67 comments

Romance Fiction Thriller

13 July 2021


Dear Lucas,


Yes, I know. How did I find out your name?


Look, I’m so sorry. I know this may sound a little strange. Part of me wonders if I should just leave this letter in the shadows, shutter off any attempts to approach you before I embarrass myself. I can’t help it, though. Like a moth drawn towards a beam of Klieg lights, I discovered that my entire being just has to hover around you. Ever since I saw your stunning hazel eyes in a post from 2017 on your blog “Frames”, they have been constantly playing in my mind like a slideshow.


Okay, so yes, I peeked at your online journal. So, sue me. I don’t think you can blame me, though. Curiosity killed the cat, so they say. What I know is that as soon as I saw the emerald green leather-textured header and the silver vine motif, I knew I had to see every single snapshot of those amber orbs, that I would give anything to make you smile even brighter than a photographer saying “Cheese”. I hope you allow me this flash of madness on my part.


Oh, I can’t believe I’ve written you this much without giving you a mental picture of me. My name is Anne Black. If that sounds familiar to you, that’s because Henry, the junior accountant assigned to audit your photography studio, is my subordinate in the firm. To be honest, Lucas, my days have always been just black and white: I wake up, eat the same overcooked porridge, go to work, and come home to the telly’s flickering images. Spotting your photo colorised my world, oh yes.


So, tell you what? The next time Henry comes over your atelier, I will accompany him. Who knows? Perhaps, once I’m in your field of vision, you might steal a regard my way. A girl can dream, right?



Hoping for your spotlight to be on me,

Anne


****


7 December 2021


Dear Lucas,


I’m still waiting for you, just so you know. No pressure, though. Perhaps, like one of those old timey film reels, your courage to talk to me takes time to develop.


Well, I hope you’re proud of me because I actually went to the office Christmas party. That’s right. Anne Roberta Black decided to wear one of those sequined dresses that makes me resemble a walking representation of bokeh and come to the very same shindig that I’d avoided for twelve years. Okay, if you must prod, yes, I did have fun. I sang “The First Picture of You” by The Lotus Eaters at karaoke, took selfies, even, gulp, posed for the official photographer’s snaps. If someone captured my emotions, put it in a canister, and displayed it in a gallery for the entire world to observe, everyone would be astonished at the amount of sheer joy contained.


I have you to thank for that, Lucas. You may find this hard to believe, but as soon as reached that particular still in your virtual diary of you in that Mario costume, your peepers jumping into the foreground of my soul like usual, for your friend group’s little Yuletide gathering, I felt the urge to want to keep up with you; to bear even just the likeness of that cheeky spirit I see in that shy smile. Yes, I went to that bash…because of you.


Would that be enough for you to open the aperture of your affections on me? I hope so.


A picture of longing,

Anne

****

10 October 2022


Dear Lucas,


My throat feels like it’s been chemically burnt by sulphates …and it’s all because of you.


Today, I went to the British Museum to attend the British Horror Film Festival. Yes, I decided to spend my entire weekend at the same event you had immortalised in about a dozen or so Polaroids you scanned and attached onto your blog…. even if before today, the only frightful movie I’ve seen is the family slideshow of my acne-marked, picture-unperfect sixteen-year-old self.


Never have I trembled so much as when I sunk into that crimson padded seat, watched those glowing chartreuse eyeballs projected at the audience point at me like an Instamatic, and squealed my lungs out. Seriously, if humans had an anti-shake mode, I would have dialed to it the entire time I was in front of the screen.


Oh, the things I do to try to seek you, to bask in the golden hour that is staring into your hazel eyes. Yes, I did locate you; your timid little smile when you passed by me holding two buckets of popcorn is now engraved in the silver-coated paper of my brain. However, as much as I attempted to holler at you to glance my way, as if I were a fashion photographer trying to shoot an editorial, you never once turned your head and gave me a glance. When I bumped into you again in the hallways of the museum, the viewfinder of your consciousness seemed to be on everything but me. Ugh!


One day, I hope, Lucas?


Asking you to look at me through a new lens,

Anne

****

1 February 2023


Dear Lucas,


Goodness me does this wig feel heavy, almost like carrying a camera and its tripod on my head! Is this what cover girls have to deal with?


Yes, I did reach THAT entry, the very same one that brought in a lot of cold into the palette of my imagination. I wouldn’t say that I was surprised; binging on your posts, I’ve seen snapshots of who you are, after all (as well as of…). Still, stumbling upon the fact that you prefer long, dark, luxurious hair to my blunt, blonde bob was like an invisible fist smashing a filter and the shards of glass flying into my open eye.


Of course, growing my locks to the image of your dream girl would take longer than a portrait artist creating a photorealistic painting. I had to do the next best thing, then, and book a hair salon appointment so they could attach these hair pieces that feel as if they belong better woven into a piece of tarpaulin than on someone’s head. I’m not going to lie; it all felt as if I had a prop from a magazine spread plopped on my head.


…and yet, you never once considered to turn your head in my direction to study everything, not even for a flash of a bulb. Come on now. I’m beginning to think I’m but an aberration in your head, that all this effort to get you to notice me is but noise to you. Please tell me it isn’t so.


Wanting the right angle to your heart,

Anne

****

14 October 2023

Dear Lucas,


Okay, this is getting ludicrous now. You mean to tell me that I bought those tickets to Paris, changed landscapes to see for a week, and still, you would not heed my call? How, Lucas, just how?


Yes, I did trawl your blog again to see what you’re up to, to see a still from the life I so desperately want to be part of. When I saw the Eiffel Tower in the background of those photos you just recently published, I felt my fingers hovering over the mouse, as if they were moths gathering around a 120,000 lumen spotlight, and clicking to purchase those plane tickets for myself. What? Don’t think it strange. If you were in my shoes, if you wanted just one golden hour with the person you fancy, you’d book passage on that flight too.


Well, sad to say for me, you still couldn’t dare look at the girl who jetted across the English Channel for you, continued to crop more and more bits of my heart as you never searched the panorama for me. I tried, Lucas. Whenever you shared pics on your Instagram profile, --- exploring the Louvre, eating at a bistrot in Montmartre, at the Airbnb you rented for the trip --- I raced around the City of Lights just to be near you. I was even so close, within reaching distance to you, to photobomb one of those Instamatic shots you captured at Le Café de Deux Moulins. Alas, it seems like your regard is stuck in a chrome frame.


When is it my turn to be at the foreground of your mind? Answer me?


About to snap in frustration,

Anne

****

3 May 2024


Dear Lucas,


Okay, you win. I’m not going to bother you again; I will blur myself out of the rest of forever you have clearly chosen to be in without me.


Lucas, I will never be her, won’t I? There’s no way I can be like Diana Lange, photojournalist extraordinaire, the brown-eyed, ebony-haired, amethyst-frocked beauty you had your arms wrapped around in that blog post from 2017. It will be her toothy smile your sparkling hazel eyes will point at during next year’s British Horror Film Festival. It will be her you include in captions of your holiday snapshots on every platform you’re part of. It’s her who is the subject of your portraits…and the object of your affections.


Staring at your happy faces on today’s issue of The Guardian, taking in that sumptuous veil Diana had on as she looked ready to pronounce her vows to you, I had to concede. I can not go on focusing on you when your spotlight is clearly on another. I can’t continue writing these letters to you in my diary when your vision of the future involves anyone apart from me.


I guess the only thing to do is to wish that your life with Diana is as picture perfect as you’d hoped.


Closing the aperture of my heart on you,

Anne

****

13 July 2024

Dear Nick,


Yes, I know. How did I find out your name…

July 09, 2024 15:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

67 comments

Amy E
08:39 Jul 26, 2024

It was really amazing; I love the way you write. It was a beautiful experience that stirred up many emotions and perfectly captured the sadness of unrequited love and the lengths one is willing to go to pursue it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:23 Jul 26, 2024

Thank you, Amy ! Indeed, it can be painful to have your love unreturned. Just, I suppose, don't stalk people if they're in a relationship. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
14:42 Jul 19, 2024

This is great. I loved the way you incorporated the photography references and the letter format works well. We get a picture of how obsessed/crazy your character is without you telling us directly. 😊

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:22 Jul 19, 2024

Thank you so much, Kate ! I'm happy you liked the photography-themed imagery and the format. One of my favourite things about the epistolary format is how well it can convey emotions, so I'm glad it worked. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:04 Jul 19, 2024

Ooo! Attraction turns to obsession. What lengths a person will go to. Creepy. Did he even get the heartfelt messages? You structured this well. My story wasn't submitted despite being to this prompt because it couldn't fit in an unexpected journey. My character talks about a journey to be made in the future due to the photo he has. But his journey to show the photo to someone is not 'unexpected.' You incorporated aspects of the prompt so well.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:11 Jul 19, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! Like I mentioned in the comments for "Radio Romance", as well as other comments here, my initial idea was a sad, unrequited love story inspired by Bread's "Diary". Then, I decided to lean into the creepy. Hahahahaha ! No, he didn't get the messages, but he was sure stalked. I think your story would have still worked with the prompt. A journey can be defined in many ways, so it would have been okay. Oh well. Thanks for reading, as per usual !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.T. Billups
15:52 Jul 18, 2024

I love how the obsession builds from tolerable to uncomfortable. Awesome story.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:00 Jul 18, 2024

Thank you so much, CT ! I'm glad you liked the build-up !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:39 Jul 18, 2024

A good story about obsession, a good way to tell it using letters, liked it 😀

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:38 Jul 18, 2024

Hi, Laura ! Thank you so much ! Yes, I do love my epistolary format. I'm happy it worked for you !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.J. Carlin
00:28 Jul 18, 2024

I am glad I read that! I was expecting a romance, but you have charmed and surprised me. A great read. I love the format you went with. Telling your story as a series of letters has a lot of impact.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:21 Jul 18, 2024

Hi, CJ ! Like I said in previous comments, I was actually going to go with a sad, unrequited love story, but then, I thought about going a bit darker than I normally would as a romance writer. I'm happy you liked the format too; I quite like using the epistolary format (In fact, my story for this week's secret theme is also in epistolary format.) to bring out the inner thoughts of a character. I'm chuffed it worked ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cody Jolin
21:34 Jul 17, 2024

Great story progression and use of photography terms throughout! The ending left me wanting a few more details in the cliffhanger, but that's just my want. A great short story!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:17 Jul 18, 2024

I'm so happy you liked it, Cody ! I kind of wanted to leave the end to be subtle so that readers could speculate how things would go now that Anne has a new guy to obsess over. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sandi Torrini
12:55 Jul 17, 2024

Very interesting! The story progressed from an inappropriate crush to downright creepy stalking. The ending was a fun surprise!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:16 Jul 17, 2024

Hi, Sandi ! Thank you so much for the read. Yes, it did escalate. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Terrie Stevens
15:55 Jul 16, 2024

Loved it. It was very imaginative and had my attention from the start. Thank you for sharing

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:59 Jul 16, 2024

Thank you so much, Terrie ! I'm glad you found the story imaginative !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
11:17 Jul 16, 2024

Ah brilliant! The star-struck obsessive. The letters were just in her diary though, so apart from her following him around, nothing for the object of her affections to be concerned about in the 'Misery' sense as he didn't know she existed. The perfect ending too. Reminded me a bit of Enimem's 'Stan', but with humour. A journey through letters.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:48 Jul 16, 2024

Hi, Carol ! Thank you so much ! Like I said, when I decided to lean into the dark side for this, it just kind of fell into place. Thank goodness indeed that the letters only remained in her diary. I'm happy you liked the style !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
17:19 Jul 15, 2024

Masterpiece. Enjoyed a lot.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:28 Jul 15, 2024

Thank you, Darvico !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keba Ghardt
00:49 Jul 15, 2024

You do a great job of letting the reader see how sinister the obsession is, while your character remains completely free of self-awareness. Love the cyclical finish

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:26 Jul 15, 2024

Hi, Keba! Like I said, I started with a sad unrequited love story, but eventually, I thought of leaning into the creepy. Glad it worked ! Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
17:18 Jul 14, 2024

Diary of a mad stalker !!! Creepy, sad, thrilling, and so intriguing. I love how her obsession builds with each letter; well done !! And, the ending is perfect; she simply cannot help herself.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:21 Jul 15, 2024

Hi, Myranda ! I'm so happy you liked the feel of the story, as well as how I executed the tension building. But of course, she found a new man to obsess over. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:02 Jul 14, 2024

Loved the ending on this one. Not sure if we should feel sorry for, or afraid of Anne, She’s rather fixated and a bit scary. Such great use of photography in the descriptions, very clever.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:37 Jul 14, 2024

Thank you, Michelle ! Precisely that. On one hand, Anne just wanted to be with Lucas. On the other, she stalked her and even tried to be like his girlfriend. I'm happy you liked the photography theme. Thanks for the read !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:37 Jul 14, 2024

Excellent imagery here. A bit of a private horror show going on in these behind the scenes glimpses into a stalker’s life. I like the ending which clearly shows that she has clearly not closed the aperture of her heart on him. Great job of showing the character.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:47 Jul 14, 2024

Hi, Helen !! Glad you liked the story. Like I mentioned in previous comments, I started with a sad, unrequited love story but decided to go a bit darker. As for closing the aperture of Anne's heart, well, it is closed on Lucas (and only because he got married), but now, it's open to Nick. Yikes ! Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Helen A Smith
08:51 Jul 14, 2024

I like it when you go a bit darker.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Glenda Toews
00:37 Jul 14, 2024

Hahaha...oh man, I was enjoying it and then oh my goodness I was creeped out by her and then I just laughed at the end what a nice fun story Alexis!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:43 Jul 14, 2024

Thank you, Glenda ! Like I said in other comments, I was going to go with a sad, unrequited love tale, but then, I chose to go the creepy route. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
VJ Hamilton
00:33 Jul 14, 2024

Spine-chilling! I love your precise descriptions and the pacing as the stalker draws ever nearer!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:15 Jul 14, 2024

Hi, VJ ! I'm so happy I was able to execute the creepy bits well. Thanks for reading and commenting !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
15:56 Jul 13, 2024

This is beautifully crafted, as usual. Why do we feel for the stalker and yet know we should fear her. Such insight into an obsessive personality at the extreme of the spectrum. And poor Nick. Let's hope he remains oblivious of the fret brewing, but... Girl, you can write.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:07 Jul 13, 2024

Hi, Beverly ! First of all, aww, thank you for the compliment on my writing. Precisely that, though. Anne is someone who fell in love with a client...that took it into the extreme. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
14:40 Jul 13, 2024

A unsettling stalker story for sure, but adding all those great photography metaphors made this more like a satire, I’m impressed you could keep it up! The ending was chilling - here we go again! Well done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:55 Jul 13, 2024

Hi, Karen ! Actually, I love using that style of using a theme for my imagery. It's in a lot of my stories. Hahahaha ! But yes, here we go again. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Justin Diaz
04:50 Jul 13, 2024

Crazy thing is that I've known someone like that, not to that degree but it did remind me of someone and you managed to capture how insanely attached someone can get to another that they built up a fantasy world where they're actions would be seen as romantic without seeing the real implications of their actions.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:40 Jul 13, 2024

Thank you so much, Justin ! It's true, though. Sometimes to cope with (in this case) unrequited love, the mind makes you believe a fantasy. I'm happy you liked this !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.