0 comments

Fantasy Urban Fantasy Adventure

Raz closed his eyes as he dipped his hand into the pocket containing the rock. Silently he wondered whether it was the stone or his conscience that weighed on him at this moment. While the small ordinary-looking rock undoubtedly held power that belied its appearance, he was sure it was his conscience betraying him now. 

Why now, he wondered. Why now, when I am so close. 

Regardless, his nervousness compelled him to ensure the weight in his pocket was the one required to seal this deal. Just as the tips of his fingers brushed the rock, a spark of energy coursed through his body. Raz jerked his hand out of his pocket.

Should have taken the stupid box with it. Raz thought sourly.

His eyes wild, he turned a complete circle, seeking assurance that no one had witnessed his lack of ability to handle the item in his care.

Leaning his back against the railing of the crossroad bridge, he inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly, but his mind fought against his efforts to calm himself. 

This was not the first that he had accidentally touched the sacred stone barehanded, despite the many lectures about the stone. Raz had spent his life with the duty to protect this stone, as in doing so, he would save his people. It was, after all, the Stone of Infinity.

Granted, He was not entirely sure why the stone was important. He had not yet tapped into its power. Unlike his brother and sister, his attempts at bonding with the rock were less successful. It was frustrating to the point that he felt that it was all meaningless.

The pointlessness of it all became even more apparent as time passed, as the stone proved the least important to his people. His older brother Cal was charged with safeguarding the Stone of Order. His sister, Lera the carried the responsibility of protecting the Stone of Chaos. Both stones were beyond powerful and sought after and admired in the Dark Realm and beyond. His rock bothered no one and invited no envy.

Raz had long since come to accept what he felt was the reality of his so-called responsibility. His duty, in his opinion, was a mere ruse created by his elders to ensure he was where they wanted him. Raz was not sure why they even wanted him when they had his all-powerful brother. Nevertheless, he was sure they were not blind to his growing discontentment. After so much time, his indifference was beginning to show.

He had always felt the crippling lack of something. It was something he could not quite name, but it grew into an unexpected need. At first, the darkness had helped him hide his desires. His realm was cold, unforgiving as such no one could tell that his half-smiles hid more than the everyday annoyances everyone felt. When someone expressed anger at the audacity of those who challenged his brother or sister, he would join in on tirade, despite knowing that no one could best the Dark Prince or Princess.  

Then the darkness began consuming him. It was almost unnoticeable at first, starting from the inside out. He would awake in the darkness, live in darkness, and sleep in darkness. It was unending. Thus far, his life was nothing but darkness. Now, he was desperate for more.    

Raz closed his eyes again and calmed his breathing. He was the keeper of this stone, its protector, and its guardian. Yet Raz never once felt like it.

Not that he denied the power of the stone. He merely doubted his ability to do what was required.

Perhaps my duty was never to bond with the stone. Maybe I was nothing but merely a means of transportation, taking the stone where it needed to go. Perhaps, the stone did not need to be in the Dark Realm. Raz sigh, then opened his eyes. He had been repeating the mantra to himself since the conditions of the deal were presented to him. 

No true protector would be so readily willing to relieve oneself of this burden, he added.

A sudden disturbance to his left attacked his attention. Squinting his eyes, he saw the exact point the portal started and watched as it widened until it got big enough for someone or something to pass through. Its swirling blue light almost blinding to eyes accustomed to only darkness. 

Raz lifted his hands to cover his eyes, peeking through his fingers at the portal. The light had receded to the edges of the portal. Raz could now clearly see the other side. For a few moments, he saw nothing but light. Then he saw strange scenery filled with various items of different colors. 

It was as though that world was with light, that gave life to everything. And warmth. As his eyes adjusted, he removed his hand and took in the details of what he saw before him. Raz could feel the warm air coming in from the portal, embracing him and awaking something in him. Then an entity stepped in front of the scenery, blocking Raz’s view. It was one of the entities interested in the stone. 

“Do you have it?” it asked curtly. In another setting, Raz would have found the tone to be disrespectful. 

He wanted the warmth and the colors. He also did not want to be the one failing his people. Somewhere between his want and his not wanting, his desperation overcame his pride. He nodded stiffly, his teeth clenched. 

“Good, then come, lets us be done with this business.” The creature bared his teeth in a smile.  

Raz could not help but notice the physical fragility of the creature. It conflicted with the look in its eyes.  

Behind the creature, he saw things. Things that called to him, telling him that there was more to life than living in darkness.

Raz took a step forward and then another. He raised one foot, and just as he placed it into the portal, another portal opened behind him. Engrossed in the turmoil of his decision and the allure of what he might achieve, he did not turn to look. 

“Raz!” his brother’s voice came.

Raz turned around to stared at Cal. His eyes were wide.

“What are you doing?” Cal demanded. Anger, fear, and some other emotion oozed off him. Raz could not understand what was going with his brother, but he felt that it did not matter. Whatever it was, the Dark Prince would handle it. Ras was sure of that.

There was another thing Raz was sure of; if his brother realized what was going on, he would stop him. Cal would destroy his chances of getting want he wanted. Raz could not risk that. 

Looking at his brother for what might be the last time they see each other, Raz whispered, “Goodbye, brother,” and turned and entered the portal.

April 09, 2021 16:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.