0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Thriller

There once was a small village, in a world not like ours. Away from the kingdom, so far in fact  that it had its own tiny government. But that also meant it was prone to various monster attacks. They needed to learn how to fight them off without calling to the kingdom each and every time. However, none of the villagers were aware of a witch hiding within their village. The witch's name was Monica, though despite being a witch, she was a very kind lady. She created special serums to help the sick, and made food to feed the poor, she used her magic solely to help people. She had a child named Lucas, Lucas is a fine young lad who's very hopeful for the future. However, he longed for more than this small village, he wanted to see the worlds fabled in his mothers spellbooks.

Although Lucas did ask his mother to learn magic, Monica only gave him a simple spell book for beginners. However she also told him about a secret spell book that very few sorcerers have in this world. The Tome of Darkness. She keeps it locked away for no one to touch it, at the very end of the dark woods sealed away with only a key, in fears that it would either fall into the wrong hands or be destroyed. Lucas was immediately interested in this spellbook and wanted to learn more about it.

However before Lucas can search for the Tome of Darkness, The village siren started screaming, because the werewolves were attacking. Many villagers fled to try and get to safer areas, while others stood up to fight, although they were severely outmatched. They knew they would lose and even the bravest feared for their lives. But before all hope was lost, Monica used her spells to detract the werewolves away from the village, they fled with their tails down as they wept in pain from the magic she casted. Monica single-handedly saved their village. 

However, the villagers were not happy about discovering that a witch lives within their village. She hastily told Lucas how to get to the spellbook before they captured her. Lucas quickly grabbed the key in their house, but as he grabbed the key, the villagers lit it ablaze. Lucas narrowly escaped with his life and ran quickly to the dark forest. When he escaped The village, he saw a distant burning out in the fields, there was chanting. Screaming. It was then that Lucas knew his life would never be the same again.

As Lucas traveled through the dark woods, he tried his hardest to hide the tears of losing his mother. He traveled throughout the night looking for the location of the Tome, and it felt like a fruitless adventure. He needed to rest, he was tired and overwhelmed, scared, and unsure of what to do. Through this mix of emotions he decided to find shelter and spend the night there. Lucas found a cave after a great deal of mindlessly searching. He decided to not make a fire incase of sending smoke signals to the village accidentally, so he sat in the dark until he finally fell asleep for the night. 

He woke up with hours later with a jolt thinking all that had just happened was only a bad nightmare, but only to be hit with the sad remembrance in which it was all real. He finally started to cry as he laid there, his life had been fine yesterday morning, and it still would’ve been if it weren’t for those evil people. He sat up against the cave wall collecting himself, and preparing for the journey ahead of him. He knew it would be long and unforgiving, and that one wrong turn could kill him. This constant fear of death loomed in his mind and he was unsure if he wanted to go anymore. He would much rather lay down and die at this point in time, sorrow had overwhelmed him and left him almost completely hopeless, but there was a small gleam of hope; the other worlds. They could be amazing worlds unlike the cruel one he lived in, he thought deeply about how he thought ooooooothey would look, sound and even how the people would act. With this small gleam of hope he got himself to get up and start the trek. He was going to get out of here!

Just then as he got up, there was demonic chanting coming from the woods, as he got closer, there was a safe, glowing a dark green color, he inched closer believing it was the Tome of Darkness, the spell book his mother had told him about, he was intrigued by this sight and hoped his questions to be answered by this miraculous find. He grabbed the key from his waist, put it up to the lock, and slowly unlocked the safe. He tried his best to show no fear in the face of this mighty book, but trembled knowing this was it. "You feel as if you are ready for this, Lucas?" He jumped back thinking someone else was there watching him. Scanning the area thoroughly, ready for anything to jump out at him, after a moment he came to the conclusion that he was still alone. He stood in disbelief after realising the only thing that could’ve even made the noise was the Tome. "Your mother was right to keep me locked away, she knew of the dangers that can occur for those who are not worthy."Lucas took a deep breath as he reached out to grab the Tome, the key to traveling beyond the world that he lies within. "Good," the Tome says, "now, we can begin.” suddenly an aura of darkness swarms around Lucas trapping him. "To travel the world you have to sacrifice something grave, but only one sacrifice for a you child is not enough. Perhaps having a partner around will help you succeed in traveling. There is a princess, sad and alone in the Kingdom of Hibeth, perhaps you can convince her to join you, now, good luck.” Was the last thing heard before he lost all sense.

This story is inspired by the prompts at reedsy.com

April 16, 2021 16:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.