My New Year Resolutions

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story in the form of a top-ten list.... view prompt

47 comments

Holiday Creative Nonfiction Fiction

Title: My New Year Resolutions

By: Haripriya

Author's Note: Hello everyone! I hope that you're having a great Thursday and a lovely Christmas Eve! I hope you enjoy this story!

Number #1: Learn how to knit:

I have always been wanting to learn how to sew/knit because the idea of making your own things such as a sweater, gloves, socks, etc just sounds so much more fun and a bit more satisfying. Meaning, when you're wearing something that you made by yourself, won't you feel just so much more proud than wearing something you bought from Target? Not saying Target sells bad clothes, but saying that when you wear something you make, you just feel more proud and a sense of achievement about it. So I hope can learn knitting before 2022!

Number #2: Get Organized:

Honestly, I've been regretting a lot of decisions I have recently made, and I thought Oh man, if only I could have stayed organized! So this New Year, I want to make sure that I create a system of where everything should go and actually put in the effort to clean my room, not hide everything under my bed and lie to mom, claiming it's done because later on, I'll regret it. Though it might take me some time to practice being so organized, I think that if I put in the effort, I can do it.

Number #3: Try harder in Math:

When writing this one itself, my hands were shaking, trembling, and my heart rate boosted from 90 BPM to 140 BPM. Every time it was Math class, I get scared because I just can't understand all those numbers and all those variables, and all those problems! It's just way too confusing! Since my brain can't process any of the things my Math teacher even says, it thinks that it's time for bed. So I eventually end up snoring in Math class and disappointing my teacher, my parents, and failing Math tests. So I hope by the end of 2021, I improve my Math score.

Number #4: Go outside my comfort zone:

I tend to usually talk to only the people I've seen or I'm really close with, making my friend circle really limited. This year, I will promise to try hard and branch out. I want to make new friends and meet new people. Trust me, even last year, out of the thirty people in my class, I have only talked to three or four of them and never bothered to even look at the others. So I'm hoping that I'll make new friends. 

Number #5: Learn the Concertos in my Violin:

There are millions of concertos that famous violin composers have written, and usually, I wanted to stay away from them because I was getting intimidated when I saw all those notes and rhythms and...and, well, you get it. So by the end of 2021, I am hoping that I take the time and really learn at least five to six big concertos so that I can improve my violin techniques and skills much better. Also because I can show off to my friends about all the things I can play. 

Number #6: Do more still-life portraits:

My art teacher always lectures to me about how important it is to learn to draw still-life images, and I thought that she was saying this to me because she liked giving lectures and yelling at kids, but soon I understood what she meant. Drawing still-life things can really help any artist to have a much better sense of what they are trying to draw, and things like that. So I'm crossing my fingers that by the end of 2021, I can be much better at drawing this type of style!

Number #7: Learn how to cook:

So I don't want to be a full-on chef, but just want to learn how to cook a few things so that if I ever have to stay alone for more than a day, I can eat food. Some of the things I have always wanted to cook/bake are cake, cookies, salad, and pizza. Also, as a drink, I guess I want to learn how to make hot chocolate and milkshakes. But maybe, if I am really lucky, I can convince mom to buy an ice-cream maker and we can even make ice-cream together! The opportunities are just endless!

Number #8: Sleep more:

Many times I have slept less than 6 six hours, and when I wake up for school, I feel just horrible. This year, I want to try and maintain a good and healthy sleep schedule, mostly because I want to perform well in school. This usually happens when we have semester exams for all my 5 classes, and I study so much that I actually go to sleep at 2 am. So, I want to try and force myself to be in bed by 10:30 pm (maximum) so that I can get a good amount of sleep.

Number #9: Try to set goals:

I remember doing a research project on the benefit of goal-making and I found many articles and experts saying that it is a good habit, especially for school students, so I thought of starting one too! Maybe in 2021, I can actually get more of my goals and achievements done! I have also always wanted to feel that happiness when I fully succeed in a goal. So I hope that by starting this new goal-setting habit, I can get more things done in a day and be much more of a productive person!

Number #10: Convince mom and dad to buy me a Cottontail Bunny:

I have always wanted a pet in my life, especially a little bunny! Cottontails are my favorite types of bunnies because (hence the name) I love their little white cotton tails. It's so cute to just watch their little tails wag here and there while they're running! Also the movement of their ears are so funny and adorable to watch! So I am crossing my fingers that if I am a better student and become a better person, mom and dad will finally buy me a little bunny! 

~The End~

December 24, 2020 21:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

47 comments

Writer Maniac
14:19 Dec 25, 2020

I love this! It's so relatable and put a smile on my face! Well done! P.S. I posted two stories for the recent prompts called 'Game Over' and 'Not Worth It' which are pretty depressing, but I would love to know your thoughts on them if you're up for it :)

Reply

Yay! I am so glad you liked the story! Also, I am really excited to read two of your new stories! This is like my other Christmas gift!

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:13 Dec 25, 2020

They're pretty depressing stories, maybe read them after reading 'Merry Christmas to Me', I appreciate that you consider a gift! Merry Christmas!

Reply

No problem! Also, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
22:28 Dec 24, 2020

about 98% sure we are the same person...between the disorganisation, suckiness at maths, fact i gave up violin, love bunnies, and the inability to sleep...yeah we are the same person. Jokes aside, I really hope you achieve some, if not all of your goals! GOOD LUCK!!

Reply

Haha!!! Thank you so much Ava! I didn't know we had so much in common! :) Thank you though!

Reply

Claudia Morgan
22:31 Dec 24, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Claudia Morgan
22:33 Dec 24, 2020

🙂

Reply

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hello everyone! I wish you a Merry (early) Christmas and a happy Thursday! Quick things about this story: 1. I actually wrote this story pretty quickly because I felt that this was such a easy and a more laid back prompt, so I hope like that! 2. Many of these goals are also something that I want to try and learn next year, and comment below what goals you all want to achieve! 3. I really loved writing this story because it was really fun coming up with the lists and resolutions! I hope you all have a wonderful day! :)

Reply

23:27 Dec 24, 2020

loved reading this! your resolutions are basically mine XD i also play violin 🎻🎻🎻 :D - Amethyst

Reply

Thank you so much! Also, really? I never knew that! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Thank you so much for working on the upvoting thing!! :)

Reply

Thank you for upvoting meeeeeee 7000!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
06:10 Dec 27, 2020

Hello Haripriya! I really enjoyed reading this! I loved how you used the prompt to jot down your resolutions for 2021! I need to get organized, too, and coming out of my comfort zone is a definite yes! And exactly, I need to work on getting more sleep every day. I tend to sleep late because I keep thinking (about stories, ideas, my characters) and I just cannot help it! It was great reading this story!! Keep it up and keep writing!

Reply

I am so glad that you enjoyed this story Akshaya! :)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
06:39 Dec 29, 2020

Of course! I enjoy reading your stories, they are really interesting and fun! :)

Reply

Aww, really? Thank you!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
08:27 Dec 30, 2020

My pleasure! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:15 Dec 26, 2020

I got a new story out ^^

Reply

I'll check it out!

Reply

B. W.
23:39 Dec 26, 2020

thanks ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Wow Haripriya! I just looked at your library! three stories already! Wow, you write so fast and yet each is so unique! Loved this! Great work, I can def relate to it:) LOVE no ADORE bunnies! Super cute! Great job once again:)

Reply

Thank you so much Varsha! I am so glad you think that way! Especially since I had my break starting after the 18th, I had so much free time! You and me are the same person when it comes to bunnies! :) Thank you!

Reply

Same! And I totally agree:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
13:33 Dec 25, 2020

hey harapriya... other than 5 and 8 all of them are my goals _ i don't play violin - i sleep a lot the story was good and i liked it:)

Reply

Oh wow, thank you so much! I had no clue many of these goals would relate to you!! :)

Reply

Wirda Bibi
16:43 Dec 25, 2020

Never mind :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
23:33 Jan 01, 2021

Wow! What a nice way to build up a story! I totally relate to your get organized resolution because my room is sooo messy, it looks like a pigsty! (Especially my closet lol) I hope you achieve your goals and have a good result in your resolutions! Happy New Year!

Reply

Thank you so much Coco!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
00:38 Jan 02, 2021

You’re welcome!🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
00:39 Jan 02, 2021

You’re welcome!🥰 (P.S. Do you like books about drugs and crimes? I’m writing one right now. I hope you can maybe read it. Thanks)

Reply

I'm intrigued!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
17:50 Dec 26, 2020

Hola

Reply

B. W.
18:42 Dec 26, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

Doing good! I'm reading a good book after writing a story!

Reply

B. W.
18:48 Dec 26, 2020

Nice ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.