0 comments

Lesbian Romance Fantasy

Christina knocked on the door in front of her a little harder, knuckles stinging. The witch finally opened the door. The graying skin sagged off her face, and sent a slight shudder down Christina's spine. The witch was well known throughout the land as one of the best witches for people who wanted to get out. Christina held up a small, amulet carved with a careful touch, in front of her. "Is it true that you sent her away?"

The witch gave her a wide smile that seemed unnatural. Her gnarled hand reached out and grasped the amulet, pulling it down to her eye level. "Oh, yes. That palace guard with the fire? Oh, yes. She wanted to run away, and should have done it sooner if you ask me."

Christina huffed in irritation. She knew that Jay had wanted to get out, but she couldn't fathom anyone really wanting to leave the kingdom. The economy was good and the standard of living for the ordinary people was very high. And yet...

"Why did you do it? She had a good life here. I'm sure that there wasn't anything here that was so bad that it would encourage her to leave m- I mean the kingdom." Christina stooped under the doorway as the witch ushered her inside.

"Of course there wasn't. Not that you knew of anyway. But who can expect more of you? You're so disconnected from your people that you wouldn't even do anything if there was a genocide. She was only staying for you, and I can't see why." The tiny old woman started a small flame in the middle of the room, the flames lapping at the side of the fire pit. She gestured at Christina to help her with a table.

As Christina heaved the ancient, heavy table to where the woman had pointed. After she had finally hefted it over to where she to put it. 

"Over to the left a little." The witch said, gesturing vaguely to the left.

Christina kicked it a little over to the left. A harsh pain ricocheted up her shin. She grabbed her leg and hopped twice, massaging her toes through her soft leather boots. "Careful."

She looked over at the old woman through the braids falling in front of her eyes. "Yeah, thanks. What's your name anyway?"

The woman sniffed. "You expect me to hand out my name willy nilly? Did I ask you what your name was? Do you think that I really trust you not to tell the fae my name? What do you take me for, a fool?"

Christina raised her hands in defense, setting a hand on the table. The old woman waddled over with a metal bowl with assorted jars and bottles. As she pulled the different containers, Christina saw occasional labels. Dried roses. Moon water. Cinnamon sticks. Sea salt. 

"You do want to find her, right?" The witch asked, as she saw Christina's raised eyebrow. 

"Of course. I want that more than anything. Please, let me find her. I'll give you anything." Christina felt the ghost of her friend's presence. The witch swerved around, planting one beady eye behind Christina's shoulder.

"She's here."

"What? She is? Where?" Christina spun around, eyes roaming around the small cottage, straining to see in the dark. There was nothing. 

"Hm." She nodded as if taking note from an unseen person. Christina tried to see what was behind her, squinting to see a vague outline of an aura. This was rare, because auras weren't usually something that Christina could see. The aura was a faint orange gold and felt as familiar as the sound of her father's laugh. Or the dry sarcasm of her brother's tone. Or the calming influence of her mother. 

"Jay?"

The witch finally made eye contact with Christina and pursed her lips. "I'm sorry, did you just say a name in this home? In the woods? Ruled by the fae? Are you dumb, or did you want your friend to have trouble in the world she's in. You fool, the fae know her now." The witch parted the curtain and looked out into the forest, lit by fireflies and the fae. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. What do I do to get her name back from the fae?" Christina asked, following the witch's gaze into the woods. A pair of glowing red eyes appeared in the darkness. Christina felt a shiver run up the back of her spine.

"Your friend wants you to join her. What will you give in return? She sacrificed something very, very, important to her. What is the most thing to you? You have to bring something that you care about more than anything." The witch glared over at Christina, her interest in the aura behind her. 

"I-," Christina paused. The most important things to her was her friend and her brother. She couldn't hurt them.

"My name."

The witch paused, her back hunched over the bowl. The clear tinkling of salt falling into a bowl sounding out in the silent room. "Your name?"

"Yes, my full name. The fae can do with it what they will, but I will give it up for her." Christina could hear a small humming noise building up behind the house. The fae were ready to feast. 

"If you are sure, I will help you with it. Now, come." The witch showed her the jar that she was working with. She had already cleaned out the jar with incense, and there was salt sitting on the bottom most level of the jar. 

"Okay. I have contacted the people on the other side that will take care of you. They are good people and will take good care of you. Now. Your name." The witch took Christina's chin gently in her hand. Christina felt her voice box contract, and she felt the words rip out of her throat.

"Christina Kirabo Conch."

A blue wisp floated out of her throat, flying aimlessly until the witch caught it in the jar, her eyes sad. She sealed the corked lid with orange candle wax. "Carry this with you. Always."

She held out the small jar, a chain slithering around Christina's neck, attaching her to the jar. Christina's stomach dropped out from under her, and she felt herself floating away. The witch shouted a goodbye, and Christina lost consciousness. 

April 05, 2021 21:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.