Forget-Me-Not

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

160 comments

Fiction Sad

He didn’t come outside yesterday. He didn’t wear his rubber-soled shoes and ridiculously large coat. He didn’t push his feet into the soil, savouring the satisfying squelch. He didn’t pick out the flowers that he liked the most and leave them on my front porch.

The marigolds were crying. Their petals dripped of their loneliness and neglect, wanting his gentle touch and instead having to find it in each other. My hand had lingered in the air next to my doorknob, not finding the courage to go over there and give them some company. I didn’t want the flowers to realize that I wasn’t the person they were hoping I was.

I had touched the jasmine in my hair, the petals almost brown now, after having worn it since the morning before. I didn’t have the heart to take them off, especially since he wasn’t there to give me a fresh bunch.

The first time I met him, he smiled widely at me with the teeth he had left and invited me home. His house smelled like my grandparents’, like wood and tea and a fragrance reminiscent of petrichor. He told me that I looked like his granddaughter and gently pushed the first flower into my hair, a delicate yellow daisy.

That day, I went home and cried until the daisy wilted. He reminded me too much of my grandfather, a man who had loved me more than my parents, a man who always told me I was beautiful even when I didn’t think the same. Maybe my neighbour was my grandfather telling me to move on. Or maybe he was just another lonely old man who had lots to share.

I went over to his place almost every day for a year. After I got employed in a company, I started going over to his place less and less. I told him I had work to do and left with guilt weighing down my heart like the flowers crying in his garden. Soon I stopped going entirely, citing work but not having the stomach to meet him.

Talking to him was not easy, his old yet sharp eyes and sharp mind comprehending everything but not voicing it.

He always knew that I was lying, even though he never said it out loud. He was always happy to catch a glance of me, and always waved, even though I didn’t deserve it, especially when I didn’t deserve it.

When he started seeing less of me, he began leaving flowers on my front porch early in the morning, wobbling across the street and placing them carefully next to the plastic plants that were already there. He did it every day without fail, except for yesterday, of course. Yesterday was different.

He never told me about the cancer. He never told me about the destructive cells festering inside of him. He only told me that I was broken and that was okay, because he was broken too. I never prodded, and neither did he. I never told him about my grandfather, and he never told me about his cancer. Tit for tat.

I planted my first flower under his watchful gaze, and I wore it in my hair when it bloomed. A certain thrill came with having something that I brought to the world. I imagine that is what mothers feel like the day their child is born and they get to hold them for the first time. I wouldn’t know.

I don’t know why I never told him about my repulsion towards having children. I never told him that I was scared that I would mess up the life of the child I would have, that I would be a worse parent than my own parents were to me. I never told him that I had not found any man worthy of spending my life with. I told him nothing of any importance, to be honest.

I wish I had. Today, more than other days, I wish I had told him everything. Maybe then he wouldn’t have left, and I wouldn’t be standing here in front of all of you, giving a eulogy I never thought I would be giving any time soon.

He was caring. More caring than my parents, more caring than my exes, more caring than the friends who come and go. He was always gentle. He treated me as lovingly as he treated his flowers, with as much compassion and kindness as he did everything else.

He was the only true friend I ever had, the only one who I wish had stayed. Because him being there was more of a comfort than I had ever imagined. I had never wanted to rely on someone, but he was worth relying on. He never let me down. It was me who did that. It was me who stopped coming over, me who started avoiding him. It seems right that I suffer for this by not having him in my life anymore.

I don’t believe in God. He did though. So, if there is a God as he said, please hear me out. Please keep him happy for me. Please give him seeds and fresh soil to plant his flowers. Give him enough rain and sun to help him make his garden. Please accept his flowers and talk to him. He would like that. Also, let him meet my grandfather. Maybe they could talk about me together, they could watch over me together, they could be okay together.

I don’t know when I will be okay. I know that it will take some time. I hope you’re listening. I will be okay, I promise. I will become okay because of you; I am sure of it. You will be there for me, even when I can’t see you. I know you’re here right now, wearing your large coat and holding a bouquet of lilies for me.

I hope you like the flowers I picked out for you, I placed them at your grave. I took them from your garden, from the patch you had left for me. I knew that you would take care of the flowers I had grown a year ago. The forget-me-nots that I have given you will never wilt. I will replace them every day if they do because I will never forget you.

March 25, 2021 16:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

160 comments

AntMan 🐜
16:12 Mar 25, 2021

OMB this story just brought tears to my eyes! I love the emotion and how you played it out. Beautiful job! Also, #StopDownvotingNow Share this to ten friends :D

Reply

Writer Maniac
16:17 Mar 25, 2021

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it! I would spread it, but I feel like it will be pointless. Only a few weeks back, my points went to 0 from 4900. I know exactly how horrible it feels. But I don't think anything will stop our precious downvoter.

Reply

AntMan 🐜
16:28 Mar 25, 2021

That's OK😅 I agree, but I don't know what everyone's trying to achieve exactly. This is all kind of new to me. Thanks for your opinion! 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kat Sencen
03:32 May 08, 2021

Wow. This was a really great story, basically a better version of the story I wrote that you just read. But this weaves in doubt and sadness and so many other things I never would have thought of. It was a really good use of the prompt and had a really creative title. As for critique, hmmmm... maybe you could talk more about the characters. If that were the case, this story would be the best I've ever read. As it is now, it's a close second (first is "I like to be Cold" by Zilla Babbitt.) I loved this!!!

Reply

Writer Maniac
04:06 May 08, 2021

Thank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
01:32 Apr 29, 2021

There are simply no words. This. Is. Amazing. WOW!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:18 Apr 29, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
21:22 Apr 28, 2021

This is a brilliant story overflowing with beauty and emotion. A few things that I picked up that could possibly be improved are the last few paragraphs, 'I don’t know when I will be okay. I know that it will take some time. I hope you’re listening. I will be okay, I promise. I will become okay because of you; I am sure of it. You will be there for me, even when I can’t see you. I know you’re here right now, wearing your large coat and holding a bouquet of lilies for me. 'I hope you like the flowers I picked out for you, I placed them at...

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:15 Apr 29, 2021

Thank you so much for the feedback! I would really appreciate it if you upvoted me a bit, I used to be at 6110 points :(

Reply

Arwen Dove
02:18 Apr 29, 2021

:) Sure thing! All I've been doing this afternoon is upvoting people anyway!

Reply

Arwen Dove
02:56 Apr 29, 2021

I've just upvoted all comments on 15 of your stories,.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
MD Guerrero
06:20 Apr 28, 2021

My goodness. I can see why this is on the top of your list. Took me a moment to think about it. It is beautiful. I think that this is how eulogies should be. The impact of people in our lives (the ones worth relying on as you said) are deeply personal in ways that is hard to describe to others. And the pain of their loss is present, maybe even stronger, in the small, seemingly insignificant, moments of our lives. You used the flowers here perfectly to depict this. Love and pain go hand in hand sometimes. I feel the pain, and I feel the love ...

Reply

Writer Maniac
06:39 Apr 28, 2021

Thank you so much for such a beautiful comment, I really appreciate it!

Reply

MD Guerrero
22:04 Apr 28, 2021

No problem at all. I like the way that you write. I'm actually brand new to writing non-work related things. Do you think it would be possible if you could take a look at my writing and send over any thoughts you have on where I could improve? I would really appreciate it. :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:17 Apr 29, 2021

Sure, I'll check them out when I get time :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
02:18 Apr 29, 2021

Also, I would really appreciate it if you upvoted me a bit, I used to be at 6110 points :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nadya Garza
23:40 Apr 27, 2021

Wow, this is just beautiful. The way the story unfolds to turn into a story of friendship and grief is just so unexpected. But once I realized what happened I couldn’t stop reading. And the prose here is just beautiful. Beautifully done!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:24 Apr 28, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:32 Apr 23, 2021

This is so sad and loving. I want to know more about the narrator, and if she'll be okay again. It was such a sweet story about a girl who met an old man. You definitely have talent in this! It's a great story! The beginning was excellent and my favorite part, it really makes the reader want to read more.

Reply

Writer Maniac
12:44 Apr 23, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dorsa S.
17:18 Apr 21, 2021

such a beautiful story, truly unique. the forget-me-nots mean for many things, and the way you have woven it into this story is spectacular! very genuine and real. :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:47 Apr 21, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:53 Apr 19, 2021

You ask and you shall recieve! I love this one. I love how the perspective shifted from a narrator sort of person to the main character giving a eulogy. So relatable, thanks for this story :) Now for the actual feedback... The one thing I would say is maybe to talk a little bit more about her life, like her grandparent that passed away and how he relates to this kind old man. Love this story :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
13:58 Apr 19, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I don't know whether you caught the fact that the narrator is a woman, just thought I'd mention it, seeing that I specifically said that he considered her his granddaughter. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ann Tillinghast
23:22 Apr 11, 2021

I enjoyed reading your story, even though, its sad 😢 You have written it well.

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:16 Apr 12, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Just a suggestion to you, when you leave a comment, leave one that's a little bit more detailed. I and a lot of other writers on Reedsy really appreciate knowing what went well and what went wrong in the story, so instead of just a one line comment, maybe write some more. That's just my thoughts, it's up to you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anuja Dhoot
23:01 Apr 11, 2021

You asked me to give you some feedback on Forget-Me-Not and here I am... It is a beautifully crafted story, with a lot of effort put in to make the theme of the flowers flourish and you pulled it off greatly. Reading this story makes me miss my grandfathers, fortunately both of them are still here today. I think you have a great plot to the story and I enjoyed the fact that the story did not feel incomplete despite some facts being unknown to us. To be honest, I felt this was a perfect story but if I were to give some feedback, there was t...

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:19 Apr 12, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm really glad you liked it! The line you pointed out, I think you may have misunderstood its meaning. By that line, I was talking about the neighbour, not the narrator. I meant that the flowers wanted and needed the neighbour himself to tend to them. The narrator didn't want the flowers to realize that she was not the neighbour. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for reading, and for the feedback!

Reply

Anuja Dhoot
08:22 Apr 12, 2021

Oh i see it! Thanks for letting me know!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anuja Dhoot
08:22 Apr 12, 2021

Oh i see it! Thanks for letting me know!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anuja Dhoot
08:22 Apr 12, 2021

Oh i see it! Thanks for letting me know!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 5 replies
Show 1 reply
Amarah Friedman
17:04 Apr 11, 2021

What a beautiful story. I like how you reveal it's a eulogy only once we're already in love with the characters. It makes it even more touching. You've used a beautiful reminiscent tone that truly gives a voice to your narrator, and your choice to have them plant forget-me-nots works really well. If you're interested in adding onto this gem of a story, consider describing the scene where he teaches the narrator to plant flowers in more detail. That's a teary moment that provides some action to a piece that's mostly rumination. Really grea...

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:06 Apr 11, 2021

Aww, thank you so much for such wonderful feedback! I'll be sure to work on what you have suggested, thanks again for reading! I'll be sure to check out your story soon!

Reply

Amarah Friedman
18:26 Apr 11, 2021

Awesome! Thanks:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Riya 🌺
17:10 Apr 09, 2021

Ohmygosh!!!! This story, wow, I'm speechless. I will always remember this story, especially the ending. I just love how she gives that like message to God like he believed in you so please keep him happy. I never felt bored through the entire thing, your word choice, and how while reading your story, you got to know the whole background story made it so emotional.

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:13 Apr 09, 2021

Aww thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
15:03 Apr 07, 2021

Well first off, I liked the alliteration in the first paragraph. Very well put together also. I also liked all the metaphors with the flowers and the thought you put into each flower you talked about. Your imagery is on point. I don't think I have any comments or concerns or criticism. It was very well put together. The introduction of his cancer nearly brought me to tears. I had connected so much with the story I had gotten lost in it. The euphoria of it all is just so addicting. I can tell you put a lot of thought and effort into this st...

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:08 Apr 07, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm really glad it resonated with you! I had actually written a romance story and didn't like it at all, so I deleted the whole thing and started over. I wanted to focus on a deep friendship and have some flower related symbolism. It really surprised me when so many people said that this story touched them or made them cry, which is what I've always wanted to do :D Thanks for reading!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
15:10 Apr 07, 2021

Of course!! I haven't been on your page recently but you popped up on my activity feed and I thought "Why the heck not" so here I am😂😂 I actually love reading your writing it's so.... touching and personal!!

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:13 Apr 07, 2021

😂😂I'm glad you came. Thank you so much, that really means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Kelly
13:47 Apr 06, 2021

The forget-me-nots fit perfectly into this story! I loved the sadness of the story mixed with the flowers and all the metaphors. Awesome ;)

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:11 Apr 06, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Kelly
13:31 Apr 06, 2021

I really liked the mysterious air of this story! The emotions were spot-on! Awesome job ;)

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:11 Apr 06, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nettle Swanson
00:50 Apr 01, 2021

This is amazing! The title is so clever :) Do you think you could proofread a few of my stories? I would really appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:15 Apr 01, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I'll definitely do that when I get the time :)

Reply

Nettle Swanson
03:18 Apr 01, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Asha Iyer
10:01 Mar 31, 2021

Lovely writing. It felt like riding the crest and trough of thought waves, with the nuanced emotions tugging at the heart strings. You will go a long way as a writer, Write Maniac. <3

Reply

Writer Maniac
11:15 Mar 31, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
09:15 Mar 31, 2021

I have very few words for the story. It's pure awesome and it balled my eyes out. I read it 10 times. That's all I can say. Everything was spot on.

Reply

Writer Maniac
11:15 Mar 31, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
07:03 Apr 08, 2021

Is there any problem here, Mania.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
11:48 Mar 31, 2021

Can you please check on Hangouts? I messaged you...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Kim Kline
18:35 Mar 29, 2021

This was such a beautiful story. It made me tear up more than once! Really beautifully written <3

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:17 Mar 30, 2021

Aww thank you so much, I'm really glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.