Contest #38 winner 🏆

120 comments

General

“Yeah, Mom. Just let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you out."

“There isn’t much, hon. Not anymore.”

“Does he still ask for me?”

A pause. 

“No.”

I swallowed thickly. “Well, tell him I love him.”

“Okay, hon, I will. How is the writing going? Have you found any clients yet?”

I closed my eyes. “I’ve gotta go, Mom.”

I put the phone down, running a hand through my sticky, unwashed hair. These calls were becoming more frequent with every passing day. And there was nothing I could do. I wished she would just stop calling.

Picking up my notebook, I stepped outside onto the balcony. This was my daily ritual. One hour outside, just me and my notebook. Call me old-fashioned, but to me, there’s nothing like a pencil and a clean sheet of paper to get ideas flowing. And I needed ideas.

Across the way, a little boy was sitting cross-legged on the floor of his balcony, folding what looked to be a small piece of paper. His family had moved in several weeks before, renting the apartment for what was supposed to be a very short period of time, only a month or two. They didn’t tell me why and I didn’t ask. With everything going on, it seemed their stay was extended. The boy was out there almost every day, practically from dawn to dusk. He was always quiet, so I usually didn’t mind.

Today, however, he kept folding that paper over and over and it was grating on my nerves; not quite loud enough to be reasonable cause for complaint, but not quiet enough to go unnoticed. I turned back to my writing, trying to center my fleeting focus on the task at hand. I picked up the pencil, but found that I couldn’t formulate a single sentence. This had been happening often. Blame it on the confinement or blame it on the cheap wine I had taken to drinking at unreasonable hours. Regardless, nothing was coming. I blew out a breath in defeat, kneading my temples. I was about to give up and go back inside my coffee-stained wreck of a den when something struck the back of my head. Irritated, I turned to find a small paper airplane on the floor beside my chair. I heard a shuffling noise and looked across the way to see the little boy on the opposite balcony. His knees were pulled up to his chest and he had covered his face with his hands. I could make out one wide eye peering anxiously at me from between his fingers.

“You want this back?” I asked, holding up the paper airplane. The boy scrambled to his feet then, opening the sliding door and disappearing inside. I shook my head and picked up the airplane, prepared to crumple it up and throw it away. But when I reached the trash can in my grimy kitchen, something slowed my hand. The kid had made this, had put effort into it. Was I really going to destroy it, just like that?

The little brat will just get more paper and make another one.

I dropped the little airplane into the trash with purpose.

But I made sure it didn’t get crumpled.

The following afternoon when I stepped outside, the boy was there, as usual, sitting alone in silence, folding paper. But no. Not paper. This time, the boy had something much smaller, a pale, buttery yellow. It took me a moment to realize it was a leaf. The kid was trying to make a paper airplane out of a stray leaf. For the first time, I thought that maybe I was wrong. Maybe the boy didn’t have paper. Why had I assumed he had endless resources? Especially in a time like this. I tried reasoning with myself. It made sense to assume someone had access to scrap paper. And anyway, I had tried to return it, hadn’t I? At least I had asked. The kid hadn’t responded. I continued to make these rationalizations to myself as I marched back into my apartment and began rifling through the trash can for the kid’s stupid airplane. It only took a minute to find it, but when I lifted it out, my nose wrinkled. The thing was covered in a pungent mix of coffee grinds and spaghetti sauce from the night before. This plane would never fly again. 

I dropped the soggy mess back into the trash, wondering why I hadn’t thrown the damned thing into the recycling bin.

On my way back out, my phone began to buzz. I already knew.

I let the phone ring for a moment before I picked it up.

***

It took me a while to get out of bed the next afternoon.

When I took up my usual position, I was bleary-eyed and numb. I wasn’t even sure why I went out that day. It wasn’t necessary. I knew I wasn’t going to get anything done. Not after that. Not for a while.

The boy was there, same as always. He had a different leaf this time. A smaller one. I watched him for a long time. Watched him fold that leaf over and over again. Watched his silent tears fall to the floor as it fell to pieces in his hands. I knew the feeling.

I glanced down at the notebook in my lap and had an idea.

I hadn’t made a paper airplane since I was the boy’s age, but I thought it couldn’t be too difficult. Anyone could fold a piece of paper. If I couldn’t accomplish anything else in all my thirty years, at least I could do this one thing. It only took a few minutes and when it was finished, I stood at the corner of the balcony and waved to the little boy.

“Hey kid!” I shouted. “I made you something.” 

He looked up at me and for the first time, I saw the boy smile. Not much, just a tiny lift of the corner of his mouth. But it was enough. I took my stance, lifting the tiny plane with as much drama and grandiosity as I could muster. 

“You ready?”

The kid smiled again and nodded, moving to the edge of his balcony, arms outstretched.

“Okay, here it comes”

And with a great whooshing sound for added effect, I launched the plane. I watched it soar, catching the wind and dancing around for a few brief seconds.

And I watched it spiral to the ground, just missing the boy’s open hands.

It’s cliche, but my heart sank. I swear I felt it, low in my chest, falling with all the false hope I had built up around this boy and his useless airplanes and my useless career. None of it mattered. I had thought I could make at least one person happy, that maybe things would change, if only for a moment. I couldn’t. The only change was another person disappointed in me. Beyond that, I still had no dad and no goddamned money.

It was too much. 

I put my head in my hands and wept, right there in front of the kid. I should have gone inside. When I was a kid, I always thought grownups didn’t cry. The first time I saw my mom cry, it had shaken the very roots of my understanding of life. Adults didn’t do that. Adults were supposed to be invincible. And yet here I was, bawling like I did that day, in front of a child probably younger than I had been at the time. But I couldn’t stop and I couldn’t bring myself to move. I just sat there, knees curled up to my chest, just like the little boy’s had been when he hit me with that airplane. Suddenly I was burning. If he had never thrown that airplane, I wouldn’t be here humiliating myself. It made me cry harder.

When the tears subsided and the sobs that wracked my body lost their fervor, I lifted my head to see the boy was gone. 

I didn’t return to the balcony for two weeks.

When I did, I went out late at night to be sure the boy wouldn’t be there. I did not think I could bear it if he was. Anyway, I enjoyed the stillness and the chilly night air. That night, I sat for nearly three hours, gazing up at the stars and thinking of nothing. It wasn’t until I stood to go back inside that I saw it: a minuscule flash of movement in the far corner of my vision. On the edge of the balcony floor, something lodged between the bars of the railing was flapping feebly in the wind. It was difficult to see among the night’s shifting shadows, but I thought it almost looked like…

I stooped to pick it up, gingerly extracting it from its prison. Holding it in the moonlight, I understood. It was an airplane made of leaves. So many leaves, held together with twine and glue. I didn’t know how, but the kid had done it. I felt certain it was no coincidence that the little creation had come to rest on my porch. The boy had spent days, maybe weeks, gathering runaway leaves in this grey, lifeless city and putting them together with the few resources he had just to send his finished masterpiece to a bitter woman who had not done anything to deserve it. 

A bitter woman who needed it more than a silent little boy could possibly understand.

A lone bird chirped her song far above me; a new day was approaching. I gave myself one minute of contemplation, but not a second longer. There were stories to write and people to contact. Mostly, I needed to call my mom.

April 25, 2020 03:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

120 comments

Zilla Babbitt
13:15 May 01, 2020

So sweet and so sad! I love the symbolism of the paper airplane.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari .
17:40 May 01, 2020

It was an excellent read, though I do admit that it was a little hard trying to visualize the characters. I honestly didn't know the narrator was a woman until she said so herself. Nevertheless, I loved the style and the neat way the ending was tied together. I would like to be able to write like this myself one day!

Reply

Stella Elewa
19:17 May 21, 2020

I know right. I could swear he was a grown man until it was mentioned it was a woman

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
01:52 Jul 29, 2020

Huh. I thought it was a woman all along.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nicole Escorial
00:22 May 02, 2020

I read your story before they even announced the winner, and I thought : Wow, even if this story doesn't win this week's contest, this deserves an award. It's absolutely amazing how you made the "conversation" not that typical "hey-how's-your-day?" one. The silent, paper-plane-throwing was conversation enough for all of us to understand. It's utterly amazing. I love your work. Keep on writing!!

Reply

Clyde Roan
04:30 May 03, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
15:04 May 01, 2020

Hi, I really liked this story and I was happily surprised that it won because sometimes the stories that win the contest are darker or have a massive plot twist or all this wild stuff, but you showed you don't have to have all that in your story for it to be good and win. So GREAT story and the best part is that at the end where it says "there were stories to write and people to contact" that reminded me that I have stories to write and people to contact! So thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:50 May 01, 2020

Congratulations on the win. Well deserved.

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:39 Apr 25, 2020

This is beautiful❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sara C.
03:11 May 03, 2020

I somehow sensed that the narrator was a woman from the very beginning so I'm a little surprised that others were surprised. One eensy weensy, tiny, not even really criticism -- the flourish and sound effects with which she sends the paper airplane seemed a little out of character for the otherwise troubled, listless narrator. Overall though, excellent read!! I really appreciate the unabashed look at the feeling of uselessness and stagnation that can come with depression, even if only a situational depression. Which made the leaf plane at...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Asposhto Prakash
14:15 May 04, 2020

Needed this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sheryl Reddy
19:01 May 02, 2020

Thank you! Great read, how little humans can break the bitterness that grows inside of some adults :) loved it! Congratulations on the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:34 May 02, 2020

Touching. True to real life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Niveeidha Palani
23:20 May 01, 2020

This was really captivating! It had me reading till the end. A well deserved win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:52 May 01, 2020

Your story shows so much about the ultimate power of the human spirit and connection. Congratulations on your win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ivy Spade
21:41 May 01, 2020

Oh wow! Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Montana K.
20:23 May 01, 2020

I. Loved. This.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lucy Frejkova
20:01 May 28, 2020

What a beautiful story! It is so sweet and touching! Well done! Amazing job :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Martin Buckell
10:20 May 23, 2020

Great story, nice rhythm. You write well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bhadra Premchand
18:39 May 22, 2020

Hi , the story is simply beautiful. When the leaf fell from the boys hands and when the boy looked sad and the time when the women threw the paper aeroplane and the boy couldn't catch it , somehow it really touched me. I was able to imagine the story while I read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tina Laing
00:44 May 18, 2020

A very nice story! congratulations!!! On your win!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ray Van Horn
01:36 May 15, 2020

For me, the joy and pain in simplicity often presents opportunity for profound moments to capture. This story reminded me in a way of Ricky in American Beauty filming the floating trash wrapper...it was a marvelous and attentive glorification of the mundane. You have made paper airplane making a bond between generations and it became beautiful and heartbreaking within a bleak setting. Cheers on your win. Clyde.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Scott Smock
16:27 May 14, 2020

This story was extremely well written. However, you could have added a line early on that alluded to her desire to be a daddy's girl. That way we'd have gotten that she was a woman earlier.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.