Warlocks are bad news

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

“I can’t believe you convinced me to go book shopping with you.”

“Oh, babe, I thought you already realised that you can’t resist my charms.”

“So what are we looking for?”

“Don’t worry, I already know where it is.”

“Why did you need it so urgently? Couldn’t we have waited till the morning, it’s so late?”

“I need to learn something by tomorrow.”

“Magic.” She sighed.

“Yes, magic. Some of us aren’t born with it, okay? I have to find scrolls and books to learn. I know you don’t understand, but please, just try to not make me feel guilty for following my passion.”

“Passion? Is that what you call it? Fighting in UFC*s is not passion! It’s stupidity and carelessness and illegal!”

“I promise it’s legal this time, okay. I will tell you as soon as I’m through.” I kissed her on her forehead, reassuringly. It probably didn’t work, but I had no other way of easing her worries.

“Fine.” I thought that was it, but then suddenly she bumped into me and started to scream. I instinctively covered her mouth with my hands, while holding her close to me whispering in her ear: “It’s okay, calm down. I’m here.” while at the same time searching the dark library for what might’ve frightened her.

“Jeez, keep a handle on your woman, bro. We’re gonna get caught otherwise.”

“Caught?!” She pushed herself away from my chest, glaring daggers at me. “What did you get me into?”

“Wow, darling, you don’t have to act like you’re in the dark, I won’t rat you out, promise.” He said, moving closer to her.

“Don’t you dare.” I slid in front of my girlfriend, swatting the stranger’s hand away before he could touch her.

“Bit overprotective are we?”

“Why are you here?”

“The same as you. A very important book.”

“Which one?”

“Oh, why would I tell you?”

“So we can go our own ways, without hurting you.”

“We? The girl can do magic too?”

“Not. The. Point. Answer!” I growled.

“Wow, wow, chill out, man. I’m here for that one.” He said backing away, pointing behind me. As I turned around, I felt immense pain in my abdomen, I doubled over. I quickly snapped back to see, him already casting another spell.

“Helia, protection.” I managed to whisper. I was in so much pain.

“What’s happening?”

“I’m guessing he’s a warlock. A strong one.”

“What does he want?”

“No clue.” She put up a shield and I cast a healing spell, feeling somewhat better.

“Can we beat him?”

“I need the book.”

“Not an answer.” I sighed.

“I’ll try to find out what he wants.” If he only needs a book, then maybe he’ll let us leave, if it’s something more personal… now that would be problematic.

“Hey, bro, what do you want? Can’t we just go our own ways? I find my book, you find yours, and no one gets hurt?”

“You think you can cause me harm? Is that a challenge?” His eyes glimmered, he was eager to fight.

“No, no it’s not. It’s an alliance. We can help each other, by not getting in each other’s way.”

“An alliance? Hmm…How about this, you’ll keep a lookout while I do my business, then we'll switch?”

“What exactly will you do?”

“I thought allies trusted each other.”

“Trust is built on knowledge.” He laughed.

“What kind of idiot taught you that? You should’ve killed them, ridding the world of stupidity is a noble goal.”

“Is that what you’re doing?”

“Something along the lines, yes.”

“Who’s your patron?”

“None of your business, that’s who.” Helia was struggling with the spell, it wasn’t gonna last for much longer.

“Fine, we’ll guard the door.”

“Oh, I'll need a helping hand though. Maybe your pretty partner?”

“She wouldn’t be much help, she’s blind.”

“Well, she wouldn’t be a good lookout either, would she now? So she’ll be staying here, helping me.” I did not like this man, nor his plan, nor his freakin’ over powerful spells.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.” Helia tried comforting me.

“If you dare to touch her, I will kill you!” I warned him, knowing very well that they were empty words. I walked out of the big hall.

It was dark outside. The moon wasn’t up yet, and the stars’ light didn’t seem to reach the ground. The air was chilly, but not for long. Winter was ending, slowly you could see the signs of spring here and there: a small snowdrop or a sapling with green buds. There were other, less obvious ones, like the air turns warmer, carrying a new distinct scent. Before Helia, I never noticed. She taught me so much. I couldn’t imagine how such an innocent flower managed to stay so pure after all that happened to her.

“And she didn’t let be burn the church down…” I murmured to myself, thinking of our first meeting. I started pacing up and down, waiting for time to pass. How long did he need? What were they doing? Is Helia okay? I know she has strong spells, but I can’t help but worry about her. Is this how she feels whenever I leave?

The door swung open, and the stranger stepped out, holding some papers in his hands.

“All done. You can go, I’ll keep a lookout.” I didn’t even hear what he said, I ran inside looking for Helia.

“Helia?!” I tried staying quiet, we were trying to not get caught, after all. I heard her grunt from somewhere in the back. I sprinted to her side. She was under a window, trying to get up.

“You need to leave! He called the guards.”

“What happened?” I could see she was struggling. I just couldn’t see why.

“Leave, please.”

“Explain, now!”

“He made me use Earthbind” she replied, giving in. “So would you please, just go.”

“It only lasts for a minute, I’ll wait.”

“They’ll find us. Are you fit to fight?” I had taken a lot of damage after the warlock’s attack, but I will not leave her here.

“Yes.” She rolled her eyes.

“Well, I’m not, the warlock stole my bag, with all of the ingredients I’d need for my spells.”

“Maybe we can sneak out.”

“Yeah, cause we’re both so stealthy.”

“I won’t leave you, so we’ll just have to try our best.” I kept thinking about the book. We had some time, maybe I could find it before they arrived. But I couldn’t leave Helia here.

“Get the book. At least let’s make this trip worth it.” I smiled at her and ran.


*Ultimate Fighting Creatures

April 29, 2021 09:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.