The KFC sign

Submitted into Contest #103 in response to: Write about a character looking for a sign.... view prompt

10 comments

Urban Fantasy Funny Drama

"Finally. I'm done with homework." I plopped down on my chair. I took out my phone and checked the time. "Huh. It's only 12."

I scrolled through my WhatsApp messages. My fingers landed on his contact. Why? Why do I react like this? My heart started to hurt and tears brimmed my eyes. I took a deep breath and shook my head. "No, I can't keep.doing this. I need a break."

With that in mind I called my friends. They almost instantly called up. "OMG. Girl! How you been doing? I miss you so much!" Jamie said. "Great timing, Ari. I just finished my shift. You two wanna hang out?" Gemma asked.

I smiled at my best friends voices. What would I do without them. "Yes, please! I need a break... From EVERYTHING. Wanna meet at kfc? Maybe watch a movie?" I asked with excitement.

"I thought you'd never ask." Gemma said. "Can I bring Djamaro too?" "Yeah sure why not!" I replied. "Yes! I get a break. Ballet has been killing me the past days. Some things never changed." Jamie says a bit complainant.

"Ok. See ya in an hour then."

I ordered my food and waited for my friends to arrive. I spotted a bunch of beautiful roses by the side. I walked over to them to admire them. As I did I got lost in my thoughts "All I wanted is a sign... A sign that I'm over him. A sign that moving on is the right choice. Maybe... Him not texting back is a sign... Yeah... But I know he doesn't always have internet... Maybe Gemma knows something..." I sigh and shook my head. "No. I'd rather not ask. It's better not to know and just forget about it."

"Boo!" I jumped back from the sudden sound. And looked to see Gemma with Jamie and Djamaro. "Ask about what?" Jamie asked. I shook my head and smiled. "Oh nothing much. Just forget it. That's not important. Just some stuff that's been bothering me. Anywayyysss" 

I place my palms on their back and push them towards the door. "Let's go in and order something. I bet you two are hungry. C'mon. I want to order some ice cream too."

"Wait- Ari. Tell usssss. What's best bothering you." Jamie protested. They both resisted to move. I blinked at them. "Food. First." Gemma rose her hands up. "Okay lets go, Jamie. You know how she gets when it's about food. Remember middle school?" Jamie nodded. "Yeah, you're right."

We sat down and waited. "So. Ari, what's wrong?" Djamaro asked. I sigh. "If I say it you three just will just say move on..." Jamie and Gemma looked at each other. "Ohhhh it's yo mans, Jacky. How's he?" Djamoro rose his brows. "Hah he's not my mans. He was never even my boyfriend. We never even dated." I shook my head.

"Might've as well. All those times you went out and flirted. You might've as well called them dates." Gemma said. I was about to protest. "Don't try to deny it girl. You told us every single detail. Even before you were aware you liked him." Jamie said daring me to deny her. "Ohhh I never heard this part of the story before." Djamaro leaned in to the table. 

I smiled at him. "It was a two year 'relationship'. Whatever it was. Of course you don't know everything. You only know the last half." "Oh my gosh! Tell me! What happened then." Djamaro hit Gemma. "How could you not tell me the full story, Gem." Gemma rolled her eyes. "Because I didn't think it was important. Now, Ari. It's been a year. How are you still not over him." Jamie nods in agreement. "Mhm." 

I looked down at my hands. "I don't know." I shook my head. "I mean I've dated other guys but... I just can't seem to accept a serious relationship. It's like... There's no space in my heart." Gemma placed her hands on the table. "Ok. Enough. We are goin' man hunting today. And if Jacky doesn't appear today, you will forget him. Okay?"

"I'll try too." Jamie clapped her hands. "Oh, is this why you called us? You wanted to get you mind of him." I laughed nervously and shook my head. "Don't worry. We've got this. Man hunting is on!"

"Number 409, number 409. Come get your order." We suddenly heard.

"Oh yes. My food." I jumped up to get it. "I'll go to the bathroom." Gemma said. "K." Jamie and Djamaro answered. I walked to the counter. "Here you go. I'm number 409." I smiled and gave her the paper to check. She checked everything. "Okay here you go, miss." As I walked back out I accidentally bumped into someone.

A drink spilled on me. "Oh my gosh. My shirt." I pouted. "I'm so sorry. I didn't pay attention. Are you okay?" I looked up to the person. It was a handsome guy with his handsome friends. "No, not really. But luckily It's not hot coffee. So it's not that big of a deal. I have a spare shirt." He seemed very familiar to me.

Suddenly I heard a very familiar voice. "Hey, Varo. You left your phone. Someone's calling you. Seems like a girl" My eyes widened. What were the chances I would've met him today. My gosh the universe is giving me confusing signs. "Thx, Jack. I was just apologizing to this girl for spilling my soda on her. Her name is..." He looked at me. "Ari, My names Ari." I looked at Jack's friends. "Oh, hey Ari. How've you been."

 I looked at Jack. "Don't ask me that right now. But I'm fine." He smiled. "What are you salty? You know I've been busy." I glared at him. "Yes, but you had time to text Gem- You know what never mind." Jack's friend seemed like he wanted to interfere but his phone call seemed to be more important "Sorry I gotta go." He walked to the restrooms.

"Texted who? Gemma? I thought you said you trusted me. You know I hate invasion of my privacy." He glared at me. "I didn't ask okay. You just happened to come up as a topic during a random conversation." I sighed. "And yes, I know you hate it. But we're in public. I really don't wanna argue about this right now, Jack. Now if you'll excuse me. My friends are waiting for me. And yours are for you"

I walked out of the line and sat with my food. "Dig in guys." I signed towards my food. "What happened, ari? Jamie asked. "You seem a bit upset." I looked up to her from my food. "Hmm?" Then I heard Gemma's voice. "Girls, I just spoke to a hot guy and- Ari, what's wrong with your shirt?" I gave them bewildered eyes. "Why does everyone suddenly think somethings wrong?" "I'm trying to figure out how they even figured out your mood." Djamaro shook his head. "8 year friendship." They replied.

 "Ari, your shirt" Gemma pointed towards my breasts. I looked down. My bra showed through the now see through shirt. "Oh, I forgot. One of Jack's friends accidentally spilled water on me." I grabbed my bag and went into my bag. "Hold on. Let me change." I grabbed the shirt. "Jack? You met him?" Jamie asked. I nodded.

"Oh for eff's sake. I jinxed this didn't I? And when I thought the man hunting was going well." Gemma threw her hands in the air as she cursed. "Honestly, you both just should get together already." Djamaro said lazily. "It's obvious the universe wants you two together. If you're looking for a sign not to move on, then this would be on." I shook my head. "You know what. I'm done with signs. I just want to enjoy myself today."

2 boys came to join us. "Hello ladies and gentleman. Can we join your table." The girls and Djamaro looked them up and down. "Sure. Why not." The three nodded. "I'm just gonna change quickly." I stood up. They whistled as their gaze landed on my chest. "

Lace back. Dang." I blushed a bit and rushed towards the bathroom. I bumped into Jack. "Oh, sorry Jack." His gaze landed on my bra this time too. "Emm. You should change. It's not... Appropriate to walk around like that." He looked away. "Don't get me wrong. It's not that theyre not attractive..." 

I closed my eyes. "Yeah... I was on my way to the bathroom to change. Your friend spilled his drink on me before, remember?" I walked towards the door of the girl's restroom. "I didn't notice. Guess I gotta thank him." He muttered of under his breath.

"I hear that, Jack!" I glared and signed that I'd punch him. He just stuck out his tongue like a child and went over to his friends. Where my friends were. He'd probably get a scolding from them... Eh who even cares.

July 17, 2021 01:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

David Elkind
16:10 Jul 31, 2021

Lomi, I understood and liked your story at a high level. I had some problems with specificity. Some of the language and back and forth of conversations within a paragraph got lost on me. I would have a separate paragraph for each speaker. You also have characters speaking in slang a couple of times and grammatically correct other times. Try to be more consistent. I have written in slang, and a great word is "ain't." I may be a geezer, but I don't understand what "salty" and "lace back" mean. Consider having the next speaker subtly define t...

Reply

Lomi Willow
18:08 Jul 31, 2021

Yes I understand. Thank you for the advice. I'll keep the advice in mind. Also I was supposed to write "lace black" but didn't notice the mistake until I couldn't change it. As for salty, it means you're unappy or upset

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
17:21 Jul 25, 2021

Great story! I got confused on who was talking throughout because the dialogue for multiple characters was frequently in the same paragraph. But, I like the plot.

Reply

Lomi Willow
02:57 Jul 26, 2021

Oh thx. Ill try to be much clearer and prevent the confusion next time.

Reply

Charlie Murphy
15:15 Jul 26, 2021

You're welcome. Can you read mine?

Reply

Lomi Willow
16:44 Jul 30, 2021

Of course

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tricia Shulist
13:40 Jul 24, 2021

Thanks for this. Serendipity.

Reply

Lomi Willow
20:23 Jul 24, 2021

Aww. You're welcome. You made my day.🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen `Woods
06:58 Oct 23, 2021

Thanks for writing! This was a sequence of events, it was interesting to see a wet shirt become important to your mains internal narrative. The flow was fine over E-reader, and I was able to de-flounce 1/4 of a skirt during. I can't really judge your main for her delayed rebound, it's one of those things that's so dependent of attachment styles and cultural expectations that I'm just not equipped to have opinions about it.

Reply

Lomi Willow
18:41 Oct 23, 2021

Its quite complicated. Perhaps I should've added some back story in their dialogues. Jack is Ari's first love and to put it simply she is immature when it comes to love. Since they always spoke she never got over him.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.