A story about someone breaking a long family tradition

Submitted into Contest #57 in response to: Write a story about someone breaking a long family tradition.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Drama Funny

In India in particular and in Brahmins in general, marriages take place amongst families of same caste and religion as a family tradition. But with education and probably with a willingness to do something unique, my cousin did something unheard of, unexpected of, untried before, unaccustomed by him and his family members and relatives.

Amidst uproar in the family circles, within closest cousins, amongst friends it became an issue that had answer not easy to find.

After having highest of qualification for his age, safest of employment in his kitty, rarest of credentials in his family, it was obvious that people who are normally considered to matter in finding an alliance for him felt let down.

In a largest of periods in the association with his family but having met his lady love in the shortest of duration, in the strangest of places, opened up the Hornet’s nest and decision defying reasonable reasoning. Some felt he was duped into such a relationship, many assumed it is just a child play, the conservatives in the relatives raised alarm and reached to a consensus to meet the lady loves family members and initially request them to back off from such a relationship as they do not belong to the same caste. Cousin being from Brahmin caste of Hindu religion and the lady love God knows which caste but for sure, nowhere close to the highest caste Brahmin.

No wonder there were a few broad minded who did not mind his decision to get married to a girl of his choice, even though she may not be of a complexion of the liking of others and of the community of their choice.

The request did not bring fruit so it developed into further persuasion on both sides. The cousin was interrogated, investigated, intimidated, instigated, and inundated with alternatives, options, opinions, but to no avail. He became hell bent to marry her or remain a bachelor.

The lady love also did her bit to put pressure on my cousin to take a quick and firm decision before she is constrained to look for alternatives, as her family cannot allow this to prolong and keep the matter in a limbo anymore.

All said and done the marriage took place without any pomp and fare from the cousin’s side as they felt lost in the battle and took the backseat for the moment in the hope that they may win the war even though they have lost the battle.

Years passed and to be precise five years elapsed but there was no sign of expansion in the family. The relatives of the cousin had sufficient reason to bring up the matter and allegations against the cousin of not adhering to the advice has resulted her not being able to conceive.

This caused concern in the family of the lady love and had to look for methods, strategies to confront and get over the matter before it becomes bad to worse. Consultation with doctors gained momentum and coordination activities speeded up. They finally came to the conclusion to adopt an orphan child. Ultimately after some deliberations and discussions they decided upon adopting a girl child.

Some felt it was a nice gesture as it was giving a decent life to an orphan and the wealth and earning of my cousin put to best use with philanthropic interests. A few others felt it was another trick adopted by the lady loves family to ensure that my cousin does not get out of the clutches of the lady love.

The family members of my cousin remained patient to see how it continues. But to the pleasant surprise of the family members of the ladylove she conceived and in a few months delivered a baby boy. The news of the ladylove conceiving had shocked but when she also delivered a baby boy they got perplexed.

The near and the closest relatives by now had resigned to the fate and also had change of heart especially after having seen that the ladylove has given birth to a baby boy.

Yes the relatives who were not so close had still had issues and they used to point out as and when possible, in whichever way possible.

When they meet at the gathering or any family functions and in situations where the rituals demand that the wife of the boy should belong to a particular religion for the function to bear the fruit that it is conducted for, the ladylove is not welcome.

Many relatives also wonder how my cousin and his ladylove is running the family with one child that is adopted, and the another child born to them as a natural birth. There is also belief and feeling that she was able to bear a child because they had adopted the orphan child and a conducive atmosphere was created which rendered it possible to conceive and that resulted in the birth of a child. Researchers have also stressed about the need for a conducive environment to assist in the conceiving and support the birth of a child. The Sociologists also find it interesting that orphans get to lead a better life than it used to be as an orphan and that too for no fault of theirs.

Such incidents have promoted for such marriages in the society with the drifting from Joint families to nuclear families and also due to the education opportunities and employment opportunities available to the females and freedom to take decision for their own welfare and their families.

The traditions values are also followed but in dire situations the contemporary necessities are also taken into consideration and solutions are found. In this endeavor the legal system of the nations, the scholars and learned men are also giving a helping hand to ensure that the humankind survive in peace and tranquility.

The mix of tradition and modernity has had its own flavor and kept the society vibrant and set examples for the future generations to follow, adopt, experiment and relish.

September 05, 2020 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.