11 comments

Coming of Age Fantasy Fiction

My bare feet spring across the wood gracefully as I bound over the branch and to the main Hollow.

I will be picking splinters out of my heels for days, but right now I don't care. I’m late.

Today of all days, I had to be late.

I decided to take a quick nap before this, I knew I would be up all night and it had seemed smart at the time, but I overslept, and now I was late to possibly the biggest day of my life.

I pause at the circular door and rake my fingers through my dark auburn hair, trying to tame my wild strands. I try to catch my breath, all while straightening my tunic and leggings.

Inhale, I remind myself, exhale.

It’s so dark in the night, but when I walk inside my eyes are blinded by what feels like a thousand suns.

My eyelids clench themselves together and I have to gradually get used to the light. 

Today is a grand occasion for our culture, and for me, a specifically grand occasion. I could not afford to be late. But naturally, I was.

I stand there. I’m slightly paralyzed. Of course i'm afraid, but I won't let that deter me from what i'm meant to do. A delicate arm wraps around my shoulders and pulls me forward, guiding my steps. “Darling,” The person whispers. It’s my grandmother. “What in all the stars are you wearing?”

“A tunic and leggings.” I whisper back as I show my fellow elves a forced smile. It’s not because of them, I have been bracing for this moment, this conversation with my grandmother, for a while now. Ever since I decided I was going to present myself as a citizen of the Hollow while I was crowned as their monarch, I have been saving witty remarks for my Grandmother.

“Where is your gown? The one for the coronation?” She hisses at me as we reach the raised dais in the center of the room.

“It’s in my closet,” I shrug, picturing the hideous pink ruffle monster she has selected for me. “where it belongs.”

“Marlowe Kove Sterling,” My grandmother reprimands. “what do you have to say for yourself? You cannot be crowned Queen of the Hollow in that!” She points disgustedly at my clothes.

“Well what are we going to do about it now?” I shoot back. “I quite like my outfit the way it is. I think our elves need to know that i'm not some Queen coming to rule them, but that I am one of them, and I am willing to protect and serve them.” I say. I know she can’t argue with that, because it's what she has been drilling into my brain for 18 years.

“Are you ready to make your speech?” She asks, folding her arms across her chest.

I nod. I have been preparing for this day since I was born. I am finally ready to take my place among my people.

Upon her indication, I turn and raise my arms for effect. As I do so, golden bracers with intricate carvings are placed on my forearms by the head of the guard. Their gift tells me they will be behind me, protecting their fellow elves and protecting me. “My elves, I am here today, to serve you. As our Hollow, our branches all intertwined, I do not see myself as your ruler, but as your servant.” I look over at my grandmother, and despite her repremandments earlier she is beaming with so much pride. My heart becomes swollen as I look into the eyes of each elf gathered before me.

“Our tree, our Hollow connects us all, the roots of our history running deep. As many branches are grafted in, we are all still the same, and although I will be the new Queen, I am still one of you. An elf just the same.”

A golden cape has settled on my shoulders, gifted by the elves, and I stand straight and tall wearing their gift proudly. I prefer to be unadorned, but some traditions I can’t avoid, that includes the bracers, cape, and soon to be crown.

My grandmother comes forward and places the crown on my auburn hair. This is her gift. The pointed branches fit perfectly atop my head. An elegant crown made of nature, symbolising our bond with one another.

I wear all three with honor, but I feel glorified. I shouldn’t be exalted, I'm a normal girl who is here to give guidance.

“Elves of the Hollow!” I shout, my voice rebounding off the walls. “Let us dance and sing and be merry!”

The crowd before me erupts with cheers and I hug my grandmother.

“You're going to be a wonderful Queen,” she says, holding me to her. “But next time, it would do you good to wear the dress.” I can hear the teasing note in her voice, but also the patronizing one. Two different melodies combined into the same song.

“Grandmother, the people loved it. I will never wear a dress as long as I can help it. You would do well to remember that.” I don’t speak to her in my usual snarky tone, but more of a commanding regal one. I am the Queen now, I will make my own choices. Ones that are uninfluenced by others' agendas. Choices that are supported by my subjects. No, not subjects, they are not here to serve me, it is the other way around. They are not mine. They are the citizens of the Hollow.

She looks a bit taken aback, but nods. “I feel like we have been acting as rulers for too long,” I gesture to the elves. “We are no better or worse than them.”

“I have raised you well haven't I.” She doesn’t phrase it as a question, but a statement. It is simply a fact.

I was raised to bring us together, this tree was grown so we could entwine our lives to one another's. 

 In the end, all the roots lead to the trunk, and the trunk to the branches, and the branches to the leaves. We are all connected. We are all one, together.

April 20, 2021 14:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Cole Lane
22:31 Apr 20, 2021

Beautiful story! I like how the new queen is determined to drop some of the old ways, like wearing a pink ruffle monster :), but has a deep understanding of the history an culture of her people.

Reply

Charli Britton
15:31 Apr 21, 2021

Thank you so much! This story began with a feeling I wanted to create and developed from there. I am so happy you liked it! Your comment means so much to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Monica June
15:39 Apr 21, 2021

Really amazing! Short and sweet, which makes perfect sense for this kind of story. "Two different melodies combined into the same song." Loved that line! You forgot to capitalize 'I'm' a couple times, but the grammar police side of me will try to let it slide xD

Reply

Charli Britton
15:41 Apr 21, 2021

Oops. xD I'll definitely remember next time now that I've been called out. ;) Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
02:43 Apr 28, 2021

And the Spring Fairy is here to sprinkle her dust to paint the daffodils; to bring birds. and song to your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Rothery
19:18 Apr 22, 2021

This was lovely, love that she didn't wear the dress!

Reply

Charli Britton
19:49 Apr 22, 2021

Thanks. I thought the little detail added some personality. I try to cram as much personality as possible into these short stories. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Asha Pillay
04:04 Apr 22, 2021

Nice story, I enjoyed reading it.

Reply

Charli Britton
14:00 Apr 22, 2021

Thank youuuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:08 Apr 21, 2021

Its AMAZING:D :D :D :D :D

Reply

Charli Britton
15:31 Apr 21, 2021

THANKS!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.