The Locked Door

Written in response to: Set your story in an unlikely sanctuary.... view prompt

169 comments

Horror Thriller Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.



Creaking slowly in the middle of the night was mom's door to her old bedroom. In the year 2021; she died on her closet floor, leaving no clues leading up to her death. Thus, investigators assumed it was a suicide. Every night mom's door opens, but I'm used to it by now... I feel like it's just for me, as if I'm supposed to go in when she unlocks the door. At night I hear her whisper, yet I can't make it out because it sounds scratchy, like when you are on the phone and the service is bad.

I don't sleep at night because I wait for mom to open the door. I go in and sit where she died. No one knows this because no one believes that mom is still around. They don't believe me. No, they call me mental and desperate. When I go beyond the locked door; her words are clear, and I can even feel my mom's loving embrace. We sit together and talk, my life feels normal again... but just as we are enjoying each other's company; the glee I feel takes a nightmarish turn as her eyes turn black as I watch her bleed out.

I then wake up in my bed as if nothing has happened, but it does not feel like a dream, and I know it can't be.

I cannot open the door during the day because it is locked, and I don't want to bust it down because that would defile my mother's place of demise. I don't know how the door got locked. I have an older sister named Madison. I've asked her about the mysterious door before, but she doesn't know either. She moved in with her boyfriend back in 2019. Just a year afterwards, Dad and mom divorced, so it was just mom and I at home.

However, I'm 18 now and all alone with mom who I only see at night. I wish I could be with her during the day too, but the locked door. I can often hear her during the day, but not everything I can make out. When I can understand what is being said, it is not always good. I have heard things such as, "Kill her like you did me", but who is "her", and I didn't kill anyone at least I think I didn't? The worry and confusion deepen but I cannot leave my mother behind.

I told my best friend Grace about everything that has been happening and without a pause she declared, "You need to talk to someone about all of this paranormal stuff immediately!". I agreed so she found me a therapist, her name was Randy Lindsey Stine. She told me I have hallucinations and memory loss. Hallucinations are when you see something from your head, but you think they are real like how I see my mom... but she is real! I know she has to be she opens the door at night to let me in.

It is November 20th, 2023, at 3:01am and I don't hear the door opening instead I hear the sounds of mom crying and talking to herself she spoke out softly to me, "It has been too long, it is time to tell her what happened".

What "happened" and what has "been too long"? I lay in bed and think about what I just heard so hard my brain feels like it's going to explode.

Moments later the door opens slowly slower than usual. I go in and sit the same spot I do every night. This time feels different. It is eerie. Then suddenly, I don't see mom's beautiful blue eyes; instead, I see dark red eyes deeper than a black hole and sharp white teeth! I try to run out but The Locked Door! She bites my shoulder one inch away from my neck. Then in a burst of fear I wake up, checking all over my body but she, or it, left nothing except for the memory.

All day I think about everything that has happened. That thing in my closet and Mom crying. I still can't understand anything, so I decide to just take a shower. As I step out of the shower, I dry off but before I go to wrap myself in it, I realize my blood is all over the towel. Coming out of my arm is the nastiest red I've ever seen. I wash the blood off of my arm and revel teeth marks. "They weren't there this morning" I thought to myself. This means I was right... I don't have hallucinations, and this is all real. I do see, feel, and hear her.

The next day I decided to share this with someone who might actually understand so I decided to go and visit Madison and Abram. They welcomed me in, but I know we all felt awkward because we have not spoken to each other since mom's death. Abram went to take their dog outside. I knew this was the perfect time to talk to Madison in private about mom and everything else that has been going on.

"I would like to talk to you" I asked.

she agreed "okay".

I said, "promise me you will not think I am crazy".

She promised, "I promise. just don't say anything ridiculous".

I took a breath and told her, "At night moms door opens and I can go in and see her". "Oh, shut up Ariana yeah right"! she yelled.

I frowned, "I'm not lying I do, and I can hear her talk to me both day and night".

She said calmly, "look Ari I miss mom too, but you don't see me talking to air, do you"? I answered, "Fine if you don't believe me than come over and spend the night".

She agreed, "okay but I'm bringing my boyfriend".

I replied, "okay that's fine".

At 9:00pm I went home bringing Madison and Abram with me. We did not tell Abram about why they were really spending the night. We just let him fall asleep.

At 2:59am the door squeaked open Madison says, "oh my god did it just open after like 2 years of being locked"? I say, "yes it does every night". We both walked in but then Madison did something I've never done and regret seeing. She turned on the lights it looked like something you would only see in a nightmare. There was blood leaking from the walls, the bedroom window was completely shattered, and some shards put in the wall, moms old bed looked like a dog got in. As terrified as we both are we sit in the closet with the lights on but mom doesn't appear but there is a mirror sitting in front of us "I've never seen this" I said. she says, "because you don't turn on the lights".

I look closer and there is a note with bloody fingerprints all over.

It says, dear Ariana it is time you know how I really died it was not suicide. Every night you come in here and you think your talking to me but you're talking into this mirror, this mirror holds a demon in it they call Kaizlee, by now she has possessed you every night she lures you in here and grab's your hand and tries to get you to get more people in here to kill like you did me at 3:30am the night I died you got me to come in the closet and murdered me the only way to leave you this note was to take a life.

A life? I turn around in horror after I see Madison with her eyes black and wide open, I start to cry and scream as she stars to bleed out. Now everyone knows our house as (the house with The Locked Door!)

May 17, 2022 01:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

169 comments

Kaizlees Stories
18:25 May 21, 2022

Hey

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
18:26 May 21, 2022

hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kaizlees Stories
18:25 May 21, 2022

Hey

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
18:26 May 21, 2022

hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kaizlees Stories
18:25 May 21, 2022

Hey

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rai .
20:43 Jun 07, 2022

Damn sussy 😫

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
20:46 Jun 07, 2022

LOL wow Rai

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nicole Of 2022
20:47 Jun 07, 2022

Already took my friends XDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rai .
20:48 Jun 07, 2022

WHATEVERRR ANYWAYS BUTTT!! how do I make a story?

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
20:51 Jun 07, 2022

Go to prompts at the top and when you click it chose a prompt and write at least 1000 words and press post

Reply

Rai .
20:51 Jun 07, 2022

Oka

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nicole Of 2022
20:52 Jun 07, 2022

Also um someone you follow is my friend from pa XDD midnight or sum

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 4 replies
Ruth Porritt
08:36 Jun 05, 2022

"When I go beyond the locked door; her words are clear, and I can even feel my mom's loving embrace." Hello Nikki, This line seems like poetry to me. I was very interested in this story, and am passing on the same critique that many readers (and writers) have given to me. This tale feels a bit rushed in the last part. I would let this story "breathe". What I mean is to let the atmosphere of dread you have created (with the excellent description) carry this whole piece. I don't think there needs to be a clear ending...if I were editing th...

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
17:02 Jun 05, 2022

Thank you!!! Awww that's my favorite line. Also, kind of wanted to rush the ending to leave confusion for a 2nd but the 2nd would be more understanding. Eh you might not get what I'm saying but THANK YOU for the critiques!! Thanks again -Nikki

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
08:11 Jun 05, 2022

Moby Dick?

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
16:57 Jun 05, 2022

XDDDDDDDDDDD NO LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
13:48 Jun 04, 2022

1. Thanks for making me your fav writer on here 2. Ig the emoji movie/book thingie is Romeo and Juliet? idk, me=weird

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
17:58 Jun 04, 2022

Lmaoooo yes!!!! np

Reply

Dhwani Jain
08:10 Jun 05, 2022

Am I correct?

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
16:57 Jun 05, 2022

I said yes!!!!! XD look at my bio

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:49 Jun 06, 2022

Yeah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nicole Of 2022
18:23 Jun 04, 2022

I just updated lol can you guess this one

Reply

Dhwani Jain
08:10 Jun 05, 2022

Lemme see

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
16:57 Jun 05, 2022

in the bio lol

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:49 Jun 06, 2022

XD Saw it

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
02:29 Dec 17, 2022

Remember

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Bradon L
21:30 May 29, 2022

Well, I’m frightened of closets now! 📖

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
23:31 May 29, 2022

Ahaha LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
01:35 May 27, 2022

📖

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
01:42 May 27, 2022

you've had that pfp for forever LOL

Reply

Lilliane Wei
00:15 May 30, 2022

It suits me well so why change it

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
00:17 May 30, 2022

oh pls dont lol i see ppl change everything then idk who they are and unfollow 😂😭 it definitely suits you though fr

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nicole Of 2022
00:20 May 30, 2022

i love your bio XDXD

Reply

Lilliane Wei
04:37 May 30, 2022

lol thanks, i'm planning on changing my pfp anyway. just looking around for inspiration. and thanks! i dont really know what to do with my bio tbh

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
05:00 May 30, 2022

Its hilarious never change the bio XD What kind are you looking for? Like anime or nature or birds etc.? Lol

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
18:25 May 26, 2022

Hey! Where are you? Why has Reedsy been so boring lately? (copy-pasting this to a lot of people as I'm BoReD)

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
21:43 May 26, 2022

LOL XD hey girl!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
10:53 May 27, 2022

Hey!

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
13:31 May 27, 2022

wryd lol

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:29 May 27, 2022

Nothing...

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
16:26 May 27, 2022

sounds fun

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phoebe DeNeve
20:12 May 25, 2022

Goodness, that ending gave me chills. Great story, though!

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
00:20 May 26, 2022

aha really??!! Thank you lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
02:45 May 24, 2022

Hey Nikki, That’s a scary old story… I didn’t see that end coming at all and it’s certainly a gruesome tale with plenty of shocks. If you want an opinion, I think I want to know more about the mother and learn about Ariana’s relationship with her. It would have intriguing to read something about the family and their life together before the death. I believe that if you included happy memories from Ariana’s childhood, they would act as a powerful counterpoint to the horror scenes. However, this doesn’t take anything away from your writing, I ...

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
05:14 May 24, 2022

Thank you for bringing that to light!! I was wanting to write a part 2 so I think my part 2 will be a jump to the past. I think I'll write it this week! Thanks again!!

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:24 May 24, 2022

Hey Nikki, The paranormal events in your story caught my eye and I wondered if you’d be interested in taking a read through my latest story because it touches on similar themes…. I’d love to get your thoughts Thanks HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
21:02 May 23, 2022

I listen to Twenty one pilots and NF!

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
21:09 May 23, 2022

NF IS SOOOO GOOD!!

Reply

Creed .
18:44 May 24, 2022

Have you heard 'How could you leave us'? It almost makes me cry every time.

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
20:18 May 24, 2022

Yes, it's one of my favorites! He's amazing fr

Reply

Creed .
17:13 May 25, 2022

Cool! Do you listen to Imagine Dragons?

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
17:37 May 25, 2022

Not really i like a few songs bye them though

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:59 May 22, 2022

Creepy, nicely done! 📖

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
14:38 May 22, 2022

Aha thank you, for the kind comment and reading my bio!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
03:05 May 21, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
05:09 May 21, 2022

yeah why? it's Shaylynn Skinner but yep I changed it to my middle name instead. I don't like the same things after a while Lol

Reply

Unknown User
07:15 May 21, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
08:52 May 21, 2022

mk lol why were you wandering XDXD

Reply

Unknown User
09:00 May 21, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
01:18 May 19, 2022

📖

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
22:33 May 19, 2022

aha shhh lol

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:19 May 20, 2022

Why?

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
05:04 May 20, 2022

no, no im kidding lol. Like for the ppl that don't know why you commented that XD

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:30 May 20, 2022

Ah! Gotchya! I am sorry you had to explain the 'joke'...I know how weird that feels....have to do it a lot sometimes

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
18:54 May 20, 2022

LOL XD yeah!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Miles Gatling
17:59 May 18, 2022

I remember your story, especially the bite and shower scene. Excellent plot twist, nice one.

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
18:00 May 18, 2022

Lol you remembered it?? That's so cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nicole's Stories
01:58 May 17, 2022

This is the best story I've ever read here on Reedsy! Like wow just-just- wow! YOU'RE SO TALENTED!!

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
01:59 May 17, 2022

That's so kind!! Thank you so much😁😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
11:51 May 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
15:00 May 19, 2022

LOL thank you!! I know right??!! some people were doing "adventurous," I'm just like... How?? Yours was also fantastic! Thanks again. 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.