5 comments

Fiction Funny Gay

Roger plans to spend part of his two-week vacation on a four-day weekend, at a bargain price, stay at a tropical resort. Even with the cost of airfare, it would still be a bargain. It will also give him enough money to purchase tropical weather attire.

           “Where are you going?” Mother asks.

           Roger tells her.

           “How will you get there?” Father asks.

           “Flying.”

           “Oh, I thought you might be going on one of those ships,” Father says.

           “No, I’ll be on an airplane.”

           “Want us to check on your apartment?” Mother asks.

           “The building has good security.”

           “Maybe, you’ll find another girlfriend,” Mother says.

           “Maybe.” He sighs. It was a close relationship with Mildred until she followed her job to Boston then it became a relationship from afar that dwindled until it stopped.   

The plane ride is taking longer than was announced due to some turbulence. At the airport, he had thought about buying magazines to read but second thought himself and now he wish that he stayed with the first thought. Finally, he arrives, and a hotel limousine take him and other guests to the hotel. As he approaches he sees the hotel; it looks to be renovated.

           A clerk gives him a keycard with instructions. “Your room is on the third floor. The assistant will follow you with your luggage. Breakfast is from eight to ten and dinner is also from eight to ten. There is room service from the kitchen. The cost of your stay also includes the meals, drinks and all gratuities.”

           “Thank you,” Roger says. He ponders; it is six oh clock, so he’ll take a nap for a couple of hours then officially begin his vacation. He opens the door sees on the other twin bed clothes laid out on it. He hears the shower running. He looks at the number on the key card then check it with the number on the door.

           “That’s your roommate,” Assistant says.

           “Roommate?” He tries to remember if he had read every word on the brochure. He’s quite sure that he did, and no roommate was mentioned; he is quite sure of that. Assistant leaves. Roger notices the clear closet space and moves his clothes from his luggage into it. The man steps out of the bathroom, wearing a robe. He is not surprised to see Roger who looks at him and sees a handsome fellow who might help him with the ladies. In a feminine voice he says, “You must be my roommate; hi my name is Marvin.” He holds out his hand in a lady like manner for Roger to shake it, instead, Roger hurries out of the room to the clerk station.

           “My roommate is gay, and I am not,” he says.

           “We are not match makers,” she says.

           “The brochure said nothing about a roommate.”

           “It said bargain price instead.”

           “I want another room.”

           “Sir, please look around you.”  He does so and it seems that half of everyone in the world has taken advantage of the bargain price. He returns to the room. Marvin has gone. Fully clothed, he naps afterwards prepares himself for dinner, thinking of ways to defend himself from Marvin.

           The dining room is crowded. The Maître D asks for his room key. His thought, ‘oh darn now I have to sit with him in the open.’

           “Just to make sure that you’re an actual guest.”

           “Oh yes, sure, I am.” He displays his key.

           “Thank you, single sitting.”

           “Yes.”

           She guides him through the dining room. He sees Marvin at a table with another fellow and a woman. Marvin sees him, waves. Roger pretend not to see him. The table for singles without companions is a long table, apparently, to encourage coupling or gathering. The chairs do not face the diners at smaller round tables instead the large window with the view of the grounds.  A waiter interrupts his admiring how the electric lights, dusk lights makes the grounds appear magical.  

           After dinner, he roams the magical land; its walking paths to putting greens then to a tennis court where he sits in the stands to watch a doubles match until it ends then he strolls over to the pool party which seems to be a daylong event. He sees Marvin and his two friends frolicking. He notices the circular bar, walks to it. He’s not much of a drinker of alcohol beverages so he asks for what his father does, “bourbon and water.”  

After the third drink, he feels woozy, so he decides to go to bed. It’s almost midnight anyway. But when he does go to bed, he’ll go fully clothed. Early morning sunlight makes him open his eyes, but he has a blurry view of what he thought was Marvin, but it is his female companion naked except for panties hurriedly dressing then Marvin come through the door. The woman leaves and Marvin undresses then goes to bed, right away he’s breathing that deep sleep breathe. Gregory drifts back to sleep.

When he wakes, he is alone. He showers wondering was that a dream about the woman then declares that it must have been a dream. He dresses then walk to the dining room in time for breakfast. Marvin, the female, and the other fellow sits at a table munching. Marvin sees him, waves for him to join them but he waves them off and steps to the singles table. After breakfast, he walks the grounds, sightseeing the activities until he notices an announcement of a tour of the forest on horseback. He signs up. When the ride is ready, he sees Marvin and the other two already on horses. Because the road is narrow, the guide suggests that everyone ride in pairs. Marvin pairs with him. Roger is uncomfortable with it. The tour begins.

“I must talk to you,” Marvin says.

“About what?” Roger asks.

“The gal that you see with me is my sister.”

“Say what?”

“The good-looking guy is my lover.”

“What?”

“You see, we didn’t know if the hotel would accept queer couples and I asked my sister to come with us so that we can have some fun. When we got here, well, we found out that the hotel didn’t care because there are quite a few gay couples here. But, our room assignments are in stone.”

“Oh.”

“Now we can change places here because my sister thinks that you’re cute.”

Roger look over his shoulder at the smiling pretty sister, “okay.”

“Her name is Susan.”   

His vacation ends and back in his apartment he calls his parents.

           “I met a girlfriend while I was there,” he says.

           “Well, that’s good. Does she lives in Philly?” Mother asks.

           “Upper Darby.”  

           “Well, that’s not too far away.”

           “No, it’s not.”

           “How did you meet her?”

           “Are you ready for a good laugh.”

           “Oh boy.”    

March 04, 2021 01:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Ari Berri
16:19 Mar 09, 2021

This is awesome. Nice use of the prompt!

Reply

George Davis
16:07 Mar 11, 2021

Thank You

Reply

Ari Berri
16:19 Mar 11, 2021

No problem.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L. Fairbanks
02:26 Mar 11, 2021

Clever situation and fun use of the prompt.

Reply

George Davis
16:08 Mar 11, 2021

Thank You

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.