54 comments

Fantasy

You see, I woke up and the snow was blue.

The snow was a bright baby blue.

Why was the snow blue?

No Idea.

I mean, there was no way that something I’ve known my whole life could just change one day.

Or could it... 

Oh gosh, now I’m just sounding delusional I really need some sleep.

This is probably just a bad dream.

---

I look over my diary entry in confusion. 

I wrote it last night. 

Jesus I must have been tired.

I don't even remember writing that!

Snow is not blue.

I mean, unless you put blue dye in it or something? But who the heck would do that.

Only a crazy person.

I brush away my curtains to glance at the world outside. 

To see if the snow has actually transformed.

I feel a rush of anticipation as the cloth of the long curtain gathers in my hands. What if the vision I wrote yesterday wasn't just a weird dream. What if…

With a jerk I woosh the curtains away from the small window.

The snow is not blue.

Of course.

Why would it be?

“Snow is not blue.” I whisper to myself while I shake my head.

I throw the writing in my notebook away.

I must have been delusional.

---

I decide to walk to work today so I can enjoy the snow. Get some sun this winter season.

The snow sure isn't blue, but it’s phenomenal all the same. Even though I know it’s cold outside, I can't help but feel like it’s a warm summer day and I am trudging through overgrown grass and not hills of snow.

Rather than feeling cold and frozen on the long walk to work, oddly, my body is warm.

Very warm.

Hot even.

I don’t feel a trace of cold. I was probably getting sick or something. 

It’s no matter.

I’m still going to attend work, this is no excuse. I am not one to make excuses.

But then again, you're also not one to imagine strange things… my brain points out.

I shake the thought away.

The walk to my office building is two miles away from my house. Not a bad little morning snippet of exercise if I do say so myself. It keeps me at least somewhat healthy and a little fit. But today it feels shorter, like i'm only walking a few blocks.

Weird.

In what seems like no time at all I am sitting at my boring desk. Not much ever happens here.

Nothing interesting anyhow.

---

When I leave work later that day, everything just seems off in a way. People all over the streets are running in specific directions with hoodies covering their faces. Usually I could tell if their scared, terrified, or just need to get somewhere fast based on their expressions.

Not today.

Today I can’t see the expressions. 

I felt left out. I was the only person on the streets without a hoodie, and not running. 

I hated feeling like this.

I felt a need to fit in.

And so I ran to the nearest store and grabbed a hoodie to buy.

“Hi! I would like to purchase this hoodie.” I said to the cashier.

Who was also wearing a hoodie.

He stared at me for a moment. A shadow was covering his face. It hit at the perfect angle, so I couldn't see it.

“Hello?” I said after a moment of awkward silence.

He took a sharp breath in.

“Come... follow us to the world of faces.” he mumbled.

“Huh?”

The light washed over his face.

Except, he had no face.

Just skin.

---

I awoke with beads of sweat clinging to my skin for dear life.

So it was all a dream.

Of course it was.

People definitely had faces.

Life was definitely normal.

---

I went through a day of work once again.

Except today wasn't boring.

It was actually quite the opposite.

Work was interesting and when I got home, there was somebody there watching me. He was tall and handsome, but in a creepy sort of way.

I looked out the window to see if he had a car. Maybe he was just here to visit.

I found no car, but the view was perfect.

Too perfect.

There wasn't even one indent in the snow that surrounded me. The snow that I had just walked on.

The snow hadn't fallen from the sky all day.

Which means…

I never left footprints...

This was not right.

---

I woke up again, but this time I was unsure of what was dream and what was reality.

There was a surgeon in front of me.

I was in a hospital of sorts.

“Are you real?” I asked him.

He laughed.

“For now.” he said.

I took an inventory of the room, but stopped short when I realised...

My mother was lying in a bed next to mine.

My mother who had died five years ago.

She was breathing steadily.

“Mom?!”

“Shh.” the surgeon said. “She’s under the serum as you will be soon.”

“Huh?”

I pinched myself and it hurt.

Was this real?

The surgeon pulled out a large shot.

“I will now inject you,” he said. “Thanks again so much for helping us in our efforts.”

“What?! I never agreed to this!” I screamed.

“I know.” he replied sadly. “But your family was chosen five years ago and now you are property of science.”

I tried to argue, but he injected me with whatever he was holding before I could speak.

I was at home.

But not my home.

When I ran outside, I tripped and fell.

Right into a fresh pile of strange snow.

Changed snow.

Blue snow.



January 10, 2020 18:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

54 comments

Amany Sayed
21:16 Apr 15, 2020

This was an AMAZING story that kept me guessing 'till the end. Do you have any advice for a beginner writer? PS. Thanks for liking my stories! :)

Reply

Cam Croz
22:39 Apr 15, 2020

Thank you so much! I'm not the greatest at giving advice, but I think that reading really helps a beginner writer to learn new techniques and figure out how to flow their writing. That's what helps me anyway... PS. your stories are very interesting!

Reply

Amany Sayed
22:57 Apr 15, 2020

Thanks for the advice! Also I'm glad my stories are interesting. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Allie Pittman
18:24 Jan 17, 2020

That was fun to read! And so creepy!

Reply

Cam Croz
14:18 Jan 31, 2020

Thanks! thats what I was going for!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yoomi Ari
17:15 Jan 16, 2020

I have read all of your brilliant stories and to this date, your stories top the lot! 👍🏻 No need to give luck when you don’t need any luck to create beautiful novels! If that makes sense🥴

Reply

Cam Croz
14:18 Jan 31, 2020

Thank a ton! This really means a lot to me!

Reply

Yoomi Ari
17:54 Jan 31, 2020

🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Synia Sidhe
14:44 Jan 16, 2020

Very good, you formatted it like a poem. Made it feel breathless and tense, like violins were shrieking in the background. How cool. Have you ever seen a hallucination while awake?

Reply

Cam Croz
14:18 Jan 31, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words! (Also, no I have not ever seen a hallucination while awake,)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:43 Jan 13, 2020

Gosh, I was reading this with my sister and she said it was wonderful. I think it is beautiful. I mean blue snow? Cool.

Reply

Cam Croz
18:49 Jan 13, 2020

THANKS a ton!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
20:27 Oct 28, 2020

Wow. Talk about surreal. Reminds me of the Calvin & Hobbes' comic strip where Calvin wakes up, gets dressed for school, walks outside his house and falls off a cliff, then he wakes up again, and something else happens (I don't remember what), and then he wakes up a third time. His mother is calling to him, telling him to get up and get ready for school. He pulls the blanket up to his face and looks scared, as if wondering, "Is *this* the real world? Or am I dreaming again?" Btw, if ghosts can have blue eyes (the late Emily Bronte s...

Reply

Cam Croz
05:33 Oct 29, 2020

Ive honestly not read much Calvin and Hobbes' but that spunds super intriguing! As did your insight to the fictional world of weather! very interesting. 😂

Reply

Philip Clayberg
17:20 Oct 29, 2020

When it gets late at night, my imagination happily goes off on whatever tangent it chooses to go on. Which is probably why it's easier for me to write stories and poems late at night, and then edit them in the daytime when I'm more awake. Emily Bronte did write a poem where she described a ghost as having blue eyes (I just don't remember which poem). Unlike people about 10 years younger than me, I didn't grow up on Calvin & Hobbes. I grew up on Pogo, the Addams Family drawings, New Yorker cartoons, Doonesbury, Peanuts, Bloom County, ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:25 Jul 28, 2020

AWEEEEESOME

Reply

Cam Croz
19:47 Nov 02, 2020

haha thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
00:36 Apr 22, 2020

I really loved the amazing story!!! Good job and keep writing :)

Reply

Cam Croz
01:46 Apr 22, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Laiba M
11:28 Apr 22, 2020

You're welcome, Cam! By the way, your name is really interesting :D

Reply

Cam Croz
14:39 Apr 22, 2020

Really!? Thanks again I guess! I like my name too!

Reply

Laiba M
16:02 Apr 22, 2020

Haha, you're welcome again :)

Reply

Cam Croz
16:14 Apr 22, 2020

😂

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Imogen Bird
22:24 Apr 15, 2020

Oh this is beautiful and so intriguing. I saw someone in this comment section saying they were missing your stories. I've been through a lot of confidence issues with my writing but this place seems great to get a small slice of reality, that people actually do want to read what you write. And I certainly want to read more of what you write! See you in the next contest?!

Reply

Cam Croz
22:46 Apr 15, 2020

Sure! I just posted a new story for Contest #37 (took a bit longer than I thought but hey I finished it!) And thank you a bunch!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:28 Apr 07, 2020

Beautiful story. Seriously, l miss your stories. Where are you?

Reply

Cam Croz
14:38 Apr 07, 2020

Thank you so much! And sorry if i'm not writing on Reedsy as much anymore! It's really hard to find time these days!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:08 Apr 07, 2020

Hey Cam. It's been a while. Miss your stories

Reply

Cam Croz
19:48 Nov 02, 2020

Thank you! <3 I am trying to write sometimes lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Millie Spence
16:46 Apr 05, 2020

Wow! I loved this. It was such a fascinating read.

Reply

Cam Croz
18:29 Apr 05, 2020

thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Afrin A
12:51 Apr 01, 2020

This gave me the spooks ...Superb writing. I was wondering if you could check out my story if you have the time ?

Reply

Cam Croz
20:24 Apr 02, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:23 Mar 19, 2020

I liked the story as a whole, the pace is nice and quick. However, I did find that all of the short sentences made it feel a bit choppy, maybe that was intentional? The best part about it is that you've done a good job of confusing the reader, you made me wonder what was a dream and what was real.

Reply

Cam Croz
18:00 Mar 31, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback! I re-read over the story and did notice a few parts that were a bit too choppy for what I was writing. It was only meant to be a little choppy to show the bursts of confusion. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yoomi Ari
21:46 Jan 28, 2020

I love how your story is formatted so well that it is easier to feel the characters emotions and be a part of the story!

Reply

Cam Croz
14:19 Jan 31, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Yoomi Ari
23:15 Mar 22, 2020

Haven’t seen a lot of you’re stories... missing my daily dose🥺 But seriously, are you okay, well? Especially during this time.

Reply

Cam Croz
16:28 Mar 31, 2020

It makes me so happy to hear somebody missing my stories! Thank you! It really means a lot to me, Iv'e been doubting my writing for a while, and its really heartwarming to know that at least some people enjoy it! 💕 As for my current state, yes i'm perfectly fine, for now anyway... 😁 iv'e just had less and less time for my writing for a while. Its hard for me to find free time. Again, thanks so much for believing in my stories!!! 💖

Reply

Yoomi Ari
16:34 Mar 31, 2020

❤️ your stories. And when you have stories like yours, who needs a 🧠. Weird, I know. 🤪 Good to know you’re fine and well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Carol Coupland
00:42 Jan 16, 2020

I liked this. Great mixture of emotion and all tidied up at the end.

Reply

Cam Croz
02:25 Jan 16, 2020

thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roha Khan
09:37 Jan 15, 2020

A definition of aesthetic

Reply

Cam Croz
02:25 Jan 16, 2020

True!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jenna Williams
00:07 Jan 11, 2020

Really cool idea! I like how you did some creepy-ish stuff, some funny stuff, and a lot of expressed personality.

Reply

Cam Croz
14:34 Jan 11, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phoenix's Fire
19:07 Nov 02, 2020

oh my god, this is so amazing! I feel like you should to a follow-up or something, I really liked this, it really had a doctor who vibe

Reply

Cam Croz
19:48 Nov 02, 2020

Thank you! Ive never even seen Doctor Who lol, XD maybe someday...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
06:33 Feb 12, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Cam Croz
14:36 Apr 07, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.