The night at the library

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

“Jack, I told you libraries are so boring. Why did we even come here?” Jack looks to Maria, smirking. “I told you, I have to do this research project for English.” Rolling her eyes Maria follows Jack into the library. They walk into the large building. “And what exactly are you researching?” Jack leads her into the research section of the library. “I have to do a paper on English literature.” Jack starts to look down the halls. “Sounds boring to me.” Stay here, I'm going to try to find a librarian or something. You can just look around.” Maria nods and starts down the halls of the library. 

Maria makes her way to the fantasy aisle and walks down trying to find an interesting title. None of the titles are standing out to her. She pulls on a few books. “If only I liked reading.” She sees a certain book. The book stands out from the others. It is older and looks like it has been read lots of times. “The Wondrous Adventures of Skylar Babins?” The book sounds intriguing. 

Maria takes the book and tries to find a place to sit down. All of the main sitting places are surrounded by people and conversations. “I need to find someplace quiet to read.” Maria turns from the sitting area and walks to the very back of the library. Maria sits between two bookshelves that look like they haven't been visited in years. She opens the book and starts reading. “Once upon a time, Skylar Babins was going to be crowned queen…” Instantly Maria is in love with the book. She dives into the pages

Maria lost track of time. She has no idea how long she has been reading. “That’s when Skylar hears a strange noise, She turns around and screams…” All of a sudden the lights go out throughout the library. “W-What?” Maria stands up and tries to look around. In the distance, she can see a small light. How long had she been reading? Did they close the library? Barely able to see in front of her, Maria stumbles her way to the light in the distance.

Maria walks for five minutes to the light. When she moves closer it seems like the light is moving away with every step she takes. Maria starts to chase the light doing her best to not run into any of the bookshelves. Maria has to outsmart the light. The light turns around the corner. As quickly as she can Maria turns around and goes the other way moving to where the light was going to be.

Maria turns the corner “I got you!” She exclaims. She looks around and the light is nowhere to be seen. Giving up her loss Maria looks around. “Where am I?” She starts to walk around again desperately looking for a way out of the library. 

She turns one corner and jumps back. A woman is walking through the halls looking for something. “Who are you?” She asks the woman in the hall. She turns her head toward Maria. “Hello, I am Princess Skylar Babins and I require your assistance.” Maria looks around. “From the book?” Skylar looks confused. “I don’t believe I am in a book, love. I do need your help though.” Maria looks closer at her. “You see, love, I was on my way to my coronation to become queen when I heard a strange noise, I turned around to see what made the ghastly sound, and the next thing I knew I ended up in this world far away from my Coronation.” 

Maria was speechless. “But you are just a character in a storybook?” Skylar looks taken aback. “Excuse me, that is no way to speak to the future queen of the great kingdom of Cantan.” Maria takes a breath. “I’m sorry I just don’t understand how any of this is possible.” Skylar just shrugs. “I forgive you. Now, do you know how to get me back to my world?” Maria thinks back to the book she was reading. “I-I don’t know I didn’t get that far in the book.” Skylar looks confused again. “I don’t understand by what you mean when you say I am ‘in a book’?” Maria just shakes her head. “It doesn’t matter, I might have an idea, we just have to find the book I was reading before the lights went out.” Skylar nods her head. “Of course I'll help you find it. By the way, I didn’t catch your name.” Both of the girls start walking around trying to find the book. “I’m Maria.” Skylar smiles at her. 

“Where were you reading this book? I don’t see a book on the floor anywhere.” Maria tries to look around but it’s still too dark to see anything. “I know it was somewhere but it is too dark for me to see anything.” Skylar chuckles. “Oh sorry, I forgot.” Skylar holds out her hand and a flame bursts from her palm. Maria jumps back. “I-I didn’t know you could do that.” Skylar makes the flame dance around her palm. “It’s a special power every person in the royal bloodline has.” Skylar expands the fire so they can see the space in front of them. 

Maria notices the sitting area which she turned away from. “I tried to read here but it was too loud so I turned around and went down an old bookshelf that looked like it hadn’t been visited in a long time.” Skylar turns around looking for the old shelf. She stops in the direction of a shelf. “Is it that one?” Maria nods and they start walking toward the shelf. “Look, there is a book on the floor.” Maria jogs over to the end of the wall and picks up the book. Skylar comes up next to her and looks at the book too. “Can I see it?” Maria nods. “Just don’t freak out when you see it.” Skylar takes it from Maria's hand. She starts to flip through the pages her mouth wide open. “Oh, gods. Is this me?” She hands the book back to Maria. “Yes, that’s what I was talking about when I asked if you were from the book.” 

Maria flips open the book where she had stopped reading. She starts to read from the book. “That’s when Skylar hears a strange noise, She turns around and screams. A sorceress used an ancient staff to send Skylar to another world. Then the sorceress will be crowned queen instead.” Skylar lifts her brow. “Annaleigh, of course. I knew she was out for my crown.” Maria tries to make sense of what happened. “So, this Annaleigh used magic to send you to this world so she can become queen of your world?” Skylar nods her head and scoffs. “She has always been jealous of me.” 

Maria flips through the rest of the book. “The rest of the pages are blank.” Skylar tilts her head. “I don’t think the story is finished yet.” Maria tries to think. “Did you see anything when you did get sent to this world?” Skylar puts her hands on her hips. “I remember this searing light appearing when I first showed up here,” Maria remembers when the lights had first gone out how she had seen the ball of light floating through the air.

“Did it look like a big ball of light?” Skylar looks at her and nods. “I saw the light when the lights first went out. I tried to follow it but it seemed to run away from me. I think this is your way out, I think it’s a portal of some sort. We just have to find it.” Skylar extinguishes her light. “If it does run away from you we must be smart about this. Once we locate this ball of light, You will go one way and I'll go the other and we can corner it to give me enough time to get back.” Maria thinks over the plan then nods to Skylar.

After a couple of minutes of searching, Maria sees the orb of light. Silently, she points to it and Skylar sees it. They nod to each other and start walking down separate halls. With the orb in the middle hall. They both start chasing the orb, it picks up speed and flies even faster. Skylar and Maria both turn and move the orb to a dead end. Skylar let’s put a little laugh. “I didn’t think we would ever catch it. Skylar takes a deep breath and looks at Maria She grabs her hand. “Love, I couldn’t do it without you. Do you- Do you want to come back to Cantan with me? You can live in the castle with me, I already have too much space and it would be amazing if you could come too.” Maria looks at the glowing orb. Could she leave her mother and what about Jack? Maria let go of her hands. “I want to Skylar, but I can’t leave my family or my life.” Skylar sighs. “I understand, love, I want you to be happy. Please know that I am so grateful for you, without you I would be stuck here forever.” Skylar pulls her into a tight hug. “Thank you, Maria I’ll never forget you.” They break their hug and smile at each other. Skylar faces the orb again. She takes a deep breath and takes a step. She looks back at Maria and nods her head. Maria with tears in her eyes nods back. “Good luck, Queen Skylar.” Skylar turns back to the orb and steps in. The light burns bright as Skylar walks into the portal. Maria covers her eyes from the light, She waves to the orb as the light dims and disappears. “I’ll never forget you, Skylar,” Maria whispers.

“Maria?” Opening her eyes, Maria looks around. “What?” Her eyes focus and she sees Jack staring at her. “Maria, I know you said libraries were boring but did you have to fall asleep in one?” Maria looks in her lap, the book she had been reading is still in her lap. “I-I was asleep?” Jack nods then hold a hand out to Maria. “Yep, but I found my books and we can go home now. Are you getting that book?” Maria looks down at the book again. “Yes, I want to keep this one.” She takes Jack's hand and stands up. They walk to the checkout of the library. Had it all been a dream? Maria checks out and waits for Jack to check his books out. Maria flips through the book again. She goes to the page she fell asleep to, Maria looks closer. “Is that me?” She says as she flips to the last page of the book. 

In the end, Skylar defeated the evil sorceress, Annaleigh. None of this would have been possible if Skylar hadn’t met Maria, who became a quick friend. A sculpture of Maria has been made and is placed in the town hall of Cantan. For anyone who looks upon the sculpture, they can remember the great feat that was accomplished to return the rightful queen to the throne. When the queen came home all she said was, “Maria if you can hear me, know that I will never forget you, thank you for everything.”

“Are you crying?” Quickly Maria wipes her eyes and looks up. Jack is standing there with his books in his hand. “No, I just had something in my eye.” Jack nods and holds out his hand. “Let’s go home.”

May 01, 2021 02:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.