0 comments

Fantasy Mystery Adventure

I never had friends. Apart from my late elder sister, and my brothers. Ever since I can remember, I had none. It looked fun, though, having friends.

Kids never took a second glance on me. They never said more than a hello, and decided that I'm someone they didn't want to have anything to do with. My seatmates, who've become discrete as we got older, would drag their seats just an inch further to keep a distance. When I was in kindergarten, mothers would pull away their kids before we even start to play. Though, I don't know why.

Lunchtime were never exciting, at least. I eat alone in my corner. Peaceful, yes, but sad. Nevertheless, peaceful is great. I have heard of kids being bullied at school cafeterias. Thankfully, that never happened to me. Not one tried to pull some trick. If they did, I wonder what I'd do?

Teachers, adults see me as invisible. It felt like the shadows swallowed me from their line of vision. Barely called in recitations, no wonder some even double take with my name. I wonder if they even remember my face. Considering all the time I have to myself, my studies never had a problem, academically and athletic-wise.  

Someone jolted out from his nap, screaming. I heard he dreamt about the horror movie monster chasing him instead of the original characters.

I never got why people got scared of these fake terrors. They're fake. Unreal. They're laughable really. The movie and the people. Why watch something that will make you scared? Do you enjoy scaring yourself to the point you wet your pants? What a masochist. 

Walking down the hallway, a timid looking girl, probably in a lower grade level, was accidentally bumped by a jock, causing her books to fall and splatter on the ground. I came to her aide and handed her two books. She was shocked but she recovered quickly. "Uh, thank you." She strode away without making eye contact when she spoke. Was there something on my face? The mirror on my locker door showed otherwise. Just the plain old me. Black hair. Brown eyes. Polo. Jacket. No make up. As ordinary, as anyone can get.

I have never understood why they've stayed away from me. Have I done something? Not that I'm aware of. I tried, but, learned to just live with it. No matter what approach I did. It didn't matter. Judgement was passed. They never liked me from the very first second. It's not like I'll die without them. I had all I needed to survive. Food and water. A family. Roof to cover my head. And so, I have put myself at peace, and accepted this fate. You've made me a loner, so it shall. I can survive alone.

Alone in a picnic, on a hill about half a kilometer from my house. Sun still high on the horizon, a big tree gave me shelter. The steady flow of the stream whispering clearly in conversation with the melodic gust of the wind. The birds who previously sung has become silent. A blanket spread on the grass. An extra-large bottle of tea and snacks in a lunch bag. A backpack for a pillow. That was the life.

That life was short-lived.

Screaming broke off from somewhere north. It took some minutes before the source got out of the tree line. What they were running from....

They got closer, and closer. "Aaaah! Run!"

"Don't be a cry baby!"

"Just run!"

They saw me, still seating on my blanket. "Run!"

I hooked the backpack, scooped the lunch bag and grabbed the blanket carelessly. The wide cloth flapped like boneless wings. Swish. Swash. I run towards the house. Were they really going in the same direction or were they following me? I didn't know. I didn't ask then. I just run, because they said to run. “What’re we running from?” I yelled.

No answer.

Did I mention I was athletic as well? Well, nobody cared then. But now, it served me well. It wasn’t just because I had an early start compared to the others, I was a fast runner. I never looked back but the strong thud of their footsteps were not far behind. The backdoor never looked so welcoming than this moment. No one seems home yet. I fished for the keys in my backpack, and fiddled for the right one.

"Hurry up!" One of the kids say to the smallest one.

The door opens and I quickly slide in. As I was trying to close the door, the biggest of the three slams on the door like he didn’t have any breaks. "Please let us in." Stunning blue eyes implored.

My moms’ voice echoed in my head. Don’t talk to strangers. I sighed, let alone let them get in the house. Well, fudge it. They’re kids too. Probably the same age as me, except for the littlest.

"Please." The smallest adorably cute one said as they reached the back porch. Who could deny that charming little one? I opened the door for them which they quickly slipped in. No double take. Three thank yous, came in sequentially.

The smallest sat against the door. Curly head. Blushing cheeks. Big round eyes. The other two, looked stealthily through the window. I joined them.

5 minutes. 10 minutes. 15 minutes of tensed silence. Until I couldn’t take it anymore. I was used to silence, when I’m alone or when people made it feel that I didn’t exist. But this was awkward. They were quiet serious with lingering fear.

"Are you guys hungry?"

"Starving." Said the serious looking girl in long sleeved shirt and jeans.

" and thirsty." The boy said

Not too long, the loaf and Skippy were famished. Rounds of iced tea, half empty. They were refueled. They were beaming, radiating energy. Laughing and joking and teasing about the running.

"You think it’ll be safe to go now?" The boy, Eric, asked in hushed tone like he didn’t want me to hear.

"I don’t think so. It’ll still be in the area." Fatima answered.

"What?" I asked.

"Spidey!" The cute youngest, Ruth, answered.

"Spidey..."

“Oh, Uh, it’s nothing. Don’t mind. Don’t let it bother u." Fatima said.

The eldest was still deep in thought talking to himself with some incomprehensible words. "... danger....still... town... where.."

"Spidey!" Ruth whimpered.

"Then stay." The three looked at me, shocked. The littlest beamed. Oh, so adorable. I want to pinch her cheeks. "My parents will be back any minute now. I’m sure they’ll be okay. They can even drive you in the morning if you’d want."

"Really?" Eric and Fatima weren’t sure.

"Yeah."

My parents came in then, and we had a rather shockingly very short conversation about it. Dad was asking questions, but with a gentle squeezing hand on his shoulder by mom, it was over. They’re good to stay. Though, my mom had an indescribable look on her face. Something I couldn’t comprehend. A look that was new to my eyes. She just checked if I still had the necklace my grandma gave. Nevertheless, they approved with open arms.

That night was the happiest night of my life. We played and watched tv together. Had dinner together. Chit chats. Board games. Video games. Ruth had my black teddy bear glued to her. Fatima was interested in mom’s plant collection and the books. Eric was mesmerized by the massive arowana in the aquarium. The sleepover was topped off with a bedtime story for the little angel by mom. We all joined in to listen, of course. The living room was converted to some kind of evacuation camp, with beddings laid on the floor. We slept there, with me on the sofa, and the others rested haphazardly on the makeshift bed.

It didn’t take the whole story to put them to sleep. They slept so deeply, defenseless, like they’ve never slept for days. Soft snoring was the sound of the night. I’ve been wondering since I got to look at them properly. For runaways who just ran a marathon of some kind, they still looked too beautiful, like they had a certain pedigree, angelic of certain perfection.

I had a dream. I was in some kind of a black room or cavern or whatever. Everything was dark. I can only see myself. That was it. It ended as fast as it came or I just can’t remember. Some shuffling broke the monotony. They were up, trying to wake the littlest.

"You're going? But it’s five in the morning."

"Yes, the suns up. It’s not far, where we’re going." Fatima answered.

"Can't you wait for breakfast?"

"No, we have to go." Eric said.

"Wait. Let me come with you."

"What? No. After all, it’s not a place you can come to."

“Why?” Here we go again. They’re shutting me out. After everything, they’re turning me away. I didn’t understand. I couldn’t let go of finally having ... I followed them nonetheless. I’m glad I didn’t change in my pajamas last night. I know this area, it’s my home. I know my way back, if things got awry. I tailed them across the house into the trees. Then crossed the log bridge. Climbed a little and then slid down subtly to the west. Just minutes passed, a cave opening loomed. "Okay. This is goodbye. That’s our stop." Eric held a hand.

"What're you going to do in that cave? Will you do some playhouse?"

"No. It’s complicated. Hard to explain." Fatima was contemplating.

"Go home. We'll be fine." Eric reassured.

"Okay. Are you sure you’ll be okay?"

"Yes."

Ruth gave me the tiniest but warmest hug.

“Come visit me okay?”

“Okay.”

I was on my way home but I realized forgetting to hand them the packed food I prepared, so I ran back, across the bushes, and caught up as they got in the cave.

"What the?" They said in unison.

I held out the plastic bag full of cereals and stuff from my backpack. They were too busy stunned to take it.

“Who are you?” Eric demanded.

“Thea.”

“No. I mean, who are you? Who are your parents?”

“You met my parents.”

“No, your real parents.” Fatima joined in. Ruth was busy with the bag of goodies in my hands.

Real parents, huh. I was deep in thought now.

“What? How did you get in?” Eric said again.

“What?” They’ve become too pushy. Can’t they just take the bag and get over this.

“Thea, this isn’t an ordinary cave. It’s ...” She paused seeking words. “some kind of a supernatural doorway. It has barriers. Not everyone can come in. Tell me, who are your real parents?”

“Who?” Eric asked with strong conviction. “Did you see what was chasing us?

“Yes.”

“Did you see what I did with the water, back at the house, while washing dishes?”

“Yes.”

“Can you see this? He conjured a triton from a piece of cylindrical metal.”

“Yes, of course. You had it when we were running yesterday.”

Evenly paced steps echoed getting louder and closer. A red head girl came out of the shadows. Fierce with cat-like eyes. Authoritative in her baggy pants and checkered polo and enormous backpack. "Well? Oh come on Fatima. That’s enough.”

“I know, Sora.” She sounded irritated. “But, how did we miss? How did I miss it?”

"How... Who?" Eric trailed off.

“That’s the only question now, isn’t it? Who?” Sora came closer, scrutinizing. “You smell of water.” She said to me, grabbing my wood-carved necklace carefully, and looked at Eric’s direction meaningfully.

“Thea!” My mother’s voice called out from outside the cave.

I handed them the bag of food.

"Wait." Sora grabbed my arm.

“I’m Thea. Daughter of Marco and Zia Espinosa.” But, Marco was my stepfather. The best father in the world, be that as it may. I never knew my real father. Never met him. But, mom told me his name once. I continued. “Biologically, Daughter of Zia, half human and half water nymph, and Hades.”

All went wide-eyed, including Ruth who shuffled back. I shuffled back as well. A realization came in an instant. "You're Zeus, Poseidon, Athena, and Aphrodite." I pointed at Sora, Eric, Fatima, and Ruth respectively. "Don't ask, I just know."

"Holy heavens..." Fatima said under her breath.

“Thea!” Mom called again.

June 05, 2021 03:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.