The Cobalt Crusader’s Turn

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write a story that features a protagonist with an archnemesis.... view prompt

53 comments

Funny Urban Fantasy Fiction

“Sweet Lady Liberty, this is a nice kitchen.” 


The Masked Deceiver dropped the cup of tea she was holding and phase-shifted two feet into the air, making a noise that was half way between a kitten that had been stepped on and a quickly deflating balloon. She landed inelegantly on the kitchen floor and swore as a shard of porcelain bit into her bare heel. Looking round for anything she could use for a weapon, she snatched the nearest thing to her and brandished it at her arch nemesis, the Cobalt Crusader. 


“How did you find me?” squawked the Monster that Stalked the Streets of Brooklyn and Struck Fear into the Hearts of Men. 


The Champion of All Justice raised an eyebrow behind her stylish face mask at the whisk being waved threateningly at her. 


“Oh please. We’ve had your address on file for months, Satveer.” It was a lie, of course. Lockdown meant that there were fewer people on the streets and she had seen her fiercest rival grocery shopping earlier in the week and followed her home. Satveer’s government recommended surgical mask covered the same part of her face that her villain’s mask did and the Heroine in Blue had recognised her instantly. A quick look through the post revealed both Satveer’s real name and that she was an ardent supporter of a local cat shelter. 


“Why haven’t you come for me before now then?” 


This was a reasonable question to ask. 


“Well… you’ve not been very active since we discovered your lair-“ 


An indignant squeak. “This is not my lair! This is a very expensive loft! I have people over for brunch.” The lair was uptown and had none of the interior design that this did. It was high tech and shiny but there were no ornamental pineapple lamps or Himalayan salt candles. 


“Since we discovered your loft, then. You’ve been laying low.” 


“There’s a worldwide pandemic.” The whisk circled the air around Satveer’s head in an exasperated manner. “Unless you’ve somehow missed that. I thought you of all people would want me to take some time off! Don’t you have asthma?” 


“I - how do you know about my asthma?” 


“You’re not the only one who can do research, Sally.” Satveer glowered at the do-gooder leaning on her breakfast nook. There was a tense moment where egos battled silently before Sally threw her hands in the air in surrender. 


“I didn’t come here to fight,” she said, sounding defeated. “I actually came to tell you that I get it now. I get why you do what you do.” 


Satveer considered her for a long moment and finally put the whisk down. She made sure it was close enough to get to if she needed it but the Cobalt Crusader was honest to a fault - it was kind of her thing. Well, that and super agility, which was probably how she’d managed to slip in the open kitchen window in the first place. 


“I thought you were committed to defending the city?” Satveer said, refilling the kettle and pulling out two new mugs on the kitchen island, careful not to turn her back to her guest. She gestured at the stools on the other side of the custom made countertop. It was Italian and a small part of her hoped that her adversary was appreciating it. 

Sally sighed and came to sit. “I was. I am.” 


Satveer pushed the coffee, cream, sugar and tea bags in front of her and Sally picked up the sugar spoon morosely. “But quarantine makes you think, doesn’t it? There’s lots of crime still but it’s… well, you have to think about what your priorities are.” 


Satveer set the mug of hot water in front of her, feeling very much like she should be wiping the bench down with a wet rag and pouring shots of whisky instead of Twinings.


“It’s like,” Sally continued, trying to find the words that she was chasing. “I mean, do you remember our last big showdown?” 


Satveer’s mouth twisted slightly. She was hardly likely to forget it - she was still doing regular physio exercises for her shoulder. She was lucky that it had been a few weeks before lockdown because the physiotherapist had closed up only a few days after her last session. 


“You were trying to kill that CEO.” 


“Mark Gecliff.” 


“That’s him. Anyway, my power was superior and I beat you. You failed.”


This was said so casually that Satveer momentarily lost a bit of control and phased her hand through the milk jug instead of picking it up. The Masked Deceiver and the Cobalt Crusader had a fairly even hit rate and while, yes, technically the last round had been won by the good guys, it wasn’t because Sally’s power was innately stronger. If that were true, Satveer would’ve been behind bars years ago. The truth was that it had been a long week and fatigue was a greater enemy to super villains than any moron in spandex could ever be. She scowled. 


“I didn’t know why you were going after him but we thought, y’know, murder is illegal. When we found out what you were planning, I was sent to stop it.” 


Sally finished tracing abstract patterns in the top of the sugar bowl and cupped her hands around her warm water, completely forgetting to put any flavour into it. 


“But I couldn’t work out why you’d targeted him. Sometimes it’s obvious and sometimes we find out but we were in the dark on this one. Normally the higher ups give me a new case to keep me focused but, quarantine, y’know? I tend to roam the streets a bit and they prefer to have me on the important crimes.” 


This confirmed Satveer’s suspicions that heroes were like badly trained puppies and just as easily distracted. She gave a non-committal hum and fished under the counter for the cookies. 


“So I started researching.” 


Satveer had located the chocolate chip cookies and was displaying them artfully on a Morrocan style plate that she’d stolen last year. She was content in the knowledge that Sally wouldn’t eat them; the only thing that the Cobalt Crusader had put near her mouth since appearing in the kitchen was her own ragged thumbnail. 


“It turns out that he’s the head of Yumz - you know, the chocolate company? Did you know that they were up to some seriously shady stuff? They’ve got links to modern day slavery and drug cartels in South America. They’ve even been linked to the malaria crisis in Nigeria. It’s all on the internet, if you look carefully enough.”


Did Sally actually think she was so unprofessional that she’d plan an elaborate murder for someone she hadn’t researched thoroughly? Also, was Sally using Google as her sole method of research? 


“I used to love their caramel chocolate. They add a bit of salt to it and it just makes the flavours pop.”


“The added zing of human trafficking gives it a certain je nais se quoi, too,” added Satveer dryly. 


“Well this is my point. I can’t enjoy the chocolate anymore. I keep imagining all those little baby hands picking cocoa beans and it just makes me so sad.” Sally looked up, eyes wide and lip trembling. She, again, reminded Satveer of a puppy - this time of the kicked variety. “So I went to speak with Mark Geclick.” 


“Gecliff.” 


“Right. I went to his penthouse and had a whole - responsibly socially distanced - conversation. He was very charming and sweet although I think he thought I’d shown up in the middle of the night for other reasons. It’s lucky I can take care of myself because he was quite handsy and quite insistent. But when I sorted out the misunderstanding-“


“I hope you kicked his ass. That’s sexual assault, Sally.” 


“No, don’t be silly. He only grabbed my backside a few times. Tried to kiss me. That kind of thing happens a lot.” 


Despite herself, Satveer found herself feeling quite sad. She pushed the chocolate chip cookies closer to Sally. 


“We ended up having quite a long chat. I’d printed out all the proof I’d found so he could see it and he looked through it all.” 


“I want to guess the ending.” Satveer had been through a similar process herself. She had a rep to maintain so the non-murder options had been pursued in her civilian persona. “Did he very nicely tell you that the proof you were holding was fake news? Then when you cited your respectable sources, he got angry? Went on a bit of a rant about you not getting it? That he had a responsibility to his shareholders and that the people in the articles actually got treated very well and had a better quality of life than they would have otherwise? And that sometimes the price of doing business included dealing with people who were fairly unpleasant but the drugs would get into our country even without Yumz helping them out? Did he then make snide remarks about your intelligence because you were female?” 


Sally stared. “You’re psychic! This explains so many of our fights!” 


Satveer pulled the plate back towards herself. Idiocy on that level didn’t deserve cookies. 


“So what did you do then? After you found out that he was a complicit scumbag?” 


“I reported him, of course. The … group … that I work for-“ 


“You can say the government. I know they hold your strings.” 


Sally inclined her head in silent agreement and pushed away from the island suddenly. Satveer winced at the sound of metal chair legs scraping her reclaimed oak floorboards.


“They said he was a horrible man but not a Bad Guy. He gives the country a lot of jobs and has a huge impact on the economy. They explicitly told me to stand down!” She whirled to face Satveer, who was unable to reply around her mouthful of crumbs. None of this was remotely surprising and her cup of tea was fast approaching an undrinkable temperature. Sally, on the other hand, was quite agitated. “I even told them that the guy in line to take over was less slavery minded and they said that he wouldn’t be as good at driving the economy as Mark Gedickhead.” 


Satveer saw no reason to correct her this time. 


“I started looking back at our fights. Did you know that all the people you go after are shady in one way or another?” 


“I mean, in fairness, only about 85%. None of them are saints but sometimes I also need to make a little cash. Mamma gotta pay her bills.” Satveer found herself leaning to the side slightly to block an original Van Gogh from sight. Sometimes the bills weren’t electricity or water but she’d never felt guilty about enjoying the perks of super villainhood before. Seeing it through Sally’s eyes made her feel a little uncomfortable though. Perhaps that money could’ve gone to helping people but didn’t she also deserve nice things? Her cheek twitched a little. Sally was carrying on obliviously. 


“I’ve stopped you murdering hundreds-“ 


“Fourteen.” 


“- of people and I always thought that it was obvious that you were the bad guy! Because, murder, y’know? But how many people have I helped enslave? How many people have I helped do unspeakably horrible things?” She seemed close to tears and Satveer could relate; she hadn’t started as the Masked Deceiver. She’d been through this epiphany herself although, admittedly, she’d had it a lot earlier on in her career than Sally had. 


“Last time we fought, you did a whole fancy speech about right and wrong being subjective. You asked me to join you.” 


That had been a great speech. There had been emotional notes, rousing anti patriotism. She’d even referenced Martha P. Johnson and Rosa Luxembourg. 


“In fact, it was your monologuing that let me get in the winning blow.” 


It was perhaps too good a speech. She’d gotten swept along by it and had completely missed the Cobalt Crusader sneaking along the ceiling joists. 


“But the Yumz thing got me thinking about it and I think you might have been right. My side is getting it wrong. We’re letting people get away with whatever they want as long as they have the right amount of money.” 


“So you’ve decided you want to murder them all?” 


Sally blinked, shocked.


“Not all of them!” 


Oh. She was fine with small scale murder then. 


“Just the ones who are getting away with worse. And maybe those protecting them.” 


Medium scale murder. Yikes. 


“So… I have a proposal. I think we should team up.” 


Satveer began to tidy up. She had been campaigning for Sally to switch sides for a while but without any hope of it happening. In fact, she was a little unsure now. It was like giving a child the entire ice cream cart - where did they start? Could they handle the whole thing? Would the child murder every flavour and then maybe turn on the ice cream vendor? 


“Okay,” she said, as she finished washing the crockery. She dried her hands on a tea towel. “We’ll start with Mark Gecliff and see how you do.” 


Sally nodded, her face serious. 


“There are rules and caveats and I have a whole threat about cutting you up into pieces that will fit into Tupperwares if you double cross me but we can do that later. What I do isn’t straightforward violence, Sally. It’s planned, structured, surgical. It takes time and effort and you have to know that killing leaves its mark. You have to make sure the end justifies the means. You can’t just slaughter haphazardly. If you do this, you’ll be fighting for the people and they won’t know it. They’ll think that you’re the villain and you’ll be hated. But if we do this my way, you’ll make more of a difference than you did as a government employee.”


Sally pulled her mask off, giving Satveer a clear view of her face for the first time. She had a determined look in her green eyes and she put her hands on the kitchen island, leaning in towards her nemesis. 


“I don’t want to do it your way.” 


Satveer froze. Damn it, this had been a trap. 


“Your way is almost as bad as Mark’s.” 


Satveer hissed through her teeth. Insulting her in the middle of a knock down fight in a skyscraper was one thing but this was her own damned kitchen. 


“You murder and you ruin lives. You’ve got a beautiful home,” Sally ran her fingers over a vase that contained over a hundred dollars worth of flowers and Satveer quietly picked up the whisk again, “but it’s built on blood. How many people lose their jobs or reputations when you steal something? The security guards? The museum curators?” 


“I steal high value things. It hurts the rich.” 


“Does it? They’ve got insurance.” 


Damn. That was a fair point. 


“I don’t want to join you, Satveer and I don’t really want you to join me. Neither of us are getting it right, don’t you see?” 


Satveer looked at the whisk. Did she need it or not? 


“So what the hell are you proposing then?” 


“That we team up. We find a middle ground - one where we hurt the people who need hurting but not the ones who don’t. We find a way to protect the poor, the victimised, the sick and we find a way to make the bastards who did it to them pay. We work together, we balance each other and we help whoever we can. Stop wasting energy fighting each other every week. You want to help people; I know you do. Why else would you be targeting CEOs that are doing that much damage? You’re a good person who got a bit lost along the way. I can help you with that and you can help me do what needs to be done. What do you think?”


Satveer looked into Sally’s eyes, gleaming with zeal and, Lord help her, she felt it too. Maybe her speech in the last battle had improved Sally’s oration skills. She’d not got into the super villain game for personal glory or wealth to begin with but when you’re outside the law, why not enjoy it a bit? Besides, all her super villain friends had fancy houses. Maybe a bit of it was keeping up with the Joneses. What Sally was offering though... it felt like being offered the chance at redemption that she hadn’t even known she wanted.


She put down the whisk. 


She squared her shoulders. 


“What do I think?” 


She leaned so that her posture mirrored Sally’s. 


“I think we’re gonna need a kickass team name.” 

June 28, 2020 12:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

53 comments

Jonathan Blaauw
12:42 Jul 08, 2020

Of all the stories I've read on here so far, I think this is one of my favorites. Your writing is so clear and articulate. The characters and plot are also brilliant. I got a real feel for the pair, their interplay and dialogue develops their relationship expertly. And, best of all, it's hilarious. And clever. And relevant to global events. I've added reading your other stories to my ever growing to-do list.

Reply

Elle Clark
12:51 Jul 08, 2020

Of all the reviews I’ve had on here, I think this is one of my favourites! Thank you so much for your kind words! Let me know if I can offer any feedback on any of your stories 😊

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
08:30 Jul 09, 2020

Thanks. I can’t stop laughing at Gedickhead… I know you must have a ton of read-requests, so I don’t want to overburden you. But, since you’ve so kindly offered, my execution story (its called The Execution) could use an experienced look-over, when you have time. Just because I had to stretch myself with it a bit, but because it’s an area I’m passionate about (historical fiction) I’d be interested to know if I got the tone/feel right. For future attempts. The level of critique will depend on the story, I think. But don’t hold back – if it...

Reply

Elle Clark
09:20 Jul 09, 2020

Of course - I’d be happy to! I’ll do it today 😊 Writer’s trio is what it sounds like. I started writing end of May because my group of mum friends couldn’t meet up anymore because of lockdown (we’d not been able to meet before that obv but we didn’t start writing till May) and one suggested we do a bit of creative writing to pass the time. Only three of us were interested but we’ve kept it up. Every week we find a picture or prompt and write a short story. It’s been a lot of fun! We keep giving each other challenges too. This week we have...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amith Shaju
12:51 Jul 04, 2020

Really good storyline. I really loved how you pointed out the impact on the security guards. Everyone forgets about the "little" people. Also, Satveer = Good brave/ Good warrior. Hope that was intentional but kind of gives a twist. Also the resemblance to Catwoman. But really nice conversation. Good job!

Reply

Elle Clark
13:49 Jul 04, 2020

Thank you! I’m not sure I follow the Satveer thing?

Reply

Amith Shaju
14:03 Jul 04, 2020

I thought it was intentional... In Sanskrit (and other Indian languages) Sat = Truth Veer = Warrior/ Champion So Satveer = Champion of Truth

Reply

Elle Clark
14:06 Jul 04, 2020

That would have been amazing and I wish it were the case but sadly it was chosen because my writing trio set a ‘use our names in the story this week’ challenge and they happen to be called Sally and Satveer! I wish it had been intentional though. I’m going to tell people it was.

Reply

Amith Shaju
14:10 Jul 04, 2020

Haha...nice! Also could you review my work if you get time. Haven't written for ages. So could use a good critic like you. In fact, I checked your story after I saw your critiques.

Reply

Elle Clark
15:07 Jul 04, 2020

Of course! Well that’s lovely - I hope my stories matched my critiques? I’ve got more experience helping people improve than writing things myself.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sarah Kaderbek
03:36 Jul 01, 2020

Hi, Laura! I hope this critique is helpful and not horribly disappointing after your kind words about my comment on Ranya's story. But here goes. :) First, I loved your combination of the light tone and dark subject matter! To borrow an art term, it created a "chiaroscuro" effect that I quite loved and will certainly be imitating in the future! The wry tone and quarantine humor especially were really well executed and spot on. There were a few instances though where that vibe got thrown off balance for me though. First, a quic...

Reply

Elle Clark
04:46 Jul 01, 2020

I think I might love you. I knew it wasn’t working properly but I couldn’t figure out why. I always struggle with endings and this was no exception - now that you’ve put it into words, it makes total sense. I think I’ve still got ~500 words before I hit the limit so I will rework it a bit. Maybe I’ll explore the other 15% of Satveer’s murders. It already didn’t sit well that she was killing corrupt businessmen and still buying herself pricey artwork. It doesn’t fit with her agenda necessarily. Thankfully I still have time and word allowa...

Reply

Sarah Kaderbek
12:29 Jul 01, 2020

So glad to be of help! I have done some freelance editing work, but I am pretty new to fiction-writing myself, so if you get the chance, I always appreciate any feedback on my stories!

Reply

Elle Clark
13:22 Jul 01, 2020

I’m similar in that I’ve taught the building blocks of writing and marked/assessed it over all age ranges for about ten years but have only put pen to paper myself, so to speak, a couple of months ago. I’ve commented on your latest story - I hope it’s helpful!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elle Clark
21:58 Jul 02, 2020

Sarah, I’ve changed the ending in response to your feedback. If you have a spare minute, would you mind just giving it a quick look and letting me know if you think it works better? If you’re too busy, don’t worry!

Reply

Sarah Kaderbek
13:03 Jul 03, 2020

I love the new ending!! It matches the tone and meets the quality of the rest of the story, as does “sweet lady liberty.” :) Great rework!

Reply

Elle Clark
13:14 Jul 03, 2020

Thanks! And thank you for your help improving it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sayani Sarkar
07:54 Jul 04, 2020

I love the idea of them sitting and discussing things out. That thought is indeed very unique and it's so engaging and funny at so many places. Loved it !

Reply

Elle Clark
08:32 Jul 04, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shayla Danielle
22:42 Jun 30, 2020

I really enjoyed reading this! It kept me intrigued. I also want to say I LOVED how you incorporated current events. How brilliant to set it during the quarantine!

Reply

Elle Clark
10:11 Jul 01, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
10:37 Jun 30, 2020

Laura, I read the story again as promised. The only thing I felt was the lack of a backstory. Some insight into their past together would have been nice. I am not saying it as a drawback. The story works perfectly otherwise too. On a side note, I am still struggling with my story!

Reply

Elle Clark
10:42 Jun 30, 2020

Thanks for looking! I did consider putting in a flashback of one of their battles but thought it would break the flow too much?? I’ll have another look. Which story? Can I help at all?

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
10:58 Jun 30, 2020

The story for this week. Fantasy isn’t my genre at all. But I have a plot in mind. I will submit it in 1-2 days and see how it goes.

Reply

Elle Clark
11:02 Jun 30, 2020

I’m sure you’ll nail it though. If you want me to critique it or anything, just let me know!

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
11:04 Jun 30, 2020

Sure! Thanks Laura!

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
14:13 Jul 02, 2020

Hi Laura, I just posted my new story. Would you mind having a look? That wasn't an easy one to write. Phew!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
22:41 Jun 29, 2020

Enjoyed the story. Blurs the lines between good and evil. Killing is bad, but depends if you are taking out evil. Isn't that a good thing? Well done.

Reply

Elle Clark
05:37 Jun 30, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Imane Sah.
17:23 Jun 29, 2020

Good Story..... I like it so much KEEP GOING 🌸🌸🌸🌸

Reply

Elle Clark
17:50 Jun 29, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Imane Sah.
18:07 Jun 29, 2020

Thank you I hope you like my stories also.... 🥰🥰🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:04 Jun 29, 2020

Hi Laura! AMAZING story Laura! I loved the way you potrayed all the characters in your story and I enjoyed reading your story! It's really good! Loved it!😊😉 Looking forward for more stories from you! Keep writing and have a great day Laura!❤️️

Reply

Elle Clark
17:50 Jun 29, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

01:41 Jun 30, 2020

No problem Laura!😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
08:42 Jun 29, 2020

This is a very unique take on the prompt. I like how the arch rivals are discussing their issues in a very homely setting, over a cup of tea and a plate of cookies. And I also loved your portrayal of their characters. The ‘asthma’ reference was cleverly done to show that they have got weaknesses too. Well-written! I get your point about ‘out of comfort zone’. I am not into writing fantasy/science fiction. So it’s going to be a challenge for me as well.

Reply

Elle Clark
08:54 Jun 29, 2020

Thanks - I really struggled with this as it’s so different from my usual. Have you got anything you can see that would improve it? Anything that needs tightening? Your positive comment has made me a little more confident about it though, thank you!

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
09:27 Jun 29, 2020

I didn’t find anything particular that needs to be changed or improved. I will read it one more time later and will let you know if I think of something.

Reply

Elle Clark
09:44 Jun 29, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Courtney Stuart
02:47 Jun 29, 2020

This was a really interesting story, as well as a unique interpretation of the prompt! I really liked the characterization of your two characters, and how well you reflected current events with this. I was interested in how you explored the concept of 'everything not being so black and white' within such a short frame. You always do such a good job with the development of things like characters and thematic concepts, especially when you're given only a maximum of 3k words! I also liked your reference to Marsha P. Johnson and Rosa Luxemburg! ...

Reply

Elle Clark
06:12 Jun 29, 2020

Thanks! I was massively out of my comfort zone with this as I tend to find descriptions and intense emotions much easier to focus on. I have no idea of the humour works or if the conversion from goodie to baddie even tracks believably. Still not confident with this but grateful for your comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
18:20 Jun 28, 2020

Great story, Laura! Once again:)

Reply

Elle Clark
18:29 Jun 28, 2020

Thanks! Different style to my usual so I’m less confident about it. If you’ve got any improvements, I’m all ears.

Reply

Batool Hussain
16:44 Jun 29, 2020

You nailed it, Laura! Mind checking out my new story? Thanks.

Reply

Elle Clark
17:49 Jun 29, 2020

Of course - I’ll check it out soon

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shreya S
09:35 Aug 17, 2020

You know how there’s these tumblr posts where they come up with these ideas and the other person reblogs it with ‘SOMEONE WRITE THIS’? I loved reading this because this is exactly like one of those ideas, and this was even better because it wasn’t like the ‘bad’ guy turned good or the good guy turned bad, they both worked together to reach a sort of place that fits in with what both of them think. The story is hilarious and uk, real at the same time. Now this is my favorite story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Juliet Tullett
20:50 Jul 12, 2021

Great characters, elegant dialogue and topical. Also, I loved the comic references to decor. Very enjoyable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kyler Mattoon
13:35 Jun 15, 2021

I don't know if you have any plans on continuing the stories you put on here.....but I would buy and devour EVERY SINGLE BOOK in a series like this. I love the way you write so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.