4 comments

Adventure Fantasy LGBTQ+

Work.


Yes, work.


Even better yet it was my birthday today and I was the last one to finish organizing things. There was not supposed to be anything today, the forecast said 'clear skys'. CLEAR! But it was whiter than can be outside and the wind was ice cold. I was angry at the weather people who lied to me. If I had known that there was going to be a blizzard then I would not have come to work. Then, I wouldn't have to be alone on my birthday... I was bummed, to say the least. What am I going to even do? There was nothing that I could do but sit around and wait for the story to finish up. Do you know how boring that is going to be?


With a sigh, I walked to the stairs shaft and slowly began my climb to the 8th floor. But, when I go to the 8th floor I looked up and an idea popped into my head. Nobody was allowed to go on the 12th floor, but nobody was there to stop me from going on the 12th floor. I started running up the stairs like a crazy person, the hard tapping of my shoe was all that you could hear, as it echoed loudly. When I got to the door, I pushed it open slowly. I checked to make sure that nobody was inside the office area before I walked inside. To my dismay, there was nothing but desks, desks, and more desks.


"You have to be kidding me?" I muttered quietly underneath my breath like a whisper. 'I came up here to just look at desks!?' I thought to myself, I was very disappointed. I was about to turn around when I noticed a light come from underneath a door in the furthest corner from me. I would have run away if the light was white, but it wasn't. It was a purple color, not something that I felt like I should be afraid of. I slowly tiptoed my way over to the door and with a breath, I pushed up open just a crack. I peaked inside, when I was looking at what it was I was in total amazement. 'Now, this is going to be fun.' I thought to myself before pushing the door all of the way open. In front of me was this pulsing purple portal. There were these little, black, untouchable balls that eerily floated around it. I didn't take any caution and to be honest, I couldn't care about the safety of myself. I stuck my hand into the purple portal and watched it disappear. I pulled my hand back out and it was perfectly situated where it used to be. I touched it, there was nothing different about it.


That gave me some type of unwanted confidence as I stepped into the portal. When I came to, my body felt warm and fuzzy. My memory was just about the same as how I felt. Slowly, my eyes fluttered open to see a bright flame in front of me. I wasn't scared of it as much as I was once I noticed that I was in front of a fireplace. There were animal fur blankets covering my body, they were really soft.


That's when I noticed that I didn't have any clothes on.


I scrambled up onto my feet, but my body wasn't fully awake to be moving so quickly. I fell forward and grabbed onto the stone mantle of the fireplace. My foot knocked over a bell that was on the ground. I took a few breaths in before I regained my stability. I slowly leaned down and picked up one of the fur blankets that laid on the ground and wrapped it around my body.


It was not even five seconds after I did that, that the door was pushed open to reveal a tall black-haired man. Even in the dim light, you could see his glowing white eyes. I backed up slightly, my back was pressed against the fireplace. They stepped inside of the room and almost automatically the fire from the fireplace jumped out and lit up every candle wick in the room. That made it much easier to see the male figure that stood in front of the door. He was dressed in a mixture of whites, blacks, and blues. White pants, a white shirt that had a hole for your middle finger to be put through on the sleeves. A mixed blue shawl covered the male's neck and hung-over most of his front. Over everything was a black robe that reached to about his knees. It looked thick and kinda heavy. The only thing that was not the same color as anything else he had on was his boots. They were brown, tall, at least to above his knee, lace-up boots. Even the laces were a different color.


"So, you are definitely not from here." He spoke in a bitter voice, as he stepped closer. There was still a lot of room between him and me. But, I didn't know if he was thinking about murdering me if I said something wrong. "Um, I am from this world. I just don't remember what is going on." I lied, it was obvious. The man crossed his arms, "You are lying..." We made eye contact for a few seconds before I looked away. "I get why you did and I am not going to hurt you for it." I still looked away from him, but how did he know? He laughed, "I can hear your thoughts like a music bug's screeching."


I looked over at him and softly sighed, "Plus, you being in this room never activated the fire to move. You are not of any magical origin at all." I heard the door shut. There was this cool wind that circled around me before all of the candles went out in the room. I froze completely, I felt myself lose touch with a floor as I levitated above the ground. In a rush things began to fly around me, the fur blanket was ripped around from me. I tried to cover myself up with my hands but things kept me from doing too. My body felt ice-cold, it felt like it was going numb.


I felt like I was dying.


"Would you just stop being dramatic and open your eyes?" I opened my eyes a little bit after I heard the voice. The candles were all lit up and the blankets were no longer in a messy bunch on the floor. I looked down and noticed that I -now- had clothes on. But, they were not mine and they most definitely were not something I'd ever buy. I had on a tan, no shoulder linen shirt, that was tucked into a pair of baggy evergreen pants that got tight around the ankles. On my feet, I had on a pair of brown, lace-up boots that went up to my ankles.


I thought I looked good though.


"So, how did you get here?"

January 20, 2021 17:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Elisia Meehan
00:22 Jan 26, 2021

Wow this was 🤯

Reply

Serendipity May
06:34 Jan 27, 2021

Thank you! But how was this mind-blowing? If I may ask?

Reply

Elisia Meehan
13:45 Jan 27, 2021

Well to see a new perspective on detail for the character you kept switching from first person too narriator. It's interesting and I put the wrong emoji my bad. ❤️

Reply

Serendipity May
22:31 Jan 28, 2021

I have to say thank you for the fact that you think it is interesting. I appreciate it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.