89 comments

Funny Drama

“Do I sit here? Oh, here, alright. Yeah, I’m ready. I just answer your questions? Okay, what-Live? Oh!”

The lady gave a strained smile at the god, before turning to the camera and giving a grin. Her black hair was up in a fantastic updo that swirled on top of her head. Her makeup was perfect, and she was wearing a neat white blouse and blue skirt.

“Hello, and welcome back to Talking to the Forgotten! I’m your host, Ms. Inta DaVoid!”

The crowd cheered and clapped. When they quieted down, Void continued.

“Today, we’ll be talking to a forgotten calendar god. Introducing...April, the old prank god!”

There were more cheers and clapping as the camera focused on the small god in the chair beside the host. Their hair was bright green, and they were wearing hot pink jeans splattered with paint, and a neon yellow shirt.

“April, tell me, what is it you do?”

April smiled at the camera. “Well, the only time I really do anything is on April first. You know, April fools day?”

“Of course! Now, how is it you’ve been forgotten? Everyone loves April fools!”

Now April had a strained smile. “Yes, I know. Apparently my pranks were too tame, or too much.”

“Care to give us an example?”

“Well, back in the old days, I used to put out candles when people were working. Everyone thought it was hilarious! But then things got more advanced, and light bulbs became a thing. It wasn’t as funny when I’d take those. Apparently, they’re expensive or whatever.”

“Well, that seems quite tame. Give us an example of one that went too far?”

“Well...once I caused traffic to keep everyone from work. And by the time they could drive, I popped all the tires!”

“That does seem like a lot.” Void laughed with the crowd. “That doesn’t explain why you’re forgotten, though. What’s that about?”

“Yeah...I got replaced.”

“Replaced? Why, that’s terrible! Who’s your replacement?”

April scowled. “March.”

“March? Well, that doesn’t make sense.”

“That’s what I said! But the Great Calendar said I wasn’t fit for the job! So they had to move me up to May!”

“May? Well, that’s a shame. Does anything fun happen in May?”

“Sometimes Easter,” April grumbled. “But otherwise, not much. I want April back!”

“Well, that is definitely a shame. But we’ve got a surprise for you all after the break!”

Cheery music played, and the show cut to commercials. Void sighed.

“I’m getting too old for this.” She muttered as the makeup crew rushed onto the stage.

April sat quietly in their seat. They had never been on television before, and weren't sure if they were allowed to get up.

They hadn’t really wanted to do this, but Void had said it could give them a chance to get they’re job back. April doubted it, because March was such a good April, and he would never give them their job back.

“Alright, alright,” Void said, waving a hand at the makeup crew. They scurried away.

“Live in five, four, three, two…”

Void grinned at the camera. “Welcome back! We’ve been talking with the forgotten calendar god, April. We have a special guest today. Introducing...March!”

April’s jaw dropped as March strolled onto the stage. He was a tall guy with short brown hair. He had on a green shirt and jeans-he always wore green. He was an attractive god, and April saw Void smiling at him flirtatiously.

He sat in a chair beside April, flashing a blinding grin at Void. April scowled, crossing their arms.

“March, hello!” Void said. “How are you?”

She didn’t ask how I am. April thought.

“I’m splendid, Inta-can I call you that? Thank you so much for inviting me on the show!”

He’s charming as ever. April grumbled in their mind.

“It’s no big deal, March. Now, tell us, how do you like your job as April?”

“I love it! Quite honestly, I think I’m doing an amazing job. As much as I liked March, April is so much fun!”

He’s so annoying.

“Well, do you think you deserve the job? I mean, poor April, they got moved to May.”

Can we stop talking about this?

“I definitely deserve the job. April was too scared to really prank people. And when they did, it was too much.”

“Are you telling me you aren't scared to get the job done?”

“Of course not. I’m not scared of anything!”

“I would expect as much from you,” Void laughed.

April grumbled at the two under their breath as they talked like they weren't there.

“Well, I think we definitely know who the better April is.” Void laughed. “Thank you two so much for coming!”

April gave a strained smile. “Yeah.”

“Of course!” March says.

April stands, and turns to March before pinching his arm. March yelps.

“But...but...I’m wearing green!”

April rolled their eyes, and walked off stage. March stood to follow them, but couldn’t get up.

“What-did someone prank me?” He exclaimed.

Void tried to get up, too, but couldn’t. They were both glued to their seats. April giggled at them from off stage.

“Cut the cameras!” Void called.

“We-We can’t!” One of the camera crew members said. “Something’s wrong!”

March managed to get up, though it ripped the back of his pants. But when he got up, he hit a trip wire.

A paint can fell on his head, and pink paint dripped down his shoulders. He yanked it off his head, revealing his soaked pink face and hair.

April skipped on stage, and held out a box, smiling. “Here, do you need a towel?”

March snatched the box, and pried it open. Glitter shot out, covering him, and sticking to the paint. Void, who was still stuck to her chair, looked terrified of being pranked.

April walked over to Void, and held out their hand. “Need help?”

Void muttered under her breath, and reached out to take their hand. As soon as she did, she shrieked.

“An eclectic buzzer? Seriously?” She demanded, snatching her hand away.

April laughed. “I can’t believe you fell for that!”

“Security!” Void shouted.

Four men in black police uniforms started to run onstage, but slipped, and tumbled to the ground, knocking March over, too. That made them hit another trip wire.

April pulled an umbrella out from under the chair they were sitting in, and opened it as paint rained down. Void, the security guards, and March were all soaked. Glitter came next, and stuck to all the paint. April closed the umbrella, and grinned.

“Have fun cleaning up!” They said. “Bye!”

And with that, they walked off stage.

April 01, 2021 16:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

89 comments

16:41 Apr 01, 2021

First of all, I simply must point out that it may be an amazing month and should never be ridiculed; it doesn't have to have a holiday to be good either; it's just warm enough, but not too wet and gross like march. Second; You made april so interesting, lol. Love his outfit.

Reply

Ari Berri
16:46 Apr 01, 2021

Yeah, that's true. Glad you liked it! (April's non binary, by the way.)

Reply

16:48 Apr 01, 2021

AHHHH NO I'm sorry I read your bio, and I have to throttle you, Ari :)

Reply

Ari Berri
16:50 Apr 01, 2021

XD

Reply

17:02 Apr 01, 2021

Okay, but after reading your bio again, I just realized how similar we are 1: Kinda similar styles 2: Long ass series with amazing characters 3: Lgbtq, lol 4: I'm basically a Capricorn, but like also a libra cancer aquarius pices mess 5: Our interests are nearly the same, except I only watch like ANIME (I'm a loser, lol) and I make music/ listen and make edits, lol 6: I would challenge you at just dance, but the john wayne extreme version trumps me, lol 7: Hypocrites unite, lol 8: Okay, I won't say anything about your height, but from guesse...

Reply

Ari Berri
17:09 Apr 01, 2021

Oh, that's cool. What part of LGBT are you? Nice job with the riddles, the last is bubbles.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
12:05 Apr 02, 2021

Master mind. High IQ that is ARI

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Jocelyn Nelson
16:33 Jul 21, 2021

I really enjoyed the attitude of these characters and happily followed their interactions

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
16:56 Apr 01, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ari Berri
17:00 Apr 01, 2021

...it was a prank. I'm sad that you're leaving, you're such a good friend! I hope you'll come back.

Reply

Unknown User
17:10 Apr 01, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
12:04 Apr 02, 2021

Oh no please do not say a word about leaving I am afraid about that word it is scary my dad left me on 24 April due to heart attack my mother left me when I was only three years old everyone left me alone and now I like to be lonely and keep my self busy in writing though I am not that good but I enjoy writing good for my one year child and for my daddy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
17:12 Apr 01, 2021

XD Oh, okay, tell me when you're back!

Reply

Unknown User
17:15 Apr 01, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:52 Apr 01, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ari Berri
16:53 Apr 01, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Unknown User
03:55 Apr 04, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ari Berri
16:17 Apr 04, 2021

Yessssssssssssssssss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.