The Holder of The Forresst Wand

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about a group of witches meeting up on Halloween night.... view prompt

1 comment

Holiday Thriller

The moon hung high in the sky, giving off a pale, waxy glow. Dark clouds moved swiftly across the ink black sky, all avoiding the same thing. A meeting was being held in the black forest of Hallows Creek, and evils from all around had gathered for the night to meet for the annual meeting on All Hallows Eve.

Gringeta, a witch from overseas living in the abandoned castles of Ireland, flew across the sky, flipping up and down on her broom and cackling wickedly. The screaming wind flew through her nearly balded head, tearing off her long pointed hat and carrying it dauntingly across the sky.

"Curse you, vile fog! Come back!" Gringeta shrieked, pointing her scabbed finger behind her. Her hat flew back to her in an instant, and Gringeta quickly spelled it and stuffed it back on her head.

"Cursed winds," she murmured, swooping low, past the moon and into a cloud. Gringeta lost height as she sped closer and closer to the ground. She disappeared behind a cluster of trees in the wood of Hallows Creek.

In a clearing in the middle of the forest, most of the witches were already gathered and awaiting the last witches arrival.

"She will be laattteee," Rittel hissed, plucking a long purple hair from her head. "She shalllllll be cursssseeddd for thissss."

"Now," Wisdel snarled. "We will wait."

"Let us not be hasssstttyy," Rittel said, curling her hair between her fingers.

"Vil she be late as she vas last year?" Huol asked, her thick Transylvanian accent ringing in the air.

"Shut up, you all!" Coturnea growled. She tapped her wand against the bubbling cauldron they had placed over a green fire. The otehr witches stopped. The witch with the wand was the leader. No one defied the witch with the wand.

"Aaaannnddd what if IIIIIIIII beheld the waaannnddd, Coooturneeeaaa?" Rittel cackled nastily. "What then?"

"Zat vill never happen, you vile rat," Huol said, slapping Rittel in the back. "You should know better, Vittel."

"I'll curssse you and Coturnea when I geeeettt the chanccceee!" Rittel yelled threateningly. "Then weee will seeeeeee who'ssss laughing."

"You will never aquire it, I'm afraid," Coturnea said bluntly, fingering the wand. "I will behold this until my dead."

"Aaaaannd thheeeennnn?"

"I will snap it!" Coturnea screamed. "Then I will be the only one who held the power of the treacherous Forresst Wand!"

"We should leave the wand with Coturnea," Wisdel snapped. She eyed Coturnea mysteriously. "I will serve you forever, my most frightful master."

"Excuse my absence, ladies, but I was late on account of forgetting my grizzly eye." Gringeta exclaimed, bursting through the trees.

"It'sssssss abbbout timmmeee," Rittel breathed.

"Who beholds the Forresst Wand now that Teritina is dead?" Gringeta asked, setting her broom down.

"Coturnea," Rittel said angrily.

"Very well then."

"Shall ve move on, zen?" Huol asked, motioning to the bubbling cauldron. "At ze vate ve are going, ze children vill be in zeir beds by ze time za potion is done."

"IT WILL GET DONE!" Wisdel said hurriedly. "Quick, Gringeta, give me you're grizzly eye."

Gringeta handed Wisdel a bottle with a large eye inside, and Wisdel emptied it into the potion.

"It is done, my Coturnea," Wisdel whispered. "It will be done before twilight."

"Very good," Coturnea said stiffly.

"I call this W.C.O.C.A. meeting to order," Gringeta said, a bit breathlessly. "Witches Capturing of Children Association members, please have a seat."

"What issss our ppplllaaaann thisssss yeeaarrr?" Rittel asked.

"We will poison the air and kill the children." Wisdel said.

"No." Coturnea exclaimed suddenly. "We will poison the air and the water this year."

"But vhy?" Huol wondered aloud. "Zere is no point to zat plan."

"Shut your mouth, fool!" Coturnea bellowed. "You will listen to me and only me! I have the wand of Forresst, do I not?!"

"But Huol makes a rather fine point," Gringeta said bluntly. "Explain."

"Must I?" Coturnea looked to Wisdel for help, but Wisdel simply shook her head. Coturnea rolled her eyes and let out an exasperated sigh.

"Poisonniiinnnggg the waaaatttterrr willll jjjuuusstt kiilll eevvveeryoonee," Rittel snarled.

"IDIOTS! YOU DARE UNDERESTIMATE ME? WE ARE POISONING THE WATER TO KILL EVERY FOOLISH MORTAL THAT WALKS THIS EARTH!!" Coturnea screamed.

"But ve are aready poisoning ze stupid air," Huol pointed out. "Vhy ze vater?"

"Because we only poison the air so that way children can breath in the poison," Wisdel explained for Coturnea, who nodded.

"Ah. So ve vill make ze vater be able to poison all mortals?"

"Exactly, my darling, thank you so much for explaining Wisdel," Coturnea murmured.

"Of course, My Master Witch," Wisdel squeaked proudly.

"Hush. Look."

Coturnea pointed a pale green finger at the cauldron. The pink potion inside of it was turning purple.

"It is nearly done," Gringeta said, her eyes widening. "The poison will be in the air."

"As in the water," Coturnea added. "That is what the gut of fish was for, Rittel."

"I ssssseeeee."

"BACK AWAY!!" Gringeta yelped suddenly. "The vocation is about to occur."

"Ze vocation..." Huol smiled. "My favorite part."

Suddenly, the potion from the cauldron flew into the air so fast that all the witches saw was a purple blur. Then, the liquid stopped in midair, floating around as if there was no gravity.

There was a silence as the witches watched with baited breath.

FOOM!!

The potion burst into millions of tiny dew droplets and spread out through the air, dipping itself in the water and contaminating anything in its path.

"Perfect." Wisdel said under her breath. "Is beautiful."

"Aye," Gringeta smiled.

"My master," Wisdel began, pulling out an oak wand from the depths of her cloak. "For you."

Coturnea's eyes lit up. "A gift. Wisdel!"

"For my favorite witch," Wisdel crooned.

Coturnea bit her lip, then seized the wand. "Oh, it's beautiful, Wisdel, you--"

Coturnea turned to dust.

Rittel, Gringeta, and Huol looked directly at Wisdel, who was cackling with delight.

"I have defeated the bearer of the Forresst Wand!!" She yelled, grabbing the Forresst Wand from the pile of ash. "I AM YOUR MASTER!!"

October 29, 2020 12:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Palak Shah
17:07 Nov 05, 2020

This story is truly amazing and very cleverly written. I enjoyed every moment of it. Very well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.