55 comments

Inspirational People of Color Speculative

"Are you ok?"


No. No I am not ok. Being black in America is not ok. Getting gunned down in the street, unarmed if I may add, is not ok. Showing pride in the black community is not ok. Getting the same treatment as white people, apparently, is not ok. 


But I wouldn't expect you to understand though. Your privilege allows you to walk around invincible. You're practically bulletproof. 


No one blames you for your existence. No one really blames you at all. We're just worried about how now the world sees how cruel people treat us. We're worried how you couldn't have seen it sooner. I mean, the idea of George Floyd's murder happens every day. But no one cared because it wasn't broadcasted on every news station all across America. And no one ever saw so they got by. And you have the nerve to ask if I'm ok.


No I am not ok. 


You don't have to worry about getting turned away because of the pigment in your skin. You don't have to always look over your shoulder when police are around. You'll never have to sit back and let white people tell you how to live your life. You won't.


It's written in history for us. We grew up learning that in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. And when he sailed that ocean blue he told people who had been living there for 15,000 years before him to get out or become slaves. There was no negotiation, just another white person using their foreign privilege to belittle another race.


So now we live in a world tailored to white supremacy. It's tailored to white people living free while people who look like me get treated like dirt.


No I am not ok.


We live in a world where one race hates the other, and that race hates another, and that race hates another. It's an endless cycle. How come we are the land of the free when we can't even get treated equally? It doesn't make any sense to me. Make it make sense.


No I am not ok.


Everywhere I turn, another colored person is dead. Although we aren't in a full-out war, mentally, we've already been there. We're still in that mental war. We have to fight and stand our ground against people who look just like you. 


A police officer said on the news today, "If a person is charging at me with what looks like a weapon, do you think I'm caring what color they are?" No you shouldn't care what color they are, but you should pay more attention to this "supposed weapon" you saw. A bag of skittles is not a weapon. A cell phone is not a weapon. A wallet, for Christ's sake, is not a weapon. 


So no. I am not ok. 


Tell me something. Why do we have to fight? Why did Chauvin hold his knee on the neck of an unarmed, struggling to breathe man? Why am I eight minutes away from being George Floyd?


Why do we have to say her name? Why did those police officers have to break down a door? Why do I have to wait for the police to knock down my door before they announce who they are?


Why can't I own a nice car and not get a raised eyebrow? Get a good job that pays me well? Why can't I feel safe on the road at night? Why can't I get the same treatment as you do? 


No I am not ok.


I am a person. I have feelings, emotions, a brain, time. I have a family who raised me to be caring and loving to all. If I wanted, I could start my own family. But why do I have to raise a kid, prepare him or her for the world, when I have to turn back around and tell him that the world doesn't want them in return? Being a person shouldn't have to have a bullet with my name on it. 


No I am not ok. 


And I never will be ok. I get that. I understand that. Nothing will ever get better. After all, we're just playing a chess game of life. We'll all just keep pushing the pieces across the board until we win, or lose as the government is trying so hard to make happen.


No I am not ok.


Because another black person lost their life at the hands of police. And guess what? No one did a thing to him. He still gets to walk free as if nothing ever happened. I guess it's just another win for the devil, isn't it?


So the next time you ask if I'm ok, think about what I said. Look in the mirror, then look at me. See the differences in both of us and ask the police if they care. 

April 27, 2021 14:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

55 comments

Sunny 🌼
15:37 Apr 29, 2021

"A bag of skittles is not a weapon. A cell phone is not a weapon. A wallet, for Christ's sake, is not a weapon." LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK! you really just spit straight facts this entire time *loud applause*

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
17:12 Apr 29, 2021

YAYYY!!! Thank yous!!! <333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
02:18 Aug 30, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Jace A. King👑
12:34 Apr 30, 2021

This is so true and sad at the same time. Sucks to say that this has happened even to me. I always say people need to speak up but I'm too scared to be that person. Thank you for being brave enough to say the unsaid. Because it really needed to be said. We shouldn't have to feel scared for our lives while talking on a house phone, or holding our wallets, or grabbing our driver's license. We shouldn't have to worry that when we get pulled over this may be my last day alive. And still, we do. It's sickening and It's sad. It makes me wonder how...

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:11 Apr 30, 2021

No thank you for reading my story!! When you said "I shouldn't have to worry If I'm next or if my sisters are next or if my brothers are next." I felt every last word from the deepest of my spirit. I understand what you mean by "I'm too scared to be that person". Hell I really am that person too. I haven't been pulled over or had an altercation with a racist police officer, but I am the age that it normally starts. A few days ago, I was watching "Station 19" and their recent episode really... 'triggered' something in me and I had to write do...

Reply

Jace A. King👑
13:28 Apr 30, 2021

No problem and I would probably say the same thing...if I could get past my anxiety. I'm just telling the truth you are very brave and an amazing writer...

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
14:23 Apr 30, 2021

🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nyx :)
17:09 Apr 28, 2021

I really enjoyed reading this and it is so true! I also love your new pro pic.

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:26 Apr 29, 2021

Thank you and thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:39 Apr 27, 2021

It didn't end at Chauvin; this isn't some video game where we beat one person and the world is saved and we have peace, and I hate that some people are thinking that. Great, great story. I can't even say anything stupid like "I'm bi so I'm minority" because god after reading all your stories and the last years we've had (as well as the courses I've taken in politics and sociology) because I know it's not really. This is intense, it is scary, but most of all, it is the world we live in. And when I read your stories, I know one thing; it has t...

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:18 Apr 28, 2021

My heart. Is currently melting. I mean I got a lil sniffy after reading your comment. Thank you so much for reading this and commenting and like just literally being here. This world that we live in is scary and it is VERY intense at times. So intense that people actually lose their lives. I wish that maybe all of the unhealthy mental games that we go through on a daily basis would just... disappear. We would be in a happier and equal world and not to mention... we would all have the rights that was given to us from birth. So thank you for...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KED KED
15:03 Apr 27, 2021

Damn. It needed to be said. It NEEDS to be said. Thanks for sharing this...certainly a poignant reminder. We won't forget.

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
15:04 Apr 27, 2021

Thank you so much for the read and the comment!! I was just thinking yesterday and I had to write down my thoughts before my mind moved on to something else. I'm super excited you liked my story!!!

Reply

KED KED
15:07 Apr 27, 2021

Honestly it almost read like spoken-word poetry. It was very powerful! I'm glad you captured your thoughts on this for us to feel them with you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
22:42 May 02, 2021

Awesome story! I LOVE your profile picture.

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
18:48 May 03, 2021

Thank you and THANK YOU <333 !

Reply

Ari Berri
19:46 May 03, 2021

No problem.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
15:23 Apr 29, 2021

Hi :) This story was super powerful, inspirational and moving!! That third paragraph really stood out to me. Great job on this story as always :)

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
17:11 Apr 29, 2021

Thank you so much!! Hello!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
17:18 Apr 29, 2021

Hello!! You're welcome, this was a masterful piece of writing and the subject matter is very moving and powerful!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:13 Apr 30, 2021

🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:18 Apr 27, 2021

Everyone needs to read this. It needs to be heard and said. We need to spread diversity and kindness, not racism. Great job. Thank you for writing this.

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:07 Apr 28, 2021

No thank you for reading this!!! It means so much to me!! :DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
20:22 Apr 27, 2021

So powerful. So moving. So true. Thank you for saying the words that needed to be said. As a POC, I agree. Wholeheartedly. Racism towards everyone needs to stop. Thank you for speaking out. -Ana 💕

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:06 Apr 28, 2021

No thank you for reading this!! I can't call it a story because it isn't fake but I also can't call it a memory because this conversation never happened (out LOUD) before...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:52 Apr 27, 2021

Wow, this was great! Everything you said is so true. I think everyone needs to read this. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:05 Apr 28, 2021

No thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read this!! It means soooooooooo much to :))

Reply

13:57 Apr 28, 2021

No problem! I enjoyed reading it :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
17:54 Apr 27, 2021

Really needed in this day. Needed to be heard :), thank you, Carla.

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:04 Apr 28, 2021

No thank YOU for reading and commenting :)

Reply

Sia S
11:46 Apr 30, 2021

Of course :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Corbin Sage
16:40 Apr 27, 2021

I- wow. I'm almost crying. This is such a powerful story. It speaks from a place of pain and frustration that I can relate to, and it's honestly so much more eloquently written than my story that comes from the same place. Never stop sharing this story, please.

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
17:25 Apr 27, 2021

Thank you. So much. The feedback people are giving me on my police brutality and racial inequality stories are amazing!! I really appreciate you for reading my story and commenting. Most of all, connecting with my story!! I know I won't win anything on Reedsy by putting out stories like these (apparently it's an uNpOpUlAr opinion) but at least I get to pour my heart out for the public. Again, thank you so much🥰🥰

Reply

Corbin Sage
19:28 Apr 27, 2021

I'm just going to say this deserves to win (uNpOpUlAr opinion or not). This is amazing.

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:04 Apr 28, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hanifah Kaka
15:30 Apr 27, 2021

This is a very beautiful peace, Carla. I'm so glad I read it. It contains a very powerful message that depicts not only the pain of blacks in America but other people in the world who have been belittled for just no reason. I love itttttt! It's so beautiful!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
15:40 Apr 27, 2021

Thank you so much!!!🥰

Reply

Hanifah Kaka
13:05 Jun 16, 2021

You're welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
15:26 Apr 27, 2021

.... <3 all I can say

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
15:40 Apr 27, 2021

Thank you🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nettle Swanson
17:19 May 12, 2021

This is so well written and relevant! Good job!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
17:24 May 12, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
00:54 Apr 28, 2021

okay. I'm just going to say that EVERYONE MATTERS. I'm putting my foot down on that one. I won't say any more bc we probably have different ideas :)

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:10 Apr 28, 2021

I'm not gonna combat you on this one bc we do have differing opinions... BUT... thank you for reading this!!

Reply

TJ Squared
15:31 Apr 28, 2021

yeah. and np :) how have you been?

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
16:24 Apr 28, 2021

I've been doing just fine!! A little stressed because we have testing this week and next and being a virtual student did not help the situation AT ALL😂

Reply

TJ Squared
16:31 Apr 28, 2021

oof. That's tough.

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
16:34 Apr 28, 2021

The only thing I've learned is Quizlet and Photomath😂 But how've you been?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.