152 comments

Fantasy Funny Kids

Walmart.


Stupid, stupid Walmart.


If I had just gone to Safeway, I could’ve avoided everything that had happened.


But no. I went to Walmart.


*****


It started at noonish last Sunday. Normally, I wouldn’t even be out of bed at noon, because weekends are for sleeping in. If I go to the grocery store at all—I’m 15, so my parents do most of the shopping—it’s at midnight or so.


Not this time.


I had a checklist, okay? It was on PAPER. Weird, I know. Too bad—I only follow a checklist if it’s written out. What was this particular checklist about, you ask? Well, this checklist was random things I wanted to happen this month:



My Checklist (Finish Before February):



☐ Go to Virginia Beach even though it’s winter

☐ Go to Walmart at NOON, not midnight

☐ Read a book that isn’t epic fantasy

☐ Attempt to eat a shrimp

☐ Meet a magical creature (LITERALLY ANY MAGIC) 

☐ Buy some scissors

☐ Teach Dad about Siri

☐ Get a DOGGY!!!



I made a new one every month. A magical creature sighting and going to Walmart at a reasonable time were the two tasks I could never accomplish, though, so they were on EVERY list.


Where was I? Right. It was noon, so I hopped in my car and drove to Walmart.


*****


It was snowing extremely lightly when I started driving.


It was storming into a monster blizzard by the time I got to the supermarket.


I live 5 minutes away from Walmart.


I was a bit disturbed, but I still parked my car and ran into the store. I would be there for a while, waiting out the blizzard.


I walked in…just as everybody was leaving.


And I mean everybody. Huge swaths of people were jogging out of the huge store—even Walmart regulars, which was especially weird. When those people go to the store, they go to the store.


Besides, while the blizzard was freaky, it was better to wait it out in a store than drive in it. Nobody seemed to realize that, though—everybody was trying to scurry out of the supermarket in record time.


I didn’t care. I had gotten this far to check off a task on my checklist, so I was going to buy a pack of Lays.


*****


My feet clacked against the tiles as I marched into Walmart. Only the cashiers were still there, but then something came over the speakers:


“ATTENTION, ATTENTION,” a gruff voice boomed, “THIS WALMART IS CLOSING DUE TO AN EXTREMELY LARGE BLIZZARD THAT IS TOTALLY NATURAL. SO… YEAH, GET OUT.”


I didn’t stop. 


I was getting those chips.


The cashiers started to pack up. Soon, I was the only person in the Walmart—which was super freaky.


The Walmart near my house was huge. It’s usually bustling with noise and people, though. Now, there was no sound, no inhabitants minus me.


I groaned. The cashiers were gone, so I couldn’t buy the bag of chips in my arm.


I placed the Lays down and started walking towards the exit. Right before I walked out of the sliding doors showcasing the snowy wonderland beyond, I heard something that made me stop in my tracks:


A clatter.


I slowly started to walk towards where the sound had come from. Right before I entered the jewelry aisle (yep, my Walmart has one of those) I saw something: a figure clad in black, a bag full of something swung over his back.


Normally, I would’ve called 911, or at least screamed “ROBBBBER! SOMEBODY CATCH THIS GUY! HE’S STEALING STUFF! STOP HIIIIM!”


But I didn’t. Not just because there was no one around to hear me—I had my phone, after all.


No, I didn’t do anything because of one crucial fact: the figure wasn’t that of a grown person. It was maybe a foot and a half tall.


Hint hint: the robber was...


A baby?!


*****


I hadn’t realized I had said those words out loud until I had, well, said them out loud. My voice echoed in the giant supermarket as I rounded the same corner the baby had previously.


When I turned onto the card aisle, there was a baby giggling on the floor. 


The baby looked like a baby. It had a dreamy smile and was drooling a little, wiggling around. I wasn’t fooled—his all-black outfit was snagged on a nearby Happy Birthday! card.


Right, the baby was naked.


“Ack!” I exclaimed. I grabbed the black jumpsuit and threw it on the baby. “Put your robber outfit on!”


I stopped short in my tracks. What was I doing? I was probably hallucinating. Yeah, that was it. No baby would actually be robbing a Walmart with a black outfit and some strong legs. Nope, that wasn’t possible.


I took my thoughts back an instant later, when the baby caught the jumpsuit, stood up (and I don’t mean the baby version of standing up. I mean this infant was standing tall [as tall as an infant can stand…]), pulled it over his head, then groaned and started talking.


“Seriously?” The baby grumbled in the voice that had warned people to leave over the speakers. “You didn’t fall for it? Most people would see a baby and help it, not act like it can talk and put on its own clothes!


My jaw literally dropped. The baby was talking. DANG, this day was weird. I mean, I suppose since I had just seen the baby RUNNING and ROBBING, talking like a grown human wasn’t so strange, but still. You try seeing an infant speak in complete sentences and not being shocked.


After an awkward moment of silence, I finally recovered from my suprise:


“But you can talk and put on your own clothes.” I pointed out. “And no, I’m not falling for it because I just saw the same baby running. And robbing.”


“But still!” The baby threw his chubby little arms up. I stifled a snort. “I worked hard to conjure up that blizzard!”


“Wait, you conjured it up?” I squinted. “Actually, I guess that makes sense. Hold on…you're the guy who made the announcement, right?”


The baby nodded.


“Then why the heck did you add that the blizzard was totally natural?”


“I thought it would shake everybody off.”


“No!” I scowled then pondered a second. “You’re not very bright, are you?” I shook my head. “Oh, who am I kidding. You’re a baby.” I scratched my head as I studied the kid. “You. Are. A. Baby. Geez. How are you talking? And walking?”


“I’m not a baby, stupid!”


I laughed. “Suuuure. The baby calls me stupid.” I shook my head again, but this time to clear it. “I need to go. I’m definitely hallucinating.”


I started to walk away but a small hand pulled me back. I turned around and found the baby standing there. “I’m not a baby. Well, I am, but not a baby human. Well, I can be, but not all the time…” his voice trailed off and I said, “Whuh?”


A moment later, there was no infant standing in front of me. There was a baby unicorn.


Next, a newborn tiger.


Third, a tiny dragon.


Then, a baby goblin—what I think a baby goblin would look like anyway. He was maybe two feet tall, with green-brown skin and a shock of purple hair.


The goblin grinned at me. “See? Not a baby. A goblin is my normal form.”


“Normal…form…” my brain put together the words with what I had seen. “You’re a shapeshifter?”


“Yeppers. And now, since I can’t have you tattling on me, goodnight.”


I was about to ask what the heck he meant when the tiny goblin-robber swung his heavy bag into my head.


*****


I woke up in my bed.


My mom was sitting on the end, typing. She was a doctor but in her free time, she was an author. When she noticed I was awake, she smiled and scooted over. “So glad you’re up, Tyler.”


“Yeah,” I mustered.


“The police found you unconscious in the Walmart. The whole place had been robbed. Everyone’s so glad you’re okay!”


I mumbled, “Thanks.” 


“Do you, by any chance, know who the robber is?”


I racked my brain but couldn’t think of a single good answer. Any lie could backfire, and the truth was…iffy. “Ummmm…”


“You kept muttering ‘it was a goblin’ right before you were about to wake,” Mom recalled, “but goblins don’t exist and you were probably just saying whatever.”


I thought about the baby goblin/unicorn/tiger/dragon/human. “Nope. No idea who the robber is.”


Mom kissed my forehead and left the room, and I grabbed my checklist-containing notebook.


I flipped to January’s checklist. Grinning, I checked off the box for Go to Walmart at NOON, not midnight.


Grinning wider, I checked off the second box I could never accomplish.


“Meet a magical creature,” I whispered as I capped my pen, “check.”



July 28, 2020 12:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

152 comments

נιмму 🤎
19:54 Aug 06, 2020

Hey man my mom works at walmart also I would've just stolen the lays if no one was there then how'd they find out? mwhahhahaha! Anywayy I really liked this, very creative and funny. I love the ending and how she checks off her list, so yeahhh great job sis/bro/ma'am/sir whatever :P

Reply

20:16 Aug 06, 2020

Hehe. 🤣🤣🤣😏😏😏 Thank you!!! Haha, I’m definitely not ‘ma’am’ LOL. 😆 Thanks aaaaagain! ~Aerin

Reply

21:23 Apr 30, 2021

Oh my gods I’m cringing so hard at whatever the heck this reply was So dear people stalking my comments, WHAT WAS THIS?! THE EMOJIS?? THE ALL-CAPS “LOL”?? AHHH THE CRINGENESS-

Reply

Kat Sencen
15:54 Jun 10, 2021

I think you may have read too much Percy Jackson... saying "oh my gods"

Reply

18:26 Jun 10, 2021

EXACTLYYYYYYYY no really tho I say that all the time and it’s a mix of a whole heckuva lot of fantasy worlds— lolz

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:09 Aug 06, 2021

Yeah, I also wondered about that...if you're serious enough about getting a bag of Lay's that you go into a Walmart when the speakers say it's closing, you're probably serious enough to steal said bag of Lay's.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Isabelle ~~
02:21 Jul 29, 2020

I love your story, it's really cool and fun to read :)

Reply

22:54 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
SAMANTHA LANGLEY
14:58 Mar 22, 2021

This was... epic. Funny, creative, silly.... I loved reading it. I especially liked... -“You kept muttering ‘it was a goblin’ right before you were about to wake,” Mom recalled, “but goblins don’t exist and you were probably just saying whatever.” -“I’m not a baby, stupid!” I laughed. “Suuuure. The baby calls me stupid.” -There was a baby unicorn. Next, a newborn tiger. Third, a tiny dragon. Then, a baby goblin. Good job!

Reply

15:01 Mar 22, 2021

Haha, thank you so much! (I haven’t seen a comment on this story in a while lol)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
11:27 Jan 02, 2021

Hahaha wow I was intrigued when I read the bit about the baby talking and such. What an adventurous, cute story!

Reply

14:20 Jan 02, 2021

Haha, thank you, Coco!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
22:08 Jan 02, 2021

You’re welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cam Croz
02:52 Oct 08, 2020

This was a very interesting take on the prompt. I liked the idea of the impossible item on the checklist being checked off. It was also quite a funny read. "When those people go to the store, they GO to the store." was my favorite line.

Reply

00:41 Oct 09, 2020

Thanks! Yay, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KYRA ROBIN
01:07 Oct 01, 2020

Okay, I'm a little late to the part but I was scrolling through your stories and saw Walmart so I obviously had to go look XD This was great, so funny I died laughing a couple times. Very fun and light hearted, and love the relatability about the people of Walmart. There's actually a people of Walmart coloring book, you should look at it it's pretty funny.

Reply

22:29 Oct 01, 2020

Oh, wow,thank youuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
20:08 Sep 11, 2020

I like how Tyler’s able to check off his list after that weird and funny encounter :). Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

20:32 Sep 11, 2020

Thanks :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Krishi Norris
14:40 Aug 07, 2020

Riddle: What can you catch but not throw? Answer (I think): A cold!

Reply

14:40 Aug 07, 2020

Yes, that’s it! 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Reply

Krishi Norris
14:42 Aug 07, 2020

Yay! Haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:31 Aug 04, 2020

This story is so funny. Great imagination

Reply

12:17 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Barbara Burgess
10:21 Aug 02, 2020

I love your fun story. Very good indeed. A good take on the prompt. Well done.

Reply

12:57 Aug 02, 2020

Aw, thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tiffy H
07:39 Aug 02, 2020

I hope one day to write as good as you ❤️

Reply

12:50 Aug 02, 2020

Aw, thanks so much! 😊😊 I’m still young, though, so I hope to get much, much better!🤣 Thanks again! 🤗 ~A

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rose CG
14:37 Jul 29, 2020

Hi, What an adorable story. It was both magical and imaginative. ~Rose *Also, thanks for following me!

Reply

14:40 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks/you’re welcome, Rose!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karin Venables
14:15 Jul 29, 2020

Awesome story. Just enough reality to make it believable! Perfect way to combine check marks on your list. That a teenager would have a list is somewhat odd. That sounds like something I would do as a granny. I like that you've put a bio up. I think you and I are the only two that one that I've seen so far. Keep writing. You're doing great. This was an entertaining read. The technical stuff is well done, like grammar spelling etc. so no worries there either. I look forward to finding your next entry.

Reply

14:19 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks so much, Karin! (That’s a cool spelling of your name!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alwyn McNamara
20:24 Jul 28, 2020

When I initially saw this prompt I decided not to write about it because it seemed like a hard one to write. You have totally nailed this prompt! Your story was nothing like I was expecting and that was the great thing about it. I love how it all tied back to the list. Such am enjoyable read. Well done.

Reply

20:28 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you SO MUCH!!! 😆😆😆

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heissell Ramirez
20:03 Jul 28, 2020

Wow, your story was so much fun to read. Greta job! 👏👏

Reply

20:04 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you so much! 🤗🤗🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anja Z
19:05 Jul 28, 2020

Nice story good job , loved how the robber were a innocent creature at first ;)

Reply

19:09 Jul 28, 2020

Haha thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ola Hotchpotch
18:56 Jul 28, 2020

😊 nice story. Goblins are robbers and elves are good?

Reply

19:02 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:46 Jul 28, 2020

Lol so cute, I loved it.

Reply

18:03 Jul 28, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:13 Jul 28, 2020

What a fun read. I love your imagination. Great job

Reply

18:03 Jul 28, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amith Shaju
13:57 Jul 28, 2020

Really noble of you to keep that Lays back in its place! Nice story. I liked the narration and the sci fi element. Some suggestions 1. There seems to be a clutter near the "My Checklist". Try leaving a line. 2. Since you have time for final submission, why don't you give a try at increasing the suspense. The twist happens almost as soon as we meet the baby. Hope the feedback was useful. Happy writing! :) P.S: All the best on your venture "Color Quest". Also, delay the answer for the Daily Riddle by one day. ;)

Reply

13:59 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you! Ooh, good idea!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.