The Fourth Race PT. 2

Submitted into Contest #87 in response to: Write about a mischievous pixie or trickster god.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Adventure Friendship

As Evangeline trekked through the Hummingbird Grove, the woods of her home, she felt a pit in her stomach. Was this really a good idea? 

When dusk approached, she was only 5 miles away from the 70 mile long Turrey Woods. She climbed a big willow tree and fell asleep on a fork after tying herself on with a bit of rope. When she awoke, she felt disoriented, because she didn’t know where she was. And then she felt the map in her pocket and remembered. Today she would reach the Wood Elves. Would they be friend or foe?

She climbed out of the tree and resumed her hike in the early April morning sun. 

After walking about a mile, she felt a buzzing around her ear. Suddenly, she was lifted off the ground by her right pointed ear!

“AH!” she screeched. 

Then, she was back on the ground. “WHAT WAS THAT!” she yelled. 

A tiny winged elfish thing appeared in her vision. “What was that, and who are you?” Evangeline demanded to know. 

The thing appeared to be female, and it had light green skin, dark red hair, blue eyes, and was 7 inches tall. “I’m a pixie, and my name is Olive. You’re going to the Turrey Woods, yes?” 

Evangeline nodded slowly. 

Olive giggled, flitting about on her wings. “You’ll need me to help you get in.” 

“Why?” 

“Well, I’m a pixie, and the Prince of the Wood Elves trusts me, so I can get you in and get you anything you need. And you’re a Moon Elf. You don’t stand a chance without me.” 

“Fine. But no more lifting me up.” Evangeline said. 

“Deal.” Olive giggled. 

A few hours later, when Evangeline stood on the border of the Turrey Woods, she saw a stone path leading into the kingdom. 

“Olive, what do we do now?” Evangeline said nervously. She could feel magic and Elven presence in the air. 

Evangeline felt water trickle down her back. “Olive, enough with the pranks.” 

Suddenly Evangeline couldn’t see or speak. She could hear Olive squeal and fly away. 

She could feel strong arms tie up her hands. She kicked and thrashed. Her bag was still on her shoulder and her longsword and bow were taken from her. 

She was dragged through the woods, and she could hear talking around her. 

Even though she hadn’t heard the language before, she could understand every word. 

“Take her to Anwel! He’ll take her to the King!” one said. 

“I don’t know...She looks like a Moon Elf.” 

“Moon Elves don’t exist anymore, idiot!” 

“Shut up! We approach the gate.” 

She heard more voices and then suddenly she was in a cold stone place and she could see again. She was in a prison cell. Her bag was still there, but she had no weapons. Maybe when they freed her she’d get them back. 

“Help!” she yelled. 

“Be quiet, or I’ll knock you out.” she heard a deep voice say. 

“Maybe when I see you I’ll be quiet.” she retorted.

A person stepped in front of her cell and glared at her. He wore a leaf crown and had long brown hair that had a little braid on one side of his head. 

“Who the hell are you?” Evangeline growled. 

“Anwel, Prince of the Wood Elves.” he said, clearly believing he was superior to her. “Who are you, and what were you doing on our border?” 

“I am but an innocent traveler, Anwel.” She said his name with scorn. 

“I meant your name, clever girl.” Anwel turned his back to her and crossed his arms. 

“I’m Evangeline, if you must know.” Evangeline said, dropping her bag in a corner. “What are you going to do with me, prince?” 

“I’m taking you to my father. He’ll know what to do.” Anwel said, and unlocked the cell door. She tried to run, but Anwel held on to her arms so she couldn’t do more than try to pull. When she did, she tripped and fell. 

“If you breathe a word of this to anyone, I will murder you with my bare hands.” Evangeline snarled, meaning her falling.

Anwel rolled his eyes and led her to a throne in the middle of the castle. 

“Father.” Anwel said, ducking his head. 

“Son.” King Wyn said. “What vermin did you bring to me this time?” 

Evangeline struggled harder. “You foul-” she started, and Anwel kicked her hard enough to make her stop. 

“We found her on the borders with that stupid pixie, Olive. The pixie we banned. So we detained her immediately.” 

King Wyn nodded. “Let me question her, Anwel. You can patrol the door so she does not run.” 

Anwel pushed her into a knee position and then stood by the door. 

“What were you doing on our border, cur?” Wyn said, his eyes full of scorn. 

“I am traveling to the Gallanduff Mountain, sir.” Evangeline said, shooting a dirty look at him. 

“The Gallanduff Mountain, hmm?” Wyn said, chuckling. “What business did you have there?” 

“I would not tell you if I was but an inch of my life, you hellish creature.” Evangeline said fiercely. 

Wyn cackled and then said to Anwel “Put her back in her cell. Let her rot there.” 

Anwel dragged her back to her cell, while Evangeline thrashed and yelled and shouted insults at the King and his son. 

When she got back to her cell, and Anwel had left, she started looking around on the outside. She saw her weapons near the door and suddenly she remembered that they hadn’t taken her bag. 

She tore through her bag until she found at the very bottom a fishhook. Evangeline cheered inwardly and then shouted an insult to Anwel “Foul idiot!” so the guards wouldn’t suspect anything. 

Evangeline worked the fishhook into the lock from the outside until she heard it click. She draped a cloak over herself and slung her bag over her shoulder. She retrieved her weapons and then pushed open the door. 

“Fools!” she yelled as she ran through the halls. 

Evangeline could hear guards yelling as she sprinted through the castle. Wood Elves were bigger and stronger in stature than the delicate, shorter Moon Elves. The Moon Elves were built for speed and the Wood Elves built for fighting, which was a reason they were so badly defeated. 

“Anwel, after her! Bring her back alive!” she heard King Wyn yell. 

Evangeline jumped into the foliage and ducked down very low, breathing heavy. 

Anwel bursted out, and ran right past her, towards the way she entered the woods. 

She ran the opposite direction from him, and traveled 10 miles before dusk. She was exhausted, so she chose a high oak tree to conceal herself in. She knew that if he saw her he could reach her, but she felt safer up there. 

When he awoke, she heard footsteps. Evangeline climbed up as high as she dared, her breath catching in her throat. When she heard a voice, she almost fell out of the tree. 

The voice wasn’t Anwel. 

It was gruff and hoarse and it spoke in a language she didn’t understand. Suddenly it rose and started shaking the tree she was in. She moaned and tears ran down her cheeks. Who the hell is shaking the tree? Anwel wouldn't.

She pulled out her bow and tried to shoot the thing, but she couldn’t see it. 

Evangeline climbed down a few branches and suddenly she could see it. It was 6 feet tall, with a hunch in its back, putrid purple skin, and greenish ooze covering parts of it. She almost fainted. 

To Evangeline’s horror, the creature took out an axe and began swinging at the trunk of the tree. It was halfway through when she heard a yell. The creature swung around and began roaring. 

It dropped dead, an arrow sticking out of its forehead. 

Suddenly Evangeline’s tree began to sway. “Help! Help me! HELP!” she screamed as the tree began to sway more violently.  

“Evangeline! Hold on!” a voice cried. “I’m going to catch you!” 

“Okay!” 

Evangeline scooted down the tree trunk. There was a clearing where she could jump off around 5 feet down. 

“I’m coming down!” she yelled. 

She delicately placed her foot down on a branch and the tree started falling. “AHHHHHHH!!!” she shrieked. 

“JUMP!” her savior yelled. “NOW!” 

Evangeline nodded and launched herself out of the falling tree. 

She sailed towards the ground before landing in someone’s outstretched arms. The tree fell the other way and then she looked into the eyes of her savior. 

When she saw who it was, she scrambled out of his arms. “Oh...Anwel.” 

They both looked away, embarrassed, when Evangeline asked “What was that thing?” 

“It was an Inugami. They’re becoming braver and coming down from the Mountains to the North. They’re foul, but intelligent.” Anwel replied, picking leaves from his long hair. 

“Thanks for...well...you know.” she said. 

“No problem. What are you doing here, anyway?” 

“I’m going to save the rest of my kin. Onitor visited me.” Evangeline said, blushing. 

Anwel nodded. “Mind if I come along? I...wouldn’t want to see you captured again.” 

“O-of course. That would be okay. Sorry for calling you those names…”

“As am I. Truce?” 

Evangeline shook Anwel’s hand. “Truce.” 

Anwel and Evangeline walked through the mystical, Elven, Turrey Forest and as they talked, there were several pregnant pauses. 

When dusk fell, the two set up camp, and while they ate dinner, Anwel looked at Evangeline’s long silver hair. She had it down, and at its full length it was halfway down her back. Anwel’s hair stopped right below his shoulders. 

“Here, Evangeline, you have a twig in your hair.” 

As Anwel gently picked it out, a shiver went down Evangeline’s spine. When they both chose trees next to each other to sleep in, Evangeline caught herself staring at Anwel’s back. When he rolled over, their eyes met, and they both blushed. Evangeline’s dark blue eyes were soon hidden for the night as she fell asleep. 

When she awoke, something had changed between the two. They were no longer enemies, but friends.

March 27, 2021 20:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

16:15 Mar 31, 2021

Ooooh! I love an enemies to lovers arc! (I assume that's where this is going, or is it going to remain platonic?) I enjoyed this one a lot! I thought you balanced the action and the characterisation well. :) As for editing, you only capitalise king when it is his name (King Wyn) and not when it is just a noun (the king). Also, traditionally editors advice you not to put things in all caps, even when you're shouting. (AHHHH! JUMP! NOW ! etc) but both of these things are minor edits. It is a great fantasy adventure and I look forward eagerly t...

Reply

Pippin Took
19:40 Mar 31, 2021

Awwww thanks! As to whether it will remain platonic... *grins evilly* You'll have to wait and see...😉 Check on Sunday and part 3 should be out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.