81 comments

Fiction Drama Fantasy

This story contains sensitive content

TW: Shades of abuse and control issues, swearing


Author's note: Written after an eczema flare-up. Hahaha !


**

Tonight, my baby Allison had me blocked again. It has been exactly the ninth time in her thirty-four years of existence she has jumped in that beat-up cobalt blue Honda Accord (safety alert!) in the middle of the night (safety alert!) and drove almost at the speed limit (GAAAAH !) to the harshly-lit emergency room of her nearest hospital.


Believe you me; I tried to stop her, to protest another instance of my girl distancing herself from the shield of my protection. I bellowed to the tiny veins and capillaries around her face, commanding them to swell even more. I saw her delicate, undulating throat and gripped on it tighter, shutting off more of her respiratory tract. However, as if she were hooked on some intravenous line to a bag of determination, she marched into the bright fluorescent lights, to those ridiculous minions in scrubs coloured a disgusting mucus green, to a syringe filled with epinephrine formulated to wrestle an invisible straitjacket on me, to tranquilise me until I’m powerless.


I don’t get it. I, Allison’s immune system, am just trying to look out for her, just want to ensure her safety. Apparently, though, if you were to ask her and those stupid doctors, --- those twats who cannot heal her as much as I can -- I should have never attacked those greasy peanuts on her dessert brownie. According to them, I’m overreacting by forcing her tissues to go on red alert against “food”, am the cause of disease as much as the one tasked to prevent it (Can you believe the audacity to say that?!). No, they don’t understand that like anyone giving life to a child, I take my job of protecting her as a matter of life and death, and that, well, Mother knows best.


They don’t understand that the day Allison’s chromosomes coded me to existence inside a uterus; I was given marching orders to defend the chubby cheeked, blue-eyed life I was encased in. The day I was formed inside my baby, I took up arms, vowing to shoot any microbe, any germ that threatened to invade her organs. The day she came out onto the world, I watched her like a sniper through the viewfinder on the top half of her head and couldn’t help smiling. She looked so peaceful, so docile, and so dependent on me. It was the most perfect time knowing this pink-skinned, gurgling organism wanted me to be its bodyguard, to take care of her like the woman who gave birth to her, and well, Mother knows best.


They don’t understand the sadness I felt the day of my little girl’s third birthday. As she broke into a smile when she blew those purple candles on her chocolate birthday cake, -– her choice (Ugh! I’d have preferred vanilla.)--- I throbbed as if some inexperienced surgical intern were performing a coronary bypass on me without anaesthesia. As she ran across the playground with all the power in her toddler hamstrings to the large sandbox (Eww! Germs!), I wanted to yell at Allison for choosing the risk of getting ill, for not choosing me. I couldn’t help pushing her skin to break out in scarlet bumps, to try with everything I am to get her to notice me.


To my surprise, once my baby girl’s birth giver saw the hives, she tsk-ed and blamed me, ME! Hey, Mama Immune System is just trying to do her job, and well, Mother knows best.


They don’t understand the needle-like sting of my Allison’s betrayal two months after she turned 11. Her birth giver (I know. How could she instigate this?) had asked my baby if she wanted to see some Dr. Pell. As my baby and the woman she called “Mum” got into their car, I had high hopes, to be honest. I thought that, obviously, someone who spent more than a decade learning about the human body would firmly explain to the pair that they need to let me be, to do my job of protecting my Allison. Oh no, instead, that quack demonised me and told my baby she will try to get me under control.


Immunotherapy! That twat in the white coat suggested therapy! Before I could even protest, Dr. Pell asked my Allison to stretch her arm out and scratched my baby with a tiny lancet to see how I attack, and then, scheduled the first session of what they called “desensitisation”. They wanted to weaken me, stop me from fully protecting that child I vowed to defend from the world; that doctor wanted my girl to forget that Mother knows best.


They don’t understand the desperation pumping in me whenever I’m supressed. The round of shots that quack injected into my Allison had stripped me of my ability to pounce on pollen and dust (NO!). Her puberty hormones had further rendered my efforts futile by nullifying my attacks on eggs (NO!). Through the viewfinder on her head, I saw her paint her lips a tacky crimson, ingest those barbecued prawns that disgusted me – observed her drift further and further away from what I wanted for my baby. Any tingle on her lips, any bump on her skin I pushed into her bloodstream, she combatted with bitter pills called antihistamines and a shrug of her delicate shoulders.


I had no choice but to become stricter, more ferocious. I wasn’t content anymore with commanding the production of red rashes; oh no, I started to grip her airway shut with all my might so that in her breathlessness, she’d come home to Mama. I spun furious circles around her to raise her blood pressure, to make her remember her heart is mine. Unfortunately, all it got me was staring at her through her head viewfinder as she employed more doctors to come between us, as she took stronger drugs, as she spat at me whenever I tried to convince her that Mother knows best.


Most of all, they don’t understand how much I love my Allison, that I want to protect my baby girl more than anything, that I desperately want her to comprehend that she’s mine…even if I have to resort to drastic measures, to "Anaphylaxis" (What a terrible name. Why does it sounds so...disease like?). It will always go over those quacks' heads that when I pull her throat shut, it’s me pulling on her heartstrings; that when I quicken her pulse, it’s me attempting to unite our heartbeats.


Then again, Allison doesn’t need to understand, does she? After all, I’m in her, she never escape me. She can block me all she wants and get as many doctors involved. She can put me in a corticortsoid straitjacket for all I care. I will always know best.

March 26, 2024 13:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

81 comments

Laurie Spellman
11:26 Mar 29, 2024

What a great POV character! You brought it to life….. excellent work.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:35 Mar 29, 2024

Thank you so much, Laurie !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shobana Gomes
07:53 Mar 29, 2024

Hi Stella, gosh I can feel your frustrations here, especially with the doctors. And, you did a great job by adding a light hearted touch to the story. Well done. Mothers do know best:)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:32 Mar 29, 2024

Actually, I meant to portray the immune system of a person with allergies/an auto-immune condition as an abusive parent. Hahahaha ! I adore doctors; they've saved my life countless of times, including preventing an anaphylactic allergic reaction from further escalating. Some mothers know best. Some are best kept away. Anyway, thanks for reading this.

Reply

Shobana Gomes
09:59 Mar 29, 2024

Okay, Stella. Thank you for explaining. Your humor is infectious. Left.me smiling.:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J. I. MumfoRD
14:18 Mar 28, 2024

Dang. Well researched, and a great take on the prompt. Great idea, brilliant writing, thoughtful—you are hitting all the marks. Love stories can be dangerous.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:33 Mar 28, 2024

I wish it were research and not actually ending up in A&E a couple of times because of an anaphylactic allergic reaction. Hahahaha ! But like I said, I was blanking on what to write until an eczema flare-up inspired me to write this. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:28 Mar 28, 2024

I really enjoyed how you've personified the immune system in such a unique way that it reads like a protective, albeit overly zealous, parent. 🧡

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:14 Mar 28, 2024

Thank you so much, Angela ! Like I mentioned in other comments, I just slapped it together after an allergic reaction. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it. It was a challenge writing this (not my genre), I must admit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S. E. Foley
01:26 Mar 28, 2024

Brilliant approach to this. A militant, abusively maternal immune system speaks out. I feel the eczema, for real. I have it, too. Mother does not know best, grr. It was a fun read. As an aside that is hopefully not weird, the name Aurelius is a favorite of mine. I've got a character in development with that name.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:16 Mar 28, 2024

Ooof, yes, it is absolutely annoying having a flare up. I'm happy you liked it. Oh, and Stella Aurelius is a pseudonym. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim Gray
19:12 Mar 27, 2024

A clever take on this prompt. I like it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:03 Mar 27, 2024

Thank you so much ! Not bad for something I slapped together just to write something, I suppose. Hahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
12:09 Mar 27, 2024

Once again, you prove why you're always on top. This is such an imaginative story. To be in your mind for a day would be a vacation worth taking.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:07 Mar 27, 2024

Oh my ! Thank you so much, Ty ! Like I said, given the genre theme for the week isn't in my wheelhouse, my goal was simply writing something. As for taking a vacation in my mind, well, I don't think having random 70s song lyrics and terrible attempts at eyeshadow stuck in your head would be lovely. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:16 Mar 27, 2024

Brilliant. So original. It didn't cross my mind to write a story from side of immune system. That's so cool. But than again, Stella does the best!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:28 Mar 27, 2024

Thank you so much, Darvico. It's just the result of the stifling summer heat exacerbating my eczema. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
23:09 Mar 26, 2024

Another of Stella's creative, imaginative, talented, sparkling, winning, unbelievable stories. Immune System = blessing and a curse. I guess you gotta have it, but it changes with the wind. Favorite line: 'They don’t understand the desperation pumping in me whenever I’m supressed.'

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:28 Mar 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Jack ! This week's set of prompts threw me for a loop, so I'm glad to be able to submit. Hahahaha ! Yep, this is what I sometimes imagine my immune system is saying when I have an allergic réaction. Hahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LeeAnn Hively
19:00 Mar 26, 2024

I have an autoimmune disease called dermatographia where my body spent so long being flooded with adrenaline that now by body, in times of stress, will try to counteract the adrenaline and causes an allergic reaction when my skin is touched. This leads to welts all over my body, and my skin becomes very hot to the touch. It isn't dangerous, they say, but imagine always itching and having skin so sensitive that you develop welts from being touched. It is my body being allergic to...my own body. And it developed from my body trying to protect ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:14 Mar 26, 2024

Oh wow ! I know very well the "It's not dangerous, but it sure is irritating". Like I said in another comment, I know that our immune systems are trying to do it's job. It's just sometimes, it does it too well. Hahaha ! Sometimes, the human body is just like that. I'm so happy you liked this story and that I was able to capture that paradox of auto-immune disease and allergies. Thank you so much for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
17:29 Mar 26, 2024

This prompt has thrown up some amazing ideas, this is a highlight Stella! The tone is spot on, so twisted, I like this dark side! Fav line ‘make her remember her heart is mine’ - very brothers Grimm!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:53 Mar 26, 2024

Oh wow ! This means so much, Claire (especially considering I just slapped it together after an eczema flare up and thought of the idea of making the immune system of someone with allergies/an auto-immune condition a villain. Hahahaha !). Thank you so much ! Admittedly, the prompts were a challenge for me given this isn't really my cup of tea, but I'm glad I was able to pull off twisted character. Hahaha ! Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
17:13 Mar 26, 2024

I never doubted that you'd come up with another masterpiece. Sorry to hear about your food allergies. The day I met my (now ex) husband he developed a shellfish allergy. (I think he always connected the two). I managed to not quite kill him several times before we connected the dots.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:03 Mar 26, 2024

Oh my ! I'm glad you liked this story. It was a challenge responding to this week's prompts, so I'm glad to even be able to submit, let alone have someone whose writing I admire appreciate it. Thank you so much. Ooof, my anaphylaxis-inducing allergies happen to be my shellfish ones. It's tough, especially in an archipelago country. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:11 Mar 26, 2024

Yes, I can imagine. By the way. I see you use the term "word building" a lot. Can you explain to me what you mean with it? I'm not sure I understand the term.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:25 Mar 26, 2024

It's basically the way an author describes the fictional world in a fantasy or sci-fi work. What are the sensory details in this world? Any prominent features of the world (Landmarks ? Is everything metallic? )? What is the culture like ? How would you describe the inhabitants ?

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:47 Mar 26, 2024

I see, I think. Using our vocabulary to paint an alien world, or a specific world. So, the term might also be "world building"? Not having studied (creative) writing, and like so many of us, having another 1st language, I'm still learning and enjoy picking brains.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:43 Mar 27, 2024

Actually, it is world building. That's what I usually comment. I must have just miswritten it one time. Hahaha !

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:12 Mar 26, 2024

You did an amazing job of capturing the protective immune system that modern science sometimes has a problem understanding. Right on prompt even if struggling with it as I am.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:09 Mar 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Mary ! To be honest, I was struggling too. Sci-fi, dystopia, and speculative fiction aren't in my wheelhouse. My goal was just to write... something. Hahahaha ! True, the human body is fascinating. Like I said in another comment, as a person with food allergies, I sometimes wish my immune system would cool down on attacking harmless things sometimes. Hahaha ! Glad you liked it. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ev Datsyk
15:52 Mar 26, 2024

OOf, unsettling (GAAH!). The personality of the MC (NO!) comes through a lot in this piece, even if there are times we wish Mother would just know a little less!! Munchausen syndrome by proxy coded caregiver is spooky, but I think you've captured the essence of "but it's out of love" really well.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:58 Mar 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Ev ! As a person with food allergies, some of them potentially fatal, I sometimes wish my immune system would stop spiraling out of control. Hahahaha ! That's the idea I used here. Yes, the immune system is there to protect, but sometimes, it overprotects. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harry Stuart
15:34 Mar 26, 2024

Intriguing take with the prompt, Stella! I'll read again when you've finalized the draft. Great story - it has a diabolical feel to it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:55 Mar 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Harry ! I actually had no clue what to write this week (Sci-fi, dystopia, and speculative fiction isn't really my cup of tea.). But yes, a skin allergy and eczema flare-up gave me an idea to write about the immune system of a person with allergies/an auto-immune condition as a controlling parent. I'm a little out of my depth. I'm just happy I managed to write something. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
07:55 Mar 31, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:53 Mar 31, 2024

Dustin, that means so much coming from such a talented writer like you. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this. I must admit that I was totally stumped for ideas until this came. I'm just happy I was able to produce something this week. Hahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.