8 comments

Fantasy

I remember it was a Tuesday morning. I was getting ready for school, my window open to let the breeze cool my apartment down from the humidity. I heard a couple clanking and from the kitchen, but assumed it was my cat, Star.


Even though it was summer I felt cold air on my back. I shivered. Was there a breeze? I looked at the trees. They were still. I looked behind me and froze. Figuratively.


A girl was sitting on my table. But she looked so weird and almost...angelic. Her hair was blue. Like an icy bright blue. Her eyes were a fleshy pink, the only thing warm about her. Her own skin was dark blue. Her body was wrapped in a thin dress that reached her knees. A poncho of some kind fell off her shoulders made from a gauzy material. I could see her lightly tattooed shoulders.


I stepped back as she jumped lightly from her spot and floated towards me, her toes lightly grazing the carpet. She touched my chest, and I shivered. A sensation of being drenched in ice-cold water coursing through my arms and legs.


" ⍙⏃⏁⟒⍀ ⌿⌰⟒⏃⌇⟒?" she said, hovering a inches away from my face. Her eyelashes were coated with snow. I am literally on the verge of screaming. I turn and begin running.


I fall on my face as my feet become heavy and cold. I look, and my feet are stuck to the now wet carpet with ice.


She squats, her face curious. " ⍙⊑⊬ ⏃⍀⟒ ⊬⍜⎍ ⍀⎍⋏⋏⟟⋏☌?" She pokes my face with an ice-cold finger. " ⊑⎍⋔⏃⋏ ⏃⍀⟒ ⊬⍜⎍ ⏃⌇⌰⟒⟒⌿?" She then holds my face to her forehead.


My head hurts, and I have to shut my eyes as my vision blurs with pain. Then she pulls away and the pain evaporates.


" I apologize, my ⟒⋏☌⌰⟟⌇⊑ is not very great, so I grabbed the basic wording from you. " Do you have any ⋔⟒⏃⏁ here? For the eating?"


She unfroze my feet, and floated around my apartment, touching or feeling random things, leaving small lumps of snow and ice on whatever she touched.


I slumped against the wall. My fingers rapidly tore at my hair.


" I have an alien in my house, I have an ice-fairy-alien person, in my house. " I rocked back and forth, in disbelief as she tried communicating with Star.


" Human, wh-"


" I have a name." I snap, my nerves on the verge of snapping. " It's Maddox." She claps excitedly.


" What a happy name!" she fluffs up Star's fur, causing her to tremble. She sneezes white powder. " My name is ⌇⎍⋔⋔⟒⍀, and that in your language..."


She blinked twice. " My name is Summer!"


I snort. She looks around. " Okay, where shall I sleep?"


" No, no, no! You are not sleeping here!" I push her to the door.

She withers, her face falls.


" But, I have nowhere to go, Maddox. My ship crashed when I was traveling from ⌰⎍⋏⏃. I have nowhere to go!" I sighed.


" You can stay until we fix your ship, and that's it!" I warned, walking to the guest room. " And then you leave!" She nodded exuberantly.


" Three rules. " I told her, sitting her on the bed. " One. If I tell you to be quiet, or not to go somewhere, you do it."


" Do it," she whispered like a child, her pink eyes focused on me. I scowled. " Two.' I pulled out gloves and socks. " You need to wear these at all times. You're messing up my stuff-" she took them and put the gloves on her feet. " Maddox's gloves aren't very effective. " I snatched them and slipped it on her hands. Then I put on the socks, face burning. She wiggled her feet.


" Three. no floating. " She gasped, her face all sad. I groaned. " Okay, only in the house, when no one is here, got it?"


She nodded like an excited child again. " Okay, if anyone asks, your my cousin, we're gonna have to figure out how to fix your skin, unless we could make you a cosplayer..." Her cheeks burned a dark purple. " What is wrong with my skin?" I rolled my eyes and pulled her to the window. " Look at everyone. They don't have blue skin, or-" I screamed as a huge porcupine looked at me. " How about this? I see many ⌇⋏⏃☍⟒... human? why are you laying on the floor? Hello?"


I passed out on the bed.


When I woke up, the huge blue porcupine was in my fridge. I yelled and she fell backward, a huge head of lettuce in her mouth.


" Spit it out!" I hit her with a fly swatter. She held on to the lettuce head, whimpering as I whacked her with the swatter.


" Change- *whack* -back-*whack*- now!"

She changed back, the lettuce head in her mouth, trying to eat the whole thing.


I sighed. My new roommate had a lot to learn. I looked at Star in disbelief, and she meowed, as If telling me how much of an idiot I was inviting an alien to my house. I sent a mental apology to any other aliens if I had made them that mad to send me this.


I snatched the lettuce head and ripped a piece off. " You eat it one at a time." She took it and stuffed it in her mouth, her eyes filled with pleasure. I wonder if I could just feed her with just lettuce...


" Human-"


"Maddox."


"Er, yes. What are you doing?" I had put some water to boil. " I'm making coffee."


I had put the coffee powder in when she took a step towards the mug. " May I try?" I put cream and sugar in it, then handed it to her. She took a sip.


"Ahh!" she yelped, fanning her tongue. "It's very⏚⎍⍀⋏⟟⋏☌ !"


" You're supposed to let it cool." I rolled my eyes. She took her glove off, and summoned a pile of snow, and stuffed it in her mouth. Steam drifted from her mouth, and she breathed a sigh of relief.


I pulled out my phone and ordered some skin-colored makeup. I looked at her clothing. She looked like she was wearing a bathing suit with mesh sleeves. I ordered some clothing. The total entered to a couple nights of working. The school would have to wait.


I sighed. What had I gotten myself into?














May 13, 2020 19:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Amany Sayed
18:24 Aug 08, 2020

Wonderful story! I really enjoyed it! I especially loved the part she shoved snow in her mouth after drinking hot coffee, lol. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vrishni Maharaj
15:34 Jun 02, 2020

Engaging story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Julian Race
06:58 May 19, 2020

You gotta fix the spaceship yet - hint hint! Nice story and welcome, you are my first follower, fame at last! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
A. Y. R
19:54 May 14, 2020

This was such a lovely and funny story! I loved how you used those random symbols to portray her language - made it very authentic!

Reply

Raven B. Evolet
19:55 May 14, 2020

Thank you! I'm hoping that I will have the chance to continue Summer and Maddox's story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
06:50 Aug 11, 2020

Wonderful. Some scenes were funny and you are a great writer. Loved it. Keep writing. Would you mind reading my story “The secret of power?”

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jill Pax
05:23 May 21, 2020

This short story is very interesting! I really like the idea of her speaking in a different language, it really captures my attention. I would recommend deleting the spaces in front of the quotation marks, maybe adding some paragraphs when another person is talking, but that's just grammar feedback. Great job! <3

Reply

Raven B. Evolet
22:56 May 21, 2020

Thank you, that's really helpful! :>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.