Contest #136 winner 🏆

243 comments

Romance Sad Funny

This story contains sensitive content

I remember our first cigarettes together were Rothmans, middle tar, with a filter, of course. It was ten o’clock on a Saturday night and we were attending a local church’s youth club disco. I recall that she’d gone outside for a breath of air.

God, I could do with a gasper, she’d said, avoiding my gaze, as if we were on stage and I’d forgotten my lines while searching for a prop. 

I groped around inside my jacket for my pack of Rothmans. My awkward fumbling attracted her attention, and she smiled as I raised my head. She moved closer and caught my eye as I flipped the lid to reveal a double row of cigarettes, lined up like coffin nails wrapped in silver paper. 

Do you have the convenience of a light? She’d asked, helping herself.

No, I don’t, I said, clenching a cigarette between my lips, and turning my pockets inside out to show my lack of a handy incendiary.

Typical, she said, rolling her eyes and leaning towards me.

My jaw all but fell open as she raised her slender hand toward my face.

Never mind, she said, I’ll improvise. Her out-stretched thumb and forefinger plucked the smouldering cigarette from my dry lips. The manoeuvre was gentle but precise and practiced, as if she was removing a milk tooth from under a sleeping infant’s pillow. Her studied gesture was one of ritual, full of expectation, belief and mystery. She was both a nocturnal light-fingered fairy with a delicate touch, and a kind spirit exchanging a child’s fang for a silver sixpence. My cigarette, now resting between my lips again, took on an unearthly quality, blessed by her soft caress. I watched her drawing the smoke into her lungs. The world stopped spinning, and I felt dizzy, waiting for her to exhale. 

I needed that; she said, allowing the white plume to drift over her shoulder. 

I’m Virginia, by the way.

I returned her smile as my face blanched, the smoke having gone down the wrong way.

Don’t forget to breathe out, she said, grinning, or you’ll die coughing. 

At that moment, I was hooked.

#

I’ve given up smoking a thousand times; it’s easy. No, really, it is, I promise. It’s a question of perseverance; I don’t mind and they don’t matter. That’s what they say, isn’t it? In the past, I stopped smoking for days, and often as long as a week. When we were young, there was no reason to cease. Besides, after years of dedication, it was easier to continue than to quit.

#

When Virginia died, I was bereft. She made me promise to quit when I was by her bedside. I visited her in hospital and she had tubes everywhere and an oxygen mask, which she removed from time to time to have a quick puff. She’d insist on me pushing her wheelchair outside for a breath of fresh air. Once we were away from the matron’s watchful glare, she’d rifle through my pockets, spark up and have a good wheeze and cough. Virginia smoked until the last few hours of her life. She was ever faithful to the pleasure that killed her. We’d had fifty years of marriage, golden years and many, many happy times and no regrets.

#

I’d never smoked much before I met Virginia; well not every day, anyway. All my pals smoked, and I’d tried it with little success. They told me it was what adults did and I ought to try harder. I persevered until I reckoned I’d got the hang of it. 

#

‘Gaspers’, she used to call them. Can I nick a gasper? she’d ask, when we got to know one another. She smoked Benson and Hedges and I soon changed my allegiance. It was easier if we both smoked the same brand.

#

The night we met, I’d marched into a local tobacconist clutching the correct money in coins and asked for a pack of twenty. It was my first packet of twenty and I only bought them to feel grown up. I didn’t even have money for a lighter. I had to ask someone for a match to light the one I was holding when she spoke to me. Virginia had caught my eye about town and I’d seen her smoking. I thought I could impress her if I smoked too. If she encouraged me to smoke in the first place, it seemed fitting that she should ask me to stop after her departure.

#

While sharing a cigarette, we fixed all our problems together. Whatever came our way, we would fight it until the end. We were invincible as a couple and inseparable too; a match made in heaven. Virginia and I laughed our way through life’s troubles. We never argued until we tried to give up smoking at the same time. I’d had a health scare, and she suggested packing it in. Going cold turkey together is awful, and we almost ended our relationship in divorce. After a week, I’d had enough of a respite and started smoking again. I was soon on top form and felt fit again. The breather restored my health, and we returned to our old ways soon after. 

#

But what about the expense, I hear you say? It’s funny how you can always find money for cigarettes when you’re a smoker. It doesn’t matter how tough things are, you can buy another pack. My Uncle Jim was a big smoker in the nineteen-seventies. He enjoyed anywhere between thirty to forty cigarettes every day. It was an era when smoking was encouraged and tobacco companies offered many incentives. They gave tokens away with every packet. The idea was to collect them and choose gifts in exchange. Uncle Jim collected seven thousand cigarette tokens of various denominations, hoping to claim a new car. He counted them out, gathered them up in a dozen boxes, and sent them off. It’s funny, but he heard nothing back from the cigarette company. When he called them, they said the tokens must have got lost in the post. Uncle Jim couldn’t believe it. According to my aunt, he hurled the telephone through their enormous picture window. The loss didn’t deter Uncle Jim, however, and he continued to smoke an alternative brand of tobacco. 

I overheard my family discussing the issue, and they asked the inevitable question regarding his expenditure. What would Uncle Jim do with the money if he had it all again? Uncle Jim just shrugged and said, if he had all the money he’d spent on cigarettes, he’d spend it all on cigarettes. 

It made little sense to me as a youngster and the waste horrified me. Now, I’m not so sure. He enjoyed a cigarette and I can understand that up to a point. He didn’t die of cigarettes and he had a happy life. As a social shorthand, it’s great for making friends. Can I pinch a ciggy? Would you like one of mine? Have you got a light? Inevitably, such questions lead to longer conversations at work or at a party. I’ve made many friends and acquaintances in that way.

#

When Virginia got ill and had to rest in the hospital, I rationed myself to fourteen cigarettes a week. Two every day; one in the morning and the other in the evening. Some days I’d get to half past ten, and I’d allow myself the second cigarette. Then, by lunchtime, I’d struggle not to have a third. Most days I’d finish ten cigarettes by mid-afternoon and pretend I’d done well. After all, I could have smoked a pack of twenty with ease. In the evening, I’d buy more for the next day and smoke them by the end of the night.

#

During my last visit to the hospital, Virginia asked me in a whisper if I had a light.

I’m sorry, love, I said, biting my lip as my eyes burned with salty tears. 

I haven’t got a light; I said. Didn’t you know I’ve given up?

Typical, she said, her voice rasping behind the oxygen mask. I’ll have to improvise.

#

Almost a year has passed since she made me promise to stop with her last gasp.

I’ve kept my promise for eleven months, three weeks and four and a half days. 

Just thinking about our life together makes me miss her so much.

It’s difficult to forego the two most precious things in one’s life.

Losing them both at the same time is heart breaking.

Virginia and cigarettes go together.

In my mind, I can’t separate them.

God, I could do with one now.


The End



March 12, 2022 04:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

243 comments

SUNA BARNARD
23:11 Jul 11, 2022

great story. I am not a smoker, but tonight before your story I actually thought about smoking. I wished the story was longer, but then again The length and everything was just perfect.

Reply

Howard Halsall
11:05 Jul 12, 2022

Hello Suns, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I hope you stay away from the smokes. In retrospect, cigarettes spell out trouble in daily instalments…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Autumn Coleman
12:20 Jul 06, 2022

Hi I apologize for sending this here but I wasn't sure how else to reach out. This is a beautiful story. I agree with many others on here that although I'm not a smoker myself the story well depicts the struggles of quitting...well anything. It's got a wonderful sense of realism while also blending in light comedy and is easily relatable. If you don't mind I was wondering if I could purchase or include this story for/in a small game I'm making? Thank you for the wonderful read, I greatly enjoyed it and would love to share it with others.

Reply

Howard Halsall
11:07 Jul 07, 2022

Hello Autumn, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m interested in your idea, however I would love more information. Can you send me a link or explain your concept? I look forward to your reply, in the near future. Take care HH

Reply

Autumn Coleman
12:38 Jul 14, 2022

Sorry it's taken some time to get back to you. The idea for the video game is rather simple, and it's meant to be a relaxing time for people to just enjoy themselves at a campfire setting. Regarding the details of the story, you would be included in the credits - as the writer of the story. Relating to cost or payment, you're the first person I've asked in all honesty, and I've not written a proper contract before so I'd like to ask you what you would want to sell the story or use of the story for?

Reply

Howard Halsall
13:10 Jul 16, 2022

Hello Autumn, Please let me know when you have a contract and send a more detailed outline of your idea and intentions to: howardhalsall@mac.com Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Autumn Coleman
03:21 Jul 09, 2022

Sure! Thank you, if you don't mind could you contact me at AColeman0967@gmail so I can explain in better detail? If not that's fine and I'll do my best to explain it here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Esperanza Rivas
15:55 Jul 03, 2022

Such a beautiful story. Sad, but yet so graceful in the honesty of it. Really great job!

Reply

Howard Halsall
16:09 Jul 03, 2022

Hey Ezmari, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. Your positive response is much appreciated. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hope E
00:09 Jun 27, 2022

This story makes me cry…in a good way if that makes any sense

Reply

Howard Halsall
12:26 Jun 27, 2022

Thank you Hope… …. That makes perfect sense. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nancy Lyon
00:52 May 07, 2022

Nice story Howard this one hits home. I'm a ex smoker who used the patch. I really think it was stronger than my smoking intake. For all the reasons to start, what get me was learning by watching myself in the mirror 🪞. What a waist of time. I'm thankful and blessed to be here.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:12 May 07, 2022

Hello Nettie, Thank you for reading my story. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and glad it made an impact. Life is undoubtedly better without the smokes… Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ashley Bowie
12:42 May 04, 2022

I love that this story is not about cigarettes. It's about love and the things that make us feel special and whole. Some of those things are terrible for us. Such a subtle and sweet message. AND, I love the ending, beautifully said.

Reply

Howard Halsall
16:21 May 04, 2022

Hello Ashley, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. You’ve summed up the idea perfectly and I appreciate it. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paula Fernández
13:24 Apr 27, 2022

Dear author, For starters I wanna show my gratitude towards your short story, it was a great time and I appreciate it so much, but I have some questions about it. What is the main character´s name? What is the importance of addiction in the story? What is the relevance of Virginia´s death in the main character´s finale?

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:22 Apr 27, 2022

Hello Paula, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and glad it has provoked so many questions in your mind. I believe the answers to your questions will slowly reveal themselves and I hope the themes will linger for some time to come. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Doig
11:22 Apr 27, 2022

Such a happy love story, and love your writing style. Shocking how smoking used to be incentivized. Scandalous in fact. I remember the old Peter Stuyvesant ads… the best ads on the silver screen. Thank you for a sweet and happy story. I see it as happy rather than sad. Thank you for sharing x

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:09 Apr 27, 2022

Hello Andrea, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive comments. I agree with you, the money spent on cigarette advertising bordered on the obscene and it was promoted everywhere. How things have changed over the last two decades and yet it remains a powerful industry. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:32 Apr 20, 2022

A well-deserved win, Howard. Love the unique take on the prompt. Taking the idea of a habit (you have a hard time quitting) and turning into such a moving love story. Can't beat that, for sure. Loved especially these sentences: " ... I flipped the lid to reveal a double row of cigarettes, lined up like coffin nails wrapped in silver paper." (visual and suggestive). "The manouevre was gentle but precise and practiced, as if she was removing a milk tooth from a sleeping infant's pillow." "She was both a nocturnal light-fingered fairy with...

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:20 Apr 21, 2022

Hello Gabriela, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I appreciate the positive comments and useful feedback. I’ll take another look at the line reducing idea too. That was well spotted and a good point. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katie Bennett
15:01 Apr 15, 2022

What a beautiful story! It doesn’t sugarcoat the hard truths, but the love is palpable.

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:33 Apr 15, 2022

Hello Katie, Thank you for reading my little tale and sharing your thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed and relieved it rang true for you. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:40 Apr 13, 2022

As a non-English speaker, your story is a little bit hard to read as it contains a lot of complicated words, but it is still a fascinating story to read. I love the concept, the heading, how you describe the character's thoughts. Smoking has never been a good thing when it might kill you, but for some people, smoking is not just smoking, it's one's most precious thing in life. And yeah, I still can not understand all words in the story, but it quite fun to read something that's not like those "paragraphs" in English learning books.

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:04 Apr 13, 2022

Hello Tiến, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m glad you enjoyed it and hope the vocabulary I used didn’t diminish your pleasure. It sounds as though you understood most of the important points and enjoyed it nonetheless. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cordy Ranald
04:04 Apr 08, 2022

You know, I have one of those tracker apps that recently told me I'd saved scads of money while not smoking the 15,000 cigarettes I would have had I not quit--for at least the tenth time--a little over two years ago, and this story didn't make me crave one so much as it really took me back to those times when you had an excuse to strike up a conversation with any stranger anytime, anywhere. My own lineage is rife with smokers who died from smoking related illnesses at the ripe old ages of 80+ so I never really saw it as a deadly habit, but ...

Reply

Howard Halsall
04:26 Apr 08, 2022

Hello Cordy, Thank you for reading my story and taking the time to share your thoughts. I’m pleased it evoked both happy memories and a sense of nostalgia for simpler times. Your words add to the complexity of the subject and provide a wonderful perspective too. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:22 Apr 06, 2022

It is a very touching story because it is sad to see someone else sinking in an addiction and at the same time suffering from it, it helps a lot to reflect on the value of life and how we have to take care of our health. The narration was very good.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:00 Apr 06, 2022

Hello Jose, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughtful response; I’m pleased you enjoyed it and flattered by your kind words. You made a good point concerning our health and the value of life; I agree wholeheartedly with you. We ought to appreciate our lives and be beholden to look after ourselves and each other too. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Muñoz
17:03 Apr 06, 2022

It is a tragic and toxic love story, I find it simply dazzling. the fact that they both rely on cigarettes to get "well" is terrifying. Here you can see how the people who love you at the same time hurt you unconsciously. overall a great story.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:50 Apr 06, 2022

Hello Mike, Thank you for reading my submission and sharing your thoughtful response; I’m pleased you enjoyed it. Smoking is certainly an emotive subject and polarises opinion; I hope that comes across in the story. I guess it’s not often that people discuss both sides of this subject. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:02 Apr 06, 2022

I found really insteresting the narrative from the point of view of someone who smokes and is open to talk about how he really got into it, even when is a struggle it is true that its not that hard to quit, tho the sensation and like towards it remains with time for the majority. "It’s difficult to forego the two most precious things in one’s life.", that was a nice ending...

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:44 Apr 06, 2022

Hello Iliana, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughtful response; I’m pleased you enjoyed it. You made an interesting point; It’s true that the tales about how people picked up the nicotine habit aren’t often discussed. I believe that’s because society doesn’t like to admit there’s a certain acquired pleasure in smoking and a clandestine joy in the camaraderie it attracts. The world of cigarettes used to be obligatory and alluring, and its spirit still lurks at the back of every grocery store, petrol station or supermarket; ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:58 Apr 06, 2022

It was a great story, it is funny and scaring how an addiction can be. Even though she was sick she stills smoking. It's still terrifying how people manage to convince.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:12 Apr 06, 2022

Hello Abigail, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughtful response. Yes, I agree with you, it’s terrifying how people can be drawn into smoking, even when it’s difficult to get used to it and one’s body says, “no, don’t do it!” Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:20 Apr 05, 2022

Definitly the addiction to the tabbaco is something horrible, but the fact that it was twice as hard for him to let it go because of the memory of his lost, it's inspiring, showing us that in some point of your life, you'll be able to separate of the things that you struggle with.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:51 Apr 05, 2022

Hello Julio, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and found it inspiring. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Abi Reveco
18:17 Apr 05, 2022

Tragic story, I liked how he knew how to wrap love and sadness in the same story. I like the way it reminds of Virginia and what cigarettes represented in their relationship.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:49 Apr 05, 2022

Hello Abi, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback; it’s much appreciated. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:09 Apr 05, 2022

We think it was a very unique story, since nobody ever talks about how smoking can affect your life for better or for worse in your relationship, personal life, etc, and how can we relate with it, and we use the word unique because the fact that they meet because of their addiction and were marry for a long time, but at the end of the day despite the fact they love each other very much, the only thing they love the most was their addiction.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:47 Apr 05, 2022

Hello Annie, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I agree with your remarks. Despite all the information we have about tobacco and all the proof that shows it’s harmful, a lot of people still enjoy smoking. It’s more difficult to smoke in a social situation nowadays but that just makes it more alluring in many ways. This in turn adds to the difficulty when one tries to quit. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:09 Apr 05, 2022

We think it was a very unique story, since nobody ever talks about how smoking can affect your life for better or for worse in your relationship, personal life, etc, and how can we relate with it, and we use the word unique because the fact that they meet because of their addiction and were marry for a long time, but at the end of the day despite the fact they love each other very much, the only thing they love the most was their addiction.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:44 Apr 05, 2022

Hello Jessica, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I agree with your remarks. Despite all the information we have about tobacco and all the proof that shows it’s harmful, a lot of people still enjoy smoking. It’s more difficult to smoke in a social situation nowadays but that just makes it more alluring in many ways. This in turn adds to the difficulty when one tries to quit. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.