9 comments

Adventure Fantasy Mystery

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. I snuck into my house, then went straight to my bedroom, thankful that nobody had paid me much attention. From the window, I watched the gathering of firewood in the courtyard. I pretended not to hear the enthusiastic shouting.


A whole different side of my people had revealed itself, the moment those flames began to burn. Embers drifted along through the air. There had been a slight panic when a couple of the planted trees flared up.


Turning away, I began to pack a small bag of essentials. I also put on a flexible chest plate and attached a few weapons to a belt around my waist. This would help with my disguise; prisoners were stripped of all their armor and weaponry.


I retied my hair, wrapped a scarf around the lower part of my face and pulled my hood back up again. Before leaving, I crossed a hall and made my way to my mother and Robyn’s room. From under a loose floorboard, I retrieved a journal. Flipping through its’ pages, I stopped at a drawing.


So, this was my real father. Christian Magnus. If he were still alive out there somewhere, I would find him. For a moment, I wished my mother were here with me, instead of waiting to be executed. But the feeling passed. If I could only get to the front gate entrance without being spotted, then I will stand a fairly good chance of surviving.


*********


My name is Miranda Rodriguez. I come from a family of Hunters, a society that secretly protected humans. Since learning of their existence centuries ago, the Hunters had learnt to become experts in dealing with the supernatural. Training usually began from a young age. I was six when I first held a weapon in my hand. I picked up new skills with ease, upsetting some of the other students at times. My friends didn't mind so much. I also knew my mother and stepfather were proud of my achievements.


Hunters sometimes called upon witches to battle with restless spirits or an unknown illness. But more often than not, they kept to themselves. Vampires and werewolves were becoming more of a problem. People went missing. Bodies were left out in the open. The human authorities couldn't make sense of what was really going on. Fights between species were won and lost. As time went by, a shaky truce was formed. Alternate resources became available. Creatures now followed a simple guideline: as long as no more humans were to be changed, cursed, or used for food, the Hunters would leave them be.


My mother Estelle had mentioned my father only once or twice over the years. A youthful indiscretion. He was no longer around. Apparently, I had his deep green eyes and dark brown hair. Estelle’s husband Robyn, had been chosen for her, but they actually loved each other. His own family were descended from the founding members of the society. He always treated me as if I were his own child.


At twenty, I got my official mark. Several months would pass before I was finally sent on a mission. This was my chance to prove myself. I had always listened to other Hunters tell their stories, now I could do the same. I understood that it wasn't all supernatural creatures who were the same when it came to the potential danger for humans. We were tasked only with hunting down the rogues.


My very first mission was meant to go as follows: observe a vampire nest, report back and allow the leader of our small group, to come up with a plan of action. Seemed pretty straightforward. But it didn't turn out that way. The vampires seemed to be instantly aware that there was something wrong, so the surprise attack was a bust. Granger gave an order to retreat.


I ignored the order and charged in. My instructors often praised me for my obedience, so I don’t quite know what came over me. I wanted to fight, and I knew I could kill them all. The other Hunters ran into the clearing when I was done. I stood amongst corpses that were already becoming ashes in the wind. Granger was shouting at me, but took not one step closer. I couldn't even say anything, because someone snuck up and knocked me unconscious...


When I awoke, I found myself in a prison cell. My mother was there too. “What’s going on?” “We’re in trouble.” Guards entered the room and took Estelle away. I could hear her agonizing screams. I covered my ears, but it wasn’t very helpful at all. The same two guards came for me. I was led down familiar corridors. I vowed to myself that no matter how bad my situation was, I would face it without fear. My conviction faltered slightly when I saw the Council chambers ahead. The stone room was large and filled with natural light, from the beautiful stained-glass windows.


A crowd was huddled in the corner. I heard whispers and endured harsh gazes from people I had known my whole life. Robyn looked devastated. There wasn’t really anything he could do to help. The Council’s judgements were final. I was chained to the floor. The cold metal bit into my wrists. I tried to hide my pain.


Master Caldwell motioned for those gathered to take a seat. Her cold blue eyes took in the atmosphere. Although her voice was low, it could still be heard. “One of our own has betrayed us. Now remain calm, you will soon understand exactly what I am talking about. Bring her in.”


A bruised and bloody heap was dragged up next to me. Estelle managed a weak smile. I tried to smile back. But inside I was fuming with anger. Master Hammond stood up from his chair. “Estelle Rodriguez. You are charged with a serious offence. Care to explain yourself? Keep in mind, that this will not affect the outcome of your punishment.”


Estelle got slowly to her feet, holding her left side. “I was nineteen when we first met. He stopped his fellow vampires from trying to tear me apart. I could have easily taken them out myself, but he said enough blood had been spilled that day. I was fascinated by him; I couldn’t help it. We gave in to our mutual attraction.

But both of us knew, that we couldn't possibly have a future together. He left. I found out I was pregnant.


A couple of years passed, and Miranda seemed like any other child. I hoped that maybe she hadn’t inherited any vampiric traits after all, therefore my secret would remain undiscovered. She does resemble him though. I caught her feeding off a rat when she was about four years old. She had tiny sharp teeth and her eyes were glowing. I came up with the idea to mix in animal blood with her food. That seemed to help her cravings.”


Blending of the species had happened before, everyone knew that. It was merely frowned upon in the supernatural communities. But within our organization? Totally forbidden, of course. Still there was a moment after Master Hammond fell silent, where I thought about defending my mother. I kept silent. The words of an 'abomination', wouldn't carry any weight whatsoever. Our days were done.


Master Jenson ended the trial. “Ladies and Gentlemen. The law has been broken. Witnesses can confirm that Miranda Rodriguez is part creature. Her speed and reflexes were a blur on the battlefield. Estelle should have killed her before she was even born. But she did not. The fate of these two has been sealed. Death by fire. Begin preparations as soon as possible. For now, take them back to the prison.”


The cell door was closed and locked. I thought Estelle had fallen asleep. So her desperate tone took me by surprise a few minutes later. She could barely keep her eyes open, but she seemed determined that I should hear her out. “Listen, you need to get yourself free. I refuse to watch you burn. I think it's possible you may have also inherited your father’s inhuman strength. Try to break the chains.”


I looked at her, and a spark of hope ignited. Could I really do this and get us out of here? Time to find out. My jaw dropped as the metal links tore from the wall, with little effort. “That’s useful.” I knew what I had to do next. I called out to a guard for help, the fear in my voice not all together fake. My mother was in an awfully bad way. He came in, suspecting nothing. I hit him from behind, hard enough to knock him out. Then I grabbed his cloak and the keys to our handcuffs. I tried to undo her chains, but she pushed me away. "Go, I will only slow you down.”


I suddenly realized that we would probably never see each other again. I held her close to me. It was difficult for her to take even a single breath. We stared into each other’s eyes. “No matter what anyone else says, I love you and I do not regret bringing you into this world.” “I love you too, Mum.” I stood up, trying to keep my tears in check and was out the door in a hurry.


*********


Now, as I moved cautiously through the village, I knew for sure that I didn't belong in this place. It was no longer home. Not without Estelle. I wouldn't be hunting vampires anymore. They were a part of my heritage, and I had to eventually come to terms with that. There was no way I could justify the killing of other creatures either. However, if while on my travels, they posed a threat to me, that was a different matter entirely. I had every right to defend myself.


It was time to be a proper adult and learn how to stand on my own two feet. A new pathway was beginning to take shape for me. There would be obstacles, I mean what kind of world would it be if there weren’t? Still I had a strong feeling that I should give it a try. Who knows, I might actually succeed. Wish me luck!


THE END

October 11, 2020 00:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

00:50 Mar 21, 2021

Lol, I actually thought that opening was about like... the autumn leaves. Still, you melded those details of fire so well, and it was such a great opening!

Reply

Kylie Wallis
02:24 Mar 21, 2021

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Princemark Okibe
08:40 Oct 15, 2020

This story has the potential of being a great TV show. I am serious. Your story has potential. You surely do have good plot because I was gripped by it. I just have a suggestion In this sentence [If I could only get to the front gate entrance without being spotted, I stood a fairly good chance of surviving.] You can rewrite it to flow better. [If I could only get to the front gate entrance without being spotted, then I will have a fairly good chance of surviving.] Keep writing. You got potential and you've got the story.

Reply

Kylie Wallis
08:55 Oct 15, 2020

Thanks for the compliment. I also appreciate any suggestions to better my stories. A Tv show? Now there's an idea! :).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
07:06 Oct 11, 2020

I stopped on a drawing.- stopped at - might work better I was brought up in a family of Hunters, who were part of a society that protected the humans in secret. Rearrange and drop words to - I was brought up in a family of Hunters, part of a society that secretly protected humans. as long no more humans- as long as "I couldn’t look at my mother as the cell door was closed and locked. She was barely able to keep her eyes open," Continuity issue. One sentence, she cannot see her mother, The next sentence, she can see her mother is b...

Reply

Kylie Wallis
08:37 Oct 11, 2020

Wow, thanks for this. I am always on the look out to improve my writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kylie Wallis
11:48 Oct 11, 2020

I've now made some changes.

Reply

Charles Stucker
15:26 Oct 11, 2020

The continuity problems are fixed now.

Reply

Kylie Wallis
00:28 Oct 12, 2020

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.