Contest #241 winner 🏆

When I Read Beckett

Submitted into Contest #241 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected betrayal.... view prompt

73 comments

Coming of Age Crime Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of sexual violence.

…in…in this room…cursed room…loved?... cursed…. where she slept…half-grown in her hometown t-shirt…shorts…no shorts…t-shirt worn with holes…on the floor…he having thrown it…under the bed…dust collected and swept and settled again…. and again…who?... he… not she?...gracious!...there for the first time…assuredly last time…no boys in the room, father said…keep out!...nodded her head… but in the room…blue light hugging the window…scotch tape…peeling off the paint whether chipped or freshly laid or…exhumed…he found her in the— no, not found…held…held her in…under doomed blankets…a thumb…under a thumb…twisted under a thumb … urgently… unabashedly… shackled by his name … no name… names unknown… two in the bed… one… world flaring by… unedited film chopped and hacked… a sore thing… ulcers blooming somewhere…holes in her memory…in her body… hush now…but the slicing… husssshh I say!… feeling…feeling her own atomic skeleton… so quickly destroyed… so quickly defiled… so quickly filled…it might serve to relax…dissociate… but incapable… already unaware…the girl… the girl…but the girl?... remember what… remember the party… supposed to be where?... with whom?... taken home… taken home with… she left the house?... in the evening… bottles on the porch… tequila stinging chapped mouths… he pours… and pours… and pours… and pours… and disappears… a spoon of sugar in a wet glass… moon casts a shadow… bloody crescent… stray sequins scratch her shins…they flake off…she is whisked away…smells distilled…the party…what party?… the secret of where it is…where it was… must have been…seen by people scantily dressed… a stain on the night… she wore… the idea of what she wore… received poorly… with exhilaration… noted…clicked… recorded and frozen forever as she was… those flashes… bright in her eyes… phone cameras glinting… periphery irritated…some kind of no man’s land… couldn’t breathe… too hot… couldn’t hear her voice… escape…wanting it all to fade to black…anywhere else but here…so leave… leave!... let out into vapor… where did she go?... seen?... by anyone?... taken home… taken…transported, goods handled… express shipping for dolls…laid to rest in a bed of bubble wrap…resting… in bed… then: a stranger…no… not a stranger… couldn’t be a stranger… to know her bed… in her room…been in her room before… but father said no…yet…so-called friend!… always... easily trusted…hand on her lower back… her sentences half-finished … since days with velcro shoes… there like a mole… constant… dependable… then… then he…then swam in her mouth… syllables of his name…they’re in her teeth…to be scooped out by dental floss… stuck… tip of her tongue… his finger on her pocked tongue… a moment of gagged silence… lips form sounds learned in primary school…not a scream…some sounds…vowels from when she was small and they…the words tasted new… like a finger?… a thumb... no!... like English… children who knew the flavor… but she…the bitterness…she… muffled sounds and play and muffled sounds… out of touch… English more like aspic to her….at the time…at that point… but finding… somehow she found…but one universal language in hands and dirt under fingernails… fingernails on skin…raking on skin… touches…sticking to drool… dirty kisses on monkey bars…language of friendship… a friend…a friend who understood her warped words… English forgotten… shoulder by shoulder… kisses with friends…wood chips licking open shoes… pigtails on her head with the little bows… and she forced herself to smile… yanked by the ends… tickled by the belly… touched… little boys… being boys… she did not realize…long before parties…she did not realize… laying in the bed pigtails long gone…gone where? ... time spilled over from a cup … splaying… no, spreading … on the duvet… uncovered, but why?... the thought of… at the party… or rather… God!... zippers undone, knots untied… laces in her shoes… unlaced…command strips flayed from a mirror shattered on the floor… cut feet in the morning– spliced… she struggles…finds herself in— out of herself… second of incomprehension…hours…spanning hours… erased and unnoticed by a blink…Gosh!...but her mind… a washing of sorts… reckoning with punishment…lack of evidence…guilty!...punishment… guilt in a sealed box open only to her… vanished memory… insufficient evidence… inadmissible… poured out in measured shots…now love is an apparition in the wall… friendship buried in a shallow grave… unseen…slipping through a groping fist… strange fist groping at… at… her native tongue resurfaces… from the cradle… from mother’s milk…forming sounds… sounds like no… foreigners deaf to no… adequately expressed… speak English!... but she can’t… she can’t… gibberish garbled in her throat…congealed from the inside… speak! {error} speak! {error}…suddenly… indubitably… he!…unadmitted… swine!...door left unlocked… having forgotten to lock…brought her home without keys…carried on his shoulder… a friend… helping hand…by a friend… since she met him… day one… fat black eyes, dirty handshake… playgrounds…those same pigtails sinuous in his fingers… friendship… firm… invitations to places… introductions to people…been in her room before… some cousins to know of… mario kart in his basement… pizza on trampoline forts…sharing generously… growing new body parts… sheltered…without doubt?... certainly not!...how could she… not to see it coming… a girl and a boy…together… as friends…?... not to trail the wicked scent… perhaps unassuming…perhaps mistaken… unaware… naive… guilty… secretly wanting… once or twice a flirt… in sobriety dripping with meaning… he reads…pours tequila into shot glasses… her language stinks of filth to interpret as… in that tight skirt… combinations of… stop right there!... can it?... when it comes down to it…guilty…guilty…guilty…there in her body… there in her hands… and the cameras…a still life…friends seeing it happen…seeing it all happen… indelible…the guilty party… fine!...let it be this way… crumbs for the world… chewed on in daylight… school hallways chattering like shivering teeth…goosebumps…her flesh…feed the hungry… fed to friends…he… notches in his ribs… on her… grating… somewhere in the room… but she can’t speak… can’t see… on the desk somewhere… a hairbrush… a stone…to fight with…fight back…she can’t move… fight back…  and hurt a friend…how the story goes… pitched in the courtroom… self-defense…when judgment day comes…and if it comes… who protects friends?...she…she… language unserving…there in her body… there in her hands…there in her body…there in her hands…a friend…and she…she…says nothing…does nothing…in this room… in…

March 16, 2024 02:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

73 comments

Mary Bendickson
02:08 Mar 17, 2024

Broken. Congrats on the win. Broken is good.

Reply

Liz Grosul
23:19 Mar 17, 2024

Yes, completely. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
01:56 Mar 17, 2024

This is something else! So totally unique, gripping. frightening, yet powerful. Well done!

Reply

Liz Grosul
23:18 Mar 17, 2024

Thank you Trudy. This means a lot to me. I appreciate you reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luca King Greek
12:46 Mar 25, 2024

Brilliant!

Reply

Liz Grosul
14:40 Mar 25, 2024

Thanks Luca!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
06:29 Mar 23, 2024

Congratulations Liz. Excellent read!

Reply

Liz Grosul
14:44 Mar 25, 2024

Thank you, John!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
16:57 Mar 17, 2024

Wow! To tell a story this way alone shows such guts, and then to nail it all the way — compelling, vivid, and a literary feel to boot. Well done!

Reply

Liz Grosul
23:18 Mar 17, 2024

Thank you Martin! I find it very difficult to write about topics like these, because I don't think quotidian language can even begin to cover the horror and pain behind these experiences and the last thing I want to do is minimize. I'm so relieved that you found this form compelling. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
14:50 Mar 17, 2024

I love your use of Beckett's style to tell this emotional and gripping story! It begs to be read more than once with a complexity that adds layers with each reading. Such a different, yet strong way of telling the story. Having a theater background myself, I really appreciated the pacing of the story. I could see this adapted for the stage!

Reply

Liz Grosul
23:15 Mar 17, 2024

Thank you David! I've been reading a lot of plays recently; Beckett really surprised me and I couldn't stop thinking about Not I. It touched me and I wanted to take a stab at it myself. I'm honored that you think my version works. I appreciate you reading.

Reply

David Sweet
13:37 Mar 18, 2024

I thought it was unique and well-done. I wish you well in all of your writing endeavors. I realize as a college student your time is precious but keep it up. Unique perspectives and voices are needed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kai Reed
15:32 Apr 05, 2024

this story touched my heart; it is such a meaningful piece of work. as someone who understands this story all too well, i believe you portrayed it in all the right ways. keep writing. you're going to go places.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Luca King Greek
14:45 Apr 04, 2024

I think this is audacious and really good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Breeze Eclipse
16:32 Mar 29, 2024

Had to read twice to get it. Masterful!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Diamond Keener
22:14 Mar 28, 2024

"Not I" is one of my favorite pieces by Beckett. I couldn't help but read this story in the voice of Billy Whitelaw in my head. This was a seriously great use of style. Congratulations on the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
D H
16:41 Mar 28, 2024

Beautifully written. Good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:28 Mar 28, 2024

Congrats on the win. Really interesting way to tell a story. Somehow I can imagine the person talking, walking, messing the hair while trying to understand what had happened ( that’s how I picture the scene, as if we were watching a play in the theatre). Well done 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
BROOKLYNN LOBB
16:00 Mar 27, 2024

i was utterly confused to read it but so powerful

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:17 Mar 27, 2024

What a unique way to tell your amazing story! I felt like I was in the dream with all of the ordered randomness coming at me. A tragically fantastic story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chad Eastwood
16:43 Mar 26, 2024

Fantastic! A story and a poem in one. Well done tackling this in such a subtle and skillful way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Paul Simpkin
07:35 Mar 26, 2024

Congratulations on your win. You deserve it for such an effective story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
23:55 Mar 25, 2024

This is good. Difficult format to read but it’s punchy this way. Well done and congratulations.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Story Time
22:18 Mar 25, 2024

I'm a big fan of stream of consciousness, but it's so hard to get right. Here, I think you really excelled, and it's because you have such a strong voice. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cara Fidler
15:41 Mar 25, 2024

A great job Liz. So original and so descriptive. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
E.L. Lallak
06:34 Mar 25, 2024

...in... This story... I felt nausea... I tasted tequila...I felt...Pain...Brilliant Beckett...love your name...liz Deserving...The Win:)

Reply

Liz Grosul
14:39 Mar 25, 2024

Thanks E.L:)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.