Contest #136 winner 🏆

243 comments

Romance Sad Funny

This story contains sensitive content

I remember our first cigarettes together were Rothmans, middle tar, with a filter, of course. It was ten o’clock on a Saturday night and we were attending a local church’s youth club disco. I recall that she’d gone outside for a breath of air.

God, I could do with a gasper, she’d said, avoiding my gaze, as if we were on stage and I’d forgotten my lines while searching for a prop. 

I groped around inside my jacket for my pack of Rothmans. My awkward fumbling attracted her attention, and she smiled as I raised my head. She moved closer and caught my eye as I flipped the lid to reveal a double row of cigarettes, lined up like coffin nails wrapped in silver paper. 

Do you have the convenience of a light? She’d asked, helping herself.

No, I don’t, I said, clenching a cigarette between my lips, and turning my pockets inside out to show my lack of a handy incendiary.

Typical, she said, rolling her eyes and leaning towards me.

My jaw all but fell open as she raised her slender hand toward my face.

Never mind, she said, I’ll improvise. Her out-stretched thumb and forefinger plucked the smouldering cigarette from my dry lips. The manoeuvre was gentle but precise and practiced, as if she was removing a milk tooth from under a sleeping infant’s pillow. Her studied gesture was one of ritual, full of expectation, belief and mystery. She was both a nocturnal light-fingered fairy with a delicate touch, and a kind spirit exchanging a child’s fang for a silver sixpence. My cigarette, now resting between my lips again, took on an unearthly quality, blessed by her soft caress. I watched her drawing the smoke into her lungs. The world stopped spinning, and I felt dizzy, waiting for her to exhale. 

I needed that; she said, allowing the white plume to drift over her shoulder. 

I’m Virginia, by the way.

I returned her smile as my face blanched, the smoke having gone down the wrong way.

Don’t forget to breathe out, she said, grinning, or you’ll die coughing. 

At that moment, I was hooked.

#

I’ve given up smoking a thousand times; it’s easy. No, really, it is, I promise. It’s a question of perseverance; I don’t mind and they don’t matter. That’s what they say, isn’t it? In the past, I stopped smoking for days, and often as long as a week. When we were young, there was no reason to cease. Besides, after years of dedication, it was easier to continue than to quit.

#

When Virginia died, I was bereft. She made me promise to quit when I was by her bedside. I visited her in hospital and she had tubes everywhere and an oxygen mask, which she removed from time to time to have a quick puff. She’d insist on me pushing her wheelchair outside for a breath of fresh air. Once we were away from the matron’s watchful glare, she’d rifle through my pockets, spark up and have a good wheeze and cough. Virginia smoked until the last few hours of her life. She was ever faithful to the pleasure that killed her. We’d had fifty years of marriage, golden years and many, many happy times and no regrets.

#

I’d never smoked much before I met Virginia; well not every day, anyway. All my pals smoked, and I’d tried it with little success. They told me it was what adults did and I ought to try harder. I persevered until I reckoned I’d got the hang of it. 

#

‘Gaspers’, she used to call them. Can I nick a gasper? she’d ask, when we got to know one another. She smoked Benson and Hedges and I soon changed my allegiance. It was easier if we both smoked the same brand.

#

The night we met, I’d marched into a local tobacconist clutching the correct money in coins and asked for a pack of twenty. It was my first packet of twenty and I only bought them to feel grown up. I didn’t even have money for a lighter. I had to ask someone for a match to light the one I was holding when she spoke to me. Virginia had caught my eye about town and I’d seen her smoking. I thought I could impress her if I smoked too. If she encouraged me to smoke in the first place, it seemed fitting that she should ask me to stop after her departure.

#

While sharing a cigarette, we fixed all our problems together. Whatever came our way, we would fight it until the end. We were invincible as a couple and inseparable too; a match made in heaven. Virginia and I laughed our way through life’s troubles. We never argued until we tried to give up smoking at the same time. I’d had a health scare, and she suggested packing it in. Going cold turkey together is awful, and we almost ended our relationship in divorce. After a week, I’d had enough of a respite and started smoking again. I was soon on top form and felt fit again. The breather restored my health, and we returned to our old ways soon after. 

#

But what about the expense, I hear you say? It’s funny how you can always find money for cigarettes when you’re a smoker. It doesn’t matter how tough things are, you can buy another pack. My Uncle Jim was a big smoker in the nineteen-seventies. He enjoyed anywhere between thirty to forty cigarettes every day. It was an era when smoking was encouraged and tobacco companies offered many incentives. They gave tokens away with every packet. The idea was to collect them and choose gifts in exchange. Uncle Jim collected seven thousand cigarette tokens of various denominations, hoping to claim a new car. He counted them out, gathered them up in a dozen boxes, and sent them off. It’s funny, but he heard nothing back from the cigarette company. When he called them, they said the tokens must have got lost in the post. Uncle Jim couldn’t believe it. According to my aunt, he hurled the telephone through their enormous picture window. The loss didn’t deter Uncle Jim, however, and he continued to smoke an alternative brand of tobacco. 

I overheard my family discussing the issue, and they asked the inevitable question regarding his expenditure. What would Uncle Jim do with the money if he had it all again? Uncle Jim just shrugged and said, if he had all the money he’d spent on cigarettes, he’d spend it all on cigarettes. 

It made little sense to me as a youngster and the waste horrified me. Now, I’m not so sure. He enjoyed a cigarette and I can understand that up to a point. He didn’t die of cigarettes and he had a happy life. As a social shorthand, it’s great for making friends. Can I pinch a ciggy? Would you like one of mine? Have you got a light? Inevitably, such questions lead to longer conversations at work or at a party. I’ve made many friends and acquaintances in that way.

#

When Virginia got ill and had to rest in the hospital, I rationed myself to fourteen cigarettes a week. Two every day; one in the morning and the other in the evening. Some days I’d get to half past ten, and I’d allow myself the second cigarette. Then, by lunchtime, I’d struggle not to have a third. Most days I’d finish ten cigarettes by mid-afternoon and pretend I’d done well. After all, I could have smoked a pack of twenty with ease. In the evening, I’d buy more for the next day and smoke them by the end of the night.

#

During my last visit to the hospital, Virginia asked me in a whisper if I had a light.

I’m sorry, love, I said, biting my lip as my eyes burned with salty tears. 

I haven’t got a light; I said. Didn’t you know I’ve given up?

Typical, she said, her voice rasping behind the oxygen mask. I’ll have to improvise.

#

Almost a year has passed since she made me promise to stop with her last gasp.

I’ve kept my promise for eleven months, three weeks and four and a half days. 

Just thinking about our life together makes me miss her so much.

It’s difficult to forego the two most precious things in one’s life.

Losing them both at the same time is heart breaking.

Virginia and cigarettes go together.

In my mind, I can’t separate them.

God, I could do with one now.


The End



March 12, 2022 04:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

243 comments

Chloe Longstreet
09:55 Mar 18, 2022

Wow. Great story. Addiction to tobacco is a struggle and so many lose their lives from it. And yet, many begin just like that, with friends convincing us it's the thing to do and the hopes to catch the eye of a hot girl or guy.

Reply

Howard Halsall
10:04 Mar 18, 2022

Hello Chloe, Thanks for reading my story, I’m relieved it made sense and rang true for you. I guess, revealing a universal truth and creating characters everyone can relate to is my aspiration, so if I get anywhere close to that ideal, it’s the most I can hope for. Keep writing and take care. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felice Noelle
23:18 Mar 15, 2022

Howard: I read this amazing story and found it relatable even though I've never been a smoker. You have a specific voice in this piece, one that I love. I'll be sure to read more after I edit my latest. I am desperate for some critical feedback. I am new to the writing and hoping to learn for the fantastic writers on Reedsy. I'll be back to catch up on your latest. Maureen

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:41 Mar 15, 2022

Hello Maureen (or is it Felice?), Thank you for reading my latest story, I’m glad you enjoyed it, even if you’re not a smoker. I had hoped that the theme is universal and so I’m relieved that it made sense and engaged your interest. From my point of view, I’ve lost several close friends due to smoking related illnesses and so it was a cathartic exercise in many ways. I’ll take a look at your current submission and offer my thoughts, if that helps. Keep writing and enjoy. HH

Reply

Felice Noelle
00:38 Mar 16, 2022

Sorry about the name mixup. My granddaughter looked up my last name in the original German Nothdurft and said I needed to dump it because it means poverty-stricken person. Yikes, that's not good. So I allowed her to pick me a non de plume as she called it. Felice for happy, Felicia is my grandmother. Noelle just because she liked it. I agreed to try it out for awhile..just to make her happy. Maureen

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:58 Mar 16, 2022

Hello Maureen, Now you’ve explained its origins, I reckon that ‘Felice Noelle’ has a bright and optimistic ring to it. I find it has a certain festive connection and conjures up images of winter celebrations; but what do I know? Thanks for sharing and please ignore my nonsense :) HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Carla Ward
04:51 Mar 21, 2022

Beautiful story. It reminded me of my father, dead at 59 because he simply could not stop smoking. I remember at age 16 being present at a meeting with his cardiologist who bluntly warned him that he could not light another cigarette because his heart was so delicate it could kill him. He went home and lit up to ponder the good doctor's warning. He passed away suddenly when I was 17, the smell of tobacco still on his clothes. Your tale is well done.

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:40 Mar 21, 2022

Hello Carla, Thank you for reading my submission and sharing your story. I imagine it must be difficult to be reminded of your father’s death and put it in writing. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Layla Robinson
22:02 Mar 23, 2022

I loved this story. I've been quit for over a year now (this time), and intend to keep it that way. It's the end that resonates for me. "God, I could do with one now." Because when I'm feeling down and out it's the first thing that I want. Congrats on the win!

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:51 Mar 23, 2022

Hello Layla, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your encouraging response. I’m pleased that the ending worked for you and I wish you luck in your fight to stay off the cigarettes. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:40 Mar 20, 2022

Just like any other bad habit, it's hard to change one's lifestyle into the other. But everyone will just be ending, everything has its hope to.

Reply

Howard Halsall
16:19 Mar 20, 2022

Wise words, Alicia, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Steven Rensch
04:52 Mar 20, 2022

You got me.

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:18 Mar 20, 2022

Thanks Steven, Take care :) HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.B. Oates
01:36 Mar 20, 2022

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. -Paul Also, in my opinion, God is in charge and he is good. Tie me to the mast to keep me from a cigarette! Both my parents smoked and tried to quit throughout my childhood. Cigarettes should have never been invented.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:53 Mar 20, 2022

Hello C.B., In response, they are both a blessing and a curse; Heaven and Hell in equal measure and a battle eternal it seems. It makes one wonder why governments don’t ban cigarettes, given what they know about the damaging effects, but we all know why they don’t, don’t we? And like the A-Bomb, we can neither pretend they don’t exist nor uninvent them. So we’re stuck with them now. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Take care HH

Reply

C.B. Oates
01:58 Mar 20, 2022

From what I've read Einstein regretted his part in the atomic bomb. All I can say is God is good despite all of this. It's quite confusing. People enjoy things that are good and bad, but the bad stuff is what damages us. Very complicated, so I'll keep on looking upward and outwards. And, maybe smoke an occasional cigarette!

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:12 Mar 20, 2022

I understand that Einstein didn’t believe the bomb was possible from his calculations; shame he wasn’t right...

Reply

C.B. Oates
02:23 Mar 20, 2022

No one can predict the future. Sounds plain but all we can do is hope to do good. I read something about Einstein warning the US government about the potential for German atomic bomb information because I'm sure he realized he inadvertently gave it to them. Very complicated.

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:29 Mar 20, 2022

For a man with a reputation for asking the simplest of questions, he was a complicated fellow, for sure...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
C.B. Oates
02:07 Mar 20, 2022

Thank you for reading Art is Hard. I'm still editing until the real deadline. It's secretly Hitler vs Einstein and good vs bad. I'm putting together chapters for a children's book.

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:11 Mar 20, 2022

Your children’s book sounds intriguing. I’d be interested in reading it when you’re finished. HH

Reply

C.B. Oates
02:50 Mar 20, 2022

Thank you! My husband Mike and I are teachers so we have the inside scoop. Keep on seeking and thinking! God is good! Your story was very poetic and powerful. Keep doing your good work and keep looking up always.

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:10 Mar 20, 2022

Thank you both, I’ll carry on carrying on... HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Peter Wyatt
17:20 May 17, 2023

What a poignant story about love and loss, with cigarette smoking being the rubber band holding it together. In my earlier days, when I was more a night prowler, I was very much like the character you describe. Cigarette smoking was the ultimate ice breaker for meeting new people. I think that ultimately is what drew me to it. And when your lover, your partner for life, insists smoking til she drops -- well, you're kind in for the ride yourself. I suppose there's couples where only one smokes. But I don't know of any. This story struck a cor...

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:24 May 17, 2023

Hey Peter, Thank you for reading my story, sharing your thoughts and leaving such positive feedback; it’s much appreciated. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
18:21 Dec 02, 2022

The bonding that occurs over a shared cigarette cannot be denied no matter what you think about the habit. My father claims he romanced my mother in post-war France by getting cigarettes for her on the black market. My mother claims that this is not true and that she has never smoked. I believe my mother because everyone knows that my father would never let facts get in the way of a good story. While looking through some photos not too long ago, I came across an old black and white one where my Mom was wearing plaid shorts and a white bl...

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:01 Dec 05, 2022

Hello Wally, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m always intrigued to receive reactions and comments and I enjoyed reading about your parents and the old photos. It was a fascinating insight and a wonderful collision of memories encapsulated in a deceptively simple anecdote. In retrospect, I think you’ve just outlined the start of a longer story or the opening paragraph of a family history. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Geno Woolard
20:53 Jul 05, 2022

I'M 86 & THIS MAKES ME THINK OF MY YOUTH

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:05 Jul 05, 2022

Hello Geno, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive response. I hope it brought back happy memories for you. What came to your mind as you read the piece? Please feel free to share your thoughts. I’d be intrigued to discover what you recalled from your youth. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
William Duke
20:25 Dec 07, 2023

Great characters, the guy, Virginia, and cigarettes.

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:59 Dec 07, 2023

Hey William, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts and positivity. Take care. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fox Ferguson
10:44 Nov 29, 2023

Fantastic. Sweeping in its reach, yet rich in specificity. The ending is brilliant. I wonder if you've come across 'The Cigarette Duet' by Princess Chelsea?!

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:36 Nov 29, 2023

Hi Fox, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your comments. I’m glad you enjoyed it pleased to note your suggestion; I’ll certainly check out ‘The Cigarette Duet.’ Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Downs
20:13 Nov 24, 2023

This was really good. I came over to read your work. Thanks for the like on my first story in Reedsy. I know I have a long way to go in my writing and this is my first time really reading the online work. I downloaded the Prompted mag and the stories in it are wonderful. So, I'm reading the prompted winning stories. Wow 97 submissions... :)

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:27 Nov 25, 2023

Hey Susan, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they're much appreciated. Have a great weekend HH 98 now.... BTW :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Audrey Knox
22:44 Sep 06, 2023

As a former smoker and cigarette addict, I think what this story did so powerfully is convey that nicotine isn't just a chemical addiction. Sometimes it can really feel like cigarettes are a lover that you have and a deep romantic friendship. Quitting can feel like a breakup, and the loss of a smoking habit can feel as painful as the loss of a loved one. Hard to explain to non-smokers because it sounds so pathetic to say out loud, but captured in your story, your romance, and even the title that sums it all up.

Reply

Howard Halsall
12:13 Sep 07, 2023

Hey Audrey, I’m pleased you enjoyed this story and relieved that it rang true. I guess it’s more of a cultural observation as much as a romance and a comment about the nature of dependency. I’ve got to admit I had a lot of fun writing this story and it all came together very quickly. It’s one of the few submissions I had little opportunity to edit, so in my mind it’s quite raw. Maybe its impact is enhanced for that immediacy and more heartfelt. It’s easy to lose those qualities when one has time to tinker. On the other hand….. :)

Reply

Audrey Knox
22:03 Sep 09, 2023

haha yeah, I am new to short story writing as a medium, so I am trying to find a process that works for me. I am not used to going into a story without thorough planning, but I think that can be detrimental to the final product, so for next week's submission I am trying to write something more intuitively and not edit it so much, like it seems you did here! I love the quick timeline of these contests that don't allow us too much time to tinker and edit.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:26 Sep 09, 2023

I find writing shorts, under the quick deadline, is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way…. with some luck. I look forward to your next submission :)

Reply

Audrey Knox
00:05 Sep 10, 2023

Thanks! I am trying to keep submitting every week as putting one foot in front of the other, as that's really the only way to pursue a writing practice in general without getting overwhelmed.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:32 Sep 10, 2023

Very true. It’s easy to get overwhelmed, but nothing ventured is nothing gained…. One has to believe it’s going to work and learn from any mistakes…..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shahzad Ahmad
12:23 Aug 07, 2023

Howard you have written a great story in which cigarettes connote a wealth of emotions. The dialogues are a poignant and engaging. All shades of emotions are captured. Superb narrative and a great win!

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:58 Aug 09, 2023

Hey Shahzad, I appreciate your thoughts and glad you enjoyed my story. Thank you. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shannon C.
00:10 Jun 27, 2023

This was a heartbreakingly beautiful read.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:41 Jun 27, 2023

Hey Shannon, Thank you for reading my story and taking the time to share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
18:49 Jun 26, 2023

That's lovely. It almost made me cry. I can see why this s was a winner. I'm not a smoker but the love your two characters had for each other felt real and complete. Thank you for reading my entry and following me: what an honor from a winner!

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:43 Jun 27, 2023

Hey LH, Thank you for reading my story and taking the time to share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I hope you weren’t too upset by the content…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:55 Mar 06, 2023

Touching. Congrats on the win. Well deserved.

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:25 Mar 06, 2023

Hey Mary, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback; it’s much appreciated :) Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
14:03 Dec 29, 2022

Another lovely story. Well done Howard.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:09 Dec 30, 2022

Thanks Stevie, All the best for the new year. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
17:49 Aug 11, 2022

Hi Howard, meeting the girl of his dreams and wanting to impress her. because she smokes and he did his homework (seeing her uptown smoking). Very impressive and clever. Just like what you would expect of youth. Too bad it turned out that she died from what brought them together and that that is what killed her. Great read. Thank you, LF6

Reply

Howard Halsall
20:47 Aug 11, 2022

Hi Lily, Thank you for reading my story. I’m glad you enjoyed it and appreciate your succinct feedback. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.