0 comments

Fantasy Funny Kids

Pipa placed the chicken pot pie in the oven looking forward her Saturday night date with Tobias, this is the first time she's cooked for him and she is simply giddy. It really doesn't take much for Pipa to be happy though, and her happiness is infectious. She can light up a room with a flash of her smile. It radiates from within and has the ability to touch everyone in the room. This is also the first Pipa has made a pot pie, she chose it because of it's said ability to envelop the heart, and make even the coldest ones melt. Not that Tobias has a cold heart, he's the first relationship Pipa's had since her disastrous break up a year ago, and he's assuaged her of all her fears with his kindness.

"That should do it." She says as she closes the oven door.

Her hair is still wet from the shower and wrapped in a towel. She wears a slip as not to mess up the spring dress she's chosen for tonight's rendezvous. The pep in her step springs on bare feet as she makes her way to her vanity to don her makeup and unravel her mane. Her eyes twinkle as she thinks of the evening ahead. She thoughtfully untwists the towel and lets the ends of her hair tickle her shoulders. As she holds the towel in her hands and feels it's dampness. Then with a flip of her wrists she tosses it in the air, and holds her palms flat beneath it. It hovers it in the air as beams of light emit from her palms, hoisting, warming and evaporating the moisture from the towel. Slowly she lowers the light waves into her palms, descending the towel into them. She nuzzles her face into the towel then shimmies its warmth to her hair and neck.

"Dryer fresh." She giggles.

Her hands, as warm as her smile, have been a blessing and a curse for her. This is because the ability stems from a place that keeps Pipa happy on even the darkest days. She can to part the clouds during a storm, and still see the beauty in the storm. How is this a curse? Well, not all beauty is kind, and in her desire to find love and to love, Pipa's turned the tiniest speck of charm into a work of art in some pretty unsavory characters.

"Ecck." Pipa sounds like she's coughing up a hairball just thinking of her ex Axle. She blew off his disposition to cut her off mid-sentence during conversations, but the worst was yet to come.

The timer goes off in the kitchen, and since light rays have the ability to levitate objects, (especially Pipa's) she merely sends a beam of light to push the oven's knob, and continues to apply her eye makeup. When she is finished she quickly styles her hair, (she likes it a little tousled) then slips on her saffron spring dress. She stands to examine herself and notices a waft in the air. It has a scent similar to a hearth that she likes to ignite on brisk autumn nights, using the tips of her fingers. Briefly, she thinks her rays have developed a life of their own before she remembers she must remove the pot pie from the oven because it takes some time for the heat to cool.

"Oh shoot!" She exclaims running to the oven.

She tosses on her mitts and pulls out her slightly charred favor.

"It's not so bad." She says to herself as she places the pie on a cooling rack.

She delicately removes two white wine glasses from her cabinet and places them on the dining table. Then she takes two candlesticks out of a drawer in places them in the center. Just as she is headed to retrieve two candles, she notices something is amiss. There are tell-tell scratch marks on her window. Pipa runs to her home office to check on the work she has there. She's a greeting card writer, her cards allow people to share love, hope, and understanding, and he couldn't stand it, he hated what she does for a living, and low and behold her cards are shredded.

"Ha ha ha." a maniacal laugh sounds behind her.

She turns around, and indeed it is her ex Axle Gash, or should I say Rip-Tear the Terrible, as he is wretchedly dressed in his villain costume. Which consists of torn black spandex and chains of blades.

"I thought I was rid of you when I left you in a heap of flames in Mongolia, you incessant virus!" Pipa spits fire.

"I can be quite resilient when necessary, you should know that." He hisses.

"No doubt you used your common criminal skills to break into my apartment."

"I can't remember that as something you used to mind."

"There's no need to throw it in my face! I regret I was ever with you every waking day!"

"You could have done worse Ms. Pipa Morrow."

"That's Ms. Peppy Supreme to you!" Pipa raises her hands to the heavens and summons a blaze of light that surrounds her, then voila! She is in full Peppy Supreme regalia, which is mostly golden spandex with a cape.

"As if that yellow dress weren't blinding enough…" Rip-Tear mutters before he is thrown back into the dining area with a flash from Pipa.

"Get out of your own accord or I'll get you out!" She exclaims.

Rip-Tear throws a blade at her, which narrowly misses her and plunges into the wall, and hangs there. She is off-balance from dodging it when mis-shoots a beam at him that sends her dining table chair whirling before it hits the ground. Rip-Tear jumps over the chair and bounds into the kitchen where he slides one of his blades under her pot pie balances it on the tip.

"Plans tonight?" He grins wickedly.

"Put… My… Pot… Pie…Down." Peppy seethes.

Rip-Tear tosses the pie in the air and Peppy catches it with a ray. Taking advantage of her divided attention Rip-Tear hurtles another blade at her which she escapes by propelling herself with a flash from her unoccupied hand, and swiftly lowers the other to set the pie back down on the counter.

Rip-Tear rushes back to the dining room table withdraws another knife and motions as if he is going to annihilate her setting.

"If I didn't know better I'd say you're jealous." Peppy fires.

"Your sunshine is way too bright for me." He lifts the large shank above his head when Pipa notices something.

"Wait!" She shouts, "Why are we behaving like this, we used to be friends, I'm sure there's a middle ground, I won't mess with your evil-doing, and you… You could stay out of my house."

She sees Rip-Tear begin to process her words and speedily hurls a flare of light to his raised blade, which refracts to the blade stuck in the wall, which re refracts into Rip-Tear's eyes blinding him. It is precisely this blindness that allows Pipa to fully raise her half lifted window with a burst of light, and send him hurtling down the fire escape.

Once Peppy believes she's heard him plunk down enough flights of the fire escape, she bolts to the window and sticks her head out, to see if he's out of sight. Just then her door buzzes, Tobias is downstairs. She gets out of her window, swoops her hands above her head, and once again is illuminated by light. When the illumination fades she is back her spring dress. She rushes to the buzzer.

"Come on up." She says into the intercom, then hurries to straighten up the dining table.

Tobias knocks on the door and calm Pipa opens it. Tobias stretches out a bouquet of daffodils to her.

"Daffodils! My favorite." She kisses him on the lips and ushers him in.

"Is everything okay?" Tobias asks.

"Of course, why would you suggest it's not?

"I had to buzz a few times, I got worried."

"Oh, I was just… Drying my hair, I must not have heard you at first, please sit down, I've made something special for you."

Tobias takes a seat at the table and Pipa heads to the kitchen. She returns to the table with her pot pie.

"I'm afraid I left it in the oven too long and it's slightly overcooked." She says placing it on the table."

"Well, you made it special for me so let me be the judge of that, sit down."

Pipa takes a seat and Tobias takes a knife from the table and slices a piece placing it onto his plate. He then takes a bite.

"It's delicious, even more so with the little extra heat."

Pipa Smiles and relaxes in her chair.

"let me cut you a piece." Tobias bends over the pot pie to cut Pipa a slice when she hears a commotion coming from her fire escape.

"Oh I almost forgot, there's a bottle of white wine in the fridge, would you go get it and open it for me."

"Of course."

Tobias goes to the kitchen and Pipa turns to see Axle has managed his way back up her fire escape. She blasts him with light and sets his hair on fire, sending him sprinting back down the escape way. Tobias steps out of the kitchen, with a bottle of wine.

"Let me pour." He says stepping to take her glass, but he halts noticing something above her head.

"Why is there a blade stuck in your wall?"

"Oh it's just something I was trying out for a while." She smiles.

The End  


March 14, 2020 03:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.