0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Mystery

What a day! She was home at last. Sonia stopped at the front gate, picked up the mail, and continued up the front path. The scent from the daphne met her nostrils, sweet and soothing. For a few moments, she breathed in and out allowing the scent to envelop her. Opening the front door, she looked with pride at the home she had purchased some years previously, and which would soon be fully paid off. One chapter of her life was closing. Uncertain of how the next chapter would begin, she did what we all do when we arrive home: kick off the shoes and pour a drink.

With a cup of steaming herbal tea in hand, Sonia sat in her favourite chair on the veranda and glanced at the mail.  A letter among the utility bills caught her eye: a lawyer’s letter in fact. In short, she was the sole beneficiary in a will, a distant relative unknown to her, whose semi-rural estate, was worth what seemed to Sonia, like monopoly money. She would not need to work with this and her “entitlements”. The writer asked her to call the office as soon as practicable to discuss the arrangements. It was one of the few times in her life when she, Sonia Brice, was flabbergasted.

THE PREVIOUS DAY

It seemed to Sonia, that some days, for no apparent reason you get a kick in the guts, when you least deserve it. Yet, Sonia had been half expecting this moment, because she had heard whispers, but was not ready for what she saw. There, in black and white was what her twenty years of dedication were worth to them; zilch. The harsh reality that her hunch was right about the boss, brought no comfort: she had thought there was something wrong with her that she could not trust Mr X as he was called. For all his charm and eloquence, he could ask her into the office, without gentle words and quietly say

“Sonia, I regret that the company has had to do major cost-cutting and as a result, some jobs will be going, I am afraid yours is one of them.” the envelope in one hand, the briefest of shoulder pats with the other, he watched her closely. There were many things she wanted to ask, but couldn’t. Later she would hear from some friends, preceded by their shocked query.

“You too? Oh, Sonia, I’m so sorry.”

There in that claustrophobic office, where the aromas of insect repellent and body odour combined, wafted around the room and tormented her nostrils, she sat, mute as a flounder, trying to take it in.

“When?” It was almost a whisper.

“As soon as you like, I would prefer if you trained Fl…”

“Not on your nelly Xavier, you want rid of me, fine, I can grin and bear it. You want someone to be at your beck and call do everything your way, according to the new regime? I think you would be better to train them yourself; I would be superfluous. I am not training Flora, Dora, Mary Poppins or anyone else. I leave tonight if possible, tomorrow if not.”

Sonia arose from her seat took her bag and the dreaded big white envelope and left the office. Had she known that this interview was being recorded, a very big breach of privacy, she would have acted the same way. Filled with a mixture of emotions, disgust being one of them, she realised she was not alone. Mick from Human Resources was waiting for her. He walked with her to his office, having first acquired two chai lattes and carried them. Both knew a scotch would have been better, but alas…

“So, you know.” she said, “apparently there are others in the same boat.”

“Yep, I’m one of them. All of us fifteen years and beyond don’t get an option. Frank chief team leader refused to be reinterviewed for his job of ten years and told them to … Oh it was a Scottish expression, boiling a feed or…?”

Sonia smiled “My gran was a Scot, I know the one ‘Go buyle yer heid,’”

Mick looked at her “Boil your head? How charming.”

“Yes, but oh so deliciously buttered with contempt. I should have said that to Xavier.” finished Sonia

“He’s not worth it, Sonia; he’s a robot and that is what this company is coming to.” Mick smiled, then took a deep long slurp of the latte.

“No Sonia, once I outline your entitlements…”

She came back the next day as there were forms to sign. Xavier beamed and told her a morning tea was planned.

“Thrills.” she thought “can’t wait to miss it.”

While she indeed wanted to get out, she thought of a better idea. By ten o’clock the hangers-on appeared and the guy in charge, unable to hide his embarrassment told three “Dad” jokes that were neither funny nor appropriate, before the spotlight was turned on Sonia.

“Well, here we are Sonia; how do you feel?” he put his arm around her, then, sensing her discomfiture said “how long have you been with us?

“Almost twenty-one years.” her reply was simple if not chilly “how do you expect I would feel Mr Bent?”

“You never did call me Robert, I …” he stopped suddenly, turning to pick up the card and flowers and continued to speak.

“Well Sonia we very much appreciate all your hard work; we know you love flowers, but I think, if I’m not mistaken, there is something other than words in the card.” he laughed, but no one joined in.

Sonia smiled graciously and opened the card. It had a generic $100 gift card enclosed. She smiled again, indicating her desire to speak.

“Folks, there is no point in prolonging the agony. For most of the time I have spent here I have been treated well and it was easy to give and give and give some more for the joy of working for a prestigious company. Sadly, it no longer is a prestigious company but a greedy one. You, have made a decision to cut back on jobs, and that is your decision, but allow me to make one of my own. For you see Mr Bent, Xavier, Flora, among those of us who worked hard for fifteen years or more, is a friend of mine who is going through hardship and retrenchment could not have happened at a worse time for him or his dear wife. So, I will be happy to keep the card but… she looked ahead of her, facing her friend.

“Mick could you join me please?” Mick had no option but to join Sonia, who continued to speak

“Would you accept this gift card and my monetary contribution, and use it as you see fit; I’m sure Val will be cheered with the flowers.” she kissed his cheek and picked her bag up. Sonia caught herself before she started giggling. Hearing applause was comforting but to see the stunned mullet look that both Xavier and Robert Bent wore did her heart good. She was still unsure, about what she was going to do, but she was satisfied with the outcome and Mick was astounded.

As the daphne once again tickled her nostrils, while she walked to the front door she thought back on the events of the last two days. Sonia mulled over the news in the letter. She wanted very much to speak to Mick. As though on cue, suddenly, her mobile rang. It was Mick to thank her. Sonia read the letter to him, and asked rather shyly if he would come with her to see the solicitor if Val was okay with it and it was permissible. He agreed.

Two days later they stood in front of the city office of Bradshaw and Lowe  Barristers and Solicitors.

Sonia was rather nervous.  She had brought copies of ID endorsed by the local constabulary, sensing she would need them. At the appointed time she and Mick were ushered into the rooms of Mr Kenneth Lowe, a serious little man with a flabby handshake and an irritating laugh. Once seated on a plush sofa beside Mick, Sonia noticed Mr Lowe had chosen the chair opposite. Though it was a lounge chair it was higher than the couch. Perhaps it was after all the chairman’s seat.

“Have you climbed down from cloud nine yet Sonia?”   Ken Lowe asked

“Not realty I have never heard of Sheila Rockman, though Rockman was my mother’s maiden name.”

“Your mother and Sheila were distant cousins, Sonia, but Sheila chose a different life from the rest of the family. She lived in England for years, as a teacher then a school principal at a rather posh ladies' college, and returned to Victoria to heal her broken heart after a disappointment in love. As her parents did not approve of the lifestyle she chose, she stayed out of their way.  Eventually, the love of her life passed away leaving his estate to her, on the proviso that she did something good for another person or persons."

Ken handed her a letter from Sheila, and continued to speak

“Rather than starting a school, she opened her doors to two young lads giving them shelter and a home, and though it would be easy to bequeath her money to them, she encouraged them both to seek their own professions. I was one of those young lads: My business partner and best mate, Jim Bradshaw is the other.”

Sonia read the letter

Dear Sonia

I know we have not met but if you are reading this then Ken has had a talk with you. Your challenge before you get your hands on my money is to prove that you have faced your enemy and told them what you think of them. However, you do need to provide proof that this situation occurred and that Ken is satisfied that it is bona fide. If it does not prove to be so, his payments for professional. services go to charity, If it is bonafide he has been paid handsomely and you, my dear will be a very rich woman.

Enjoy your life little cousin,

Sheila Rockman

Sonia passed the letter to Mick As he read, he smiled.

“Sonia, I have all we need as proof here” Turning to Ken he said

“Mr Lowe…”

“Ken, please”

“Sonia asked me to attend this meeting and of course for moral support I agreed. Now I have a short video clip which may be all you need and I can send a copy to you   when I am back at the office, also copies of Sonia's package."

Ken agreed. He saw the interview and the goodbyes. Conscious of the fact that his mouth was wide open, he shook his head sadly and said:

“Oh, Sonia, you are better off out of there and should this incident not have been acceptable, I would employ you in a heartbeat. Your courage has been proven. I am satisfied that your reaction caught Xavier unawares and you told them all what you thought Rest assured I don’t need the money, my dear; Jim and I agreed to Sheila’s terms long ago and are comfortably well off.”

“I can’t accept this,” said Sonia

“Yes, you can.” Ken and Mick chorused

She was pensive   Mick broke the silence

“I have had a thought. Sonia you once told me of your dream to set up a Bed and Breakfast place if you won Tattslotto.”

Sonia laughed remembering the pipe dream

“I remember that Mick. It might be possible once I see the property. I might need a manager,"

“Anyone in mind?” he asked

She looked at him “Well I had a certain pal in mind along with his wife now that they are in a similar boat.”

“Phew” responded Mick. “I thought you were about to say ‘Xavier’”

Their laughter could be heard around the office.

December 18, 2020 04:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.