20 comments

American Fantasy Friendship

All five senses come alive in the wilderness. Hearing and smell tend to be the most sensitive though. Tonight, I hear an orchestra of frogs and crickets backed by a babbling brook. As I take deep breaths, the smells of pine smoke and lake water take hold of my nostrils. It occurs to me how closely smell and taste are linked when I also recognize both of those smells as flavors on my tongue while eating the fried trout I made for dinner tonight. Though sight can be hindered by firelight, the full moon casting its heavy glow across the lake helps bring my surroundings into focus. It is a warm summer night out here in Northern Idaho, but a cool breeze over the water brings goose-flesh to my skin. I shiver as I raise a hot mug of pine tea to my chapped lips. This is my element.


I am halfway through my backpacking trek in the panhandle. There have been several beautiful mountain lakes and kind people I have met along the way. As I was searching for somewhere to make camp off the beaten path today, I made a discovery. It was starting to get dark, so I was in a rush to find a decent spot for the night. In my haste, I kicked up something buried beneath pine needles as I was stringing my hammock between two trees. I picked up what looked like a leather journal of sorts, perhaps a lost travel log of a previous hiker. Curiosity plagued me for a moment, but I decided it would have to wait until morning. There was a fire needing to be sparked soon if I was to eat tonight.


The rising sun shifting through the soldier pines was as bright headlights through a window at night. You wake easier and earlier in the woods though, almost like a fairy tale. After shedding my cocoon of blankets and sleeping bag, I stretched my arms to the sky and stepped out from the swaying hammock. Last night’s embers came back to life easy enough and soon the percolator came to life as well. I sat in my three-legged camp chair, breathed in the earthy aroma, and flipped open the journal I had found.


My face scrunched in confusion as I beheld broken English amid cave-like drawings on the first page I turned to. The handwriting was the worst chicken scratch I had ever seen, like a child learning to write but with more violence. What I could make out was, Woman saw me. She screamed. I be more careful. A signature followed, Kooten, Son of Esau. Underneath were crude drawings of trees with stick people in the distant corner of the page. Near the signature, behind the furthest tree from the stick figures, was drawn a taller being than the rest. Long hair cascaded all around this being and I realized the page was stained with tears.


Wild theories began spinning in my mind. Overwhelmed, I closed the journal and poured myself some coffee. I sat stunned awhile, staring off into nothing. My coffee grew cold in my hands, so I chugged it when I came back to reality. The remaining coffee in the percolator was dumped over the fire, then I got to work cleaning up my camp. I was aiming to trek another thirty miles today and had a feeling my newfound reading material would make quick work of the day.


The path winded downhill for a while which made for a less grueling start to my long day. I had hardly looked up from my recent obsession when I noticed the trail had flattened out into an open area surrounded by a plethora of large boulders. It led to a marsh on the right and I saw a wooden bridge in the distance. An eerie feeling of being watched washed over me. You have to be wary of mountain lions in situations like this since they have the high ground hidden behind the monoliths. I tucked the journal in my belt and whipped out my hiking sticks from the sides of my backpack like an archer drawing arrows. My breathing slowed, but my heart raced as I darted my eyes throughout the area. Feeling more at ease seeing nothing in my search, I pressed on through the marsh. I went over the wooden bridge with a few missing slats, then out the other side without incident. This part of the trail led back uphill into another part of the forest. I was grateful for the cover, but I made sure to keep my head on a swivel.


It had been a couple of days since I had seen anyone else out here, so when I saw someone approaching from the crest of the next hill my heart was elated. As they approached, I rehearsed my passing comment in my head. Most hikers do not like to stop for chit-chat since they too are on a mission to hit their predetermined mileage for the day. This particular hiker did not seem to have a pack on, but it was hard to tell from this distance. A local perhaps? I thought to myself. When they got closer, I noticed their outfit seemed out of place for the current weather. I was rocking shorts and a tank top while they were in pants and a sweater with the hood pulled over their head. A ball cap was pulled down over their face, so I guessed they preferred the extra cover to keep the bugs and nefarious plants from causing trouble. All I could distinguish was a long brown beard peppered with gray and long brown hair flowing from their hood down onto their chest. Unable to get a better look at them as they passed by, I said something dumb like, Nice beard bro! They kept silent as we continued our separate ways.


Feeling a bit foolish, I turned to yell something more thoughtful like Happy trails! or Be safe out there! Watch for mountain lions that way! Before I got a word out though, they had turned back my direction too. They looked me straight in the eyes but pointed down and grunted at me. That is when I realized their hands were hairy too.


Frozen in the moment, I did not know what to do next. Do I run away? Run at them with my hiking sticks? Cry? My body chose to stay put as I filtered through these thoughts. I gripped my hiking sticks tighter as they walked towards me with cautious steps and arms raised in front of them.


“You found book!” they growled. “Give back?”


I took a glance down at my waist where I had forgotten all about the journal I had found. “You’re S-Sasquatch.” I stammered. “B-Bigfoot.”


“Not my name. My foot not that big!” they replied as they showed off their normal-looking feet to me. “Me Kooten, Son of Esau.”


He then gestured towards the journal again, so I unhooked it from my waist and handed it over with a tremor in my hand. Kooten grabbed it with care and hugged it to his chest.


“Thank you, friend,” he said.


As I turned to get out of there, I tried with desperation to convince myself this was some odd hallucination. I shook my head like an Etch-A-Sketch in hopes of clearing my mind of this madness, but I felt a gentle, large hand on my shoulder. Fear invaded my entire being as I turned back around, submitting to the fact it was not my imagination.


“Hungry?” Kooten asked. “I feed you in my home.”


That idea sounded even more preposterous to me, so I shook my head again in polite decline. He insisted though with the urging of one trying to get a toddler to do something they do not want to do. Against my better judgment, I gave in to his pleading and followed him off the beaten path deeper into the wild. I had a sinking feeling this would be my last trek through the woods, but at least I would get to dine with Bigfoot.


After an hour of walking, we ended up in a small, lush clearing near the mouth of a cave. I was surprised to see some livestock grazing in the meadow. Instead of scattering at our arrival, they looked up and greeted us with bleats and moos before returning to their lunches. Sasquatch is a shepherd! I thought to myself in disbelief. He removed a lid from a large vase-like vessel and drew the animals some water. They gathered at his feet and drank with contentment. Kooten then drew a flagon for us both, set the lid back in place, then led me inside.


Away from the entrance, down a long hall to our right, a faint light was shining. Kooten led me to an open cavern roughly the size of a small warehouse. The walls were lined with lit sconces and there was a large fire pit in the middle bringing a nice warmth to the room. We sat at a table set near the fire which looked hewn by hand. He poured some water into wooden cups, then fetched an assortment of berries from a nearby wicker basket.


“So, why did you bring me here?” I asked before touching anything offered to me.


“Drink! Eat!” he replied. “Not poison. You friend!”


“We don’t even know each other. Why do you call me friend?”


“Forgive my English. No practice in long time. You friend for finding book and for not running away.”


“Okay, well how do you know English, or even how to write or draw?”


“Old friend teach. Gave me book, then leave. I also learn from hearing the pack people like you.”


“Why do you hide away here instead of making more friends?”


“I try, but people scream and run. Old friend give me clothes. They help hide in open. Like I normal.”


“Ah, like today. You lost your journal and came to the trail to find it.” I said putting it all together.


“It worked at first, your disguise. A lot of men wear long beards and long hair, especially in the woods.” I subconsciously scratched my chin, self-conscious of my shaven face.


“Yes. Thank you for finding and giving back. Your face okay with no beard.” Kooten chuckled and tossed some berries in his mouth.


I half-smiled and partook of our humble meal myself, feeling much more at ease than when I first arrived. “Are there more like you Kooten? There are other legends of the Yeti and I have heard of some circus folk back in the day with your condition.”


“Yeti?” he grunted inquisitively. “What is cir-cus?”


“Basically you, but in the snow. A circus is harder to explain, but they did call them freaks sadly.”


“Oh! Must be far-off cousins,” he said with elation. “We are alone and spread far now. Long time ago, we all big family.”


“You called yourself Son of Esau. Like from the Old Testament?” I asked.


“I know no Old Test-a-ment. My family tell me story. Their family tell them story. Those family tell them story and—”


“Okay, I understand.” I laughed. “A family story passed down through history.”


“His-tory? Yes! Old story. Some in book. Some on walls here.” Kooten walked me to a tall wall on the other side of the room.


Sure enough, there were cave-like drawings. Some looked like boats on the water. Others looked like groups of hairy people wandering long distances. I also noticed something resembling writing.


“What does this say?” I asked.


“Family curse. Father Esau tricked by brother with smooth skin. We left to wander with no home.” he explained.


“Wow! That’s how the rest of the world remembers it too!” I exclaimed in awe. “When you tried to find a home, people rejected your family?”


“Yes. We look different. We are cursed.” Kooten got choked up and turned away. “Now, no more Sons of Esau when I die.”


“I am so sorry.” I instinctively reached out to hug him, my bias being torn down by empathy. To my surprise, he accepted the embrace and squeezed me hard.


“You listen. Thank you, friend. You take book and share story? Maybe it help find me mate!” he said with a big-toothed grin.


“I can try!” I laughed. “I don’t think anyone will believe me though.”


“You believe and you try. That is enough. Makes me happy.” Kooten handed me his journal and led me back outside.


I handed him my walking sticks to remember me by. He thanked me and said they would help him pick high fruit. We laughed and embraced once more. Then, he pointed me back toward the path we met on. Kooten went to tend to his animals as I walked away. When I turned to look at him, still in disbelief this was real, he turned to me also and waved. I waved back, then returned home a more changed man than I ever thought I would be when I first set out this summer. 

May 26, 2023 06:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Mary Bendickson
06:51 May 26, 2023

Oh, so that's where they came from.

Reply

J. D. Lair
15:30 May 26, 2023

Haha a silly idea which popped into my head one day. Glad I was able to flesh it out into a story. Thanks for reading, and so quickly too! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aidan Romo
23:37 Jan 05, 2024

Very different, more human take on Bigfoot with great visualization of setting. It almost feels like one of those lighter toned episodes of the original Twilight Zone series. (I mean that as a high compliment) Once again, your ability to create simple, real, relatable protagonists shine in this story, despite who the character of most focus is. Another good story here!

Reply

J. D. Lair
05:46 Jan 06, 2024

Thanks again Aidan! I really had fun writing this one. It was a fringe idea I wasn’t sure would work, but I like how it came together. I must admit I’ve never seen any of the Twilight Zone, but I know enough to take that as the high compliment it was. :) perhaps I should give it a watch and maybe find some more off-the-wall inspiration.

Reply

Aidan Romo
08:32 Jan 06, 2024

You absolutely should! I highly recommend it! You will certainly find plenty of good inspiration there. It's the perfect mix of creativity in its stories and substance in its messages.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
20:11 Dec 10, 2023

I love this story! I have written some stories about camping, wilderness and the Sasquatch too! Your vivid sensory details and imagery are so beautifully written. The theme of overcoming previous biases and being transformed by learning the truth is inspiring. Wonderful! :-)

Reply

J. D. Lair
21:07 Dec 10, 2023

Aw, thank you! Really glad you enjoyed it and that this story is seeing some new love. I enjoyed writing it haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:38 May 30, 2023

This is a lovely take on the myth of Bigfoot!. Actually makes perfect sense. I was worried for MC but happy with the way it turned on. Reminded me of Harry and the Hendersons. Does anyone remember that??! Great work!

Reply

J. D. Lair
22:28 May 30, 2023

Thank you very much Derrick! Glad the concept makes sense to others than myself. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
00:25 May 29, 2023

This is a more optimistic take than the x-files feeling start that had me thinking the main character would end up big foot meat.

Reply

J. D. Lair
02:53 May 29, 2023

Haha what a turn that would have been! The goal was to make him human with his own longings for companionship and whatnot. Outcasts are near to my heart, so I try to shed some light on giving them more of a chance. :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:55 May 29, 2023

More like Charlie from We Bare Bears than anything dangerous. I like it.

Reply

J. D. Lair
04:59 May 29, 2023

I’m glad. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
00:23 May 29, 2023

Hi J. D. For some reason this reminds me of the book, Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir (Mars). If you haven’t read it, you should. The friendship bond, the contrasting cultures, the otherworldly environment. It would be interesting, in my view, to see how Weir structured the plot, his prose, etc I live in Idaho so your story had special meaning. Can’t wait to go up to Coeur d’Alene and go camping. Won’t be the same ever again!

Reply

J. D. Lair
02:58 May 29, 2023

Wow! Quite a compliment to remind you of Andy. I’ve heard of the book you mention, but have not read it. I’ll add it to my list. :) I lived in Boise for about 5 years and scenes of this story are pulled from camping trips there. My family was just up there in August visiting some friends and we loved it! Got myself a Bigfoot sticker for my water bottle while there haha. Next time we are there I’m sure this story will be in my mind too. Perhaps another story will come to fruition while there!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cajek Veilwinter
21:57 May 28, 2023

Very creative and cottage-core origin story for them! The setting and the warmth was very nice

Reply

J. D. Lair
22:51 May 28, 2023

I really appreciate your comments and taking the time to read my story. :) I have never heard of cottage-core, but it sounds metal so I dig it!

Reply

Cajek Veilwinter
04:09 May 29, 2023

Yeah! It was very cozy: Two bros - one hairy, one not-so-much - chill in the woods and talk about life

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
20:14 May 28, 2023

Cool! This is an interesting take on both Bigfoot and the story of Esau. Very clever. This is good source material if you want to do more with it. I like that Kooten is not a typical Sasquatch, but a wild man and shepherd/hunter the way Esau is described in The Bible, which means he would also speak a form of ancient Hebrew. I have never been to Idaho, but have always wanted to visit. I do hear that it is extremely remote.

Reply

J. D. Lair
20:51 May 28, 2023

Thank you for reading and the kind comments! :) I too felt it was something I could do more with, perhaps fleshing out the family history more or giving Yeti a perspective. I’m glad the connections came through well since a lot of people may not be familiar with the story of Esau. I lived in Boise for about 5 years and explored a lot of the wild there through camping and whatnot. The marsh scene is pulled directly from a hike I took out there once and the feeling of a mountain lion nearby was a very real one. Some parts of the state ar...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.