29 comments

Romance Sad Fiction

She came just before the sunrise.

She sat quietly next to him, as quick and silent as a shadow, just as the sky erupted in a palette of blushing pink and yellow fires. He turned his head towards her, liking better the way her eyes reflected the view before them like two mirrors; and he watched as for a few seconds, a ball of fire rose within them.

"Hey," he murmured, tucking a dark strand behind her ear.

A smile curled her lips, and she turned his way. "Hey," she answered, equally as quietly. Her hand came up to rest on his, feeling soft and small and smooth in his bigger, rougher one.

"I missed you," he said. He watched as the corner of her lips turned downwards and her eyes looked sadly at him.

"I know," she whispered, caressing his cheek. "But you know I can't stay."

"I know," he murmured and kissed the corner of her rosy lips. A sigh escaped her and so he continued to drag his lips over her cheeks, loving the way her skin felt so incredibly soft against his, or how her fingers entangled in his hair. He nuzzled his nose against her neck and breathed in that sweet smell which always clung to her, of sea salt and night stars.

He watched as she lay on her back, her billowing dark cloak spread beneath her like a shadow engulfing her frame. Her white arms rose to wrap themselves around his neck in two ribbons of ivory, her long tresses mingled with her cloak, and her silver eyes stared at him from beneath heavy eyelashes and fair eyelids.

The steadily rising sun cast flaming colours to her pale skin, highlighted sharp angles in gold, and casting others in shadow. He marvelled at the way her skin was like diamonds crushed into velvet, of how cool and fresh it was, like living snowflakes.

He kissed her like a desperate man. She was his oxygen as he dived in the sea, as he fell down a cliff, as he tumbled in the dark, and he lost himless like he had done countless times, every day, for years, and what sometimes felt like eternity.

He stroked her rich hair, those ebony strands of silk, like stormy clouds wreathed together, cut from the darknest of night, or the deepest of oceans. His hands strayed over her face; sculpted marble and visage of an angel; her parted lips of dewy rose; her fair brow, in which sat strength and wisedom; her eyelashes of dustings of charcoal; the fevered silver eyes that gazed at him, and only him.

His avid eyes took in her body, like a goddess, she basked in golden light, it rained down on her from the heavens, and he knew he could never tire of this, of her.

And she let out a sight and drew away from his embrace, her cloak tight around her. Her hair clung to her cheek, and fell over her eyes and so he reached out to tuck it behind her ear. She turned her silver eyes towards him, where he knew lay love and desire, and traced the planes of his weary face with her gentle fingers.

"You have stolen my heart," he said, the words escaping him before he knew it.

She let out a chuckle, a peal of laughter, and rose, away from him. "I know," she said, her voice falling down on him. "It is safe in the keeping."

He tried to catch her, but she darted out of reach, out of touch, always further, always higher. He wanted to call for her, but he knew he should not, knew it would not matter. For she was a goddess and he was a man, she was the heavens and he was the dirt beneath her lovely foot, and yet, she loved him, chose him.

"Wait," he shouted, his voice hoarse.

He chased after her because he could not stay, alone, even though he knew she would be back the next day. He knew he would never reach her, but he tried anyways. His breaths dwindled, his legs shook, his heart pounded like loud drums in his ears, but he continued.

"Come back!" he called.

Her laughter followed him wherever he ran, her cloak rustling like the wind on a starlight night, because she knew he could not catch her; but she loved him for trying anyways.

He followed her to the West, over hills and mountains, to the tumbling of the seas, to the crashing of the waves. He watched from the shore, the water lapping his weary feet, as she bathed her fair body in the foaming Ocean. Her ebony hair floated by her breast and with one last look of silver eyes, one last wave, one last mischievous smile and a promise to be there for the rising sun, she disappeared within the dark waters.

The nights are not so lonely when I know you're there, watching.

And so he sat down, felt his back groan in protest, massaged his tired feet, and waited. The young Moon rose, slowly and languidly, a beacon of silver, shining brighter than the scattered stars above, casting her loving, laughing glow over him. He felt it wash over his greying hair, over his face marred by time, and closed his eyes.

She'd cast down her golden crown when he saw her first. She had said she had never seen a mortal so fair, that she had beheld his beautiful face as he slept, and wanted him, but he did not believe her. He resisted at first, thought himself too simple, too plain, to unworthy, but she continued to convince him, to kiss him, to change his mind, until he gave in.

It was a hard thing to love a goddess.

And now he was old, nearing the end of his time, and she had not changed, her features unwavering, unchanging, familiar, like silver stone. Her fingers retained their green strength, but his did not, and sometimes he felt the bitter taste of mortalitly and death nearing, of respite. He glanced at his brown hands, at the shaking within them, and wished, once again, that he was still young. Still alive.

He coughed, but smiled wryly.

In the silence only unbroken by the steady rythm of the waves, he stared at the water, at the ondulating orb of white drawn on the black waves, and smiled at his lover.

He closed his eyes, and finally, he let sweet sleep claim him, and embraced it.

And for years later, they would speak of their love in great tales, known through all the world, of the love between Endymion and the Moon.




November 20, 2020 11:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

13:07 Nov 21, 2020

hey friend! :) what a story! i love how each sentence is long and flowing, almost metaphorically like the old love between Endymion and the goddess. I also enjoyed your descriptions, it felt like reading poetry! some personnal favourites of mine: "He stroked her rich hair, those ebony strands of silk, like stormy clouds wreathed together, cut from the darknest of night, or the deepest of oceans." "her cloak rustling like the wind on a starlight night" "She was his oxygen as he dived in the sea" and for that last quote, after reading t...

Reply

Sophia Thorne
13:57 Nov 21, 2020

Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed it! This makes me so ᕼᗩᑭᑭƳ Yeah I worked on those descriptions a lot, but to me it sounds a little heavy, and I almost overdue it. Ughh, editing and proofreading is not something I excel at. Thank you Ads for reading it ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:56 Nov 21, 2020

I don't really know what to say except I love who you made the characters be and had it with the myths and all that, I think you should continue to make more stories and ill give it a 10/10 :) I've always loved Greek and a few other mythologies and I'm always excited to read about anything with it ^^

Reply

Sophia Thorne
20:58 Nov 21, 2020

Thank you!!! I definitely will write more stories in the future :)

Reply

B. W.
21:12 Nov 21, 2020

No prob ^^ make sure to tell me when you get them out

Reply

Sophia Thorne
21:22 Nov 21, 2020

I will :)

Reply

B. W.
21:40 Nov 21, 2020

yay ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
18:54 Nov 21, 2020

Hi Sophia! For your first story, this was incredible! I write a lot of myth retellings here (please check them out, if you can!), and I thought about doing a version of this myth but decided against it. I ended up doing an Icarus retelling. There were a few sentences sprinkled around that could use some work, and I feel like lengthening out this story could give you more room to explore the characters, but your descriptions are on point! Keep up the good work!

Reply

Sophia Thorne
20:57 Nov 21, 2020

Thank you! Icarus retellings are my favourites! I'll definitely got check yours out. I'd really appreciate if you'd tell me which sentences need more work and I'll happily check them. And yes, I wanted to write more, but at the same time I wanted to write less, if that makes sense? Oh well... Thanks again :)

Reply

Maya W.
21:10 Nov 21, 2020

Totally makes sense, lol. I look forward to your feedback!

Reply

Sophia Thorne
21:24 Nov 21, 2020

Yeah, but it might take a while as I'm drowning in work. :/ I would love to hear which sentences need to be fixed (as you said some needed some work). :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Sophia, Lovely descriptions you gave, it was so beautifully written, Keep writing! (do check out my stories and tell me what you think!)

Reply

Sophia Thorne
20:59 Nov 21, 2020

Thank you, it gladdens my heart to see you say this. :) I'll check your stories out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ru .
19:34 Nov 24, 2020

Wow, this touched me in a way that stories haven't touched me in a while. This is utterly gorgeous and your descriptions are stunning. Your sentence structure is coherent and flows graciously. My only critique would be to check your grammar, just a couple spelling errors and missing prepositions, nothing big. Overall, you have so much potential. I await your future works! Would you mind checking out my latest story and leaving your thoughts?

Reply

Sophia Thorne
04:52 Nov 25, 2020

Thank you very much, you nearly made me blush! I agree, fixing my grammar isn't my strongest point, but I'll try to fix it better next time! I will check it out. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
18:32 Nov 22, 2020

Wonderful story. It felt like a myth come alive. Thank you so much for writing it. Only two questions: Did you mean "she let out a sight" or "she let out a sigh"? And: Did you mean "It is safe in the keeping" or "It is in safe hands"? If the former, I've never heard it phrased that way before. It sounds poetic that way.

Reply

Sophia Thorne
18:52 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you very much for your comment! :) It really pleases me to hear you say that. To answer your questions: I did mean "a sigh" and that really bugs me that I let a typo slip through the cracks. If I could edit it I would. Thank you for telling me! And as for the other, I did mean "It is safe in the keeping." I agree, it sounds quite poetic, something the Titan of the Moon would say? It's meant to be odd and different but beautiful too. Anyways, thank you again! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
09:26 Nov 22, 2020

Hello Sophia! I loved the description and the flow of your story. I'm a great fan of Greek mythology, and this story was amazing! Great job!

Reply

Sophia Thorne
09:29 Nov 22, 2020

Thank you! *beaming* I'm a great fan of Greek mythology too (as you can guess), so that makes me really happy. :)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
09:41 Nov 22, 2020

Welcome :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
15:55 Dec 20, 2020

Loved the description 💜

Reply

Sophia Thorne
05:59 Dec 21, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Amel Parvez
10:25 Dec 21, 2020

You are welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:05 Nov 22, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Sophia Thorne
18:59 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you! :) I'm a sucker for Greek mythology... I'm glad you think so! I agree, next time I write a story, I won't go as much into the descriptions, but I guess I kinda wanted to explore the goddess as seen through Endymion's eyes? It was meant to be poetic but yeah I overdid it. (I admit it ;) ) Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
21:53 Nov 23, 2020

This story is amazing! You did a great job with descriptions.

Reply

Sophia Thorne
05:08 Nov 24, 2020

Thank you!! :)

Reply

Ari Berri
15:29 Nov 24, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.