25 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

TW: Swearing

Having performed miracles, the lord had the crowd in the palm of his hand. A crown he’d conjured sat upon his regal head. His face was beautiful and hateful. His smile was doom and delight. Silver eyes reflected the eager inn patrons rushing to him to buy a miracle from the monster.

Sir Danielle Longbow waded through the crowd. “Please, don’t do it.” Her voice was lost in the pleas to be the rogue’s selfish boon recipient. They paid attention when she drew her sword. Her armoured bulk cut the sea of watchers as a hot knife does butter. She stood a head taller than most, looking down at greedy faces.

“Leave. Now.” She held the point of her sword to the throat of the lord who had turned from a man to a facsimile whiter than snow. He smiled the brilliant smile. His teeth became razor sharp needles.

“I can kill all but one of you,” he said to the remains of the crowd. “I only need one.”

“He’s lying to you,” Danielle said. When she turned she saw eager faces. Old crones and cripples who wanted youth and vigour again petitioned to be the one, the survivor. “If he has his way, you’ll all die.”

“I’m dying anyway,” said a woman with growths all over her body. “I’ll say it.”

Danielle put a hand across the woman’s mouth. “No, she won’t. Everyone out or I’ll kill you for treason myself. You all know I’ve killed monsters, don’t become one. Get out.”

More left, the dying woman stepped closer to the inhuman with mirrored eyes.

“What deal can you make, Danielle? I’ve come in search of death. I won’t leave until I’ve had it.” The veil of lordship fell away. Armour washed into place where the fine black and red clothes had been. His armour was hide and bone. “What do you think, mortal? Is this what you imagined?” He was a chalk statue in leather, still magnificent but animalistic instead of refined.

“You’re not from this world,” said Sir Longbow.

“What gave it away?” His vicious teeth shone with a pearly beauty.

“You have to draw blood for your god?”

“The gods give nothing for free, especially power such as mine.” The words were a casual breeze from his lips. The death of her home would be a transaction for him, nothing more.

“Your god likes blood sports?”

“Look at the world, Danielle, they all do. My god is simply honest enough to admit it. If you’d ever seen the other worlds you’d know. Even at their greatest they are monuments to futility.” He believed that. His certainty was in the cold stare of his silver eyes, the steady, passionless delivery.

“So, we’re either predators or prey?” She’d heard similar before, from rapists at the gallows. From serial killers who just couldn’t stop. From slum lords raising the rent.

“Exactly. I’m impressed you caught on so quickly. You could save your city if you’re willing to risk your own life?” He smiled the smile of a vengeful man passing the object of his hatred poisoned food.

“What do you have in mind?” She asked. Her hand gripped her sword tight.

He answered with magic. Behind him a circle of bloody fire appeared. Through the flames was a land of floating mountains and thorns. Everything was cast in the vivid red of blood lit by flame.

“Show your skill for monster slaying on my world. Best ten beasts and I’ll leave this city alone for a hundred years.” He seemed to think it was a final offer, not an opening bid.

“I fight one monster of your choice and you leave Crann alone forever.” Danielle said with the same finality.

“No chance. Time to talk to the woman.”

“Yes, my lord. I’m ready.” The crone smiled at the monster with the sparkling eyes of a young bride to her handsome betrothed.

“No. How about I kill two monsters and you stay away for ten thousand years. You’re immortal, I’m sure. That isn’t so long for you.”

“Ten monsters for five hundred years.”

“Three monsters for a thousand years.”

“Nine monsters for six hundred years,” said the alien.

“Four monsters and you’re gone for a millennium.”

“Five monsters.” He was done.

“How can I trust your word?” She asked.

His smile was the smug grin of every pompous bastard in the world combined. “You can't, I suppose. But you’ll have to. If you kill five monsters in my world, then I’ll avoid Crann for a thousand years. Deal?” He cut his palm with a knife summoned from thin air.

“I’ll shake your hand to seal the deal. I’m not cutting mine though.”

His laugh was vile. Her skin crawled as he wiped tears of mirth from his eyes. “No. You’re right. You wouldn’t want blood on your beautiful green uniform. The tree is delightful.” He waved a hand at the portal. “Let’s go, hero.”

“I need to say goodbye to people.”

“No. You fight now, or she gets to be eternally youthful, and dragons will scour your home.” His silver eyes reflected Danielle in her green Crann tabard with the gold oak upon it. The heater shield with a unicorn leaping upon it was distorted by the curve of his lenses.

The dying woman shrugged to say that she didn’t care either way.

“Five monsters and you, leave Crann alone for a millennium. Swear it,” Danielle demanded. He had the power to crush the whole city by himself but rules to follow. She could only hope that his word would be his bond. “And you’ll bring me back here when I’m done.” She didn’t want to complete the deal and be stuck on another world.

“If,” he said. That disgusting smile hung across his face, ear to ear.

“When.” She tilted her head, waiting.

“I swear that if you can kill five monsters of my choosing on my world, I will return you and leave your pitiful nation alone for a thousand years.” He held out a hand. White as snow. Cold as ice. Hard as stone. They shook.

“After you,” she said.

He nodded.

Smug piece of shit, she thought.

“Am I? Tough.” He said, his words conveyed that the smile was still there as he walked through a portal wreathed in flames.

In the light of his own world as he looked back, the skin that was white on her world looked red or orange. The eyes that had been silver looked gold.

She stepped through, wishing she had asked more questions.

Too late.

On crimson rock atop a cliff, she saw a world where gravity was a suggestion ignored by most of reality. Mercy was a foreign concept despised by the locals. Her solid footing bobbed as she moved her weight. The ground when she looked over the cliff was somewhere far below. Darkness gave no hint of the distance.

She’d seen aurora on her world, the dancing menace in the sky had the same forms as the magnetic distortions she’d seen. On that world they were rage in red and orange.

Twisting silhouettes snaked through the air far away.

A drizzle of blood fell from the sky, though nothing bled above her.

“Ready or not, here it comes.” That voice she hated began the fight.

She turned; sword drawn.

June 17, 2022 13:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

L M
13:57 Dec 10, 2022

Having to sacrifice herself because of the greed of others is awful for Danielle. The man representing the god really likes his job doesnt he? The selfish people are the only reason Danielle has to do anything arent they? If they refused then he would just have to go?

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:34 Dec 11, 2022

Yes, that’s the deal the herald has to stick to. He can offer them anything to say the words or write them but he can’t make them do it. They have to do it willingly.

Reply

L M
13:19 Dec 12, 2022

Thats quite evil!

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:35 Dec 12, 2022

Yup. He serves a cruel god.

Reply

L M
09:52 Dec 14, 2022

Evil?

Reply

Graham Kinross
13:41 Dec 14, 2022

Possibly. Not good for humanity anyway.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
09:27 Jun 20, 2022

I think this might be one of my favourite installments of Danielle's story yet, especially because of the moral/philsophical back and forth, the eerie magic, and the tension. I found this line particularly interesting: “The gods give nothing for free, especially power such as mine.” It's intriguing because if gods truly answered to sacrifices/blood, I can completely imagine people trading just about anything for the right reward. This might be random, but the line about answering with magic was really visceral and well placed. I will certa...

Reply

Graham Kinross
11:48 Jun 20, 2022

Thanks Moon, I'll check out more of your stories soon. Good to hear from you. What are you working on just now?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Jackson
01:14 Jun 20, 2022

I enjoyed this story, Graham! Lots of action and great tension. I pondered over the paragraph about blood sports - ‘…My god is simply honest enough to admit it.’ I found truth in there (not necessarily about gods but people and what they say vs what they do) Thanks for sharing. :-)

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:15 Jun 20, 2022

Sometimes I wish the warmongers in political positions would be more honest about their beliefs. It would be harder for people to go along with it if they believe. I was watching The Boys where Homelander talks about all of the violence he wants to unleash but he hides it and another bit where he’s honest about his superiority complex and people see it about him fighting cancel culture. He starts wanting to express his violent nature more openly. Hopefully that’s not a spoiler.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
13:35 Jun 18, 2022

To go to the next chapter, use the link below. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/8gfmzy/

Reply

L M
13:59 Dec 10, 2022

Thanks for the link on this one. Some of the other ones didnt have a link. You should fix them.

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:33 Dec 11, 2022

I’ll try to fix that.

Reply

L M
13:19 Dec 12, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:35 Dec 12, 2022

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
22:01 Jun 17, 2022

I love how you burst right into the story, into the setting and era, immediately in those first two sentences. Very well done. The action and tension in here was great, and I appreciated the subtle details about the type of garb and armor. This was definitely my favorite line: “Twisting silhouettes snaked through the air far away.”

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:48 Jun 17, 2022

Thanks Aeris. I’m going to try to finish this story arc this week. Seen any prompts that you like now that the new ones are out?

Reply

Aeris Walker
00:25 Jun 18, 2022

I look forward to reading more! Gosh, I don’t know—I read through each one and nothing sparked an idea right away… but I like that they are somewhat vague, and will maybe allow for a bit more flexibility.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
02:14 Jul 07, 2023

this is just the start?!

Reply

Graham Kinross
04:37 Jul 07, 2023

The series is ongoing, so yes.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:47 Jul 11, 2023

understand.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
18:17 Jun 17, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:54 Jun 17, 2022

It’s not over. I’m going to try to finish that story arc with this weeks prompt about repeating dialogue. You have any ideas for the new prompts?

Reply

Unknown User
03:43 Jun 18, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Graham Kinross
04:09 Jun 18, 2022

You should. Every story is practice for the next.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.