0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Thriller

You would think a honeymoon on Mars would be the ideal trip for a newly married couple. However James and Heidi had to face the fact of spending a lifetime on the planet. Not to mention the heavy burden of repopulating the planet. 

The small dome-like homes were the ‘perfect’ housing opportunity for newly wed couples on Earth, so the products made by the Continuity Foundation matched them exactly. However these were set to five stories and there were three in a triangle formation at the home base Alpha. 

Life began well for the duo, they eventually unpacked and met an AI named Derek. He would assist in any medical situations they had as well as repair any technology. Derek was the friendliest of any model AI and seemed almost human when discussing things that involved deep empathy.

They would live here a year and await another group of transfers, however even the first few days were strenuous. Heidi had trouble adapting to the technology, James was enthralled in learning all he could about the base and it's operations. The two were getting along well together but individually had several issues. 

To James the base was an endless puzzle, rooms and entire levels that were blocked off and inaccessible as well as Derek seeming to show up wherever he was to divert him from what he was studying. 

Heidi experienced almost every malfunction possible so Derek was constantly with her. When James would tell of his days, Heidi assumed he was lying as the stories concerning Derek always happened at the same time Derek was busy helping her solve a hardware issue. 

James assumed that she was exaggerating how often Derek was having to stop and help her. This led to a disharmony between the two, that caused James to sink even deeper into investigating this base.

He found cameras, and microphones, but they had no contact with Earth, they had everything thy needed and there was no one to watch the video. He knew of no station where the cameras could be reviewed, and no one to ask except Derek, who had ignored his questions about the station and would instead just offer him cheese quesadillas.  

James was sick of the quesadillas and needed answers. He managed to get his hands on some materials that would break into the elevator in building C, the building that was mostly closed off except for the lobby. 

Heidi sees his attempts and tries to stop him, telling him he could cause damage to the station.

“Don’t worry we will just have Derek fix it” he exclaimed, continuing to prise open the door to the elevator. 

Once his bar was in between the doors and there was about three inches of give to it, the doors slowly opened, with Derek inside. 

“Hello, by now I’m sure you are curious about some areas of the base “Alpha”. Allow me to answer some of your questions.” Derek said, sounding almost human this time. 

The two followed Derek into the elevator and up they went to the fifth floor of building C. A door opened at the end of the hall and they began walking toward it. 

“We are about to be executed.” Said Heidi “I hate it here” She began crying

“NO, we will be fine. It's ok, they didn't bring us here to kill us.” James reassured their dire situation.

Derek then entered the doorway followed by the two. They looked at a large desk with several viewing monitors in front of two chairs. In the chairs sat two other people. 

“Hi, I’m Gene” The male stood and extended a hand. “And i’m Kelly” The female waved. 

“Hello” A simultaneous greeting with less enthusiasm came from Heidi and James. 

Derek began speaking, “The continuity foundation is more than a repopulation effort” He began moving around the room. “The foundation has to ensure that humans will live alongside one another in a peaceful manner. There is a set number of centuries that a human race must exist and to avoid any shortcomings we must be sure that we work out any and all evolutionary hindrances. The Furgusons here had many issues and they were eventually worked out, however when granted the position of observing you, the newcomers. Well new psychological problems resurfaced.” 

Derek began to press buttons on a machine and out popped a keypad which he fit onto the back of his hand and once again punched some numbers into. 

“As expected, the problems you had were worked out through the observations you made, your mission here is done and you will move on to the next level of observation.” Derek then patted Kelly on the back and she fell limp. 

“KELLY!” Gene yelled as Derek forced a handshake which caused the same effect to happen to Gene. He fell limp to the floor and once they were both down another Derek came from behind another door in the room. He began gathering Kelly and Gene and moving them with ease over his shoulders to the other room. 

“Now, take your seat Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs” Derek said, spreading a smile across his face. 

The two looked at each other with ghostly faces and followed directions, Heidi crying, and James began to study the equipment. 

Awaiting the next mission to Mars. 

The following year the two witnessed the capsule landing, Heidi had been awaiting the chance to lead someone to the room to open it and break the loop in this game. James wanted to understand the next level so he was ok with forcing the game to break as long as they went to the next room.

They had devised a plan, to get the other derek to enter the room they would have to be hit by the needle. So there was the problem with proceeding onward. If they could leave the room they may be able to escape through the capsule. As the newcomers became cosy, they began their operation. 

They soon learned they could speak through Derek, causing him to make motions and voice operations as they wanted him to.

Luring them was easy, they seemed to both be curious of the station and it's features. They made their way to the top floor, assisted by Derek. Once there, James initiate the second Derek to confront the intruder at the door. He did not comply, and James seemed to be shut out of the override commands.

Derek entered with the two new inhabitants, and as everyone stood blank and confused, James explained.

“I know this is weird, but we were not brought here to reproduce. We are some sort of human behavioral study and they are trying to weed out the bad genes for future colonies. I dont know if they kill you, I dont know if they study you, but what we know is that there were two others when we got here, and they were knocked out and taken to the back.”

“Once someone is knocked out the door opens and a second Derek comes out to take them away.” Chimed Heidi. 

“We are going to volunteer to be knocked out and Derek will take care of you. When we get beyond the door we will send a signal back here to let you know we are ok and tell you how to get in.” James finished.

The newcomers nodded in agreement. Then James went over to a small computing station and pressed a few keys. Derek approached the center station and outfitted himself with the small unit from before, then walked over to the newcomers. 

“Are you sure we are going to be ok?” Asked the male.

“Don’t worry, Derek will take care of you. He is very friendly.” Heidi reassured the two strangers.

Derek approached them and placed his hand on the females back, then the male. The two fell to the floor and the second Derek arrived. 

When the door opened the two dashed through to the other side, to the next level they went and they would not believe their eyes.

Stevens

September 18, 2020 23:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.