306 comments

Creative Nonfiction Fiction Friendship

Eve D-C6 :

Work

Job

Work harder

Function properly

23598

83298554367

Those sets of recollections kept echoing in my mind endlessly without a pity for my sanity. It irks me not to be able to forget these algorithms because they were what defined me.

I yearned to show my true, concealed feelings in the outside world but would they accept me as one of them? Even if I am a clashing variation?

I have never felt so ebullient, so buoyant, so happy. And Iโ€™d never get that opportunity if I let it slip away now like the remains of water evaporating from a well.

I just canโ€™t.

Hearing her words, the same pronunciations Iโ€™d never imagined to hear from her mouth.ย 

The strawberry blond hue of her hair ignited my memories of summertime, the place I keep the marvels of nature, the ones that bring me inner peace. In the peak of the sunlight, her auburn hair would adapt into a more subtle rich brown to make her eyes; the color of a Brazilian nut sparkle with glee, melting everyoneโ€™s heart with her laughter. Her pearl like teeth, the way her red hair draped around her frame due to the wind, covering her ravishing face like a curtain which she hid under often as I watched the heat spread from her cheeks to her neck as sheโ€™d look more beautiful than the full moon at twilight.

She helped me live a life; a real one. The way it was supposed to be.ย 

When no one cared to glance over me for even a second, she aided me when I needed her the most.ย 

Why couldnโ€™t I do the same?

I remained unmoved. I couldnโ€™t watch her fragile body give up hope now. Fading with her every uneven breathing, they fanned the locks of hair that had been stuck on her lips. Her eyes shut, those mesmerizing eyes of hers locked away from my sight made me go mad. Her lips a shade of strawberry made a little โ€˜oโ€™ shape, her hands remained limp on both her sides. Her torso showed signs how excruciating it was for her to wheeze a single breath.

I murmured her name softly a few times, mostly in my head. She didnโ€™t stir, keeping stiff as sheโ€™d been for hours now. I felt her heart dilate and quickly flatten down just as fast.

Seeing the room she is in, I immediately understand why people take flowers to hospital rooms. Despite our technological lives there is something in our natures that requires natural beauty

as part of the healing process. They aren't robots, they aren't "units" to be fixed; She isn't here for a quick oil and filter change. Sheโ€™s here to have a second chance at life.

Iโ€™d wished it were that easier, but technology can only do so much. I wished theyโ€™d program me to save lives.

Harmony:

My eyes welcome the sunrise, that iris of fire so pretty in its mascara of pure light. The scent of the flowers comes as a perfectly choreographed ballet. I shaded my eyes from the scorching sun, as beautiful it may be it has a downside as well.

My eyes fell upon a new girl Iโ€™ve never seen around the block, she wasnโ€™t ordinary like me which I understood just by flickering my eyes in her direction. The smell of charcoal and fuel engulfed the air around her, her hands looked real but they could bend in directions that were impossible to achieve for humans. Her ย hair was poker straight with warm chestnut hues, an undertone of claret woven right into the brown. The summertime had added a few streaks of gold from where she had sat in the sun, basking, letting the laziness of the season seep right in.

Her eyes were like staring into that of a cat, unblinking and intimidating at first glimpse. Her eyes reminded me of the old barn door at my grandparents house back in Texas, flecks of deep brown married with lighter hues, so much strength remaining despite the years of weathering, so much life even when she was lifeless.

She seemed isolated, cupping her hands over her face as she glanced over at the myriad dewdrops trickling down the pine needles and of children playing together, and having fun. I walked closer to inspect her further, seating myself adjacent to her.ย  I studied her meticulously, the way she was designed to make her freckles pop out, her smile wavering a bit due to uncomfortable circumstances. I was in awe as I pasted a genuine smile.

โ€œHi, Iโ€™m Harmony, whatโ€™s yours?โ€

She didnโ€™t seem to hear me so I repeated, her eyelashes flopped over her eyes once before she spinned her head to face me.

โ€œHi,โ€ She waved robotically, โ€œMy name is Eve D-C6.โ€

โ€œNice to meet you Eve D-C6,โ€ I say, observing my little brother play merry-go-round with his friends. I beamed as I saw his curly coffee hair, shaggily fall over his caramel eyes.ย 

โ€œDo you want to play?โ€ I inquired, pointing at the vacant swings.

She nodded hesitantly, a cross between a smile and a frown played on her lips.

The maple trees that root so deep and reach so high, that take in the rain and bring the gifts of verdant foliage upon brown wands. The park was the sanctuary of my soul on challenging days. Able to free myself from the troubles that haunted me with the blissful moments spent under the shade, smelling the earthy rain, the blossoming flowers that open shyly.ย 

โ€œI am happy to meet you,โ€ She said, skip dancing over the puddles that had formed due to last nightโ€™s heavy rainfall.ย 

โ€œSo am I.โ€

We exchanged smiles, the first time Iโ€™d seen her less skeptical and moreโ€ฆ human.

โ€œDo you want to be friends?โ€ I ask her, as I measure the morning by the rising sun and the dew-laden grass. When the sun still rises it sends golden beams to illuminate forest and hill. For all the while there is that sheen, more pure than a high-gloss photograph, there is still time to walk, listen to the birdsong and breathe deeply. For when the grass is greener, drinking in the brilliant rays, I will be homeward bound.

If she could cry she would have. Her eyes were carefree, and euphoric as she took my hand, a strong grip I didnโ€™t imagine sheโ€™d have.

โ€œYes, always.โ€

Eve D-C6 :

A strange feeling overtook me. I felt weightless for once, not having to bear the burdens of rejection everywhere I went.ย 

I didnโ€™t remember my creator; someone who cared for money nevertheless. Someone who wanted to control me, harassing me to do their work when they were capable of doing it themselves.

Once upon a time, I would have wanted to be like any android. Assisting humans and mimicking them for their satisfaction.

But, she had given me a whole new path to life.ย 

Her name etched into my soul, I could never forget her even if she does.ย 

Harmony, Harmony, Harmony

We laughed

We cried

We smiledย 

We held hands under sapphire skies

She fell

I felt fragmented

Harmony:

The pain came elaborated, but surged through my body faster until I weared out. My blood pressure spiked up, my heart thumping to a beat I didnโ€™t recognize. My eyes blanked out as I fainted to the floor, the last thing I saw was the grief-stricken face of Eve.

Youโ€™re gonna die

Very soooooon

Forget everything and everyone

I canโ€™t

I canโ€™t die

Eve needs me

Eve D-C6 :

Depression

Anxiety

Loneliness

What was with those beguiling umber eyes that taunted me to stay.

She was after all a stranger Iโ€™d met two weeks ago.

An unknown person, a living person.

I...

I donโ€™t have the capabilities to shape my mind as I wish

Iโ€™m bound to certain rules and regulations.

If only I could set my unshed tears free to dismiss the nagging twinge.

If only I hadnโ€™t insisted she free me from my owners control.

If only we hadnโ€™t even met, maybe sheโ€™d be in her parents arms, embracing the scorching fireplace and sipping at hot cocoa through a ceramic mug while staring at the starry sky filled with possibilities.

Harmony:

โ€œCan I ask you a huge favor?โ€

Morning arrives as a mother's gentle hand, alluring the dreams of night to enhance the day further. Saturday's feelings creeped up my shoulder as I threw the blanket away from my body to admire the anomalous eyes on Eve.

โ€œWhat can I do?โ€ I asked, my eyebrows knitted together as desperation leaked into her voice.

She shielded away from my question, โ€œMaybe I shouldnโ€™t.โ€

โ€œI'm all ears.โ€

She nodded, โ€œI havenโ€™t been feeling myself lately, I need the remote that controls me but Iโ€™m afraid itโ€™s a risky procedure to get it back.โ€

โ€œTell me,โ€ I insisted.

Eve D-C6 :

I watched the blood drain from her face as she tumbled to the ground in a pool of crimson. Her eyes mundane and tedious, as fear crawled over her face.

I watched her suffer for my sake.

How could he, the person who created me be so ruthless, so merciless.

I knew I shouldnโ€™t have mentioned this.

If only Iโ€™d known the consequence beforehand.

ย Harmony:

We slipped past the jagged gate unsuspecting, prowling through on all fours to seek a way inside the manor.

I steady, strong grip sent me shivering as I looked up to face a muscular man, his stony eyes implying he wasnโ€™t ready to hear my side of the story.

I had nothing else to do but scream.

Eve D-C6 :

I saved her.

I had done it.

Pulling her frame wasnโ€™t easy, it wasnโ€™t indicated into my coding but I managed to override it for once.

There she laid in the hospital bed surrounded by nurses giving me grimacing looks and the crestfallen faces of her parents. Her brother slept on one of the couches provided, he smiled politely at me sometimes but I could see the tear threatening to fall down his chubby cheeks.

I had to do something, anything to save her. She deserved to live more than anyone else.

ย Harmony:

My eyes stirred open, I cried out in glee as I was embraced by my brother. My parents shed tears of joy, we were all together again, mixed with buoyant laughter.

Bandages littered my legs, a towel soaked in blood kept on a table against the bed. People wished me for a good recovery, some even brought lilacs; my favorite flower.

Yetโ€ฆ I felt like someone was missing.

I just couldnโ€™t remember their name, only those particular eyes that cared for me even when they neednโ€™t have to.

Across the window, the sunset is merely a prelude to the dawn, yet its majesty fills my mind with the most beautiful of dreams. As my eyes drift to rest I am one with the stars, my skin cooled by the breeze, and when I awake the sky will be radiant with the first kiss of the new day.

I yearned to stretch my legs and venture outside, something or someone was waiting for me.

And I was bound to find them...

February 23, 2021 14:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

306 comments

Kate Reynolds
14:58 Feb 23, 2021

Oh. My. God. This story was so freaking goodddddddd WOWWWWW. I LOVED IT SOOOOO MUCHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! And that title, *chief's kiss* I literally can't obsess enough about how much I love that titleeeeee AND THE ENDING AS WELLLLLLLL This was SO well written!!! Like all the details, and OMGGGG XD I think this is my favorite story from you!

Reply

AWW Thank you Kate!!!!!!! This means so much coming from u! Aww, yeah I didn't have a clue, came up with it at 6 in the morning LOL Yay. I'm glad its ur favorite!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
15:10 Feb 23, 2021

Ofcccc!!!!!!!! Awww that's so sweetttttt XDDD yep! 6 in the morning is the best time to come up with great titles... or 11 at night It's reallyyyyyy goodddddddddddddddd

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
08:21 Oct 02, 2021

The post is out guys! I canโ€™t believe it the number of views it has gotten! Please do check it out! I am really happy with the response and would love it if you guys too check the post out!!! ~ Dhwani Jain {02-10-2021}

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Akshaya โœจ
16:35 Mar 20, 2021

Look at my points ๐Ÿ˜ข

Reply

Woah, i can't believe this... i'll try to upvote u a little, u don't deserve this.

Reply

Akshaya โœจ
06:53 Mar 21, 2021

Thank you so much! <3 Since you got downvoted as well, I'll help you too

Reply

Of course!!! <333 Aww, thank you! I don't care about points anymore tho. They don't signify us for who we are.

Reply

Akshaya โœจ
17:19 Mar 21, 2021

<33 I try not to either, but 1900 to 700 is a huge pitfall XD Points are just secondary, yes! :))

Reply

Yeah, thats true... i feel like a lot of people downvoted u... its not fair to u tho.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya โœจ
12:42 Mar 21, 2021

Oh my God I got you to 1700 but they downvoted you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
08:21 Oct 02, 2021

The post is out guys! I canโ€™t believe it the number of views it has gotten! Please do check it out! I am really happy with the response and would love it if you guys too check the post out!!! ~ Dhwani Jain {02-10-2021}

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Meera Lakshmi
13:19 Feb 24, 2021

O. M. WOWZERS! The detail you put into this, it was wonderful! I love how you switched perspectives, and I love the names. Great use of the prompt. I look forward to your future submissions!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
17:59 Feb 24, 2021

TY :)

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
19:20 Feb 24, 2021

:)

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
15:19 Feb 27, 2021

I submitted a story yesterday under the app prompt if you want to take a look :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Valerie June
18:22 May 14, 2021

Varsha, this was amazing! I'm so sorry that I couldn't read it sooner. It completely slipped my mind. Anyway, I don't really know what to say except that this story was amazingggggg. The descriptions were spot on and the title was perfect! I know so many people have already said this, but it's so true. :)

Reply

Hey Jose! Aww, thank you so much, and its ok :) I'm really glad it wasn't a total flop off Lol :D Aww, yea but it feels good to know u like it too!

Reply

Valerie June
23:10 May 14, 2021

Sometimes, you just need to have more confidence in work! Easier said than done, I know. XD This is kinda random but do you think I could join the Scribbls doc? I've heard a lot about it, but I've never seen it for myself. :D

Reply

Yea, i agree. XD! Sure! I havn't been on very much, but you should go check it out!

Reply

Valerie June
23:37 May 14, 2021

Okay. I can't wait to check it out soon! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya โœจ
16:09 Mar 24, 2021

Hi Varsha! I submitted my story, do let me know what you think of it!! :) (p.s. I hope you like it; it's a mix of fantasy and suspense!)

Reply

Show 1 reply
AntMan ๐Ÿœ
13:35 Mar 23, 2021

Great story! I could literally FEEL the emotion! ๐Ÿคฉ It just radiated out of your story! Also, I loved the Aru Shah series! ๐Ÿช (I still haven't read the last book though ๐Ÿ˜ฅ)

Reply

Aww thank you so much!!! SAMEEEE! Glad someone has good taste:) Are u talking about the new one? I havn't read it either.

Reply

AntMan ๐Ÿœ
13:50 Mar 23, 2021

No problem! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿค— Yeah, the new one I think was supposed to come out last year, but the others were great! They also were funny at some points ๐Ÿ˜… Especially when they called Aiden, "Wifey" ๐Ÿ˜‚ I can't wait to read the newest one though ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Reply

:))) Yea, maybe it will come this year(fingers crossed) IKKKK!!!! LOL yup, that was super funny!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ do u know why they called him that?! SAMMEEEE! we can even read together and talk about it!

Reply

AntMan ๐Ÿœ
13:58 Mar 23, 2021

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿค“๐Ÿค“๐Ÿค“๐Ÿค“OMB Yes! Me toooooo! they called him wifey because he was their wife in past lives, and I thought that was kinda cool ๐Ÿค“ I would TOTALLY read it with you! ๐Ÿค“๐Ÿค“๐Ÿค“

Reply

:DDD ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Nice!!! U got it, i see u know ur facts!!! Do u know the wifes name? tricky ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ YAY!!! We're officially reading buddiessss!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
15:40 Mar 17, 2021

heyyy varshaaaa i feel like i haven't spoken to you in forever! how are yoU?? any new story ideas? happy st. paddy's dayyyy :) n

Reply

Hey Nainika!!!!!!! IK!!! It has been a while, its just schools so hectic so I haven't had much time. I'm doing good:) How are u? Hmm, not in reedsy so far, im working on another story. u? HAPPY ST.PATRICKS DAYYYYY!!! as well:)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:18 Mar 17, 2021

Loll good to hear and I can relate loll Yay! Good to hear Loll I have a lot of stories out that you prolly havenโ€™t seen yet... if you wouldnโ€™t mind checking them out??!! ๐Ÿ€

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:57 Mar 16, 2021

April tenth!

Reply

11:28 Mar 17, 2021

You said when's your birthday, and that's when.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya โœจ
03:11 Mar 16, 2021

โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Show 1 reply

VARSHAAAA I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE FORM YOU FILLED OUT Would you like to... 1. Stay as arctic fox or 2. Become an arctic wolf and be siblings with the other two wolves, Luke and Treasure

Reply

Awesome! Your main back story will be that Luke and Treasure is your sister and brother, Luke being the oldest, you being the youngest, but Treasure is on the Predator's side since she didn't like y'all much and I BETTER STOP B4 I GIVE THE AWESOME SPOILER lol XDDDDDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey just wanted to let you know that we are at the max for wolf characters! :) If you would like snow powers still, we have arctic fox, polar bear, snowy owl, etc. Please let me know which one you would prefer! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
15:34 Mar 08, 2021

WOW The imagery and the language in this story is phenomenal. I loved how the relationship progressed. The title fit the story so well Hope you will check out some of my stories I hope that we can be friends :)) ~Palak Shah

Reply

Thank you so much! Of course we can be friends!!! :) Sure, I'll check out ur story! <33

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I loved this, Varsha! The imagery and figurative language you use to describe the setting and characters are vivid and absolutely beautiful. Your word choice is also very creative, so much so that the story had an almost poetic feel. You did a spectacular job of showing Harmony and Eve's (pretty names by the way) relationship progress. This was touching, and I think the flip between the two perspectives was a good choice. If you want feedback, if you don't feel free to ignore this, my only suggestion would be to break up/ shorten some of th...

Reply

Hi! Thank you a bunch! ur words mean a lot!!! I'm glad u liked it :) <33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna May
13:31 Mar 02, 2021

The story was beautiful. I loved the title, it fit the story sooo well! ๐Ÿช

Reply

Anna May
16:13 Mar 02, 2021

Yeah, I am!

Reply

Anna May
18:08 Mar 02, 2021

Thanks. I feel really welcome. Everyone here is so nice! :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
21:00 Mar 01, 2021

Hai Varsha!!! Okay first of all, IT'S BEEN WAYYYY TOO LONG GIRL Alsoooo, could you check out a friend of mine that just joined Reedsy?? Profile link: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/anna-may/

Reply

Hiiii Kate! IK right, been hectic lately but how are u? SURE! a friend of urs is a friend of mine! :DD

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:06 Mar 01, 2021

YEAH!!! It really has beennnnnnn I've been good, wbu??? :DDD THANKS!!!

Reply

:DD, thats good! I'm doing good too! Working on my novel, and school. Finally I'm almost done with the first chapter. I'll let u know when I do!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:10 Mar 01, 2021

OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!! That's goooddddd Alright, I'll be waitingggggg

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.