The Raindrop Olympics

Written in response to: Write about a character driving in the rain.... view prompt

80 comments

Adventure Funny

The rain would patter on our car windows, as we drove through the rain. Remember how we used to let the raindrops race? Remember childhood? We’d cheer for a raindrop that would be speeding down. 

More droplets would come, some connecting to others, and making the drop increase in size. They’d droop down to the bottom, and we’d cheer for the one that won. It was like watching track, but with drops of rain, acting as the people.

Some drops would sprint. Some would fall behind and lose the race. Some would get tripped over, and get blown off the window, and we’d be sad. Remember when we were kids? How we’d watch that race, like the Olympics, and it was a big deal.

It wasn’t, though. We’d cheer so loud, our mom or dad would force us to be quieter. The rainy days were the best. But we all grow up. Eventually, the raindrop Olympics wouldn’t be a thing anymore. And we’d miss our childhood. Just being a kid.

“Keep your eye on the road. Stop staring at those raindrops.” My wife would tell me, but I ignored her. I missed being a kid. Being out in the rain.

I loved being in the car when there was rain. I wasn’t a kid anymore, but at that time I felt childish. A twenty six year old child. The raindrops would patter on the window, and they got faster and faster as the rain became heavier. I cheered. I always loved the raindrop Olympics. It was almost a hobby. When I was a child, If it was raining, I’d ask my parents to drive me somewhere. And they’d say no.

That's why I ran out with a big piece of glass every day it rained. I propped up an umbrella to protect me from the rain. I'd hold the piece of glass in front of me, and the Olympics would start. 

“Go, go, go!” I’d cheer, as the raindrop speeded down the glass, and eventually got to the bottom. Every time I go to the car, I pray for rain. And it always comes. It's almost like Zeus knows me, and when I pray for rain, he makes it pour.

I hopped in the car today, and had to drive. It was raining. No more watching the raindrops come down. I was on my way to work, a dreadful place for all of us. I tried to keep my eyes on the road and not watch the drops on the window as they fell. I couldn’t resist though, so I rolled down the window.

Rain droplets splashed my face and got my new plaid t-shirt all wet, and my boss wasn’t going to be happy about that. I rolled the window back up, and felt a sense of relief. I had to look it over though. I did. It was a long game of the raindrop olympics. And then, the worst of all possible things happened. Boom. The word turned black after that. All I heard was the sirens. 

I awoke in the hospital, large cuts and bruises scattered all over my body.

“Where am I?” I groaned.

“You’re awake! And okay!” It was my wife. She gave me a big hug, being careful not to hit all the painful cuts and bruises, I flipped over on my side, and my arm felt like it was broken. And it was. So was my leg. My whole body was basically wrapped in casts.

“Am I alive? Or is this heaven?” I asked, and she answered.

“This is real life! You’re actually alive. Do you remember anything?” She asked, and oh boy, I had no clue.

“No. I just remember watching the raindrops. I never saw which one won the race.” I explained, and she frowned.

“Do you think I care that you didn’t get to see which raindrop won the race? Do you?” She asked, andI shuddered.

“No. I know you wouldn’t care. And that's the whole entire reason why I'm here right now. Because of a few stupid raindrops.” I said, and a sorrow bubble formed around me. 

“All I wanted to do was watch a few raindrops, and now I’m stuck here. All because of one single little raindrop.” I managed to get out, before bursting into tears.

“Hey. I’m here for you. Don’t forget that. And I love you.” She managed out, before bursting into tears, just like I did.

“I love you too.” My voice cracked, and I tried to hold back the tears, but I had to let it all flow. Like rain. You never even know when it might stop, or get heavier, or get lighter and lighter. It's just like life. Rain was always my favorite. Now I despise it.

What rain did to me. I’m stuck in this bed now. For months and months, maybe. All because of some rain. And I loved rain so much. I loved feeling the droplets hit my face, and seeing the water run off the umbrella as I stood there in the rain. My mom would always say I’d get a cold or something like that. But I never did. I guess parents like to tell lies, just so your kid could stay safe. I mean, no parent wants their kid getting sick. Right? Or do parents like it when their kids get sick? That would be terrible though.

I’m back in the car again. I’m watching the drops slowly fall down the window. I’m not driving, though. This time I’m in the backseat of the car. I’m younger. 

“Oh well, let's give a warm welcome to Benjamin Button!” I thought. The drops hit. Splat. Splat. Splat. I was cheering that day. Was this a flashback, or real time. Or did someone sneak a VR mask over my face while I knocked out cold in the hospital? No. That would be really weird. It was a flashback, in fact. And the raindrops would hit the window with a splat. When the rainbow came, the Raindrop Olympics would end. And the gold at the end of the rainbow? That's where the raindrop that won would be. The raindrop, and his gold metal.

September 18, 2021 15:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

80 comments

Sapphire 🌼
21:35 Sep 26, 2021

Hi! Saph here with her critique~~~~~~~ (sorry if this is too long lol) ✨I love the nostalgia in this story, how the story starts off with the MC reflecting on his childhood. Super great way to start it off. I also really like your take on the prompt, I think with a few tweaks here and there, it would definitely be winning story material! In this paragraph: "Some drops would sprint. Some would fall behind and lose the race. Some would get tripped over, and get blown off the window, and we’d be sad. Remember when we were kids? How we’d watch...

Reply

Thank you so much for the feedback! I really enjoy it when I get feedback, and espessially(How do you spell that?) the long comment! Wow! Also, how are you doing?

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
03:02 Oct 13, 2021

of course! especially :) I'm tired :P School and all. How about you? (sorry for the late reply, you can blame everything on S C H O O L)

Reply

Yeah. School is B-O-R-I-N-G!

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
17:29 Oct 14, 2021

I agree! I mean my class provides plenty of entertainment by the chaos they cause-

Reply

My class is just plain boring, and only sometimes people break a window.....

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
12:01 Sep 21, 2021

I have got another new story! Do check it out and leave me a review I wrote a similar story, a few months ago, it is called : TWO DROPS! Please do read it too!

Reply

Ok! I'll read both!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
16:10 Sep 18, 2021

Wow, overall, it’s a nice story. Some parts seemed a bit off, but other than that, it was a nice read :) I found a few errors, but this one just irked me: “I’d cheer, as the raindrop speeded down the glass, and eventually got to the bottom.” —> SPED! ‘Speeded’ should be SPED! Anyways, grrrrreat job :D

Reply

Thank you very much!

Reply

TJ Squared
16:19 Sep 18, 2021

Np :)

Reply

TJ Squared
16:23 Sep 18, 2021

;)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
21:41 Sep 21, 2021

yeah lol school does that to you

Reply

cOrReCt!! I just hate doing school.......

Reply

TJ Squared
03:20 Sep 22, 2021

But it’s your job ;)

Reply

yUp! And I can't get kicked out...unlessssss...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.