59 comments

Contemporary Happy Creative Nonfiction

Years ago, when I still lived in East Hampton, New York, I met a neighbor. As we got to know each other we began to socialize with one another on a regular basis over the summer. What began as borrowed cups of sugar, flour, or coffee, turned into occasional drinks at each other’s homes, and eventually grew to invitations to our neighborly backyard barbeques. As she accepted my first cookout invite, she asked, “Do you mind if my dog comes too?”

“Of course not: To be honest with you, I get along with dogs and cats better than I do with most humans I’ve met! You’re both welcome, so why don’t the two of you show up at my place around seven this evening and we’ll throw some food on the fire for everyone. By the way, what’s your dog’s name?”

“Shark”

“Shark??

“Yep, I named him shark.”

And I just let it go at that.

At a few minutes past seven as I was igniting the charcoal in the grill, Zooey, my neighbor, and Shark her dog, had made their way from their house to my backyard. After a few neighborly hugs, Zooey handed me a bottle of chilled white wine she had brought along for the alfresco dining occasion, which I promptly opened and poured each of us a glass. Doing my best to be a good host I had also returned from my house not only with the glasses of wine for us bipeds but also a bowl of water for her quadruped companion.

As we humans sat in lawn chairs, sipping our Sauvignon Blanc, Shark took a seat next to Zooey’s and began to study me. His stare rarely veered from where I sat as we drank, threw some chicken, potatoes, and corn on the BBQ, and chatted away as the summer sun sunk lower in the cloudless evening sky. In fact, just about the only time Shark looked away from me was after I had placed a plate of chicken before him that I had considerately filleted and cut up for the dog.

For a moment the animal remained motionless. Shark then looked down at the plate of food, then at me, and finally up at Zooey, who told him “That’s okay, Shark, you can eat now.”

I was impressed. Shark was not only well behaved but he appeared to possess good manners too. The only other time Shark looked away from me was when he twice had to make a trip to the shrubbery that separated our yards to relieve himself in privacy. He may have only been a midsized non-pedigree mongrel my neighbor had picked up at a rescue shelter (or so I was informed of later) but he certainly knew how to conduct himself like a gentleman in mixed company. 

When the meal and the wine were finished the neighbor assisting me in the clean-up process told me she’d let me know the next time she would be cooking outside and that I’d of course be invited. Then she and her pet returned to their home. It wasn’t until a few late mornings later that we bumped into each other again while we were both puttering about our respective front yards. Her mixed breed was at her side. A place he seldom seemed to want to leave. After the exchange of the obligatory neighborly salutations, I asked her, “What’s the back-story behind your puppy’s name? Why’d you call him Shark?”

With a pixyish look of mischievousness on her tanned face, Zooey simply responded, “Are you busy doing anything urgently important right now?” 

“No, not really, what did you have in mind?”

“Follow us,” was all she said.

I may not have already mentioned it but our houses out here in The Hamptons were within walking distance of the public beach. So, the three of us left our homes with me walking on the roadside of the sidewalk (see, Shark wasn’t the only gentleman in our little trio) that eventually became a sandy shoulder pathway, Zooey flanked in the middle, and Shark walking alongside her to the right. By the time we reached the shore, it was almost noon, and boy, was it ever hot outside! Now standing where the sand met the tarred surface of the already nearly full public parking lot, I could see that while the beach was crowded with most sunbathers on towels and folding outdoor furniture, there were several dozen or so swimmers in the choppy waves.

“Go ahead, Sharky, you can go play now,” Zooey told the mutt.

And with her permission, he tore off running and kicking up small clouds of sand along the way. Up and down the shoreline the beast frolicked and played with hardly anyone paying any attention to him. By this time, he now had even dashed into the shallow ocean coastline to chase receding waves of water and was then chased back to dry land by the incoming ones, barking happily as the game played out. Not being sure where all of this was going, I had to ask, “How does any of this explain why you named your little buddy as you did?”

Turning in my direction Zooey gave me a covert co-conspiratorial wink of one of her dazzling green eyes then whispered in glee, “Watch and listen!”

Cupping her hands along the sides of her mouth in order to amplify her voice Zooey began calling the dog’s name over and over again, “Shark, Shark, get out of the water now, Shark!”

In my entire life, I’d never seen so many people exit the water as quickly as I did on that day. Those closest to land were out of the ocean in a blink of an eye and waving in the swimmers who were farther out to sea. A couple of them even echoed the pet owner’s original cry of “Shark, Shark, get out of the water now, Shark!” Those bobbing in the briny deep blue who were within earshot raced to shore as if they were being pursued by, well, some hungry shark.

While this addition of those on the water’s edge shouting his name may have momentarily befuddled and confused the dog named Shark, he nonetheless ran to obediently return, at the sound of his master’s command, to Zooey’s side. He was, after all, a very good dog, a very, very, good, good dog. Although we were both cracking up with maniacal laughter, we wordlessly decided it was best to leave now lest we be revealed as the ones who had just innocently instigated a false shark alarm.

My appreciation of Zooey’s sense of sardonic humor, as well as Zooey in general, rose by several degrees after that little exhibition. Throughout the remainder of that summer, the three of us shared multiple neighborly visits, many bottles of wine, plentiful pounds of great food cooked out on the grill, and most importantly of all, lots of laughs. And every now and then, the three of us would return to the beach to play Shark’s and Zooey’s favorite beach time prank.

May 29, 2021 20:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

59 comments

Richard Hawkins
23:37 May 29, 2021

the best part is that it is a true story . What a great share thank you

Reply

Stevie B
00:10 May 30, 2021

As they say: truth is often stranger than fiction. But then again, they're always saying something. Thank you, Richard.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mark Wilson
13:54 Jun 01, 2021

Great story Stevie! hahaha - loved it.

Reply

Stevie B
14:13 Jun 01, 2021

Thank you Mark!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:27 Jun 01, 2021

Hello Stevie, I only read your full disclosure after the story, so I had no idea it was true. What a HIL-arious story--even more so once I found out this actually happened to you. Your title was a red herring for me. I thought Shark was going to be a beast who misbehaved and bit everyone in sight. Then the two people would be fighting and become strangers. I was really thrown off and I loved it! Diabolical. You have a new fan and I'll be reading your stories during my free time all week until they're done. Thanks for sharing your wor...

Reply

Stevie B
12:19 Jun 01, 2021

Trina-you made my day-thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zenita Belle
15:20 May 30, 2021

This had sharp observation and was funny. Thank you for following me.

Reply

Stevie B
15:42 May 30, 2021

You're welcome Zenita and thank you for your comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felicity Neeley
14:20 Jun 16, 2021

What a sweet story!! Thank you for sharing this with us :)

Reply

Stevie B
15:47 Jun 16, 2021

Felicity, you're welcome and thanks for the compliment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ojasvi Teltia
12:16 Jun 13, 2021

Really loved the story! And thanks for following me!

Reply

Stevie B
16:51 Jun 13, 2021

My pleasure and happy to hear you enjoyed my little doggy tale, Ojasvi.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruth Porritt
04:49 Jun 11, 2021

Hello Stevie B, Because I love to write horror stories, I thought the dog was going to do something horrible to you. (I thought he was going to bite off one of your toes, or something like that.) :) I am enjoying your writing because it feels fresh. Again, your narrative voice is clear, and I appreciate that writing with a clear voice is difficult. Have a great one, Ruth P.

Reply

Stevie B
11:11 Jun 11, 2021

Ruth, I enjoy reading the horror genre more than writing it. Perhaps it's because if I only could name one thing that reading Frankenstein has taught me it's that many times it's the humans who are creation's worst monsters. I have read your work and really enjoyed it, so it's an honor a talent such as yourself took the time to not only read some of mine but also to share your thoughts with me.

Reply

Ruth Porritt
10:30 Jun 12, 2021

Hello Stevie, Yes, as Superman's daughter (I like this title) and the daughter of a pastor, I appreciate the perspective that people who appear kind and "normal" can have something terrible writhing about inside them that won't burst forth until the afterlife. (LOL, as you can imagine, I don't share these kinds of thoughts with my students.) As you correctly say, humans are uniquely equipped to become monsters. Frankenstein is one of my favorite novels, so I did Frankenstein this year, with two senior students. (They are amazing, and they...

Reply

Stevie B
13:37 Jun 12, 2021

Dear Superman's Daughter, If you haven't already done so you may want to consider putting that story about your dad down in writing and calling, I don't know..."Superman's Daughter" or something like that. An interesting subtext could be explored in how your dad was not only a Superman of a guy while leaping through glass doors in a single bound but more so how throughout life his acts of love and kindness were his most formidable superpowers; the ones that allowed him to fly high and to respond to those he cared for faster than a speeding ...

Reply

Ruth Porritt
02:53 Jun 13, 2021

Hello Stevie B, Again, thanks so much for your kind help and assistance. I think this is a wonderful idea (to write about my father) and I love the themes and POV that you mentioned. I will do this kind of story in July or August. I am also going to write a story from my grandmother’s point of view. (She was a complex woman.) Sure, I would be delighted to have my name mentioned (footnote in your next story) and I can’t wait to read the story of the vampire. I have never read a vampire story like the one you describe. Cool! :) Correspond...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Renata Paschoal
20:07 Jun 10, 2021

Dude, you're hilarious! Haha

Reply

Stevie B
20:18 Jun 10, 2021

Well, Renata, just ask any of my ex-wives and they'll be happy to tell you about what a joke I am,,,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Martin
13:52 Jun 10, 2021

I actually came to ask if this was a true story, then I saw the first comment. I truly felt like you were telling me story that happened to you, the conversational tone of your writing easy to read... especially since it's how I write as well. Nice work.

Reply

Stevie B
14:12 Jun 10, 2021

Thank you, Martin. So glad you enjoyed this tiny doggy tale.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.D. Stark
16:47 May 31, 2021

I really like how a simple memory can turn poetic in hands of a great writer. Well done, you've made Shark unforgettable!

Reply

Stevie B
16:53 May 31, 2021

Thank you for the praise and assisting in making good ol' Shark immortal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liz Redt
07:20 Jun 10, 2021

Lol

Reply

Stevie B
12:00 Jun 10, 2021

Glad this doggy tale got a laugh out of you, Liz.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Austin Diaz
18:49 Jun 09, 2021

I liked this story. I found the pacing good and the mood engaging. And, of course, it's funny. You mix a couple different writing styles, I find, ranging from plain spoken (the beginning) to sardonic to conversational. All of them you pull off, but I wonder if the story wouldn't benefit from a singular choice. Completely possible I'm wrong, but that first line was so matter of fact but somehow engaging that I was immediately hooked and wanted more of those types of sentences...if that makes sense.

Reply

Stevie B
19:08 Jun 09, 2021

Austin, good to know you enjoyed and thank you for your thought provoking suggestion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Theresa Bhowan
15:15 Jun 09, 2021

I laughed so hard!

Reply

Stevie B
15:44 Jun 09, 2021

Glad my story gave you a laugh, Theresa.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Missy StClair
09:09 Jun 09, 2021

Such a fun story! Loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:08 Jun 08, 2021

I loved this story! Made me laugh. True tales are the best! Reminds me of a time a dog ran up to me, yapping furiously. Its owner said, "Don't worry!" He doesn't bite. Here, Nipper!"

Reply

Stevie B
23:23 Jun 08, 2021

Victoria, thank you for sharing that doggone funny antidote with me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anita Booke
17:11 Jun 08, 2021

I love that the story is true! This makes reading it so much more awesome. You did such a great job of putting it to paper.

Reply

Stevie B
17:20 Jun 08, 2021

Thank you, Anita, so happy you enjoyed my work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:28 Jun 08, 2021

I just joined this wonderful platform and the first read already hooked me up....hahahahah I couldn't help but to smile the entire time....wasn't expecting the humor in the beginning though!!!! Already shared this to my friends and they were all smiles after reading....keep up the good work STEVIE

Reply

Stevie B
11:28 Jun 08, 2021

Thank you, Sagarika, and welcome to this wonderful writing community!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ari Masters
19:32 Jun 07, 2021

Cute! I miss “neighborly hugs.”

Reply

Stevie B
20:37 Jun 07, 2021

Thank you, Ari!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:17 Jun 07, 2021

Naming a pup is a daunting task—your friend really nailed it! I loved this story so much. I keep rereading it and showing it to friends and family, and we laugh EVERY time! Looking forward to reading more of your stuff! :)-/-<

Reply

Stevie B
20:37 Jun 07, 2021

Glad this story is making the rounds with you and your friends, Jacqueline.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ritu Rajput
16:02 Jun 07, 2021

Really enjoyed reading this story 😃

Reply

Stevie B
16:07 Jun 07, 2021

Thank you, Ritu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.