Contest #257 shortlist ⭐️

66 comments

Funny Friendship Drama


I couldn’t bear waiting at home all week, but I didn’t want to miss the call. They told me they were interested so the phone might ring at any time. Maybe they weren’t concerned about my availability or they were playing hard to get? I’ve had important roles before, of course. No sign of a romantic lead, but that could happen. Whatever part I’m playing, even if it’s a walk-on, I own it and make my mark. I’m a serious person and can’t help getting involved. But it’s funny, you know, because I never get the serious roles. Everyone remembers how well I played Badger from The Wind in the Willows. Badger was an earnest character, but that’s not the same as a serious role. 

   Everyone agreed I was the finest Badger the Rose Theatre had ever seen, and the cast said I’d created a lasting impression. On the opening night, I recall Rat’s mouth falling open and Mole dropped his egg-spoon when I appeared on stage. ‘The hour has come,’ I said, with gravity, and noticed Rat staring at my button fly. I’m certain the audience wasn’t distracted by my trouser malfunction when I said, ‘It’s time to take Toad in hand.’ However, their silence spoke volumes as I took centre stage, delivering my lines with assurance and imbuing the play with a sense of dignity. The audience loved us, even if the critics were undecided. ‘Long-winded tragedy or willowy farce?’ They were unclear in the reviews, despite our nightly standing ovations.

   The point is, I’m ready for a major role and when I heard about the casting call for The Winter’s Tale, I knew it was for me. The part of Antigonus would suit me fine and had my name etched all over it. I could imagine my face on the posters around town and people recognising me. ‘Can we have your autograph?’ they’d ask, and I’d oblige them with a winning smile. The opening night party would be an opportunity to wear my tuxedo. I’d have to lose a few pounds mind you, but that’d be my incentive. Maybe I should have a shave too? I don’t think Antigonus would have a full beard. They were all clean shaven in those days.

   Pring! Pring!

   “Hello, Michael’s phone. How can I---”

   “Hey, buddy! Have you heard anything?”

   “Not a word, Brian. The casting director said she’d call when Trevor’s decided.”

   “That’s promising…. I guess.”

   “She said. ‘Your number’s on the C.V., right?’ and I said, ‘The landline’s best because my mobile has poor reception.’”

   “So, you’ve been stuck at home all week?”

   “I sure could murder a pizza, Brian.”

   “Hey, buddy, should’ve said so.”

   “You’re the best, Brian.”

It’s funny how your luck can change and jobs arrive out of nowhere. I was working in Lorenzo’s Restaurant on the night Gerry was celebrating his wife’s birthday. He’d cast me as ‘The Gruffalo’ last year and said I was perfect for the part. The kids loved it and The Rose Theatre extended our run for an extra month over the summer. We were fortunate because August was dreadful weather-wise. It rained every day and the box-office made a mint from ticket sales. Anyway, Gerry asked if I was working and I said, ‘Yes and no.’ He nodded and said I should get a C.V. to Cathy at The Rose. ‘Trevor’s in town and putting on a show,’ he said. ‘Do you mean Sir Trevor?’ I asked. ‘Yes,’ he said, perusing the menu. ‘The word is, Trevor’s had a couple of no-shows.’ Gerry placed an order for lasagne and mentioned Shakespeare and The Winter’s Tale, and something about Antigonus and one other role. ‘If I were you, I’d pop over a C.V. and P.D.Q.’

   As you can imagine, I wasted no time and went round to see Cathy the next morning. Cathy knows all the right people and never forgets a friend. ‘Antigonus is a wonderful part for you,’ she said. ‘I know you’ll bring your magic to it.’ She’s such a sweetheart and put in a good word for me in Trevor’s shell-like. They were drawing up a short list and she flipped my C.V. onto the top of the pile. It’s who you know, not what you know in this game. Trevor’s assistant, Shelly, called me the next day. 

   Pring! Pring!

   “Hello, Michael’s phone. How can---”

   “Michael,” said Shelly, tapping away on a keyboard. “Trevor wants to meet you tomorrow.” 

   My mouth gave way, and I sat down with a bump. 

   “Michael…?” 

   “That’s amazing.” I said, retrieving my jaw from the carpet. “What time suits?” 

   “How about four o’clock?”

   “I’m there already.”

It’s fortunate that I have a working knowledge of The Winter’s Tale and I’m familiar with Antigonus and his tragic end. My thought was to rehearse Act 3 and Scene 3 where his ship sinks and he leaves the baby in Bohemia prior to his terrible fate. I’d mentioned it to Shelly, and she’d said, ‘I’m sure that’ll be perfect.’ I spent the rest of the day and half the night cramming the text. Over and over again, I rehearsed each line until every word rang true and chimed like a mellifluous bell in a deserted ravine.

   On the day, Trevor was a proper gent. He greeted me in his office and asked about my intention, which I explained. ‘Perfect,’ he said. ‘I’m particularly interested in the last section after Antigonus has reached land and abandoned the baby.’ 

‘I can give you much more than that,’ I said, preparing my vocal cords for a vigorous onslaught. Trevor smiled and said, ‘That won’t be necessary for now, Michael. Shelly will cue you in with the stage directions and you can pick it up from there.’

   (Thunder!)

   “The storm begins.

   Poor wretch,

   That for thy mother’s fault art thus exposed

   To loss and what may follow. Weep I cannot,

   But my heart bleeds, and most accurst am I

   To be by oath enjoined to this. Farewell.

   The day frowns more and more. Thou ’rt like to have

   A lullaby too rough. I never saw

   The heavens so dim by day.”

   (Thunder and sounds of hunting!)

   “A savage clamour!

   Well, may I get aboard! This is the chase.

   I am gone forever!”

   (He exits pursued by a bear.)

If anything, my mistake was to impersonate the bear with a mighty growl and make the sounds of a ferocious beast mauling the wretched Antigonus. Trevor raised an eyebrow and shot a side glance at Shelly, who shrugged in response. ‘Well,’ Trevor said, stroking his goatee. ‘I can’t fault your enthusiasm, Michael.’ I picked myself off the ground and brushed myself down. ‘Thank you,’ I said, beaming like a Cheshire Cat. ‘I thought the cries off stage would add an air of realism to the ending.’

‘Indeed,’ said Trevor. ‘It certainly added something special, Michael.’ Shelly flashed a brief smile and Trevor said, ‘My office will let you know either way, as soon as we’ve made a decision.’ With a warm feeling in my guts and a nervous smile on my face, I left my audition. It’s rarely I bare my soul, but I was sure that I’d aced it. I’d nailed it for certain. A dead cert. 

   Brian knocked on my door later, holding a couple of Dominoes’ twelve-inch specials with extra pepperoni. ‘Any news from Trevor?’ I told Brian about the audition and how I’d given it my best shot. ‘When will you know?’ he said, munching on a slice. ‘It’s up to Trevor, but it could be soon.’ Brian chomped some more and swallowed. ‘How soon is soon?’ There was no telling. ‘Soonish, I guess.’ 

Trevor’s assistant, Shelly, called me three days later.   

   Pring! Pring!

   “Hello, Michael’s phone---”

   “Michael,” said Shelly. “I’ve got good news.”

   “What did Trevor say---”

   “He wants to see you again.” 

   My hand trembled as I sat down. 

   “Are you free today, Michael?” 

   “Today’s fine.” I said, closing my eyes. “What time suits?” 

   “As soon as possible?”

   “I’ll be there.”

The second meeting didn’t go the way I expected. Trevor didn’t hold any punches. He greeted me, offering me a seat in his office, and Shelly took an order for coffees. ‘There’s been an unexpected change of circumstances, Michael,’ he said, stirring two spoons of brown sugar into his espresso. ‘Jonny’s throat has made a remarkable recovery, and now he’s able to resume rehearsals for the part of Antigonus.’ 

My furrowed brow revealed my thoughts as Trevor settled his spoon on the little saucer. ‘I spoke to Cathy earlier,’ he said, summoning Shelly to top up his cup. ‘She reminded me you have experience as the Gruffalo?’ I nodded, sipping my drink.

‘Your improvised piece impressed me at the end of your reading.’ I thanked him, but the truth dawned on me before he asked, ‘Would you consider the bear?’

   I thought it was too good to be true. Walking into a major role wasn’t likely, was it?

O.K., I’m biggish and my voice is deep, but I have a surprising range and ambition. However, thinking about it, I’ve lots of ideas about how to develop the bear’s character. I’ll play the creature in a way they won’t expect. I’ve got ideas for the costume already. Maybe I could make the bear more frightening? Perhaps I could wear a bell to announce my arrival or add lines of dialogue to extend the moment. I’m sure I can persuade Trevor. He can recognise talent when he sees it.


The End



July 06, 2024 03:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

66 comments

Carol Stewart
21:21 Jul 07, 2024

I did wonder if the 'other role' would be that of the bear, but lots to like here, good laughs along the way.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:56 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Carol, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your reactions; it’s lovely to discover you enjoyed a few hearty chuckles along the way. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
13:21 Jul 07, 2024

Unbearable situation to find himself in. Sorry, couldn’t resist. Great fun and relatable story that highlighted the ups and downs of being an actor so well. However, Michael seems an indefatigable kind of character. If he keeps beavering away, I reckon he’ll get the role he deserves. Eventually. Great use of Shakespeare’s lines and wonderful response to a prompt which defeated me.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:53 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Helen, Thank you for reading my scribbles again and sharing your thoughts. I had a lot of fun scratching this one out and I’m glad the humour translated onto the page, and trust you enjoyed a chuckle or two…. I’m sorry not to read your take on this week’s prompt; I had a feeling I’d be in for a treat if you’d submitted a story…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Helen A Smith
06:55 Jul 08, 2024

I wanted to write a bit on a modern day king Lear or a take on Much Ado. Only problem was needed about a month to do it. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
11:16 Jul 07, 2024

Had a real giggle towards the end of this one. Cast as the bear! Oh, no. My son is an actor. He's played the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors and did so well. But other parts have been comic characters. He had been cast in that role a number of times. It happens in drama when you are seen as a particular type of character, you can get type cast. But a badger, Gruffalo, and then a bear. Poor You. Enjoyable read.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:46 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your experience; I don’t envy your son’s vocation because an actor’s life is most demanding both physically and mentally. The will and determination to succeed has to be all consuming; it’s a tough life. I’ve friends who are actors and they have a fair mixture of success and failure; I’m afraid it’s either feast or famine. Anyway, I wish him well and hope he finds some satisfying roles; I’m sure he will eventually, as long as he avoids being typecast as a bear…… Take care HH :)

Reply

05:39 Jul 08, 2024

Beware the bear!

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:56 Jul 08, 2024

Indeed. A lesson for all of us :)

Reply

09:36 Jul 19, 2024

And now, congratulations on the shortlist. PC broken down, new phone that didn't clone from my old one, needed to go out of town suddenly. Totally out of the loop. Lovely surprise here but not. It's a great story. Glad the judges thought so too.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:43 Jul 19, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, Thank you. It was a lovely surprise :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rose Lind
06:39 Jul 07, 2024

Lovely. I laughed when Micheal was asked to play the role of the bear. I also laughed at his wobbles afterwards regarding enhancing Bear's role. Well done.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:36 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Rose, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your positive feedback. I’m glad you liked the humour; discovering you enjoyed it and laughed out loud makes the effort worthwhile….. Take care

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
02:42 Jul 07, 2024

I was rooting for him every step of the way. Humorous with good tension throughout!

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:27 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Karen, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive words and comments; they’re much appreciated….. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
18:30 Jul 06, 2024

GRRR! A great bear he will make! This fits really well with the prompt. and I love Michael's earnest effort to pursue his craft! Good luck in the contest!

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:25 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Marty, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and hope you’ll return to read my future submissions. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Malcolm Twigg
16:03 Jul 06, 2024

I was thoroughly entertained by this and identified completely with the hapless actor. To focus the entire story on one of Shakespeare's most sent up lines and a simple stage direction to boot was an absolute masterclass. Good luck with this.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:21 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Malcolm, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts and reactions. I’m glad you enjoyed it relieved it made sense as well as provide amusement; humour is such a difficult thing to pull off because it’s so subjective. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:59 Jul 06, 2024

Ha ! The bear !!! As usual, a very well-written and well-reflected story. Splendid work !

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:16 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Alexis, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback. I trust it held a few surprises and provided a good reason to chuckle and smile. Laughter can often disguise serious issues and make amusing comments too….. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
13:22 Jul 06, 2024

Though Trevor may come back from the thought that Michael's enthusiasm cannot be faulted, hope does spring eternal. :-) Well worth the wait, as usual.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:12 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Trudy, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughts. I’m grateful you waited for it to materialise and pleased you enjoyed it. As ever, it came together with moments to spare….. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
12:56 Jul 06, 2024

Bearly enough time to rehearse, of course. Beary good. Thanks for liking my 'Much Ado About Nothing' Congrats on the shortlist 🥳. This was the only winner I read this week, I think. So I have a long day of reading to catch up.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:08 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Mary, Thank you for reading my ursine saga and sharing your amusing response. I hope you enjoyed a few giggles as my hapless hero struggled to fulfil his thespian calling…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
03:50 Jul 06, 2024

In the nick of time. Bravo!

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:55 Jul 06, 2024

Phew!! By the skin of my teeth :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
04:08 Jul 06, 2024

I'll give it proper attention tomorrow (or rather, later today) when I'm awake. 'night ps. thanks for reading my train (wreck)

Reply

Howard Halsall
04:16 Jul 06, 2024

Thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
03:35 Aug 21, 2024

Being upset about not getting the lead is one thing but if he can be happy just getting work then it seems like the MC has a good career ahead of him. What inspired this?

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:33 Aug 22, 2024

Hey Graham, How are you doing? I trust you’re keeping well and remain inspired to write…. Concerning your question re: acting work - the story was based on a combination of thespian anecdotes and observations from a career working with and/or alongside aspiring actors. It’s one of those professions that requires both stamina and tenacity because if the face doesn’t fit, one gets dismissed from the job interview with a curt “next!”. It’s not personal, it’s how the business works. HH :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:40 Aug 22, 2024

What was your thespian adjacent career? I’m good. Working on my book and wishing I had more hours in the day.

Reply

Howard Halsall
14:56 Aug 22, 2024

Hi Graham, I’m glad to hear you’re busy on your book and I concur; more hours in the day would be handy. Concerning the thespian connection, I used to be an ADR editor; replacing actors’ impaired dialogue with new studio recordings and ensured accurate lip synchronisation. HH

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:54 Aug 22, 2024

I’m going to pretend I understand exactly what you mean by ADR. Meet anyone in that job worth boasting about?

Reply

Howard Halsall
20:11 Aug 23, 2024

I had 10 years on documentaries and 17 years on cinema movies, so I had some interesting encounters over many years….

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Story Time
14:27 Jul 18, 2024

Howard, this reminded me of those great, concise stories you'd see in a digest. I used to love reading those, and this took me right back there with its wit and heart. Great job.

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:45 Jul 18, 2024

Hey Story Time, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughtful comments; they’re much appreciated…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
10:17 Jul 14, 2024

Congratulations on the shortlist! 🎉

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:03 Jul 14, 2024

Hey Hannah, Thank you for your support :) HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:46 Jul 13, 2024

Congrats on the short list! About time your superb storytelling is recognized again.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:51 Jul 14, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, Thank you for your support; it’s much appreciated and most welcome :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hugh O'Rourke
06:57 Jul 13, 2024

Holds the attention and leaves a nice warm feeling of making the best of every situation. Well done

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:49 Jul 14, 2024

Hey Hugh, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your reaction; it’s much appreciated. Sometimes making the best of a situation is all we have to cope with life’s various highs and lows….. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
15:42 Jul 12, 2024

Congratulations Howard! Well deserved recognition!

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:58 Jul 12, 2024

Hey Ty, Thank you. I always appreciate your kind thoughts and support :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:29 Jul 12, 2024

Congratulations Howard 🎉🎉

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:56 Jul 12, 2024

Hey Helen, It’s a lovely surprise; I’m glad it raised a smile or two :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
15:13 Jul 12, 2024

🎉🎆🎇🥳😃 Congrats!!!!!!!

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:54 Jul 12, 2024

Thank you Trudy, I appreciate your support as ever :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
16:01 Jul 10, 2024

I couldn’t imagine being an actor trying to break out and break through. Terrific Shakespearean folly, and bell-ing the bear is hilarious. When I researched Shakespeare for my prompt, I hadn’t realized he’d coined the famous exit line…

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:48 Jul 10, 2024

Hey Martin, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m glad you enjoyed it and hope it did justice to those legions of talented thespians out there who wait an eon for an audition or a chance to shine; it’s hellish just hanging around. The dilemma is clear; preempt the telephone call and risk annoying the potential employer or play it cool and risk them thinking you’re not interested…. And then there’s the possibility of being type cast and forever doomed to play the bear…. Grrrr! Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.