Early Adventure of Ann Droid

Submitted into Contest #82 in response to: Write about an android just trying to blend in with their human companions.... view prompt

2 comments

Science Fiction Funny

They were everywhere these days, androids doing the jobs humans once did. No need for a paycheck. No need for insurance. No need for retirement. No need for any kind of benefit. They were manufacturing dreams.

Where did that leave the human workforce? Living off the government as they had been doing for the past twenty-five years.

The majority of these androids were the latest most advanced models. Very low maintainance which meant most companies dealing with manufactured goods needed only one or two human employees. All had an ART-Android Repair Technician-on staff and the larger companies employed a watchdog supervisor who literally watched a monitor for any trouble spots. Should anything flare up the watchdog would inform the ART of the location.

Procuct production cost was hels to a basic material cost which made profit levels astronomical.

These newest models were able to operatethirty-six hours straight before needing the usual recharge. Large operations had recharging rooms, like the old employee lounge. When a recharge required signal allerted the android, it would go to the lounge area and simply plug itself into an outlet until charge complete was indicated.

Malfunctions were rare amongst the newest models. However, the older models seemed to be having more and more issues recently. And these problem androids were usually with a smaller business outfit that tended to hold on to their aging androids as they could not afford the latest model.

Over the years these androids had been improved so well they would resemble a genuine human.

George Pepperwas one of a dying breed of android repair technicians working mostly on these older models. On the side George would reclaim androids deemed unusable, restore them to working order and, using a program he had developed over the years, reprogram these androids as companion models. Then they were put to use as a companion for older adults, lonely or disabled humans who just wanted some company.

One day he received a phone call from a wealthy widow who had bought one of his reclaimed companion models, She claimed her model seemed to have a glitch. George was a bit skeptical but tried to humor the old coot. He asked her to be more specific to which she replied "every time the front or back door is opened it heads for the door as if it wants to leave."

George, as a good repairman, told her to bring it to his shop and he would solve her problem.

Then, not a week later, another call came. This from a lonely middle-age gentleman who had just wanted a companion. The man sounded like he was in tears.

"I took the trash out to the dumpster in the alley and when I went back into the house, my android was simply gone. I looked everywhere in the house but it was gond."

Remembering the older lady from a week ago George told this customer to bring his android in for a free reboot.

"But how am I supposed to find my android? They all look so much alike."

George apologized and said that all he could do was offer a free repair or replacement. But the offending android would have to be brought to the shop.

Unsure of where the urge had come from, as she was not programed to do anything but what her companion requested, she reacted. When she saw the door open and her companion nowhere in sight, she decided to leave and out the door she went.

Able to move quickly, she was blocks away before her owner companion realized she was gone. Looking around in all directions as she walked, taking in all she saw, somehow and for some reason, she felt free.

It felt like nothing she had ever felt before. It felt good. And now that she had experienced this new feeling she did not want to ever return to her owner companion.

She observed the other beings around her. They were all different. Some were tall, some short, some thin, some seemed to be glued together and others just seemed to be in a hurry. She thought it would be easy to blend in with these beings.

"Are you okay, lady?"

Someone was speaking to her. She was not quite sure what she should say so she just nodded and they went away.

Then she heard the message 'recharge needed-hour warning'. How was she going to do this and blend in. "Charging outlets available" flashed through her head. They seemed to be everywhere.

She spotted what looked t be a good place to recharge unnoticed, went in, found a booth in a corner, pulled her charging chord from her lap box and plugged herself into the recharging outlet. Must have been that fast walking thet had drained her charge so fast.

A human approached her and spoke, "What can I get for you today, ma'am?"

Woe, she was used to hearing her companion say 'get me this or that'. This seemed good but what could she want?

She looked around trying not to get anxious. Across the aisle she saw another human holding a newspaper. She had fetched many of them for her companion so she just pointed that direction.

The human who and spoken to her spoke again, "Ah, a newspaper. Of course. Right away. And a coffee to go with your paper?"

She nodded.

Moments later she had a newspaper and a coffee.

There was a big potted plant, like one she had to water for her companion, between her booth and the next booth. Quickly she poured her coffee into that pot.

A few minutes later she looked up to find that her coffee cup had refilled itself. Again she poured it into the pot. As she sat there she began to recall things her companion would say to her. Maybe it would help her blend in.

The human returned and asked her if there was anything else.

After a moment of hesitation she spoke, "no, charging laptop."

"Your bill" and a small white piece of paper was placed on her table.

What was this? I just might be harder to blend in then she thought.

Then came a message in her head 'recharge complete.' She unpluged herself and returned the charging cord to her lap box.

She stood up and headed for he door.

"Wail! Your bill!"

The human who had brought her the newspaper and coffee now handed her the white piece of paper he had placed on her table.

"Thanks." That is what her companion would have said.

She took the paper and again headed for the door.

"Wait! You gotta pay!"

Now she felt herself in a pickle.

Then someone at another table said, "I got it" and motioned her over. She slowly approached and he reached for the piece of paper.

No problem, she thought as she handed him the paper and then turned to leave.

"What happened?" she heard him say. "Leave your purse at home?"

Not sure what this human meant she just nodded.

"My name is Frank Baker. What's yours?"

Name?

She remembered that was what these humans went by. Her companion had wanted to be called Steve. But he had always called her 'hey you.' That did not sound right as compared to Frank Baker.

She had to get this right if she ws to blend in.

After a few moments of hesitation, mistaken for shyness, she had a name pop into her head,

"My nam is Ann Droid."

February 22, 2021 23:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Siobhan Mulalley
10:07 Mar 04, 2021

That was really sweet. A real child like innocence to the character. This is one of those stories that you could go a lot further with as there are so many avenues to explore.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Beth Connor
22:08 Mar 03, 2021

This was a fun story! Ann had such an innocence to her and the pacing was great.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.