Opposite Day

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: One day, the sun rose in the west and set in the east.... view prompt

14 comments

Fantasy

“The sun is rising in the west today,” I said to my Mom. She looked out the window. It was about 5:55 am. The sun started rising from the west. 

“I knew it!” I said to myself.

  “Oh, it is, Luna,” mom looked from the window to me. I pushed my glasses up higher on my nose.

  “I wonder why,” my mom said. I looked at her green eyes through my glasses. Just like mine. 

I sighed, “Mom, it's Opposite Day.” She looked at me with disbelief and fear. 

“W-what?” she stammered. 

“Opposite Day,” I repeated.

 “A-ah,” She said looking distracted. 

“Ok?” I said as I stepped out of the room and called out, “Mom, remember I have been waiting for Opposite Day for years now.” I went upstairs to get ready. As I was brushing through my super thick brown hair, I realized I needed to flip my shirt backward and say everything opposite from what I meant. I went on my TV and watched the news. It went like this- 

The weather forecaster said, “Today is supposed to be rainy and cloudy all day! It is going to be a terrible day today! I hope that y’all have a terrible day!” I changed the channel.

 “Today is not Opposite Day, so we all have school and work today.” I shut the TV off. 

“MOM!” I scream. 

“Yes honey?” I hear her say.

 “No school!” I say. 

“Oh, really? Cool honey!” she responds. I walk up to my room and text my friend JJ. 

“Hey JJ. No school!” 

He responds with, “Ok cool… Today is Opposite day, shouldn’t we say everything backwards?” 

I say, “Well can we not? So it isn’t so confusing? Please?” 

He said, “Ok! Wanna meet up l8er?”  Oh my gosh, yay! 

“Sure!” I text back. 

“10 am my place?” 

“Yes!” I look at the time, 8:00 am.

 “Oops… I should've waited later to text him.” I go back downstairs and eat some breakfast. I went up to my room and wrote in my diary. I must admit, I like JJ. I mean, he is handsome, funny, and nice, with long hockey-hair, honey hazel soft eyes, and is super tall! Every girl’s dream! I look at my phone at 8:15 am. 

“Come on!” I exclaim! I go downstairs and I see my mom, eyes wide open, looking out the window. She is frozen in fear. 

“MOM! WHAT IS WRONG!” She looks at me and falls over. “MOM!” I grab my phone and call 911. “HELP!” I scream into the phone “My mom just passed out a second ago, please help!” I told them where I was, and they sent an ambulance over. I looked at the time and it was 9:00! I started to panic, and mom looked at me with her face super pale.

 “Don’t go outside on Opposite Day-” I freaked out! 

I instantly texted JJ, “I can’t go over today I’m… Not… Allowed too…”

He responded instantly “Well… Do you think I can come over?”

I thought about it a little bit “Sure!” 

“Ok! How about… Right now!”

“Lol! Sure!” Then I remembered my mom “Umm-”

“I’m on my way be there in like 5 mins”  OMG! I started freaking out! My mom is on the couch passed out! What is JJ going to say? I just fell down and started crying. I heard the doorbell ring. I went up to the door and JJ came in. 

He saw my red eyes and hugged me and said, “Luna? What’s wrong?” I looked at him and collapsed in his arms. He started to look actually very worried. “Luna? I’m actually very worried about you…” 

I stuttered, “I-I'm-s-scared-” His eyes grew big and I started panicking and shaking. He grabbed me and hugged me super tight. 

“Luna… Why are you scared?” I pulled him into the living room and pointed at my mom. He hugged me and said, “I’m so sorry! Why didn’t you tell me?” 

I said, “I was…” 

“Then why didn’t you?”

“I-I couldn’t…”

“Why not?”

“Because…”

“Ok?”

The door rang and I ran to answer it. The ambulance was there with a stretcher that they put my mom on. JJ looks at me with such sympathy.

 “I’m so sorry.” 

I look at him and say, “I know, but it’s not your fault.” We decided to watch Netflix and game a bit, but I wanted to go out and order something since I wanted to order some food in the opposite way! I remembered mom’s warning, but didn’t mind it. I left to go with JJ to an Olive Garden. We ordered everything the opposite way! When we got back about an hour later, I got a call. It’s from my mom. 

She says, “Hi honey. I am ok! Don’t worry about me, I just fainted! Just remember, STAY INSIDE.” A little late I guess. Me and JJ go back to watching Netflix and eating ice cream. Then we hear the doorbell ring. I go up to the door and answer it. No one is there… 

JJ calls out to me “Who was it, Luna??” 

“No one!” 

“Really?”

“Probably just a ding dong ditch.”

“Oh yeah, probably. Come back here, Luna!” 

“Ok. Coming!” About 6 hours later, we hear a super intense knock, so I start to get up and walk over to the door. No one is there.

 “Again?!” I exclaim.

 JJ says, “Again?! Really?!”  We went back to watching Netflix and gaming. 4 hours later, we hear intense knocking. Again I go to answer the door. Of course, no one was there. As I was about to leave, I heard the knock again. I opened it. HAH! Caught the person in action! The person freezes and looks at me. They have a hood that makes their face black from the shadow and red eyes. I scream as it launches at me, it says something. I heard JJ run down the stairs and grab me before the creature could grab me. 

“LUNA! Are you ok?!” He exclaimed. I am in shock, but shake it off. He hugs me.

 “Are you ok?”

 I look at him, “I-I d-don’t k-know.” He looks at me hard for a while, and hugs me harder. 

“Who… Was that?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, I want to know.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t like it, when people mess with you, Luna.”

My eyes grow big, “Wait, what? Why?”

“Well, I care about you.”

“I care about you, too! The creature though, i-it said something.”

“What did it say?!”

“I-I-I don’t r-r-r-remember”  He came closer to me. 

“It doesn’t matter. I guess,” he hugs me. We both look outside as the sun starts to set, but this time in the east. My first Opposite Day was a failure. First, Mom faints, then I have an emotional breakdown, before I finally almost get kidnapped by who knows what/who!


May 01, 2020 20:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

22:04 Aug 26, 2020

I think that this was a super cute story! I thought it was awesome how you put an unique twist on the story!

Reply

22:21 Aug 26, 2020

I agree! Great job. This was a fantastic story!!

Reply

Ivy Spade
14:22 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ivy Spade
14:22 Sep 01, 2020

Thanks you! I tried to make a good twist!

Reply

16:22 Sep 01, 2020

No problem! You did a great job!!

Reply

Ivy Spade
15:18 Sep 03, 2020

Really! Awesome thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Lynn Penny
21:25 May 06, 2020

I liked the playful tone the story carried, nice job!

Reply

Ivy Spade
14:21 May 07, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:04 May 18, 2020

Awwww, I loved your characters! The story line is super cute, too, because it's Opposite Day (other than the bad things that happen). Keep writing and stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Ivy Spade
13:21 May 18, 2020

Thanks! I will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
19:47 May 12, 2020

This is an amazing story! Great, great job! You are super talented! Never stop writing! Stay safe! :)

Reply

Ivy Spade
20:19 May 12, 2020

Thanks so much! I won't!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pranathi G
14:22 May 03, 2020

Nice story! Can you read my story and give me feedback? It's called "THE TIME HAS COME." It's for the same contest. Thank you!

Reply

Ivy Spade
01:00 May 04, 2020

Thanks and sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.