123 comments

Creative Nonfiction Funny Historical Fiction

I am the legendary Dammit Tibbles, the mightiest huntress who ever lived. Fear me, all ye lesser creatures.


In truth, “Tibbles” is just what I've let David call me. I don’t care a dropped whisker for his calls, so it doesn’t matter if he calls me Tibbles, or Chunky Dumpling, or Babaganoush. It isn’t like I’m going to answer to any of it… though, when he eventually expanded it to “Dammit Tibbles,” it amused and flattered me on a deep level which I cannot quite explain.


I know it is the ultimate compliment, because I'm kind of a big deal in history. But we’ll get to that.


Despite the nonsensical name imposed upon me, he is a kind man, and I have been his “little lady” since two winters ago. He first came across me, shivering and half-starving, in a dirty alley where I had been dumped. Still young, I was able to eke out a meager living despite the competition, but fleas and the sordidness of my situation impinged upon my natural majesty during those hard few months. 


I knew I was destined for better than a grueling life on the streets, so when this particular human began presenting me with treats on his way by from time to time, I knew that this was a path of upward mobility for me, and I grew to welcome his visits.


Now, it wasn’t lick-at-first-sight. I continued my existence in that alley and in my surrounding territory, growing stronger, bigger, and healthier every week. I had even met another of my kind, a big, beautiful male with ebony locks and green eyes who mesmerized my young heart. We roamed together, and he showed me where to find the best mice.


A giver at heart – as kind and benevolent as I am regal – I was certain to save some of these murine victims to give to David in appreciation for all of the treats he had shared. If he was to be my human connection in this world, I wanted him to know that I did not take the relationship lightly. One should always gift their loved ones and dear friends, as a sign of respect and honor.


Oddly, he grimaced and never took the treats home with him, so perhaps he didn’t understand. I resolved to follow him home and deposit them directly onto his turf so that he would know they were, indeed, intended for his consumption.


After that, it was only a short time before I was allowed into his home (though, not with the gifts), and soon I found that the delights of a warm fireplace and tinned fish were too much to refuse. I saw less and less of my laddie love, until one day, I simply decided to stay and accept my regency. My dear tom had already found another, and so we had since said our formal goodbyes, though sometimes I would still sneak out at night and visit him for old times’ sake. These were the storied days of my youth – which I was soon to leave behind.


The months passed in pleasant repose. David was a quiet man of simple needs, who enjoyed petting me for hours as I rested against his leg in front of a cozy fire. He rarely entertained, so it was just the two of us, and though he was gone most days from our comfortable abode, I always greeted him in the evenings with mellow chirping and ankle weaves. He said more than once that I was getting a little too plump to fit between his ankles, and that he’d have to stop giving me so much tuna, but it was an idle threat, fortunately – for him.


One day, I unexpectedly found myself vaccinated and caged and stowed aboard a boat to cross the narrow sea, all in the span of a day. When we landed, David and I (and my soon-to-be-born kittens) were on a lush island where only the two of us mattered in all of the world.


As I surveyed my new domain, I remember thinking to myself that, truly, this must be what humans call heaven. 


Oh, the treasures that abounded here! I was so delighted to have the roam of the place that I increased my gifts to David many fold. Something else, too, intuited in me the need to become more productive in this manner, should I expect to adequately provide for my coming brood. 


I never understood David’s objections to my generous gifts, but they remained on the stoop and were never integrated into our evening meals. Nevertheless, I was certain to present something daily. My particular delight was a little creature which seemed to be a cross between a ground rodent and a bird. It looked like a bird, lovely glowing gold and olive feathers enshrouding it, but it didn’t fly like one. It simply ran and ran... and ran... hah!


It was such great fun that my whiskers twitch even now, remembering the thrill of those hunts. And the strange little creatures were everywhere, ripe for the plucking, so to speak.


It was during this time that I grew from just “Tibbles” to become “Dammit Tibbles,” legendary huntress extraordinaire. 


It was also during this time that I birthed my beautiful, healthy young kits. I got plenty of tuna while I was ensconced in caretaking my newborns, but never once did David think to reciprocate in bringing me my favorite bird. Humans just don’t “get it” sometimes, so I graciously overlooked the gaffe.


In short order, my little ones had grown enough to leave the nursery and join me in my hunts, the clowder of us wreaking absolute havoc on our new realm. 


Such were the exploits of Dammit Tibbles and her brood that we were even credited with a legendary achievement focused on that bird that I mentioned: I (we) had single-handedly wiped it from the face of the planet… a feat never before managed in the history of the world, and one which, to this day, is enshrined in human history books. 


They call it a “cautionary tale,” by which I can only assume they mean as a warning to all other species of our might: caution, Dammit Tibbles and her family are on the prowl here. Woe unto ye! 

February 25, 2023 06:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

123 comments

Lily Finch
20:13 Mar 01, 2023

You purr-fectly captured the imagery of the felines' familiarity with the birds and their irreversible damage of hunting the glowing gold and auburn feathers; the island's feral cats obliterated the wren. You may be just as good an historical fiction writer as you are at fiction. LF6. Thanks for the good read! Awesome job.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
20:24 Mar 01, 2023

Thank you so much, Lily! You really made my day. :) I took a Reedsy quiz just this morning and it said I'm a "Logical Writer," upshot being I'm more comfortable with technical and true-type stories, and that is spot-on!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathy Trevelyan
08:43 Mar 01, 2023

I really enjoyed this! Cats…. We love them, but Dammit Tibbles and her kind have finished off bird species in their time, dammit! Such a warm story, and I loved the cat’s perception of gifts and the human’s not such happy reception of them. They were so content with each other. Then he had to move them. Oh dear! I had to Google, and finding that David was a lighthouse keeper really made sense. Poor wrens. Naughty Dammit Tibbles!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:11 Mar 01, 2023

Tibbles would be preening if she read this review! *grin* Really appreciate you taking the time to read, and thanks for the lovely comments! :) PS Do I recognize your name from Globe Soup? I'm on their FB but not very active, but I think I see you there, so hello! :) I'm doing Space Pirates! :D

Reply

Kathy Trevelyan
15:20 Mar 01, 2023

Yes, I am on Globe Soup. Submitted for all five of the Sci-Fi stories, I must be mad! Hello!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:21 Mar 01, 2023

Well that is pretty awesome! And ambitious, I barely eked out the one! haha :) Can't wait to read them later!

Reply

Kathy Trevelyan
15:22 Mar 01, 2023

We should do a feedback swap.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:55 Mar 01, 2023

Msg'd you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
06:12 Mar 01, 2023

Fascinating, Wendy! It was riveting, and the voice of Tibbles is just purrfect. The historical aspect was woven in nicely. Poor little wren though! I’m also a bird lover. New Zealand has struggled with keeping the kakapo parrot from going extinct by predation; fortunately they appear to be having some success in that.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:10 Mar 01, 2023

Thanks very much, Cindy - I appreciate the encouragement! I had heard of the kakapo before, glad to hear they are making a comeback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
14:41 Feb 27, 2023

You did a fantastic job with the voice of this fancy feline. I loved this sentence: "the sordidness of my situation impinged upon my natural majesty during those hard few months." Is this based on the Stephen Islands cat? Enjoyed this one immensely.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:28 Feb 27, 2023

Yes it is! :) Thanks, Kt. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
04:18 Feb 27, 2023

I was cracking up the whole time reading this! we have cats... this suits them perfectly, the only thing is they don't give rats and birds as 'gifts' to us, they just leave feathers and body parts everywhere. I like cats... but I'm more for dogs. :)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
04:25 Feb 27, 2023

lol I'm glad you got a kick out of it! Yes, the partially-digested ones are sorta even worse, haha. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
03:40 Feb 27, 2023

Gosh…how did you churn this out so fast…and make it so excellent too. Tibbles is SO real. I can almost hear her voice. Then there’s that smugness. She’s just so darn human. Is anyone going to top this? I certainly won’t. I have some cat “tales” in my history but I’m definitely more a dog person. Might have to give this weeks prompt a big miss. Thanks for another great read.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
04:31 Feb 27, 2023

Well, just based on my experience, yes... yes they will top it! Many times over! haha :) But I had a lot of fun writing it, and your comment gave me a huge smile. Thanks for the lovely encouragement, as always, Viga! :)

Reply

Viga Boland
13:38 Feb 27, 2023

Anytime my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viga Boland
17:12 Mar 02, 2023

Wendy: a question if you have a second…and because you’re a bit of a guiding light and guardian angel to so many of us…as I read so many great stories now coming in on the cat prompts, once again I question the point of paying $5 to submit my piece to the contest. I’m happy if my followers just read and enjoy my little stories and leave me words of encouragement. So I can opt to “free submit”. But if I choose that option, apart from a handful of followers who support my efforts, will anyone else read it IF it’s not a contest submission? ...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:30 Mar 02, 2023

Well, you flatter me! Thank you Viga :-) in my experience, and the reason I think I get so many other votes and comments, is because I get out there and do it myself for others. I believe you are a judge, so I am really shocked that other people aren’t voting and commenting more on your stuff, because I know you already read and comment on so much. But that is how I think I am always at the top of the list as far as Miss Congeniality each week, because I get around haha…Which is not at all to say I don’t appreciate others doing that, and I...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
18:32 Mar 02, 2023

You know, I don’t know who’s in charge, but I think it is 100% realistic for them to at least allow the judges each to submit free each week. It’s not like you are getting paid to do all of that work. I wonder if there’s someone you could suggest that to.

Reply

Viga Boland
18:48 Mar 02, 2023

That’s not the worst idea, but I have a feeling that Reedsy has grown so big now that they aren’t too concerned about shouting the judges free time LOL. I have been studying how you and others have such a good following and so many fans, and yes, I am trying to follow your lead. However, all that give and take is very, very time-consuming. Between all my book review work, judging on here, and the critique circle work on here recently added to my Reedsy activities, I’m finding time a rare commodity. And like you, I am quickly concluding t...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:56 Mar 02, 2023

Lol Dark humor is better than none at all! :-) that is a really good idea about chicken soup, too! I have a list of places that only pay like 10-20 bucks per fiction article, but it’s not very difficult writing and it could help supplement your work here. I don’t have that info at work but I could give you it at home when I get there tonight if you are interested!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
22:55 Feb 26, 2023

Tibbles and visions of grandeur …. I loved the woe unto thee stuff :) … R

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:08 Feb 26, 2023

A cat's cat, for sure. :) Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
18:03 Feb 26, 2023

You are SO prolific! I knew you’d rise immediately to the prompt!! “It was an idle threat, fortunately – for him.” Perfectly captures the feline mindset and how they view their dutiful but inferior handmaidens and handmisters (?). “Never once did David think to reciprocate in bringing me my favorite bird. Humans just don’t “get it” sometimes, so I graciously overlooked the gaffe.” When the kids were little, before I came along, Sue had a huge blue-gray cat named Bill who one time brought a dead rabbit to the patio — ON EASTER! All I can gu...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:11 Feb 26, 2023

Oh my gosh, BILL! lol I cannot even imagine the trauma for the kids in that scenario! Ok I am seriously laughing out loud, I wonder if that means there's something wrong with me?! :P Thank you for the wonderful post script about cats, and for your very encouraging comments, as always, Martin. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roger Scypion
04:56 Feb 26, 2023

Excellent story! The essence of cat captured in witty prose! Kudos!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
04:59 Feb 26, 2023

Thank you, Roger! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
06:34 Feb 25, 2023

The Cat Who Single-Handedly Rendered a Species Extinct: https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/03/25/species-extinct/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
02:52 Mar 08, 2023

Hey Wendy! This was a clever story that made me smile! When my parents first got together, they owned a small home that used to be a farmstead. They had a cat who would frequently bring home many many treats for them to enjoy. They regaled us kids with stories of crazy half of life, snakes, birds, and the lake. The story made me smile and think of them. I really loved the way that the story captured the heart of these characters and I love that David, ultimately, really loves his newfound friend. I also love how this character had a name c...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
03:47 Mar 03, 2023

Awesome artwork by Martin Ross, capturing the majesty of the main character! https://imgur.com/a/HE44yP5

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.