm happy you liked this unique POV. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
16:51 May 02, 2024

Hi Alexis! This story blew me away! The title "Mother Knows Best" drew me in because, indeed, mother's know best...lol. My favorite line here is: "I want to protect my baby girl more than anything" - As a father of a beautiful little girl I definitely can relate. Great job as always! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:23 May 02, 2024

Oh wow ! Thank you so much, Daniel. I think I mentioned in the comments that I wrote this after a particularly terrible eczema and allergy attack. I just went back to all those times I ended up in A&E because my immune system went "controlling, abusive mum" and kept me from breathing. Hahahaha ! There's protection, and then, there's control. That goes for parents, partners, and immune systems. Hahaha ! As usual, huge thank you for reading !

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
17:19 May 03, 2024

I loved how you took your personal experiences and used them for this story. My daughter has bad allergies and psoriasis, so I know it's not easy to deal with sometimes :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
04:04 Apr 09, 2024

Hi Stella. Found out the significance of the eczema flare up! Well done, in this tale. Ingenious. This prompt didn't appeal to me as it reminded me of, as you said, a talking coffee pot, or whatever. Some of the other stories chose ridiculous items to breathe life into. Actually, the stories were great. Your one reminded me of the essay our class had to write for a Biology lesson many years ago. About the digestive cycle (from mouth to the other end.) Every part of the anatomy had its say. Identifying the 'immune system' in paragraph 3 w...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:02 Apr 11, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been quite busy this week (Hopefully, I get to submit this week. *gulp*). Thank you so much for reading this story. Like I said, I was totally out in the middle of the Pacific (literally. HAHAHAHA) for the sci-fi/speculative theme, but I was just glad I was able to submit. Like you said, every immune system is different. Personally, I find the fact that I've rarely taken a sickie a benefit to my immune system. Then, there's the allergies, the down side. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Isabel Jewell
00:02 Apr 08, 2024

I really enjoyed the story, Stella! Super creative and invokes a variety of emotions throughout! Thought-provoking.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:03 Apr 08, 2024

Thank you, Isabel ! I'm glad you liked this slapped together tale.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bianca Belgravia
13:57 Apr 04, 2024

Genius premise, very cleverly written. Love the contradiction between the immune system helping and hurting. It is rather funny. Great read :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:32 Apr 04, 2024

Thank you so much, Bianca ! Yes, that's pretty much what allergies and other autoimmune conditions are: Your immune system trying to protect you so much, it harms you. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristina Lushey
13:20 Apr 04, 2024

Wow great work Stella, loved this. Interesting perspective. You are also very expressive. Thank you :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:46 Apr 04, 2024

Thank you so much, Kristina ! I'm glad you liked it, as well as the style.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
06:39 Apr 04, 2024

Twisted, Stella. I like it. Your unique style shines through, the command of the language - brilliant. When I say twisted, a refreshing viewpoint from the disease itself, that's imaginative.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:46 Apr 04, 2024

Thank you so much, John ! I tried. I was out of my element in making this, to be honest. But I just tried to imagine what my own immune system would have been like when I ended up in A&E because of an anaphylactic allergic reaction. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
05:42 Apr 01, 2024

Learning piece. I have to start learning about some words here. Nice piece.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
07:14 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you, Philip. I suppose my actually having been to A&E because of anaphylactic allergic reactions came through. Hahahaha !

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
04:20 Apr 03, 2024

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Peyton Fleek
03:19 Apr 01, 2024

So clever!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:18 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you so much, Peyton !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
02:06 Apr 01, 2024

This is a really interesting take on this prompt— definitely not a view I considered. Also, the writing style? BEAUTIFUL! Fantastic work! I love this!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:38 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you so much, Fern ! Like I mentioned in previous comments, I was struggling on what to write. I'm just happy it worked and you like it !

Reply

Fern Everton
14:33 Apr 01, 2024

Oh god, I’ve been there! I’m glad you were able to find something and create a fantastic story out of it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
00:34 Apr 01, 2024

What a wonderful exercise in point of view! I never thought about this -- or anything -- from the point of the immune system. Brilliant. When I saw the prompt, I was thinking about it in a much more plebeian way, you know, like a coffee pot or an animal. Your idea is very original and very well done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:49 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you so much, Kathryn. To be honest, I couldn't even think of the coffee pot with sci-fi/dystopia (which I do not like at all) elements. Then, I had an eczema flare up. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Diana Jo Filip
15:49 Mar 31, 2024

Indeed, she knows. Mothers fight genetics like dragons! Nicely done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:09 Mar 31, 2024

Some mothers, though, go overboard on protecting and become abusive, like the immune system of someone with autoimmune conditions. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
11:39 Mar 31, 2024

Excellent work, as always!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:54 Mar 31, 2024

Thank you so much, Jim ! I'm happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
07:55 Mar 31, 2024

Look at you go! I really was praying that this won. Makes me sad because there was so much here, and the idea itself was unique in a way that, in my humble opinion, deserved more than likes. Nevertheless, I am so grateful and humbled by your continual growth and God-given talent. I'm excited to see what comes next! Such lovely work.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:53 Mar 31, 2024

Dustin, that means so much coming from such a talented writer like you. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this. I must admit that I was totally stumped for ideas until this came. I'm just happy I was able to produce something this week. Hahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shawna Burge
18:52 Mar 30, 2024

Nice job with an immune system. Clever very clever

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:14 Mar 30, 2024

Thank you so much, Shawna ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremy Burgess
06:21 Mar 30, 2024

I love the indignation! A great take on the prompt, nice to see how the immune system feels for once!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
07:26 Mar 30, 2024

Hahaha ! Like I said in other comments, I was so out of my depth this week, and then decided, ah whatever, I'll write about allergies. Hahaha ! Glad you liked it, Jeremy !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
21:52 Mar 29, 2024

Very engaging and compelling, as always. I felt I was there too. This drew me right in and when the immune system character was revealed the surprise twist of this and the way it fit was great.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:36 Mar 29, 2024

Thank you so much, Kristi ! Glad I was able to draw you in !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:38 Mar 29, 2024

Loved your approach here - very effective!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:39 Mar 29, 2024

Thank you so much, Melissa ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:40 Mar 29, 2024

Really cool, I really liked it 😊

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:38 Mar 29, 2024

Thank you so much, Laura !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.