The Passenger

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that takes place on a train.... view prompt

16 comments

General

The Passenger 


The stench of Lynx from the man next to me is mildly more appealing than the stale, sweaty smell that it is trying to conceal. As if the temperature and proximity of the other sardines in this carriage weren’t enough to make me want to throw up my breakfast; this guy is about to tip me over the edge. This summer is sticky and stifling; this day is heavy with heat.


I nudge Davey and make an exaggerated facial expression. He nods and smiles, puts his hand on mine. At least we have seats, even though that means my eyes are directly in line with the exposed, toned midriff of a teenage girl, standing in front of me. She’s not much younger than I. She’s wearing headphones that are umbilically attached to the iPhone she’s swiping away at as she sways. I’m sure she’s going to topple onto us as we judder along the track, or screech into one of the stations where more people try to cram aboard. 


“Hey,” Davey says. 


He taps me, trying to get my attention. I realise he’s been speaking whilst I’ve been staring at the kid. Maybe she’s two or three years younger than I am. Even I can’t tell these days. I’m losing touch. I’m not one of that crowd. Never have been. It’s Davey and me, against the world. Through thick and thin, and this.


“Sarah.”


Davey taps at me again, his voice tense, insistent. 


“Where do you think he’s going?” 


I nod towards a man, his face buried in a map, a bulky backpack hanging from his shoulders.


“You weren’t listening to me, were you?” 


I hmm, and say, “distracted.” 


So many people going about their business. All oblivious, strangers passing each other by. I expect that no one else noticed the boy sitting on his mother’s lap, tugging at her until she reached into her bag and pulled out a painted wooden car. No one paid any attention to the look that she gave him as he grinned and pointed and shared a private moment with her in this public place. The look that passed between them. I suppose it was love. A kind of love that I don’t know about. 


“I said, ‘it’s not too far now’.”


He repeats himself. He is so patient with me. I make that single syllable hmming noise again, acknowledging what he says but not really committing to a response. I don’t know what he wants me to say. 


“Sarah. If you’re not sure…” 


Davey starts that sentence and I try to reach my hand up, quickly, to put a finger on his lips, to cut it off. 


“Ssh,” I say, finding the sound before my stupid, slow finger can get to his mouth. 


He grabs my hand and holds it. 


“It’s not too late,” he says. 


What does that even mean?

 

The train pulls away again, and there’s a little more room to breathe. Bare-bellied girl flops into the seat opposite, opening a gap, an empty space in front of us. It’s like a barrier has been lifted, but instead of feeling extricated, I feel exposed. I nuzzle into Davey’s shoulder, almost instinctively.

 

The boy with the car is enjoying the freedom of movement. He’s kicking his legs and swinging his tiny vehicle through imaginary sky streets. His mother has an arm around his waist, keeping him securely in place, without restricting his ability to play. She has the balance exactly right. She knows just what to do. They are a unit, a perfect unit. I look away.


Lynx Man is reading a book, and I want to sneak a peek at what it is, but I can’t see the cover. I try to glance down, to pick up some of the content, and see if I can work out the context. It’s not English. I have no hope. The corners of the pages are well thumbed. Maybe he bought it second hand. Maybe he’s read this same book a dozen times already and he’s just enjoying it again.  Stick with what you know, go with what you like, don’t take risks. Make difficult decisions. Don’t change your mind. I can’t keep looking. The smell is nauseating. It’s the smell. I tell myself it’s the smell.

 

I want to ask Davey what he thinks about the book, the boy, the tattoo the girl has on her calf. I want to ask him if we are doing the right thing.


I rest my head back down onto his shoulder, and he instinctively wraps an arm around me, bringing me in. Here, on a train, in a city, surrounded by strangers, we are as close as two people can be. He strokes my hair, gently, softly, the way I like it. I try to relax into his embrace, but it’s as though there is something sticking into me. I am the Princess and I am the Pea. Beneath my soft exterior is a tiny lump. The bump that stops me from settling, that stops me from sleeping. 


The kid catches a look at Davey and I, and he waves his car at me. He smiles, a little shy grin, and when I smile back he tucks his face into his mother’s chest.  


“Don’t,” Davey says. “Stop thinking.” 


He’s reading my mind, like I was trying to read Lynx Man’s book. He knows that there’s a swirling storm inside my head, but my thoughts might as well be a foreign language to him. I could never make him understand. He might feel some of the things that I do, but he can’t know what it is like for me. There’s no way to translate between my heart and his. 


This train will keep moving, and we will reach our destination. The bare-bellied girl. The man and his book. The mother, the child.  The man carrying his backpack. The cargo getting in everyone’s way. The Princess. The Pea. My tiny passenger. We will reach our destination.


February 03, 2020 14:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Emma Mohammad
11:23 Dec 05, 2020

Hi Je, I've been meaning to ask as I didn't know how else to contact judges. I've submitted 3 stories so far, u receive 10 points simply from being approved but I still have 0. Do you know of any reasons to why they may not be approved? U can read my stories as I assure u they don't contain any harmful, graphic or intense language.

Reply

JE Rowney
18:33 Dec 05, 2020

Hi Emma. I’ll pass this on to the admin team. I’m sure they’ll be able to help. Do keep submitting your stories :) x

Reply

Emma Mohammad
00:43 Dec 06, 2020

Thank you :}

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma Mohammad
06:08 Dec 08, 2020

I think my first story did get accepted, but is there any way the ones before could too?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Julia Boddie
21:29 Oct 13, 2020

A great read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
A. K. Wilson
01:46 Oct 09, 2020

I really feel like you bring to life the experience most people feel with trains. My experience was similar possibly cause it was summer time what inspired this story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Andrew Krey
17:24 Sep 12, 2020

Hi Je, I really liked your story; despite the stressful situation of a packed train, it had a intimate soft tone, which was really good. It was also really relatable when she's observing all the passengers of the train, speculating what they're lives could be like (especially the deductions from the book reader like Shelock Holmes). Happy writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wally Schmidt
05:03 Mar 05, 2023

What a beautifully written story. I love that some of the things on the train (the young girl's exposed midriff, the boy with the 'sky car', the smells in the carriage) conspire to make her think about the very thing she does not want to think about. The story is so visual that you feel like you're in their carriage with them. Don't know if you're still judging but I hope you are still writing...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Frank Lester
01:26 Apr 09, 2022

Hi Je, I have a question regarding the comments on posts. Speaking of which, I read your story and found it engaging. I liked the way you worked Sarah's thoughts about everyone's purpose on the train in with her own concerns about the small "package" she carried. It begs the question of where she took it. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Back to my question: I see "points" with up and down arrows next to our names when we post our comments. Most often I see one point. The comment below shows two points. Others I've seen are higher. What is ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
15:11 Oct 24, 2021

Nice story would you please comment my story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
07:31 Oct 15, 2021

Please comment my story it is a research work need to be edit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
07:31 Oct 15, 2021

Goood 5 stars to your story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
07:30 Oct 15, 2021

Please comment my story it is a research work need to be edit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
07:29 Oct 15, 2021

Well done

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cathryn V
04:33 Feb 10, 2021

A moving story of the interiority a young woman falls into in such a situation. This is gorgeous, artistic and literary. Have you published this? If not, you should. Thanks for writing. I wish you’d put out more on this site.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Grace Jarvis
18:07 Jan 03, 2021

How are stories accepted?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.