A Hero: Beta's Introduction to her Mission

Submitted into Contest #82 in response to: Write about an android just trying to blend in with their human companions.... view prompt

24 comments

Crime Fiction Speculative

“Beta2021, you will be sent on this mission, to find who the thief is. We need that last piece, now. There are some guidelines and rules that you must follow, do you understand that?" 

“Beep. Boop. Bop.” 

“BETA2021! I told you, speak in English. Here, let me change that.” he bent down and clicked some buttons, swiping up and down. “There, now let’s try that again. Do you understand that?” 

“Si.” 

“No! This is Spanish! Ugh! There must be something wrong, something...malfunctioning inside. Let’s try this again, do you understand?” 

“Yes, Mister.” she finally spoke in English, which made Dallwall satisfied. 

“Hmm, good. Now, remember the rules? No letting anyone touch you, make sure you are not in contact with any water, don’t tell anyone who are, which is why I told you to not get in touch with anyone. Lastly, always stay focused. I programmed you to have emotions and look like a human, but remember, inside you are always an android, a piece of tech. Don’t make friends with anyone, no relationships, or anything. Try to blend in as best as you can, and don’t stand out. Don’t show any of your talents, because you will capture people’s attention. In other words, try to be as boring as possible. You got all of that?” 

“Why I transported your words into the vortex of my circulation system which is now—” 

“Another thing, talk like a human! Speak in normal words, can’t you?” 

“Ok dude! Yo, chillax man! YOLO!” Now brb, imma go and get something.” 

“That is way too much slang...remember, I am still your master.” 

“Sorry, master. What I mean is that my brain has processed everything you said, recorded it, and saved it in my brain. So, I promise, I will try to blend in with these homo sapiens.” 

“Oh, just...’humans’ will be fine, Beta. You will be sent tomorrow to a middle school tomorrow, and you will be put in the seventh grade. Just try to act like normal kids, do not be too smart in class, and don’t sign up for sports or any other extracurricular activities.” 

“Yes, master.” 

“Good. Now, tomorrow your investigation will start. After school, you must make sure, in that town, we find the guy we need. The guy who stole our invention. Your identification scanner should help you identify everyone and what exactly their background is. So, no need to worry about your safety, your reflexes which are built in your vortex circulation center should kick in.” 

“Well, what if someone finds out that...that I am not, you know, a human?” 

“You will make sure that it never happens. Do you understand that Beta? When you come home to your pod, your shelter, this center, you will go to the charging station and will be ready for tomorrow.” 

“Umm, okay.” 

“You should understand that this is the reason why you will not be allowed to invite anyone inside your ‘home’. Actually, for all humans, excluding me, will think that this is just a normal house, but for the rest of us it will be like a dome. Remember, Beta, you will not wander off anywhere, like going to someone else’s house, etc. You will have fatigue because you will lose your power for the day.” 

“Oh, I understand master. I will always follow the rules and be a normal human. But how much time do I have to find the criminal? Who stole the piece?” 

“You will have around a month or so. Why? You have no self-confidence?” 

“Umm...no! I mean, I do, but you did program me with the ability to be curious, so I was just wondering.” 

“Well, don’t wonder too much. No one likes snoops.” 

“I am sorry.” 

“No need to be, Beta, I think you will do simply fine in this mission. Remember, tomorrow you will be with my assistant, Maxwell, and he will settle everything for you on your first day, ok?” 

“O-ok, master.” 

Beta looked very tired. She was overwhelmed with all this new information she was getting from her master. All of this was making her brain—or rather her vortex cord hurt. Because the punishment is dangerous. The price is extremely high. Something no one would ever want to be in... 

✸✸✸  

“Remember, it is your first day at this new middle school. Got everything I said the day before?” 

“Y-yes. I shouldn’t make friends, not let anyone touch me or get in contact with water, not be too smart, get average grades, be an introverted extrovert, and...to try and act normal like the other kids in my grade. Is that all?” 

“Well, you forgot the main thing.” 

“Oh, yes! My task is to find out who we want to take in our custody. The guy who stole our invention, and I have 30 days (about 4 and a half weeks) to figure out who this is. Until then, I am just a normal android, trying to blend in with these humans in Earth.” 

“Good. The guy who is lose is also like you, Beta. He is an android, a rouge one. He is out there, in Earth, such a fragile planet, and he will not stop until the chaos is there. If you—no, you will—once you find him, you will be the hero to this small planet, Beta. You are such an important figure for everyone. Be a hero to them.” 

“Thank you, master, I assure you, I will.” 

And just like that, it was Beta’s first day, blending with humans. She made sure to turn on the button to switch from her android figure to a normal human. She was going to be a hero, at least she hopes she will. 

Beta reached the school curb, said bye to Maxwell, just like she had learned from her master, and got lost in a buzz of kids. Some talking, some running, some walking, some sitting, some wandering around here and there also looking lost. 

It was a hot day, and Beta didn't feel too good about standing in the blazing sun.

So many teachers, so many kids, screaming, yelling, noises...everything Beta knew she was going to encounter on her journey as a android-human.

“So, this is school huh? My first day...with so many beings, just like me! Fitting in here will be easy. I will listen to my master. I will listen to my self. I want to make him proud, and I know I can! I just hope that I can be a Hero.” 

February 20, 2021 19:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Valerie June
04:16 Feb 21, 2021

Laila, every story of your's I read is always a pleasure and this one is no different. It was so well written! I love how, instead of just explaining an android's daily life, you turned it into a mission for justice. The bits of humor you incorporate into the characters dialogue gives a nice balance to the story; not overdoing or underdoing it. I especially smiled at the part when Beta used way too much slang in her speech. Honest and flowing dialogue can be very tricky to pull off, but I believe that you nailed it. Excited to see what you ...

Reply

Oh my gosh, Jose! I love your comments all the time! Haha, the slang part was pretty funny for me to type too! Please check out my new story and scroll down to the comments if you WANT to be a character in my 100th story! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
17:23 Feb 21, 2021

I want to know what happens next!

Reply

Thank you! Please check out my new story and scroll down to the comments if you WANT to be a character in my 100th story! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
11:42 Feb 21, 2021

2 new stories would love your feedback on it.

Reply

Of course, Radhika! Please check out my new story and scroll down to the comments if you WANT to be a character in my 100th story! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
19:36 Feb 20, 2021

Hi, Haripriya!! How are you? I've missed talking to you!

Reply

Oh my, I have too! I have always loved your stories! I am fine, thank you for inquiring! How are you?

Reply

Laiba M
21:19 Feb 20, 2021

Aww, thank you!~ That's good to hear :) I'm doing well! I finished my last exam today and am ready for a fun weekend, haha. I've always enjoyed your stories so much too!

Reply

Your welcome, and thank you!! Oh really? Well, enjoy your weekend by drinking a smoothie, in your PJ's, watching a good movie! ;)

Reply

Laiba M
23:57 Feb 20, 2021

Of course! Thank you, that's definitely going to be on my list of plans, haha! Have you been doing virtual classes?

Reply

No problem! Yes, I have been doing online classes, have you? Please check out my new story and scroll down to the comments if you WANT to be a character in my 100th story! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

This story will be the start of my own super series...meaning there will be much more parts in this that you all should be looking out for! Hope you enjoyed this story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eddie Thawne
10:49 Feb 23, 2021

Oh wow! Laila. You never disappoint. This was just so creative. Beautifully and adroitly written that it just leaves me wanting more. Well done!

Reply

Thank you so much Eddie! Your support means so much! I just posted my 100th story...would love to know what you think about it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:43 Feb 20, 2021

Ooh, this is a nice story! Is there going to be a sequel?

Reply

Thank you! To answer your question: yes!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Holly Fister
00:01 Mar 01, 2021

Well written story! The only little error I saw was “android, a rouge one” I thought you meant he was red since rouge is red in French haha! But I think you meant rogue? Also, would you be willing to read my most recent story? I’m looking for feedback, and if anyone has the time, it would be greatly appreciated! 💕

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.