24 comments

Creative Nonfiction Inspirational Happy

My left arm is sore as I pass the collection plate, because Phil playfully slugged me again… because I look like my sister.


Technically, she looks like me – I’m older – though we don’t resemble as much as we did when we were younger. Back then, we were often assumed to be twins. At my mother’s church these days, though, we are rarely seen together, and so at my annual Thanksgiving visit, I often get mistaken for her, since she’s a four-times-per-year “regular.”


She and Phil must have a special relationship, and he must have vision issues, because this is the fourth year in a row he has done that to me. Caught off guard, I chuckled and corrected him the first year, but I’ve just let it go since then. Mom says I’m welcome to slug Jessica next time I see her, and say “Phil says hello.” I swear I will! (Unfortunately, it will have to be next year, because church is the last thing Mom and I do before I leave for the airport to fly back home.)


In fact, as we leave the atrium after services, we pass Phil’s wife; we giggle as we’re relating to her his annual faux pas. Mom and I hit the ladies’ room before heading out, and there is a contrite Phil by the vestibule door as we exit. “Hello, Wendy,” he says, downcast, “Sorry.” I immediately feel terribly for him, realizing the chewing-out she probably gave him, though we really meant the ribbing in good fun. 


“Are you kidding? Mom says I can just slug Jess to pass it on, which I think is great… here, get the other arm, and I’ll pass it on twice!” He does, and we all get a good laugh out of it. (He punched harder this time - what is wrong with this guy?! Good grief man, there’s a limit!) I don’t often go to this church, but every year I remember how much I like the people here: they really are such a lovely and easy-going bunch… even Phil.


~~~


But that isn’t the story I want to tell you about this trip, just a tangential vignette that amused me. See, I was born in Lincoln and lived there most of my life, so I still consider it to be my home. I now live half-a-country away, but the great thing is, every year, Mom holds our family celebration the weekend before Thanksgiving. She’s done this all our lives, so that as we children became adults and had our own families, we could celebrate the actual holiday without torn loyalties or lots of unnecessary strategizing and travel drama. She’s always thoughtful like that, about everything. 


For me, it also means much easier travel, now that I am so far away: no fighting the overpacked airports on the actual holiday weekend, for which I am grateful. I get in on a Friday, we have the big family dinner (30 people, this year!) on Saturday and spend the day together enjoying one another’s company, then breakfast and church Sunday with mom and Gene. Then poof, I’m gone for another year, like a 3-day Persephone in paradise. 


Despite the big family I mentioned, and my genuine affection for every last one of them, it is a blended family, so the bare bones portion of it is only the three of us. Mom married a wonderful man (Gene) when she was in her 50s and we and his children were already grown. I love them like my own family, but it isn’t like the ones who saw you graduate, knew your first heartbreaker, and waited at the hospital that time you nearly died. 


There were more of us, of course. The closest ones to the three of us were Dad and Grandma H (Dad’s mom). Of the four who weren’t me, I was actually closest to Dad and Grandma, and Jess and Mom were the closest to each other, but no fault: there were the black sheep trio and the white sheep duo, but we loved each other all the same. 


Grandma H was, in fact, my favorite person in the whole world, ever. She was a nut, and I get my wickedness and bawdy sense of humor from her. She died the year the towers came down, which was four years after Dad died. For years I missed her every single day, then fortunately less, over time. Sometimes now, months will go by without me remembering to miss her. The grief has grown softer over time, too. A lot of what I remember now even makes me smile and laugh outright rather than feel sad that she’s gone, so I am reaching a much better stage. I think some of you reading this may know and feel what I mean about this path of loss; I pray that at least some of you don’t and never will.


~~~


And praying brings us back full-circle to this church visit, because there is one more vignette from my trip this year: another person who thinks I am Jessica is a lovely lady named Angie. Most of these people I remember from prior visits, but I believe we may not have met before. She asks me if I have come up just to enjoy the cold. It doesn’t occur to me that she thinks I am the other sister (Jessica lives in Texas), but rather that she is misplacing me geographically, so I say “Well, down, anyway!” and we laugh; she goes on to visit with some others nearby. 


A bit later, Angie comes back, profusely apologetic, and admits her error. I of course say “No problem, it happens all the time!”. It’s actually quite flattering, since Jess is frankly admirable in many ways that I would love to be. 


Making up for the awkwardness, Angie goes on to relate that she was talking to Jessica the last time she was in, and found out our maiden name. She says it was so neat, because she hadn’t realized that we were Patricia Haverly’s granddaughters. “She was my favorite teacher of all time!”


Grandma H last taught school probably 40 years ago, now. My heart is bursting to capacity at such a lovely sentiment -- a true gift -- from out of the blue. Had Jessica not been there more often to have that conversation with Angie, I know that Angie and I never would have found the connection. And had Angie not mistaken me for Jess, it probably never would have come up in segue. Grandma H may not be at Thanksgiving anymore, but she is still here. Still here, and still everywhere.

November 21, 2022 23:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Edward Latham
14:00 Nov 22, 2022

I like the style Wendy, it read like the narrator was actually speaking to you in a conversational way! A sweet story!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:21 Nov 22, 2022

Thank you so much for reading, and for the encouragement!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Bell
07:26 Nov 22, 2022

You may look like Jess, but obviously she got the armour-plated shoulders! :) A very neat, sweet, unexpected, satisfying catenation. And I always like a family where the black sheep outnumber the white.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
11:57 Nov 22, 2022

That cracked me up! :) Thanks very much, Jack, for the laugh and for the compliment and encouragement!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
02:09 Nov 22, 2022

Cool. Using vignettes to introduce new characters in a 3000 word story is actually very interesting.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
02:10 Nov 22, 2022

Hey, Tommy! Thanks very much for the kind words, and for dropping by. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Gygi
20:12 Nov 30, 2022

I liked this a lot. Reminded me of some of my own family celebrations. I like the creativity of celebration with the family a week early and not having everyone dealing with the holiday travel issues.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
12:37 Dec 01, 2022

Thank you, Michael! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:41 Nov 30, 2022

Wendy, I adore the line about grief growing softer over time. Beautiful and poignant how a moment can be a thoughtful gift.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
16:47 Nov 30, 2022

Thank you so much, Mackenzie! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mark Linsky
22:57 Nov 28, 2022

Nicely done, Wendy. The ending was perfect and understated. Enjoyed it. Thanks for your comments on 'Maggie', so glad you got a laugh out of it. M.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:24 Nov 28, 2022

Thanks for your kind words and for giving it a read, Mark. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:44 Dec 01, 2022

Catenation is a good title for this story of connections. It's obviously about the direct connections, since it's about family coming together for (pre) Thanksgiving, and it's about remembering those members of the family who are no longer with us. (And now I wonder about the word remembering. Re-membering members who we lost? I wonder if there's an etymology here dealing specifically with people.) But families don't exist in vacuums. They touch their communities, and are in turn touched by them, often in unexpected ways. Phil is one, thro...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:06 Dec 02, 2022

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review my story, Michał! Your words are so very appreciated and heart-warming. Sometimes, I think the best smiles we get come from being understood. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
23:49 Nov 30, 2022

Why does Phil punch people in the arm anyway. If you’ve made the mistake once and you keep doing it then you’re obviously into the pain it causes. Having the holiday ahead of time is a good move to get everyone together is a great idea. I’m going home to see my parents for the first time in three years. Saying The Towers should be too vague but everyone will know exactly what you mean, strange how they’re so iconic now even after. It’s nice to read about gratitude to teachers. Too often teachers are undervalued or even made out to be lazy...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:57 Nov 30, 2022

Apparently he and Jessica have it as a funny thing between them, I guess! I'm wearing *actual* barbwire tattoos, next year. ;) I hope you have a wonderful time with your folks! Three years feels so long, doesn't it? But I know how life gets, too. It is the same for me.

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:14 Dec 01, 2022

“Apparently he and Jessica have it as a funny thing between them,” is that a kink? Odd to me. Especially when it’s at the point that it hurts.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:16 Dec 01, 2022

Agreed, but hey - that's church! *grin*

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:37 Dec 01, 2022

To each their own I guess. Live and let live.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Richard E. Gower
21:26 Mar 14, 2023

Since I've been on Reedsy, I've gotten into the habit every couple of days of randomly e-leafing through the shorts of past contests (sort of like an electronic version of dropping in to the used book store) as well as pieces by Reedsy people I'm following, to look for a pleasure-read or two, at the end of a workday. This story brought tears to my eyes in a couple of places; for a couple of reasons. The first was at this sentence: "For years I missed her every single day, then fortunately less, over time." My Grandmother was a huge influenc...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:04 Mar 14, 2023

Thank you so much! It always brings a smile to me when I see your name pop up on my feed. I really appreciate your support and encouragement more than I can express! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:13 Dec 19, 2022

I loved this chatty account. What intrigued me is identifying with the character being like her sister. My first husband had a brother who looked like him. The brother used to get beaten up by mistake because people hated my ex. I also have a sister like myself. beside each other we do not look alike but so many people tell me I look like her. My answer is "Yes I know but don't tell her that. She hates it." Her reply is, "No I don't!" I've been hugged by her friends even. So many things about us are the same except the family descriptions of...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
13:47 Dec 19, 2022

Isn't it funny how interwoven and interconnected we are as related adults, even by things outside of our control? I think it is pretty fascinating, what makes family, family. Thank you for taking the time to read and for your lovely comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
01:37 Jun 06, 2023

very good.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.