67 comments

Fiction

Just a little bit of background: I wrote a story a couple weeks ago, and people really seemed to enjoy it. So here I am, making a part 2 (It's about what led up to Callie creating the portal). Hope you guys enjoy!



Fortune tellers.


All this hanky-panky palm reading and crystal ball seeing is starting to get to me.


Don't get me wrong, it's a fun experience and all, but I've just never really cared about what they say.


For instance, one told my mother that I was "destined for greatness" and "going to make the world a better place."


That's funny. I could never do that.


Don't believe me?


I'm that junior in high school that comes to school in sweatpants and a stained sweatshirt everyday. The one who has a 4.8 GPA and wears glasses. The nerd.


I've gone through a lot of glasses in the past three years.


Even Ben, my best friend (also captain of the varsity football team; super athletic), can't stop everybody from breaking my glasses. That'd be like beating up half the grade.


In case you didn't guess already, I'm not too popular.


So yeah.


I'm not quite "change the world" material.


And yet, since I was a baby, my mother has been telling me non stop how I'm going to make the world a better place, how I'm going to be rich and famous.


My younger sister is a freshman and still more popular than me. She enters beauty pageants, wins, and brushes it off casually. How come I couldn't be the pretty one?


It's all right. She's a dumb blonde, and I'm the smart blonde.


Once again, I don't fit into many stereotypes.


So how the heck am I supposed to change the world? Time's ticking, my mother says. Don't rush it, I say.


She rushes me non stop.


Kind of like I'm rushing to tell you all of this.


Look, I've been told my whole life that I am "destined for greatness" and yet I have no clue how I'm supposed to do that. Some hero this world is gonna get.


They'd better start being able to live on Mars soon.


Wanna know why?


Instead of saving the world, I'm probably gonna find a way to blow it up or something.


Typical Callie.


If I'm being totally honest, I'm afraid to admit the fortune teller was right.


All of that pressure, all of the building up, is on me.


I have to change to world.


I have to make it better.


But I'm almost done being a kid. One year left, and I'd like to enjoy it. I don't want to focus on making the world better quite yet, but I don't want to wait too long, either.


No more making Christmas cookies with Mom, no more late-night sleepovers with friends, no more ignoring the fact that I will have to have a job one day, and have to pay bills and taxes. That's too much.


As a kid, I always felt looked down on by adults. But now, as reality sets in, I wish I could stay one forever. No worries, no money problems, no responsibilities.


So while I'm trying to be a kid while I can, I'm constantly told how I need to make the world a better place.


I'm so confused.


That's why I'm headed to the exact fortune teller who read my small palm 17 years ago.


***


Of course, I haven't told my mom I would be here. I need to do this on my own. But it would help to have somebody for support. All that is going through my head right now, as I am slowly pushing back the beaded curtains, is to get in, get an answer, and get out.


I enter, and wrinkle up my nose. It smells of cat pee, but whoever is here tried (and failed) to cover it up with perfume.


I try not to gag.


"Ah, welcome, Callie," a woman's voice calls; it has a heavy French accent. I whip my head around. Great. I'm supposed to make the world better, and a random ju-ju lady already knows my name before I even speak to her.


We're off to a great start.


"Madame...Propulele?" I start, unsure of how to pronounce her name.


"Yes, yes. Now sit down, child, you're wasting my time," she says, quickly pulling up a chair for me to sit on before resuming her spot in a wooden stool across from me.


She continues, "I assume you are 'ere about how to make ze world a better place, and save it from being overtaken by mindless zombies, blah, blah?"


I blink my eyes. She stares at me.


"Oh, dear goodness. Have you not figured zat part out yet?" Her black hair falls in front her make-up covered eyes, and she flicks it back.


"Stupid beaded hair. Honestly, fortune tellers need a better sense of style. But Madame Propulele must fit in with ze others, you see.


"Shall we continue?"


I nod my head slowly. "You're saying that not only am I to make the world a better place, but I have to save it from zombies, too?"


This time, it is Madame Propulele's turn to nod her head, but she does so enthusiastically. "Wonderful! Now zat you understand, pay ze five dollars and get out of my sight. Good day to you."


And with that, she yanks the five dollar bill out of my hand and shoves me out the beaded doorway.


I didn't even see what she really looked like.


Well, not only do I now know that I have to make the world better, but I have to save it from zombies, too.


Some great weekend this turned out to be.


***


Guys, I really need help.


My life is so messed up. No matter how smart I may be, a book doesn't tell you how to save the world.


How do the zombies get here in the first place?


How am I, a single 17-year old girl, supposed to stop an army of mindless, gurgling freaks from taking over the world? To put that into perspective, that would be like a thousand me's running the Earth.


Wait...maybe...just maybe...


NO, CALLIE, NO.


So many things could go wrong.


You're probably wondering what the heck I'm talking about. I'm talking about the portal to another dimension that I could maybe possibly build.


You know, maybe.


I could bring in help from other dimensions to fight the zombies.


If I could build this so-called portal.


I'm pretty sure I'm smart enough.


There's just so many things that could go wrong...

October 06, 2020 23:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

67 comments

Metaxia Tzimouli
15:33 Oct 10, 2020

Hey! Part 3, perhaps?! Callie is a character whose development I would like to see, even though I like how you shaped her already, she's flawed, nerdy, in a way hapless to build a portal, but she has guts and drive, which make her entirely likable. Keep going! I love character-driven stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
KarLynn Erickson
02:18 Oct 08, 2020

This story is another great work of yours! It reads so easy. It's funny and I feel her teenage angst. I love it and can't wait for the next one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Greg Gillis
01:55 Oct 08, 2020

Very well written. I was enthralled by your descriptive writing. Very imaginative. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Suzi Zinn
00:54 Oct 08, 2020

Ok, great looking forward to reading this some more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Len Mooring
22:26 Oct 07, 2020

Wonderful, Zea. Just the right light touch, I know Callie can do it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
14:00 Oct 07, 2020

New story out! Its Fantasy!

Reply

Zea Bowman
14:04 Oct 07, 2020

Read and loved! ;)

Reply

Sia S
14:18 Oct 07, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Meggy House
12:51 Oct 07, 2020

Once again, this was an amazing sequel! I could literally read Callie's inner dialogue all day. You handled Callie feeling pressured without making it cliche and I really love your characterization of the fortune teller. Overall, this was really amazing. Thank you for inviting me! :)

Reply

Zea Bowman
14:05 Oct 07, 2020

Of course! Thanks for coming to read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sjan Evardsson
12:47 Oct 07, 2020

Well done prequel! Thanks (again) for the laughs. I get the feeling that you could continue to write these shorts and eventually pull them together in a novella or longer. I look forward to more Callie! Stay safe and keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sunny 🌼
12:09 Oct 07, 2020

Little does she know... Awesome story Zea, I LOVE Callie she's such a funny and sweet character.

Reply

Zea Bowman
14:05 Oct 07, 2020

Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ola Hotchpotch
09:06 Oct 07, 2020

Madam Propulele has already made her predictions and your Hero has already got an idea . Now this portal to another dimension is something. It's like time travel right? Now suppose you have forgotten something, you can be hypnotised and taken back to that period of your life and perhaps your Hero will start feeling the same emotion às before .But it's not sure shot. Nice story.keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:34 Oct 07, 2020

Another cute story, very enjoyable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
<inactive> .
06:01 Oct 07, 2020

YES. YES YES YES. GIVE ME MORE CALLIE. Threats aside, why is Callie so wholesome?! Like, in a evil genius kinda way?? I love the balance, and this was such a refreshing break from cliches!

Reply

Zea Bowman
14:06 Oct 07, 2020

Thank you so much! I love to hear it!

Reply

<inactive> .
18:06 Oct 07, 2020

No pressure, ofc! I can wait an eternity for part 3 if it means it will be just as amazing as parts 1 and 2 :)

Reply

Zea Bowman
01:43 Oct 08, 2020

Wow! I don't think you realize how much that means. Thank you so much.

Reply

<inactive> .
04:57 Oct 08, 2020

I do :) In these UNPRECEDENTED TIMES, writers need all the motivation they can get! If you ever feel sad, or are just stuck, you can always talk to me <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Simon Walter
04:23 Oct 07, 2020

I liked this one just as much as the first one. You write very well and the stories would be page turners (if there were pages to turn)

Reply

Zea Bowman
14:06 Oct 07, 2020

Lol! Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
02:34 Oct 07, 2020

Wowwww I loved itttt good job!!

Reply

Zea Bowman
19:17 Oct 07, 2020

Thanks :)

Reply

Sia S
02:28 Oct 08, 2020

happy to help

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
02:29 Oct 07, 2020

I loved the continuation! Or, er...beginning? Anyway... I felt like this was funny, and yet there was a serious undertone to it too. "As a kid, I always felt looked down on by adults. But now, as reality sets in, I wish I could stay one forever. No worries, no money problems, no responsibilities." This is such a great line. Really. Overall, I loved the story. It's wonderful. Will there be a sequel? Only time will tell...

Reply

Zea Bowman
02:30 Oct 07, 2020

Thanks so much! I do think I'll make a third, explaining how she made the portal and if anything happens between Callie and Ben ;)

Reply

<inactive> .
06:01 Oct 07, 2020

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CALLIE X BEN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
02:25 Oct 07, 2020

That was wonderful to read! I absolutely loved it! Your sense of humour is so on point, that I laughed out loud in some parts! The story had this whimsical tone, which I absolutely adore! Well done!!!

Reply

Zea Bowman
02:27 Oct 07, 2020

Thank you for coming back to check it out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.